starksre

quality posts: 3 Private Messages starksre

Ok looking at entries some i see a lot of d and d references. Thats great and all but cant we be more creative than this?

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Re: Natural d20

Ah, rejection-bot. You do your job with enthusiasm this derby.

At work now, so I'll re-sub tonight.

jlegos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlegos
lyonscc wrote:Though to Taternugget's point (and lloyd's), how is this at all related to "everyday life"?

My take on the theme here is the idea of kids playing dress up (roleplaying) their favorite superheroes. This is something I did as a kid and that I'm pretty sure all kids do every day, at recess, in the park, etc. They are represented as turtles to push the joke here, but I think it's pretty clear that they aren't the actual Ninja Turtles.

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
yovict wrote:Okay, now I want fuzzy RPG dice hanging' from my rearview! Any chance I will find some in a Woot Off?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/7ccc/

yovict

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yovict
Re: Medievil Cubicle

I don't know about the drawbridge, but I must now construct turreted shelving for my desk!

maximus08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maximus08
jlegos wrote:My take on the theme here is the idea of kids playing dress up (roleplaying) their favorite superheroes. This is something I did as a kid and that I'm pretty sure all kids do every day, at recess, in the park, etc. They are represented as turtles to push the joke here, but I think it's pretty clear that they aren't the actual Ninja Turtles.

Do you collaborate on the excuses too? Because you are dead on.

Heffron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Heffron

This NEEDS to win :D Awesome IT Crowd reference!

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Red Potion

Very visually appealing.

Nothing follows.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
Re: Critical Hit

Is he asking her to join his party?

Also too many colors I think.

taternuggets

Re: He Has His Mothers Voice

This has a very creepy vibe to it. And that's what makes it awesome.

Nothing follows.

microburst54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages microburst54
taternuggets wrote:Very visually appealing.

I agree - even somebody who knows little or nothing about roleplaying games would enjoy wearing this shirt. Very nicely done.

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
Re: Invisibility Cloak

I love the design! My comment: the "My" in the text kind of limits the sales appeal... if I don't wear glasses, does it make sense for me to wear the shirt? If I bought the shirt for my nephew (who is a real nerd and does wear glasses but the Harry Potter kind) would he even want to wear it? I think the shirt would be better if the text read simply "Cloak of Invisibility".

mudhutters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudhutters

It's my first time submitting and I must have done something wrong, because my comp looks squished. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=58889

Any tips?
Thanks

mhatter106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhatter106
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:The pre-derby instructions aren't hugely clear on this; that is, they mention "role-playing" (which this qualifies under) and RPGs (which this borders on qualifying, at best, in my opinion). Admittedly, if I saw this shirt and was asked what's the derby theme, I doubt I could make an accurate guess (though, to be fair, that's a frequent criticism of a number of shirts that win).

Well the current instructons say, "Give us your best ideas for how tabletop RPG concepts might apply to real life."

This does not seem to have relation to tabletop RPG OR real life.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
Adelas wrote:I would be a lot more interested if it weren't for the preponderance of typos.

The typos are definitely on purpose. You should check out the video for the reference to understand why the typos are there.

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: 2 CHA

"CHA" is short for "charisma"?

jlegos

Re: An honest mistake (2.0)

Somehow, by some freak accident, the turtles lost their mouths on the thumbnail of my original submission. It was an honest mistake, I swear ;)

I used to pretend to be a ninja turtle when I was younger- this little turtle sort of missed the point though. Collab with ramyb.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Re: An honest mistake (2.0)

Adding mouths to the thumbnail didn't make it more on topic

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: Encounter

*I put on my robe and wizard hat.*

Gally242

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Gally242

Thank you very much for changing it! GMV!

jlegos

ignorant wrote:Adding mouths to the thumbnail didn't make it more on topic

tgentry said that it will be fine as long as it is clear that there is role playing in some way. I think that's pretty clear here. I explained in the other thread that it is the idea of kids dressing up (roleplaying) their favorite superheroes. I know people froth at the mouth at the sight of turtles these days (although, have you ever stopped to look how many turtles actually won derbies this year?), but that doesn't mean that anything with a turtle is off topic. This represents an everyday life scenario, and one that I used to do myself when I was younger.

mhatter106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhatter106

Again,the instructions say, "Give us your best ideas for how tabletop RPG concepts might apply to real life."

And theres no relation to tabletop RPG nor to real life really.

dirtywhoremouth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirtywhoremouth
Re: Red Potion

I must have this. Make it so.

jlegos

mhatter106 wrote:Again,the instructions say, "Give us your best ideas for how tabletop RPG concepts might apply to real life."

And theres no relation to tabletop RPG nor to real life really.

The impression I got is that any sort of roleplaying is fair game, not just tabletop, as long as it is SWF. This entry is more along the lines of LARP, but is still a form of roleplaying.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
D3lusional wrote:"CHA" is short for "charisma"?

Yes.

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks
Re: Kitchen Arsenal

1d1? Wouldn't that just be "1"? Or do you seriously have a 1-sided dice?

cynic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cynic11
Re: Level Up!

fantastically true. *seals tuition bill

lyonscc

vorteks wrote:1d1? Wouldn't that just be "1"? Or do you seriously have a 1-sided dice?

We had a DM who always had to have dX for every weapon. I asked what damage a needle from my kit would do, since my spoon was 1d2 (flipping a coin). He thought a minute and said "1d1". (which is 1, yes, but in the world of late night D&D is giggle-worthy).

paaiyan

axphw1 wrote:Also too many colors I think.

And gradients.

paaiyan

Voted again!

jlegos

taternuggets wrote:No, they are obviously normal turtles, role playing as fake turtles. Like I often see in everyday life.

Do you see dinosaurs with swords every day? And dancing dice with arms and legs? Potions? Dragons? Grim reapers? Octopuses cooking? Trolls? Pandas with weapons? There is such thing as a representation of a concept. I think my idea is pretty clear here. But for some reason, as soon as there's a green shell in sight, it can't possibly have anything to do with the topic, while any logical stretch can be made for anything else.

lyonscc

vorteks wrote:1d1? Wouldn't that just be "1"? Or do you seriously have a 1-sided dice?

Ah - I remember now his other reason!

We used a coin for 1d1, since a natural "1" is supposed to be a "fumble" in D&D. We assigned one side of the coin as a "fumble" and the other side as "1" damage.

So yes, it was a 1-sided die (technically).

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Pouches of Holding

Hahaa! Love it. He's got a mean little face, great expression and a very funny idea.

Big +1

taternuggets

jlegos wrote:Do you see dinosaurs with swords every day? And dancing dice with arms and legs? Potions? Dragons? Grim reapers? Octopuses cooking? Trolls? Pandas with weapons? There is such thing as a representation of a concept. I think my idea is pretty clear here. But for some reason, as soon as there's a green shell in sight, it can't possibly have anything to do with the topic, while any logical stretch can be made for anything else.

I don't have a problem with the turtles. Nor do I have an issue with the pop culture, as it was certainly allowed. I just don't see anything that hits the "everyday life" part. Listing examples of other entries that do not meet the theme shouldn't be a defense for your entry not doing so. I can't get out of a speeding ticket by pointing at other speeders.

Nothing follows.

uohccire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uohccire
jlegos wrote:Do you see dinosaurs with swords every day? And dancing dice with arms and legs? Potions? Dragons? Grim reapers? Octopuses cooking? Trolls? Pandas with weapons? There is such thing as a representation of a concept. I think my idea is pretty clear here. But for some reason, as soon as there's a green shell in sight, it can't possibly have anything to do with the topic, while any logical stretch can be made for anything else.

I agree, although not the best represenation of table top rpg, the rpg and reality implications are clearly there. Haven't you ever felt left out when you missed a memo that every1 else got? Two thumbs up, great shirt, good luck!

bekrah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bekrah
axphw1 wrote:Is he asking her to join his party?

Also too many colors I think.

I was worried about the coloring. Also my image is squashed. I have a different and less colorful version of it. How do I delete this entry?

bekrah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bekrah
bekrah wrote:I was worried about the coloring. Also my image is squashed. I have a different and less colorful version of it. How do I delete this entry?

Never mind. I got it!

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: roll players only

I can only assume there are conventions devoted to people dressing up like specific kinds of food.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
taternuggets wrote:Hey, those dragons create jobs.

nice job +1

Can't have dragonslayers without them. +1 from me, too!

davidjohns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidjohns

I can't figure out why two of the turtles are cyclopses.