zaydabarros

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros

Question #1: is the price of randoms going to increase?
Question #2: is the price of shirts in the reckoning going to increase?
Thank you.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

With the shirt of the day price increasing, the first day payout to the artist of $1000 should increase too. An extra 500 bones or so would be nice.

splendidcakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages splendidcakes

Twelve bucks for a t-shirt is still a deal. We love you Woot! My teenage son would have to go around shirtless if it weren't for you.

Polychronopolis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Polychronopolis

I'd pay a +1 premium for each size higher than 3XL... I hate only being able to buy shirts for my friends/family. I'd like to enjoy these shirts too... :P

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

I don't buy near as many shirts as I did in the past, mainly because my tastes have changed, but...

$12 shipped is still a great price for a quality shirt!

Still a shirt.woot fan here!

annespeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annespeck

I'm still in. I was a late-comer in the $10 price and I have to admit that even on my recession-salary (75% of the former) $10 felt like a steal for original art that frequently fits my sense of humor on a soft US-made T... so that's a good sign the price needed to go up. $12 doesn't feel as much like pocket change as $10, but the difference is a cup of coffee.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
specsmachine wrote:With the shirt of the day price increasing, the first day payout to the artist of $1000 should increase too. An extra 500 bones or so would be nice.

This. I'd like to think that the artists should benefit from the price increase as well.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

As a broke ass college student I wasn't buying many shirts unless I really had to have it, and then I'd mull it over; usually a derby shirt I deliberated with 'if it wins, should I buy?' and mostly never dailies unless they were of the explicit "Oh My Gookie! I need this because of reasons" variety.

It'll just be harder for me to reach the threshold of justification now, and possibly impossible for me to buy a daily. But it won't make me kick myself when I have to get something from the reckoning due to my inability to decide as three more dollars for the artist to get a cut is a much nicer "sacrifice" to my wallet than five.

tl;dr I'll be a bit tighter with my cash, and in general I will buy less to keep the amount I used to spend on woot basically the same.

rumzoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rumzoo

At $12 a shirt I'll be sure to contact WOOT each time I order a shirt and it comes printed on a messed up tee. Quality is slipping, Woot.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

Only in America would people consider $10 pocket change or "throw away cash". Let's be honest, $2 is really not going to change things, and if it does then you probably should not have been throwing away $10 on a shirt at a time anyways. (Mod edit: Let's not wrap up by being deliberately inflammatory about it.)

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre

Doesn't bother me at all. I hesitate too much already and end up buying on the reckoning and paying the extra 5 for shipping.

Great site, 2 bucks isn't breaking me.

You could reprint the exercise/motivation dufflebag. Selling out in less than a day was sadness....

polluxoil

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polluxoil

This is probably going to shift things the other way for me. Instead of buying daily deals for $12, I'd rather just spend the extra $3 later knowing $2 of it is going to the artist, plus it'll help with the reckoning.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
polluxoil wrote:This is probably going to shift things the other way for me. Instead of buying daily deals for $12, I'd rather just spend the extra $3 later knowing $2 of it is going to the artist, plus it'll help with the reckoning.

This is probably more likely for me as well. I like doing the cheaper price if it's an impulse buy, but with the price increase I think I might just wait the extra day so that I can help out the artist a bit more.

friesnashake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages friesnashake

I guess some will have to live without their Starbucks for a day. I will still be buying shirts for $12 and $15 and the extra $2 won't affect my budget that much. To those who are saying it will hamper their t-shirt buying greatly, then you have bigger money issues than buying a shirt from shirt.woot.

Would you like fries with that shake??

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
friesnashake wrote:I guess some will have to live without their Starbucks for a day. I will still be buying shirts for $12 and $15 and the extra $2 won't affect my budget that much. To those who are saying it will hamper their t-shirt buying greatly, then you have bigger money issues than buying a shirt from shirt.woot.

It is psychological, as some one already pointed out, and similar to the reason things always seem to be priced at $xx.99.

Like others this will encourage reckoning buys from me. But as my drawers are full, and my current need for pants it won't be for a while.

*and where do you live that Starbucks only costs $2?

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
polluxoil wrote:This is probably going to shift things the other way for me. Instead of buying daily deals for $12, I'd rather just spend the extra $3 later knowing $2 of it is going to the artist, plus it'll help with the reckoning.

Ditto. Mentally, it's always been a $15 shirt anyways, just that it's discounted on its debut day.

DarthMicah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarthMicah

Why are people complaining about the price increase? Really? This shouldn't even be an issue. If you are having trouble deciding if it's a justified purchase because of $2.00, you probably need to get your finances in order and have no business buying the shirt anyway. I would start worrying if you have enough money for food at that point. *rolls eyes*

Thank you shirt woot for the many shirts in my closet! :D I always give people a good chuckle when I wear them.

Mogar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mogar
ramyb wrote:I'm curious to see what kind of impact we are going to see on overall sales in the next few weeks. I assume there will be at least a small cut to the number of first day sales, which will hopefully be outweighed by the increase in profit for woot.

What I'm more concerned about, though, is the impact on the reckoning. The purpose of increasing the sales cap to 6000 was to increase the number of first-time buyers, and this price increase seems like it would have the opposite effect. In addition, shirts in reckoning always sell better on days that have a successful shirt on the front page. With a cut to first-day sales, I wonder if there will also be an overall cut to reckoning sales. On the other hand, the $12 price is closer to the $15 for reckoning, so potentially it will be easier to justify the extra cost after the first day.

Obviously it will take some time to determine what this change will mean. Woot's shirts have always been great quality, and are well worth it even at the $15 mark- hopefully people will continue to see it that way.

Hey Ramy. I assume Woot will account for this change rather quickly in their ranking algorithm. Also, the $2 hike will not stop me on my quest to have a weeks-worth of Ramyb shirts!

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter

Bottom line, I will still buy a shirt if/when I like it. $12 is cheaper than target and much better designs.
Have we hurd how much randoms are?

schwiemj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schwiemj

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

All is lost

I guess I can accept the change, but I may not be able to buy as many.

Does this mean the discount rate during the woot-offs will change? please no

davehabeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davehabeck

what the rock!?!

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
schwiemj wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

All is lost

I guess I can accept the change, but I may not be able to buy as many.

Does this mean the discount rate during the woot-offs will change? please no

I predict that tonight we will likely see a woot off. At that time all will be revealed as far as this goes.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
DarthMicah wrote:If you are having trouble deciding if it's a justified purchase because of $2.00, you probably need to get your finances in order and have no business buying the shirt anyway. I would start worrying if you have enough money for food at that point. *rolls eyes*

Or maybe there are comparable or better shirts out there when you move toward $12. I can afford to buy a Woot everyday, but it doesn't mean I'm going to. Right now, I'm averaging just over 1.5 per week. Sometimes the designs are so good, I'll buy it even though I'm not thrilled with the fit. Typically, I buy these at the $15 price to save the shirt or so the artist gets more.

There are times I'd buy a $10 shirt as an impulse buy because it's convenient and it's a shirt for $10. Also, it's fun. Actually, only 20% of my purchases are for me. Typically, I buy the $10 ones for my kids or to just give away to people. At $12, the impulse wanes because there are other shirts out there. I can pick up plenty of cool or pop culture tshirts for the kids that they'll happily wear for $4-$10. For me, I can get some of my favorite fitting t's for $12.50 right now.

Whereas I might spend $10 on a shirt to give to my kids' karate instructor or because I want to support an artist I voted for in the derby, I might not at $12. The extra $2 isn't going to make or break me, but it's just enough to make me think twice about the impulse or "just because" buy. Reckoning shirts could increase to $17 and I could still afford them just fine, but they are no longer a good value to me at that point even though it's just $2 more. Everyone has their own personal line of what they're willing to spend in certain situations. It's not always a rational line.

For some people, I'd guess it's also the principle of the matter. Look at Netflix. Most people could afford their fall price hike and even though the streaming + 1 dvd was almost doubling, it was still a good deal. Less than $10 per month increase wasn't going to break people. But, they lost a lot of business when they did it.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

While disappointed by the price increase (hey, Woot, I've not had a raise in 4 years either!) I don't know how much it will affect my purchasing. I buy significantly fewer shirts than I used to simply beacause Woot doesn't offer many that appeal to me anymore. Including those I buy for gifts, I think I'm down to about 7-8 a year.

The $12 price will definitely prompt me to think a little longer and harder "Is it worth it?" when I already have drawers over-filled with shirts I typically don't have occasion to wear. Nonetheless, in the long run, when the rare shirt comes along that I do feel compelled to buy, I'll probably still pull the trigger and consider it a special, once-in-a-blue-moon sort of treat.

yetiboy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yetiboy1

Good grief! All this whining and sniveling over two bucks. As someone who prints and sells t-shirts on his own, I have wondered many times how Woot generated enough revenue to keep going at 10 bucks a pop. Twelve bucks for a t-shirt including shipping is still a freaking bargain.

khaedo1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khaedo1
Narfcake wrote:No qualms here, so long as you are still sticking to blanks made in the USA.

Here, here.

tman2088

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tman2088
duffeball wrote:At least they didn't try to start up "shirtster" where you buy long sleeve shirts apart from their main site which sells only short sleeve shirts. At least i don't have to buy those shirts with a seperate login.

But the real question bodes... will "RANDOS" still be 6.66? they gotta be.

Random shirts will remain at $6.66 per shirt.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
yetiboy1 wrote:Good grief! All this whining and sniveling over two bucks. As someone who prints and sells t-shirts on his own, I have wondered many times how Woot generated enough revenue to keep going at 10 bucks a pop. Twelve bucks for a t-shirt including shipping is still a freaking bargain.

Sometimes I love the little colored icon by the avatar.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

My question is how does this impact the designers and the reckoning? With a $5 differance the sale will be made on the first day, with $3 the sale make more for the designer and it figures into the reckoning. This could be part of the thinking.

If I want the artist to get more money I will buy after the first day. Unless I think that the design will get pulled after the first day!

The main thing I want from Woot is XXL for women. It is a size the is made and the girls would have more room! Think of the Girls!!!

The above is a repost from deals.woot

Randoms should be staying at 6.66 as these shirts are all ready printed and this is not only a sunk cost but the sales decreases storage costs.

I know it would increase storage costs but could we please have women's XLL? Please!! For my DDDD++++ daughter and me!

JollyRoger87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JollyRoger87

"Shirt.Woot has a full roster of cool projects in the works for 2012"

Any more info on these said projects?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
elankat wrote:Sometimes I love the little colored icon by the avatar.

Heh. And keep in mind that the icon reflects ALL woot site purchases, not just shirt.woot.

;)

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
friesnashake wrote:I guess some will have to live without their Starbucks for a day. I will still be buying shirts for $12 and $15 and the extra $2 won't affect my budget that much. To those who are saying it will hamper their t-shirt buying greatly, then you have bigger money issues than buying a shirt from shirt.woot.

I'm not sure if this is targeted at me directly or just using my pun to make a snarky point. Either way, I think elankat summed it up nicely. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to prep my cardboard box for bedtime.

-Sent from my iPad.

move along

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

I wouldn't worry about it. Your shirts as you state are well worth the money. And if 2$ makes someone not buy a shirt, or they suddenly can't "afford" to buy them, then they honestly shouldn't have been buying them at 10$ a shirt either.

My goal is to one day have enough Woot shirts to last an entire year without repeating I will still plop down the money for first day shirts. That being said, I would probably think twice if you added shipping. For some reason I just won't buy anything that I have to pay for shipping on. It's like my little OCD compulsion.

I once drove to Richmond to pick up something I needed because they wanted to charge me 19$ to ship it to me. I probably spent 40$ in gas. It was just the principal of it I guess.

Anyways, keep up the awesomeness.

Just no bugs in the shirts ;)

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
tman2088 wrote:Random shirts will remain at $6.66 per shirt.

Thank you! Also, thank you for keeping them at $6.66 as I always enjoy reading the comments about the Devil!

eeschultz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eeschultz

I've always felt like I was getting away with something when I got a t-shirt - shipping included - for $10. I'm cool with $12. I'm a really, really picky shopper, anyway, so I don't buy a ton of shirt.

And I will sometimes have to think really hard about a design anyway - it's like I'm marrying it, or something - so I end up getting it once it's in the Reckoning, anyway. So in short, this doesn't change my Woot experience that much.

aesthetix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aesthetix

The burning question to me is still how much are random's going to cost? I am okay with daily shirts changing, but please not random woots! Random shirts are, if I understand correctly, is to move old shirts that never sold, and probably ever won't. They are there regardless of the price increase or not. I haven't liked the daily designs for a while, but for $6.66, I just can't pass up the gamble.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

aesthetix wrote:The burning question to me is still how much are random's going to cost? I am okay with daily shirts changing, but please not random woots! Random shirts are, if I understand correctly, is to move old shirts that never sold, and probably ever won't. They are there regardless of the price increase or not. I haven't liked the daily designs for a while, but for $6.66, I just can't pass up the gamble.

Look up about 5 or 6 posts and the answer shall be revealed!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kllangellier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kllangellier

At first I was like 'Oh No!' but really, $2 isn't going to kill me. And plus, Woot has been offering us other stuff like long sleeves, hoodies, bags and water bottles. It's not as if there is a huge price hike with less service. I would like to see an increase for artists though. Other than that, I'm pretty content. $12 is still really worth it.

Leanalynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Leanalynn

While I am not upset over an increase in principle.. I'm bummed because I almost always buy 2 or 3 of the same shirt for the family.

How about a multiple purchase discount, to help stomach the increase, since all 3 shirts are shipping in the same mailer. Even $35 for 3 would be somethin!

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
mattryan wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. Your shirts as you state are well worth the money. And if 2$ makes someone not buy a shirt, or they suddenly can't "afford" to buy them, then they honestly shouldn't have been buying them at 10$ a shirt either.

Would you continue to purchase a $100 item at $120? Twenty percent is a dramatic increase. And there was psychological comfort in the $10 price, a nice multiple of five that can be covered by one paper bill. And it looks nice on the bank statement.

Twelve, however, though more pleasing than eleven (for whatever reason, perhaps its divisibility by 2, 3, 4, and 6), is not as nice as ten.