WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Oh, admit it. We've ALL done it. There's no shame in it. So you experimented in college a little. Who cares? It's 2011, everybody plays an RPG of some kind these days. Wait, you thought we were talking about- Oh. Awkward. Well, no judgment either way. Anyway, this week we want you to cross the streams of geekery and everyday life. Give us your best ideas for how tabletop RPG concepts might apply to real life. Sure, you have your obvious "Tie of +1 Professionalism" gag, but do some research and dig a little deeper into the fantasy worlds of D&D, Warhammer, GURPS, World of Darkness, Shadowrun, Pathfinder, and the like. Now for the rules:

• No text only designs. You must have a graphical element.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

I was a little prolific this week, since I had a friend helping with ideas.

Here's the first one, with help from lpcampbe:

The idea with this was kind of a triple-meaning:

1) Natural Beauty should automatically add to one's Charisma (CHA), so a beautiful scene, itself, should be +CHA

2) The Shirt, when you wear it, should add to your CHA

3) The person wearing the shirt might be proclaiming themselves to have +CHA

lyonscc

The second one, also with the help of lpcampbe, is this:

Looking at past use of logos as parody, this hopefully works, since we're going for a double-meaning of "life".

lyonscc

The next one, I was experimenting w/ half-tones, textures, and gradient mesh (converted to half-tones):

(Early on in the week, I took a bunch of "every day" things I get involved in, or in discussions on, and tried to tie them to RPG aspects.) Here, I tried to combine the idea of writing music and dice-based RPG's, where your decisions in composition would be based on a roll of the dice.

lyonscc

This one tried to mash up politics/elections with RPG's.

In this case, if I were LARPing an election, I would assume that Sauron would have a lot of folks in his employ. In choosing style, I figured he'd want to use early 20th Century propagandistic styling, updated and popularized again in 2008 by Shepard Fairey.

lyonscc

Mixing Facebook and RPG weaponry:

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
lyonscc wrote:This one tried to mash up politics/elections with RPG's.

In this case, if I were LARPing an election, I would assume that Sauron would have a lot of folks in his employ. In choosing style, I figured he'd want to use early 20th Century propagandistic styling, updated and popularized again in 2008 by Shepard Fairey.

Holy shoehorn, batman!

Nothing follows.

lyonscc

One more with lpcambpe (who loved the movie "Tangled" and demanded that the Frying Pan do the most damage):

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
lyonscc wrote:***5 designs****

Did you get any sleep lately? Just kidding, Goodluck!

edit : more than 5

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

lyonscc

chennai8 wrote:Did you get any sleep lately? Just kidding, Goodluck!

edit : more than 5

Did I mention that I deal with insomnia in the winter months? (and thank you)

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

No sketch yet but I'm doing a shirt with an employment officer asking "Any special skills you would like to list?" and a dude dressed in full Wizard get-up saying "I'm a 14th level Wizard"

Any thoughts or comments?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

And the designs...
roll in.

move along

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
j5 wrote:And the designs...
roll in.

Ha!

okiedukie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages okiedukie
lyonscc wrote:The second one, also with the help of lpcampbe, is this:

Looking at past use of logos as parody, this hopefully works, since we're going for a double-meaning of "life".

I like it, but you might get into trademark issues since it looks like an exact copy so far:

TM Reg

Maybe remove the slant/change the font a little?

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

I've been working on a few concepts that might be off topic. Does this derby deal only with table top RPG's, or can we include video game RPG's, like Final Fantasy and Diablo?

taternuggets

Radscoolian wrote:I've been working on a few concepts that might be off topic. Does this derby deal only with table top RPG's, or can we include video game RPG's, like Final Fantasy and Diablo?

Yeah, I asked that question in the old thread but Travis lives to ignore me. That guy hates me.

Nothing follows.

j5

taternuggets wrote:Yeah, I asked that question in the old thread but Travis lives to ignore me. That guy hates me.

I answered you, FWIW.

move along

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

taternuggets wrote:Yeah, I asked that question in the old thread but Travis lives to ignore me. That guy hates me.

Well, I was on vacation, but I might have still ignored you were I not, Taternuggets, bane of my existence.

But since someone else asked it, here goes: tabletop or video game isn't important so long as it's clear we're dealing with role-playing in some way. SFW role-playing that is.

taternuggets

You poke the bear, you get answers.

Nothing follows.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
tgentry wrote:Taternuggets, bane of my existence.

Tell me about it.

taternuggets

ignorant wrote:Tell me about it.

You shut your mouth and get to working on our shirt.

Nothing follows.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

I have 3 so far...

taternuggets

j5 wrote:I answered you, FWIW.

And I appreciated your acronym-laden answer that I had to google to understand. Thanks.

Nothing follows.

j5

taternuggets wrote:And I appreciated your acronym-laden answer that I had to google to understand. Thanks.

Knowledge is power.
You are most welcome.

move along

squarerootofpi

quality posts: 8 Private Messages squarerootofpi
graffd02 wrote:I have 3 so far...

Love the first one! In for three if it wins.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
lyonscc wrote:
Here's the first one, with help from lpcampbe:

1) Natural Beauty should automatically add to one's Charisma (CHA), so a beautiful scene, itself, should be +CHA

2) The Shirt, when you wear it, should add to your CHA

3) The person wearing the shirt might be proclaiming themselves to have +CHA

Can you put the lettering under the image or something? The lettering over the pretty picture kinda ruins the pettiness, and therefore the CHA bonus, IMO.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
graffd02 wrote:I have 3 so far...

The first one made m buying finger twitch, and then the second one made me laugh heartily. Will be voting for two for sure!

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
lyonscc wrote:Mixing Facebook and RPG weaponry:

I pike this.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
lyonscc wrote:One more with lpcambpe (who loved the movie "Tangled" and demanded that the Frying Pan do the most damage):

I love that the oven mit is 1d1-1. I loled.

Would the frying pan be considered a two-handed weapon?

lyonscc

Oh - I forgot this one:

lyonscc

blanked wrote:Can you put the lettering under the image or something? The lettering over the pretty picture kinda ruins the pettiness, and therefore the CHA bonus, IMO.

I actually did a version like that, but lpcampbe and my wife liked CHA over better than under.

I'm still mixed:

lyonscc

missmissa07 wrote:I love that the oven mit is 1d1-1. I loled.

Would the frying pan be considered a two-handed weapon?

I think the frying pan can actually be like a ba$tard sword, wielded one- or two-handed

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
lyonscc wrote:I actually did a version like that, but lpcampbe and my wife liked CHA over better than under.

I'm still mixed:

Hmm, I'm not really the target market. Those who are actually involved in the D&D world would be the ones to ask which is more accurate.
My taste always runs to having the nerdy hidden in the pretty, still there of course, but not the first thing you would see.

Edit: Maybe if you had the stars spell it out instead of the solid white on black text it would be a happy medium.

hunterog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterog

- I'd definitely go with the text under the design. It's quite an attractive image and would be a shame to see it obscured!

lyonscc

blanked wrote:Hmm, I'm not really the target market. Those who are actually involved in the D&D world would be the ones to ask which is more accurate.
My taste always runs to having the nerdy hidden in the pretty, still there of course, but not the first thing you would see.

I agree. Her idea was just to have +2 CHA and nothing else. I figured there would be no allowance of text-only designs and said we needed a pretty graphical element to go with it. I'd started on an Aurora pic, and thought that would work if I finished it, though I tried something else quick and dirty first:

My wife and lpcampbe both voted for the CHA-over-the-aurora graphic (and my wife's got a professional aesthetic eye), so that was my first option (though I'm hoping to get some feedback today before I make my final choice).

Edit: I would have converted the white lettering to a cut-out mask to reveal the rainbow if I'd finished this one.

lyonscc

blanked wrote:Maybe if you had the stars spell it out instead of the solid white on black text it would be a happy medium.

Interesting - I may try that. It kind of moves away from the original suggestion, but I really like it...

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

well, i don't have to check the derby for a week since i've never played any type of rpg game. see ya next thursday when the next derby theme is announced.

j5

lyonscc wrote:

My wife and lpcampbe both voted for the CHA-over-the-aurora graphic (and my wife's got a professional aesthetic eye), so that was my first option (though I'm hoping to get some feedback today before I make my final choice)

I disagree with both of them. The big white "Times New Roman" lettering over the pretty picture seems garish to me. I'd prefer to see it more subtle.

move along

Randyotter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Randyotter

Here is my entry, I sometimes wonder if I am broken in the brain :S