jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

I have a lot of woot shirts that I've never worn, but I love the images on them so much. So I decided to go all crafty on one of my all time favorite designs. This thing makes me laugh every single time. Now, instead of being a shirt in the back of my closet, it's a funny pillow that I see every day.

Go HERE for more info/pics of the project.

Anyone else like to turn woot shirts into other woot-things?

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

That turned out great! :D

etkendall11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etkendall11

That's amazing! I'm making a shirt quilt but I can't get enough shirts in fast enough.

jewelwing

etkendall11 wrote:That's amazing! I'm making a shirt quilt but I can't get enough shirts in fast enough.

A whole quilt?? That's impressive!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

I've pondered making a quilt as well...the tough bit would be picking which shirts to use, as I have nearly 100 that I don't wear often. A few are set aside to be framed, as well...But now I'm thinking a bunch of pillows would be cool.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake

Woo, clever!

Haven't thought to go arts and crafts on any of mine (and I do have a sewing machine) ... most do make their rounds into wear rotation eventually. Some I just don't wear often at all, like I've only worn gettin' toasty twice; once in 2010 year, once this 2011. And I'm just wearing Captain Polly for the first time today.

That doesn't explain why I keep buying more, but I'm not sure there's anything that'd ever explain that one.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

This is awesome!

I'm just hanging out, really.

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants

Looks amazing!

ekio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ekio

Turned out very cute! I might have to do that with one of mine... the button is perfect!

suzer22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages suzer22
jewelwing wrote:
Anyone else like to turn woot shirts into other woot-things?

The WXL shirt is still just too small on me so I took my Shakespeare alphabet, cut it out and sewed it as an appliqué to the back of a jean jacket. It's not perfect but at least I still get to wear it and people behind me in line can take time to check each letter without staring at my chest!

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

That is quite awesome.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with all the t-shirts I have (over 100, mainly Woot and Threadless). My style has evolved as I'm getting older and I find myself reaching for t-shirts less and less.

I don't really need any pillows but maybe I'll turn them into some sort of bag (though I want something with more shape than a tote). Ugh, what to do?! I hope to find some ideas in this thread! I wish there was a way to turn them into a more "dressy" type of top but my sewing/fashion design skills are lacking.

wasagooze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wasagooze

Yup! My MIL made my son's favorite Woot! shirt into a pillow when he outgrew it!

muroo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muroo

These t-shirt bags aren't the prettiest, but the lack of tools and time needed to make them kind of makes up for it. :-)

holly2978

quality posts: 1 Private Messages holly2978

I'm saving up all my son's woot shirts to turn into a blanket once he outgrows them. He loves them to death and who can't use more blanket?!

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
thewronggrape wrote:That is quite awesome.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with all the t-shirts I have (over 100, mainly Woot and Threadless). My style has evolved as I'm getting older and I find myself reaching for t-shirts less and less.

I don't really need any pillows but maybe I'll turn them into some sort of bag (though I want something with more shape than a tote). Ugh, what to do?! I hope to find some ideas in this thread! I wish there was a way to turn them into a more "dressy" type of top but my sewing/fashion design skills are lacking.

If you cut the top seem and collar ring off, rotate the shirt 90* you can probably make a decent and quick one shoulder shirt with the art on side instead of front out of it. But that might work better if the shirt starts baggy/unfitted on you.

thewronggrape

blanked wrote:If you cut the top seem and collar ring off, rotate the shirt 90* you can probably make a decent and quick one shoulder shirt with the art on side instead of front out of it. But that might work better if the shirt starts baggy/unfitted on you.

Unfortunately for me, I was a big fan of the fitted look and most of my t-shirts are all WS or XS. Towards the end there, I started buying much larger sizes for a looser/blousey-er look that paired better with skirts and accessories.

Love this thread though—it's definitely got my brain juices flowing!

lily1029

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lily1029

I also have a TON of unused shirts between here and Threadless and have been interested in attempting a blanket. For those who have started one, what can you recommend on sizing for the squares?

Even better - anyone want to do it for me!? :p

panpear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages panpear

I was thinking of doing a quilt too, though a pillow seems to be much simpler project! I'll have to consider doing that as well.

As for cutting squares for a quilt, I was supposing that if you cut all your shirt images off into rectangles that were divisible by two (like a 6''x10'' piece), it wouldn't be too hard to add in little 2'' strips to fill in the gaps between designs. That way you can cut out your shirt designs, arrange them in the general shape you want, and then figure out what looks pleasing to fill in. However, I've never made a quilt before so this could be a bad way of doing it!

(Though I guess you'd want to leave about a quarter inch room for stitches, so you'd actually want to cut things with an extra half inch overall (a quarter inch on all sides)).

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
jewelwing wrote:Now, instead of being a shirt in the back of my closet, it's a funny pillow that I see every day.

That looks fantastic!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I love the pillows! Wish I could sew a straight line. Sigh.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

brieethecheese

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brieethecheese

I've got a few shirts I've been making into bags, something like this one I did for an old sweatshirt. The zipper had broken on it but it was one of my favorites so I grabbed some canvas I had lying around, whipped up a bag (i made up my own pattern, didn't have one on hand so I pretty much just winged it) and then I bought some iron on bonding material to make the sweatshirt stick to the bag. The edges curl up just a little, but its a lot cleaner looking than it would have been if I'd have tried to sew in a circle! I did one strap asymmetrical so it would just hug my body, plus I wanted to incorporate the design on the sleeve too. I think the trick is to let the design you're working with lead you, like the tea cup button on the pillow. So cute! Here is my bag (again, not a woot tee, but I don't have any pictures of those yet!) :

IMAG0560 by Brieethecheese, on Flickr

Mavyn

panpear wrote:I was thinking of doing a quilt too, though a pillow seems to be much simpler project! I'll have to consider doing that as well.

As for cutting squares for a quilt, I was supposing that if you cut all your shirt images off into rectangles that were divisible by two (like a 6''x10'' piece), it wouldn't be too hard to add in little 2'' strips to fill in the gaps between designs. That way you can cut out your shirt designs, arrange them in the general shape you want, and then figure out what looks pleasing to fill in. However, I've never made a quilt before so this could be a bad way of doing it!

(Though I guess you'd want to leave about a quarter inch room for stitches, so you'd actually want to cut things with an extra half inch overall (a quarter inch on all sides)).

Biggest thing for a quilt will be determining what size you want the finished product. I wouldn't worry about getting all the pieces the same size or shape, either, but I prefer the 'scrappier' look in quilts. And exactly right on the seams--you need 1/4 extra all around.

Technically, that part is piecing--the 'quilting' part refers to the pattern sewn in to hold the pieced portion, batting, and the back together. Since tees are stretchy, they're more of a challenge to piece with, though.

And yes, there are kits you can use, as well as places on line where you can send you tees and they'll make the quilt. Just a matter of $$$.

hinesola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hinesola

Here is a site with some nice DIY ideas! http://craftingagreenworld.com/2010/06/18/memorable-ways-to-repurpose-old-t-shirts/

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
hinesola wrote:Here is a site with some nice DIY ideas! http://craftingagreenworld.com/2010/06/18/memorable-ways-to-repurpose-old-t-shirts/

Love the scarf. I need to try some of these.

panpear

Mavyn wrote:Biggest thing for a quilt will be determining what size you want the finished product. I wouldn't worry about getting all the pieces the same size or shape, either, but I prefer the 'scrappier' look in quilts. And exactly right on the seams--you need 1/4 extra all around.

Technically, that part is piecing--the 'quilting' part refers to the pattern sewn in to hold the pieced portion, batting, and the back together. Since tees are stretchy, they're more of a challenge to piece with, though.

And yes, there are kits you can use, as well as places on line where you can send you tees and they'll make the quilt. Just a matter of $$$.

Wow, really?

*checks the internet*

Indeed! Though it certainly does cost quite a bit of money. Still, if you don't have the means to sew yourself, that's a nice way to do it. Even if the way they tend to look isn't as 'scrappy' (which I think I prefer myself. I'm a rather sloppy person to begin with, so my quilt should be too, right? XD)

And all of these projects seem awesome! It makes me want to do them all at once. And then I remember I'm lazy and I won't actually do it. But still - I could!

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

I kind of want to make a blanket... Saw this posted a while back... Kind of want to try it.

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4291298

Not that I know anything about sewing...

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
panpear wrote:Wow, really?

*checks the internet*

Indeed! Though it certainly does cost quite a bit of money. Still, if you don't have the means to sew yourself, that's a nice way to do it. Even if the way they tend to look isn't as 'scrappy' (which I think I prefer myself. I'm a rather sloppy person to begin with, so my quilt should be too, right? XD)

And all of these projects seem awesome! It makes me want to do them all at once. And then I remember I'm lazy and I won't actually do it. But still - I could!

according to my wife, who is quite the quilter, you need to sew the tee material to a backing before piecing it together because it stretches too easily, making the placement difficult.

Mavyn

panpear wrote:Wow, really?

*checks the internet*

I quilt, so already have most of what I'd need, other than time. But, when I make a queen sized quilt, I fully expect it to cost me ~$200 in fabric, thread, batting, backing, and quilting. So really, most of the online places aren't that expensive, it just feels that was compared to buying a quilt off the shelf.

etkendall11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etkendall11

As far as quilting goesI always cheat and pay some one with a machine to actually do the quilting part. I just sew the squares together and finish off the edges. most fabric stores have a business card bulletin board, if you're looking for some one. I lived in Amish country PA so there where quilters-a-plenty in that area.

The shirts them selves are the expensive parts for me, But if you already have the shirts then I use the printed side on the front of the quilt and the solid side to patch work the back of the quilt. So you don't have to buy extra material! Plus most fabric stores, Joanns in particular, have coupons. So I get my batting for about $5 a yard. and the shirts are super soft and comfy from Shirt.Woot

panpear

Josephus wrote:according to my wife, who is quite the quilter, you need to sew the tee material to a backing before piecing it together because it stretches too easily, making the placement difficult.

I laugh in the face of proper placement. Ha ha ha ha ha. >_>

And then I would likely cry because everything would have stretched out of place. XD

thewronggrape

hinesola wrote:Here is a site with some nice DIY ideas! http://craftingagreenworld.com/2010/06/18/memorable-ways-to-repurpose-old-t-shirts/

Thanks! I also love the scarf idea. Gonna dust off the old sewing machine—can't wait!

inkycatz

I am loving the bags, especially the 'no sew' variety - looks easy enough and fun to gather up several shirts for an evening project.

inkycatz

Okay, I bought today's shirt with the express intent of turning it into a pillow or a tote - and I'm posting this because I am a horrible procrastinator and I need you all to bug me for pics.

Thank yous.

jewelwing

Josephus wrote:according to my wife, who is quite the quilter, you need to sew the tee material to a backing before piecing it together because it stretches too easily, making the placement difficult.

That's the #1 tip for all these projects. I did this blog post about it if anyone's interested HERE.

What I love tho is the way the shirt fabric feels after you fuse it to the backing. It starts all stretchy and flimsy and once the backing is on it feels pretty substantial but still super soft. Kind of like felt almost. It's niiiice.

Oh, and size wise, I just buy a women's large/x-large and it works well for the kind of pillow I made, which is like a small accent pillow.

jewelwing

thewronggrape wrote:Thanks! I also love the scarf idea. Gonna dust off the old sewing machine—can't wait!

The scarf is awesome! I'm going to to that too. Trying to figure out some way to do a more structured bag, I'm not a big fan of sacks or totes either. I'm thinking you might be able to make a flap bag, like timbuk2 style, with the tees because those are made up of several panels.

panpear

inkycatz wrote:Okay, I bought today's shirt with the express intent of turning it into a pillow or a tote - and I'm posting this because I am a horrible procrastinator and I need you all to bug me for pics.

Thank yous.

I'm waiting for pictures. :3

All of these projects really sound cool! And my pile of shirts keeps getting bigger... But alas, I am lazy.

princessbard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princessbard

/agree

What I would do is get one-sided fusible interfacing from the fabric store (way cheap), and iron it on to the back of the shirt design before cutting out the square and sewing. It's fast, easy, and stabilizes the stretch. It'll make the process a lot quicker and easier for a quilt square.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
inkycatz wrote:Okay, I bought today's shirt with the express intent of turning it into a pillow or a tote - and I'm posting this because I am a horrible procrastinator and I need you all to bug me for pics.

Thank yous.

Soooooo...

how goes that pillow or tote project? Pictures yet?

inkycatz

bluejester wrote:Soooooo...

how goes that pillow or tote project? Pictures yet?

Snowpocalypse sorta threw me behind. Rest assured, have not forgotten about it!

Look what I found yesterday!

Mavyn

Another tee quilt. Pattern is for sale there as well.