thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Cotton Armor

HeartlineTwist wrote:http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Glamer_Subschool

Thanks!

flemtone wrote:Honestly, I don't game at all (except for chess and the occasional Monopoly marathon with our kids), but even I've heard of 'glamer'. Maybe it was in the 'Dream Park' series by Niven and Pournelle, but I caught the reference when I first saw the shirt.

Arcane? You bet, but I'm older than Gandalf himself...I was his high-school football coach when he was my star quarterback. I told him to stop putting the ball in the air and work on his running game. My exact words to him were...

Ha!

xarous

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xarous
Re: My Quiver

Does this shirt also come with some chicken?

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
j5 wrote:Reminds me of this:

I guess Corgi's are popular as swordsme...uh swordsdogs

I actually saw that one a while ago, but it didn't consciously come to mind when I was working on this. Subconsciously, maybe, but I can't really say for sure! :T

collinvh

quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
Spiritgreen wrote:And for the more adventurous, roll twice for fusion cooking!

Go.... Fried Chicken Ice Cream!

Yeah, and some fish meatloaf

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
jvcline wrote:Please. He even has the same/similar font type as Pokemon. This is just an example of not being able to meet the OBVIOUSLY intended criteria of the submission being tabletop-related and hunting for an excuse to glorify nothing more than cutesyness.

It's not inspired, and it's barely original, yet it still racks up a boatload of votes.

Sickening.

Since people often elect not to read before jumping to conclusions, I figured I would post this again. Quoted from tgentry, renowned woot staff member, from before the start of the derby.

"...tabletop or video game isn't important so long as it's clear we're dealing with role-playing in some way. SFW role-playing that is." (bold added for emphasis)

That is all

girlysatan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages girlysatan

Long Post ahead...
What's with all the pokemon hate? I think this entry fits fine in this derby. Pokemon is actually a card game (aka tabletop), not that it matters since they said role-playing is more important. In that case, I always thought of the game itself as being a Role Playing Game, because at the root of it:

1. you are role playing a kid that is given a quest: to fill your uncle/grandpa/crazyoldguyfromthevillage's pokedex with ALL the pokemon!
  2. you go off and adventure with your base fire/water/plant/insomegameselectric pokemon (kind of like a base weapon/base stats you start with in D&D)
  3. all your pokemon have stats, which you can raise or change (again, like those stupid sheets without the need to erase or redo them all over again because its digital and not a freaking sheet of paper >.<)
  4. there are the usual monsters you fight out in the field (OMGbigspidersAAAH could be OMGspearowsEEEE), or recurring baddies that you have to fight within the storyline, plus your rival, that I always named jerkface or another name that I probably can't post =3

Overall I think there are plenty of other ways it can be seen as an RPG. RPG video games were just based off the table top games anyway until they evolved into what they are now (heh get it? evolved? no?). I think that's why they allowed role playing in general.

Also there are plenty of entries that don't completely fit "tabletop rpg concepts" but they haven't been rejected. I'm sure they are willing to let the artist work something up especially when they have a small time frame. Can you make up a brand new idea, design it, make it polished enough to get submitted, and send it in the next day? What about three like he normally does? It takes me weeks to make a piece of art, whether its digital or not. I make pixel art, and you would think its easy. But getting the shading correct can take hours even if you are experienced, and don't even think you can get it done fast if you work 8-9 hours a day. Mine aren't even large pieces, they are less than 50pxl in length XD

Ramyb knows his audience. That's why he gets so many votes. He's not a cheater, or someone who makes something that doesn't fit. He makes his art so it appeals to a wide range of people. And it shows when he wins, because they sell like crazy. I just don't like to see so much disdain for someone who does very good work over and over again.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
Re: Kitty evolution

I would like to point out to everyone that Pokemon is, in its own way, an RPG. In the games, you play the part of a youngster who goes on his/her way to become the ultimate Pokemon master. In this sense, you are playing a role that does not exist in real life. To quote from Wikipedia:
A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.
-In the Pokemon games, you are assuming the role of the Pokemon trainer. You act out this role by catching Pokemon and advancing the story through battling gym leaders, etc. It is, without a doubt, an RPG.

Also--Yes, it is a video game--but so are things including Final Fantasy and WOW. Surely you wouldn't say that those video games could not be accepted in this derby?

I agree that Ramy's designs often skirt the line of theme, but I actually believe this shirt is very on-topic and is much more so than many of the other entries this week.

missmissa07

endangeredomega wrote:A valid point, considering that I only see one dragon on this list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_Fictional_15

How did I not know this existed? It's genius!

Also, love the shirt odysseyroc! It's always nice to see one of yours in the fog .

missmissa07

Re: Kitchen Arsenal

I really wish this shirt was doing better. I find it ridiculously clever and incredibly fun! Hopefully it will make a last-minute shoot into the fog, but if that doesn't happen, then I am hoping it at least gets an HM!

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525
xarous wrote:Does this shirt also come with some chicken?

THIS!

orrla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orrla
morgankohl wrote:I LOVE this shirt. It is incredibly well done, but I'm a girl...and that would be kinda weird...

I agree with you there. It'd be great if the reverse was available too. :/

smklung

quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung
Re: Kitty evolution

Regardless if this design is on topic or not, it's uninspired and uninteresting anyway. Even the Ramyb minions haven't loved it enough to push it into the fog yet.

acallens80

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acallens80

I had to vote for this shirt before the rejection-bot sent this contribution to the island of misfit shirts.

No shirt template,
off topic
been a few years since high school Spanish, pretty sure it should be el queso.

...and the sound you hear is of the executioner coming.

Re: Anchored in Cheese

Setzer13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Setzer13

Love it. But it would be better on a black shirt. Looking forward to more in the future.

girlysatan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages girlysatan
Re: Critical Hit

I love the expression on the rex's face. Hehe.

cliff75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cliff75

Nice shirt. It's my fav.

TheFlyingLime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheFlyingLime
Re: Always follow the experienced Gamer..

I don't feel qualified to wear this, but I need it to exist so I know who to follow! GMV

elmosuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman
Re: Forest Fantasy

This is classic.

elmosuperman

Re: Inner Dragon

Goo to see some new names around. Best of luck to you. I like your characters. +1

elmosuperman

Re: Wizard Skills

Your cartoon style rocks! Always a fan.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Pouches of Holding

Aw, c'mon fat angry rodent- you can do better than that! More votes, peeps!

bob1991

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bob1991
Re: Have You Seen My Stapler

I watched this movie for the 100th time the other night. And now it's on here. It must be fate that this will win or else I will burn this building down.

paigeg

thatrobert wrote:Cool shirt but I prefer mine.

I think post length made Woot truncate the quote I was replying to but....
"Glamer" I will agree that it's an archaic Scots word that has since evolved into 'glamor' and 'glamour'. Still, it reads more like a joke - 'G-Lamer', as others have pointed out above. I guess I get it, whichever way you want to justify it. But to the masses, it's either a spell fail or a disparaging reference to underwear gamers. I'd go with the spell fail and just work with it.

paigeg

Re: Of Monsters and RPGs

Awesomely funny, and great style - kinda Walmazan-meets-Edgar-ish. Original and very cool.

paigeg

I LOVE the transitions from negative space to positive - well done! When the outbreak comes I'm right (hiding) behind you.

lunovulpes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunovulpes
Re: Inner Dragon

I really wish the shirt was doing better. It is one of my favorites in the derby. +1 from me. I really hope this gets a HM at least. :3

zaynne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zaynne
Re: High Roller

Cute...I would buy one of these for my friend who wears fun Vegas shirts, who I used to play RPGs with.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
Re: In The Lair Of The Black Cat

This is so incredibly beautiful! It doesn't look like a T-shirt, it looks like a work of art, which it is. Congrats on the design Midgerock, you've got my one and only vote in this derby.

07/11/14

fabgab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fabgab
aprilraines wrote:L to R - Mr.T, House, Han Solo, 4th Doctor, Elvis

House can't be a cleric. He's a total atheist.

gricomet

quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet
Pheline wrote:especially in combination with the bug eyes. Although... they just *look* bug eyed for some reason; they really aren't that big.

Hmm that is a good point. Objectively they are pretty normal in size.

cloudryder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloudryder
Re: Forest Fantasy

if this goes to print, it will be the first shirt i buy on day 1....HANDS DOWN!

tenacioust04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenacioust04

I'm new to this whole derby thing but this appears to me a blantant copy on the movie poster for " Shaun of the Dead".

aspherical

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aspherical
missmissa07 wrote:I would like to point out to everyone that Pokemon is, in its own way, an RPG. In the games, you play the part of a youngster who goes on his/her way to become the ultimate Pokemon master. In this sense, you are playing a role that does not exist in real life. To quote from Wikipedia:
A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.
-In the Pokemon games, you are assuming the role of the Pokemon trainer. You act out this role by catching Pokemon and advancing the story through battling gym leaders, etc. It is, without a doubt, an RPG.

Also--Yes, it is a video game--but so are things including Final Fantasy and WOW. Surely you wouldn't say that those video games could not be accepted in this derby?

I agree that Ramy's designs often skirt the line of theme, but I actually believe this shirt is very on-topic and is much more so than many of the other entries this week.

Going by your definition, Halo is an RPG.

missmissa07

aspherical wrote:Going by your definition, Halo is an RPG.

I'd say that the story line of Halo could be considered an RPG. Most video games can.

Also, Wikipedia's definition, not my own.

wolfgaidin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfgaidin
polezrael wrote:This shirt already exists.

While true, woot very infrequently disqualifies other artists, mostly notably RamyB, when his designs duplicate or are similar to other shirts - even his own.

In spite of rejection or not, this design is far superior in every respect to the shirts you linked.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: gangsta wear

HAHA! I would love to see someone wearing this out in the wild! Genius!

mobealeart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mobealeart

There's some really good entries this week

10kindsofpeople

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 10kindsofpeople
Re: Facing Down the Dragon

So cool! If you end up printing this somewhere else, be sure to let us know.

amcc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amcc
Re: Oh! Thats funny....

wow what a great woot design. i hope it wins.

erinnarelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinnarelle
Re: Keep Calm

Would be even closer to the WWII poster if it read "Keep Calm and Roll On" with the same outlines. Very nice job!