ezrawalk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ezrawalk
Re: Kitty King

I like the crown iconography, the flourishes and the difference in the eyes. The derbies produce a lot wonderful designs, but I do care about what I'm wearing and what other people think of me. Having said that, I would definitely wear this shirt.

tacosoup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tacosoup
Re: Kitty King

This is probably the best shirt I've seen on Woot! When I saw the derby title I was like oh great, we're gonna see a lot of cartoony cats, but this shirt takes the cake. got my vote!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Puss in Boot

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I can always tell your derby entries by the white border around the thumbnail image. It'll be interesting to see whether the rejectionator considers that to be "extra detail" in the preview image, the same as text is.

nanalart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanalart
Re: Meow-Ying Meow-Yang

This is a collab between me and Barbora Urbankova

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike
Re: seQRet message

I had to check where the QR code went before I gave my official go-ahead. Very clever!

Yeah, so there's that...

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Cat-ions

Thanks everyone, glad you like it!

@narfcake and bassanimation- The design is on slate. Actually I tried an asphalt version and the colors popped even more against the darker background. I chose the more muted look but I guess it could work either way. Here's the design on asphalt. Cheers!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I can always tell your derby entries by the white border around the thumbnail image. It'll be interesting to see whether the rejectionator considers that to be "extra detail" in the preview image, the same as text is.

I took the text and other things off my comp images, but I keep forgetting the border bits. My eyes dont register them since they've been on my stuff for so long. I'll get rid of them in my file so they wont show up again.

artgirl929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artgirl929
Re: COPYCAT

STELLAR!

sscurrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sscurrin

Lick everything... and everything is yours!

I would buy it!

odysseyroc

bassanimation wrote:I took the text and other things off my comp images, but I keep forgetting the border bits. My eyes dont register them since they've been on my stuff for so long. I'll get rid of them in my file so they wont show up again.

It's easy to forget that kind of stuff, especially when you have a template set up.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
odysseyroc wrote:It's easy to forget that kind of stuff, especially when you have a template set up.

My last few entries have had the border and they seemed to survive, but eh...always a first for everything. I literally just forget that thing is there. -wrangles Photoshop- Is what I get for using my older-than-dirt templates. :\

artgirl929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artgirl929
Re: Darth Meow

I want this to go with my copy of Boba Fetch, but I'm sure it will print, and I along with everybody else will have that chance.

starksre

quality posts: 3 Private Messages starksre

this is also for chem majors. im so getting this

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
Re: Babou

Love it!

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

leonetti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leonetti

I think it's super cute too. I love that the kitties are each different. I am wondering, does this represent a real compound?

mdm7762

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdm7762
ramyb wrote:I really want to like this, but the copy-pasted skulls at the top are killing it for me :/ Wish I could see a resub on this, but obviously it is doing very well so advising that would be selfish :P

I think it is a crown, for king of the jungle, not skulls.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Kitty Perry

Titillating!

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
Re: Apocalyptic Kitties

Conquest - Cuddles

War - Whiskers

Famine - Fluffy

Death - Daisy

chrslee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrslee
Re: Drizzt and Guen

Great looking shirt!!!

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

Conquest - Cuddles

War - Whiskers

Famine - Fluffy

Death - Daisy

[/quote]

spacedoutant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacedoutant

Liking the design a lot. Only thing is, the addition of the wool makes it look a tad messy.

ghostglide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostglide
cptgone wrote:love the drawing of the cat, like the concept too. amazing!

Thanks very much!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

I have a home office and my cat frequently scan various pieces of themselves, sometimes printing it off.... the best is coming home to a giant print out of 1/2 a cat face.

+1 Probably one of the only instant buys for me in this derby.

samuraikiss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samuraikiss

I must own this shirt.

motionxz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages motionxz
anemality wrote:Well, at least he was kind enough to give it back.

How do i buy this? Great design, good to see something for guys that involves a cat.

cdann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdann
brockart wrote:Cat Pirates fly this flag

And everyone knows, cat pirates trump cat ninjas every single time.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Grammar Cat

While this lasts, +1 from me. Grammar police!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
timelessblur wrote:I suggest you check the cheezeburger rule. This will be a quick rejection come monday.

Ceiling cat. Yep, been there, done that.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
ramyb wrote:I really want to like this, but the copy-pasted skulls at the top are killing it for me :/ Wish I could see a resub on this, but obviously it is doing very well so advising that would be selfish :P

lol the irony.........

Anyway, they are clearly not skulls. It is a crown and he has stylized flourishes emanating from it similar to those seen here:

It makes complete sense that they are mirror images of one another because it's a radially symmetrical object. Run along now and leave the design to the professionals.

On another note, this design has a very King of Kings vibe to it. Not sure if it's intentional or if anyone else is getting that but it's a bit off putting for me.

mrwednesday

Re: Mischief Malice

Extremely awesome. More like this would be an much needed change of pace.

kaylamccomish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaylamccomish
echodawn22 wrote:whimsical and cute. love the sweet kitty expression.

I love this! It's purrrfect!

kaylamccomish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaylamccomish
echodawn22 wrote:I'm loving this kitty. the expression is so familiar. you caught it just right. only negative is I wish it was bigger and filled the whole tee shirt. but excellent work. and the orange on black is perfect.

This cat has a remarkable resemblance to my brother's cat Oscar Joss!

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

Yeah Walmazan, stop trying to make shirts that are almost identical to ones that people already own. No one likes buying the same shirts over and over. I'd give you examples but there aren't any on Woot.

Whether it's original, should or shouldn't have been done because of it's simplicity or needs rejecting for being similar to other shirts is for some staff members to wrestle over. But if we're bothered because we've seen something like it before somewhere then everyone needs to stop with the splatter trees and pop culture designs because I've seen just a couple of those floating around. I have zero doubts that Walmazan came up with this on his own but if he didn't or knew it existed elsewhere, well how f'ing genius is it that he made a shirt called COPYCAT in which he mimics an existing idea.

We can all debate on when it is that one more cupcake or one more turtle is going to give us all cancer but if we're talking about original ideas or a lack thereof on a CAT derby, I have to say that I find it amazing how many people independently thought up a design involving a cat, a pop tart, and a rainbow. And that no shirts or images of that existed until this derby. That my friends, is uncanny but is a true example of originality.

dfunk29

quality posts: 48 Private Messages dfunk29
thumperchick wrote:That'll shut it up.

I agree

odysseyroc

CrescentDebris wrote:Yeah Walmazan, stop trying to make shirts that are almost identical to ones that people already own. No one likes buying the same shirts over and over. I'd give you examples but there aren't any on Woot.

Whether it's original, should or shouldn't have been done because of it's simplicity or needs rejecting for being similar to other shirts is for some staff members to wrestle over. But if we're bothered because we've seen something like it before somewhere then everyone needs to stop with the splatter trees and pop culture designs because I've seen just a couple of those floating around. I have zero doubts that Walmazan came up with this on his own but if he didn't or knew it existed elsewhere, well how f'ing genius is it that he made a shirt called COPYCAT in which he mimics an existing idea.

We can all debate on when it is that one more cupcake or one more turtle is going to give us all cancer but if we're talking about original ideas or a lack thereof on a CAT derby, I have to say that I find it amazing how many people independently thought up a design involving a cat, a pop tart, and a rainbow. And that no shirts or images of that existed until this derby. That my friends, is uncanny but is a true example of originality.

You forgot about the latest derby trend, the "sequel shirt", also known as the "I've already won a derby with this design, let me make a new design with the same exact concept, and print again!". Actually, that's not really new, it's been happening for a while, the difference is we've stopped pretending that those type of designs were completely new ideas.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ramyb wrote:People come up with similar ideas all the time, but I find it hard to believe that you've never seen this idea before, considering this shirt got 7th place in a derby where you printed. I also think there was an extremely similar shirt on teefury at some point.

Regardless though, this shirt is very cute and well executed- much better than a lot of the designs you have done recently, in my opinion.

I swear, it seems like ever since you got caught red handed stealing Walmazan's design you have been desperately trying to seek your revenge. Whether that is the case or not remains unknown, but it sure seems that way to me.

As I have said many times before here, great minds can and will think alike. Copycat in a cat derby is not a stretch... how else would you draw a copycat pun so that almost anyone can immediately get the joke?

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
Re: Friendly Neighborhood Cat

...black suited spidey references always get my vote!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77

...doomsday never looked so cute and cuddly!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

mrwednesday

This thread got interesting fast. First we have ramy calling out someone for stealing ideas (LAFF didn't see you complaining when you stole Drakxxx's and Crescent's Red Riding Hood idea among many others) and then some impassioned sarcasm from Crescent.

I'd say it's pretty clear that the unwritten derby rules don't matter and are only applied for no names and designs that won't print anyway. I'm not sure the bolded rules really matter that much either because even they have been broken with nary a rejection in sight.

I agree with Crescent that this is probably a case of independent origins of the same idea. But we also now have multiple shirts posted that have the same idea. For the shirt ramy posted, I believe that will fall under what I'm now calling the "Pluto Rule." As we saw this weekend, there are a ton of pluto left out shirts and many printed at woot but none of pluto being left out of a photo so it's ok.

Here we have the cat making real copies of itself not more cats so no problem (added to the fact that the other shirt didn't print). The Teefury design is problematic because it is the exact same shirt. My bet is that this is still not rejected because that shirt isn't for sale any more.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
bassanimation wrote:Wow, Im really surprised at the drama going on..

*shrug* I wouldn't call it drama, soccermom is an obvious troll and Midge is just seeing dead people. ^^

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."