fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
Re: Artistic Expression

..incredible use of a white t-shirt...hard to pull off successfully..bravo!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

vstephenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

It's cute!

vstephenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

Super cute!

blukat44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blukat44
Re: The Catillac

Wow, I really want this! I love cats, I used to have a cadillac, and am going through a purple phase! (I know it's a reference to Alice in Wonderland) So cool!

blukat44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blukat44
Re: Catvatar

I just really really love this.

fourlane77

Re: A patch of sun

..love the artwork...hadn't crossed my mind at all that these might be dead cats until i read some of the other comments here..

that being said...

..i MIGHT see how this could be misinterpreted depending on who was wearing it..i'm not one to normally judge a book by it's cover, but it stands to reason that a pile of cats printed across a little girl's chest has a different effect on the viewer than if it were brandished by some biker in a rough bar on the wrong side of town..

so while the soccer mom comment was ridiculously excessive (as if some sad-sob story of an uncle was necessary to her statement) and presumptuous, her first impression is no less valid because the circumstances of her observation most likely dictated it as such...

..well-founded, on the other hand? i hardly think so...

meganjane82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meganjane82
Re: The Artist

fantastic design. i have two siamese cats and this is totally right on ;)

meganjane82

fourlane77 wrote:..incredible use of a white t-shirt...hard to pull off successfully..bravo!

so pretty!

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Paper Tiger

This is based on the origami of Sipho Mabona. I folded my own tiger model for reference, but it was nowhere near the level of detail and nuance he is capable of. It really made me appreciate the artform, and made me realize I have a long way to go with both my origami and graphic design skills!

meganjane82

jasneko wrote:Charming!!

I love the illustration style

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: A patch of sun

Agggh...Brown,the colour of doom -- vs the far more horrible colour of DOOM mistakenly called Cream. *sighhhhh*

Oh man, if only this weren't brown....or at least were BROWN tabbies on a brown shirt, in which case I would feel the background could work as one of the colours in the design and would be matched in colour tones. I feel gray & brown very often clash, too, so brown tabbies instead would be a fix, or you could put the current grey tabby design on the darkest shade of gray (asphalt?).

It's just so rare that I can justify a design on brown... I may have one but I'm not even sure I have ANY woot brown shirts. And I LOVE this concept, art, and TABBIES of all sorts. Maybe you could consider submitting another version or two w/ the suggested change(s) ?Pretty pretty please? :D

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

hmglass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmglass
bluetuba wrote:^^this^^

No text means no text of any kind and they are very picky about it. This will 100% be rejected as soon as the rejectionator sees it.

The sooner you think of a way to convey your joke without the words and resubmit this without the text the better off you'll be.

resub it with a generic liquor logo!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Re: COPYCAT

I would like to remind everyone that the focus should be on the art and not the artist(s). Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

fourlane77

Re: 9 lives is not enough

..funny idea! would like this a lot more if your shadows weren't so black...

fairnymph

Re: Snowy Footprints

As others have said, the background 'curtain' seems inconsistent with the snowy outdoor environment and streetlamp. The small clumps of grass near the base of the curtain also don't fit - not with an indoor theater, nor with a urban city sidewalk.

The art and concept are beautiful, elegant and far superior to most other entries - and with a definite and more polished setting and background, I think this would be a winner.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Re: Catlas

Nice

fairnymph

Re: Dreams of Fish

Love the art and concept, but the design seems a little spare/empty/lacking to me. I think adding in more stars and perhaps the neighouring constellations to either side of the fish would make this design more complete. You could also then simply brighten and perhaps slightly enlarge stars of the fish constellation so that it stands out without needing connecting lines.

And what about a Navy background shirt colour, which would make stars easier, maybe, as the stars could be half-toned in degrees of white? Just some thoughts.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Walmazan- my words have been twisted enough now that my original message is lost- I hope that you will at least read what I have to say here, because I have no problem with you or your designs at all.

Like I've said several times now, this design is well executed and looks great- I just had a problem with you saying you hadn't seen this idea before, when I know you saw radiomode's entry in the letter C derby. Thinking back on it, I shouldn't have said anything. It is obviously possible you forgot about having seen that entry before, and that's fine. It was a long time ago, we all make mistakes.

All of us try to come up with appealing t-shirt designs that people will enjoy each week. When you are designing for shirts, it is very easy to run into similar ideas, and with the number of different designers and shirt sites out there, it is nearly impossible to see every single one before you post. Sometimes it is just the concept that's similar. Others, like in this case, the execution is similar as well. Woot will make the final decision, and my comments will have nothing to do with it.

I don't think you have ever had a similar shirts exist rejection before in all your time on woot. I don't know if this week will be the first, but either way, it is a reflection on your work as a whole. You have a consistent and recognizeable style, and are able to make old ideas into your own. This particular one is too close for my tastes, but others obviously disagree. To each their own, and best of luck to you regardless of what happens.

To some of you others in this thread (you know who you are)- If you want to pretend to care about the rules of the derby, at least be consistent with your claims. Like I said before, snarky and evasive comments won't accomplish, whether you want to address the issues that were mentioned or not. The rejection notice doesn't say "same shirt exists," it says "similar shirts exist." If you want to tell me that the designs aren't similar, you might need to get your eyes checked. I realized that it was probably a bad PR move to bring this up at all, especially given the power of Walmazan's name, but I have been making an effort to be more active recently on the forums and didn't think my comments were unwarranted or unfair. This thread is just another crystal clear example of double standards on woot (and I mean within the community, not the staff).

ajmyers87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajmyers87

i can haz 1?

In all seriousness... really nice. I winced when I saw the derby topic but this delivers. Will buy one for sure when it prints. And it will.

fairnymph

midgerock wrote:I understand what you were going for with the design since I own a cat myself and they just love laying in the sun but this looks like a pile of dead cats baking in the sun to me. varied lengths to the legs of the cats and kittens and the one open eye on the bottom cat which I realize is staring at the mouse seems too open and dead looking. If it was more closed and spying it may read better.

THIS is another reason I strongly suggest a different colour shirt, and perhaps with the extra colour you'd gain from being able use the background asphalt/grey, you could do green eyes which would certainly make the whole design more lively & less dead/sick. I associate yellow-tinted white of the eyes with the the disease jaundice

trevorstearns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trevorstearns
Re: The Artist

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and compliments.
Although I have never had the experience of paint paw prints on the wall (don't ask about the white prints on the hardwood floor), I came up with this idea after seeing the tree trunk like mud streaks on the storm door window with a scattering of prints above it. I am concerned as the cats were in the same room watching me as I drew this design even going so far as to jump up on the computer desk to stare at the monitor, I am now keeping my art supplies under lock and key for the foreseeable future.

fourlane77

Re: DeCATpitated

..this makes me think "itchy and scratchy" meets "ren and stimpy"...i love it!

Melanthalady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Melanthalady
Re: Lick Everything

I need one for my daughter (who currently thinks it's hilarious to lick absolutely everything). I might get one myself too. Incidentally, I think I gave this cat to a friend in college - she liked licking all the cheese off of cheese balls and puffs. She wouldn't eat the puff but all that processed cheese flavored orange stuff was apparently delightful.

fourlane77

cptgone wrote:love the drawing of the cat, like the concept too. amazing!

agreed...i've often thought about this in different ways..having it illustrated like this provides a profound visual metaphor that speaks beautifully of the relationship between us and our cats...

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Can't we all just get along?
Cats are suppose to make people happy!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 148 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
midgerock wrote:If you felt this design needed to be reported you have every right to tattle on it but at the same time posting the comments you have seems the pot calling the kettle black and shows a side of you which is not endearing like your designs.

While the use of the tattle button is nice, waiting for woot's Monday rejections quietly sitting on one's hands has for hypocrisy sake never EVER been the woot communities strong point. =/ Ponders the group of comments in this thread... it's like opposite day.

I also found at least 2 other similar shirts OTHER than the woot one or the teefury one which I remembered but couldn't locate. This one was at Snoorgtees:

Honestly we have an plethora of "Similar shirts existing" that need to be rejected this derby. Pocket cats, there are upwards of 10 already existing shirts that have printed, One them was even drawn by me and printed at LOLmart a while ago. Cat's clinging to shirts another 6 or 7 that I can find. A cat having caught a computer mice, I found 3 because I wanted to draw that one and double checked. EDIT: I forgot about the ying yang cats, I found 6 or 7 of those as existing shirts as well.

Honestly, I'm surprised MORE people haven't posted on all of these similar shirts. Anyway, I'm going to go back to sitting on my hands.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ramyb wrote: This thread is just another crystal clear example of double standards on woot (and I mean within the community, not the staff).

To be honest, Walmazan does get the benefit of the doubt from me. He has earned it by proving he is a respectable artist time and time again. In your argument, it was never a question of "similar shirt exists;" it was more of "I think you stole this design." You made an accusation against Walmazan, and now you are trying to play the victim!?! If he had a continuing history of "questionable" designs like this, then yes, I'm sure we would treat him no differently than you. Bottom line is it is not a double standard; we would have to let Walmazan slide on like 900 "questionable" designs before that was possible.

dfunk29

quality posts: 52 Private Messages dfunk29
Re: Lick Everything

I love this one, especially since I'm currently fixated on cheesy poof's!

dfunk29

Re: Finally caught it

I like this one, but something about the cat's ears or the face is throwing me off. I'm a huge fan though, and love all your other entries!

dfunk29

Re: We Are Siamese v2

I love this shirt, I love the color choices! They go so well together. I really hope this one prints, this one's my favorite of your kitties this time!

leevijeans

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leevijeans

beautiful design, but unfortunately with this being on a white shirt, my nipple would show up as the cat's mouth

Re: Artistic Expression

dfunk29

leevijeans wrote:beautiful design, but unfortunately with this being on a white shirt, my nipple would show up as the cat's mouth

lol!

dfunk29

trevorstearns wrote: I am now keeping my art supplies under lock and key for the foreseeable future.

Good idea, I can't even begin to tell you the mess my cat has made of my supplies! I really hope it prints, it's just beautiful!

leevijeans

n8lightfoot wrote:If it were a dog id be in. Or if the cat was being crushed to death.

in other words, you hate this week's derby, too. high five!

dfunk29

goldenthorn wrote:I... wut... this... have you.... I... agdajkdgkljgfalkjsgflkjh;ljkhKLASDH

Hello and welcome to woot! It is simply wonderful and heartening to see someone so passionate about cats. I myself am the proud and crazy owner of three cats and do very much empathise with the empassioned defense of their worthiness, goodness, and should-not-be-dead-ness. With my own expert expertise in cattery and well-honed master skills of forum readery, I am here to assure you that the artist is doing nothing more suspicious than illustrating a hyperbolic they-sure-do-love-that-sunlight catpile. If you have design criticism along the lines of Mr. Midgerock's, as seen above, then I will not be one to necessarily disagree. But please do let yourself rest easy in the knowledge that Teh Kitteh is well-respected in this design.

If, on the other hand, you are trolling the established woot trope of Today's Offended Party, then I see what you did there and salute you.

Wow. You are a rock star. Your initial reaction in your response(I...wut...) was the same as mine, but you...you..you just-wow!

Ever thought of running for office?

dfunk29

fairnymph wrote:As others have said, the background 'curtain' seems inconsistent with the snowy outdoor environment and streetlamp. The small clumps of grass near the base of the curtain also don't fit - not with an indoor theater, nor with a urban city sidewalk.

The art and concept are beautiful, elegant and far superior to most other entries - and with a definite and more polished setting and background, I think this would be a winner.

Did you see the resub that was entered almost right away after the original? It's much more realistic. The "curtain", I guess, was supposed to represent trees. So there's a much more literal one resubmitted. I really like it.

leevijeans

i like the details such as the circles, crown, heterochromic eyes, and especially the red splatter. makes it seem like a lion that has just come out victorious in a gruesome battle

Re: Kitty King

jabascus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jabascus
timelessblur wrote:I suggest you check the cheezeburger rule. This will be a quick rejection come monday.

flemtone

quality posts: 7 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Soulmates

This is very nicely done.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
emperialfire wrote:Beautiful design! I really like the red, the circles, and the swirls at the edge of the lion's mane. They add a dramatic element to the lion that is a nice artistic accent.

I'm distracted by the eyes though... not sure if it's the symmetry or the color difference that's doing it, but it seems off to me.

I'd still buy one

Love the eyes, makes me wonder what he's been through. The other stylistic flourishes are marvelous too. Great job. +1