officeink

quality posts: 3 Private Messages officeink
chaoswerecat wrote:I like it. Can you make it less square? The tree roots, the top of the tree and the swing?

Thanks,glad you like it.
The "square" look to the design is actually intentional...as though it were a page from a storybook...

officeink

quality posts: 3 Private Messages officeink
Re: Cat-ions

Very cute design while still being a lil geeky. I'd so wear this design! :D

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: Hipster Cat

Huzzah for Gryffindor!!!

DownEast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DownEast

I've been looking at this weeks challange thinking "There's no way I would get a kitty tee" and I saw this one....you won me over...GMV

bethany3cat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
Re: Cheshire Dressing Room

Whoever you are, oh generous benefactor, thank you, so much, for that one vote that just appeared.

I'm such a noobie that it's too soon to call me that. However, I made a commitment to myself that I would start taking some risks and put myself out there. Of course, Woot! Is a bit of "strong criticism" environment. (understatement). Talk about jumping into the deep end!!

This is the first derby that I have ever entered (first tee contest ever), and I put in two -- the other has no comment, but about 30+ votes, not exactly stellar, but a good first showing. This one, on the other hand is dying on the vine.

[It was definitely premature for me to enter this, or any contest, but Woot! had to go and pick cats, and our home is a cat rescue with many, many models walking around, telling me that I had all the raw materials. So, just do it!]

Anyway, I have been lurking here, watching, and praying that I get one more vote (in addition to my own), to save myself from epic fail. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to "up my game" from a combination of scanned drawings, a WebOS HP TouchPad drawing app, and Microsoft Paint. :-) Maybe lurk some more and learn from all the artists routinely putting out fabulous art.

Or, perhaps, find a different way to try and recreate myself. Anyone know a good basketweaving listserv?

firefrogh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages firefrogh
cpresti wrote:Alright, I'm not trying to be rude but why is this is the fog? It's cute an' all, but there are certainly better ones.

I'm sorry you don't like this design. Maybe I will submit a design you will like more in the next derby.

Ps. Your Dumbledore design in the Things That Start With A derby is one of my favorites since I started here at Woot. I wish it would have printed.

DownEast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DownEast

Best Rejected Shirt I have EVER seen!!!

This needs to be made, somewhere... I know Cat Ladies who I would LOVE to give this too.

Recommend another version shirt for the older crowd, where the cats are lower down too ;)

woodbury419

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woodbury419
Re: Predators

Haha! I love it!! I'd totally rock this shirt for I loves Kitteh's AND Predator!

-Woodbury419

krow1994

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krow1994

Memes come and go, but their legacy lasts forever.

vstephenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

Well done!

darkbard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkbard
Re: Drizzt and Guen

WIN WIN WIN... on SO many levels.

I NEED THIS SHIRT

darkbard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkbard
Re: We Do It For The Lulz

Okay, very cool, and well done design.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Cheshire Dressing Room

I like your idea, but you do need some better tools.
If you have a tablet or a very steady mouse hand, you can do wonders with the free program GIMP. If precision is more your thing, go with Inkscape, also free. In reality, you will benefit from both, since GIMP can read/write files in the Photoshop format and is better suited for submitting shirt comps/thumbs.
Good luck, and GMV for tenacity.

move along

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: Scribble Cats

Can we get a detail shot?

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann
Re: Lucky at last

Thank you for making a "cute" shirt for this derby! I was excited when I saw the derby theme, thinking that there would have to be tons of cute kitty shirts and people wouldn't be able to complain about it. I was wrong. This derby is seriously lacking in cuteness.

cinnamoncheryl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinnamoncheryl
Re: Movie Night

I love this design. I'm definitely the kitty with the scarf. ;)

citizencoyote

Re: Puss in Boot

If this prints I may finally get my daughter in a woot shirt. Actually, practically any of the top 20 entries would probably do it, but this is one of my favorites.

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann
Re: Breading Champion

The artwork is adorable, but I can't vote for it because I don't like meme shirts. Or memes in general for that matter.

citizencoyote

treebirdoctopus wrote:They do! People can't go a week without a Ramy print! So why not cater the derbies specifically to him. Makes sense.

Many of the regular artists are known for cute designs and/or a love of cats. Bassanimation, DianaSprinkle, Ochopika, Walmazan, Lucky1988, firefrough... the list goes on.

Black cats get a bum rap, this shirt is awesome.

megan484

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megan484
Re: COPYCAT

This is incredibly disappointing. While this concept has indeed been done before, I agree with everyone that it was certainly a different execution. However, what may have not been entered in the calculations is new woot-ers (like myself) and those who do not follow other t-shirt sites (also like myself) who were itching to buy this design if it printed because they could not buy any of the previous "similar" shirts. Now, with no chance of it being printed, you have certainly lost my dollars.

cptgone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone
Re: Rarely Friendly V2

GMV v2 ;)
hope it prints!

mspace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mspace
Re: Scribble Cats

While I do love the design, I have to admit it is starting to look like chest hair(!) Maybe live, it won't . . .

cptgone

Re: Clockwork Orange Kitty v2

people who haven't voted for this yet will receive their free re-education treatment shortly.

mgrizzl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mgrizzl
Re: CAT FORCE ONE

I really like this one. I could even get my guys to wear kitties with this!

cptgone

i'm sad this shirt got rejected. it's the only one in the fog i voted for (and i voted for many shirts this derby). i was looking forward to buying it.

i don't care for the reportedly similar designs. i think it's silly to reject this design due to a superficial similarity to inferior ones.

cptgone

tjost wrote:Woot stays away from almost anything to do with N azism or fascism (or basically anything that would cause a stir with religious or political leanings).

almost anything, indeed:

Axis And Allies

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
Re: Anti-Gravity

i would really like this shirt, if the toast was strapped to the cat's stomach. cats always land on their feet, so this cat could just land the way it is. but the drawing itself is great. i love the expression on the cat.

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor
Re: Rarely Friendly V2

GMV!

Absolutely love this one!

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: Puss in Boot

I still only see headphones, and I've been staring for three days trying to figure it out, as well as Googling for other meanings of boot. Clue in the clueless?

aaronmercy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronmercy
Re: Hayao Meowazaki

A cute and cuddly tribute to an outstanding artist. This is my first piece submitted to Woot, I am a sketch artist, which is the way I approach this piece. When looking at a photo of Mr. Hayao Miyazaki an image of a cute kitten on a sootball came to mind. First I sketched it on to paper, than later pulling the image on to photo shop; however, green behind the ears I feel I developed a fairly accurate take on him as some thing that even more cutie. I am a fairly new graphic artist so any comments or opinions are truly appreciated.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
gement wrote:I still only see headphones, and I've been staring for three days trying to figure it out, as well as Googling for other meanings of boot. Clue in the clueless?

Sorry the boot is confusing for some. They're really odd looking apparatuses. I googled a lot of them and they come in many different looks. I think, though, that I made a mistake on the front of the one here. I had drawn into the sketch some of the front pieces, but I decided to leave them off for fear it would be even more confusing. ^^;

Here's the picture I used for reference.

As you can see here, there's some black pegs in the front and some smaller yellow bits underneath the bar. I had initially drawn them, but I wasnt sure if it helped or distracted, so I left them off. :\ Sorry if I missed the mark for some. I will revisit the image if it doesnt print and try to make the boot more 'booty'. Truthfully, I would have loved to be able to put the title underneath him. ^_^

Also, for fun, you can google 'tire boot' to see all the different types of boots there are. I had a hard time picking one that would look the best @_@;.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

.   .

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

AlexIAm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm

As disappointed as I am about this rejection, my guess is woot it trying to not "play favorites" by not rejecting a SSE from a favorite artist. There's still hope for an HM... it would not be the first time a rejected shirt got one.

::crosses fingers::

>insert funny quote here<

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: A patch of sun (Sunnier version)

The face on the kitten is so awesome. I'd buy it just for that.

nblottie

Re: Call of Kitty

I especially like the plastic on the ammo belt. Great work!

nblottie

Re: Mittens, Bringer of DEATH.

Ahhh yes, reminds me of D&D in a way. ha!

bethany3cat

j5 wrote:I like your idea, but you do need some better tools.
If you have a tablet or a very steady mouse hand, you can do wonders with the free program GIMP. If precision is more your thing, go with Inkscape, also free. In reality, you will benefit from both, since GIMP can read/write files in the Photoshop format and is better suited for submitting shirt comps/thumbs.
Good luck, and GMV for tenacity.

Great advice, and thank you for the "Tenacious j5" vote. I may just have to draw myself a special trophy for that! --with my new GIMP program... Free is great. It will probably complement my OpenOffice nicely.

I'm actually lucky that I didn't create something on my first go-around that wowed the shirt.woot swarm. (not that I really harbored that fantasy, but I was hoping for a few "attagirls" or a few votes) After I read tgentry's designer advice last night, I realized that I do not have the capacity for layers--if my design had magically ended up in the top three, I would not have been capable of supplying Proofs the way Woot! needs them.

I thought I might have to table my creative license until I had the funds for the illustration software and/or hardware (alt read, never), but you have offered me a bread crumb, and I will see which way out of the forest this trail might lead.

Thanks, again, I was a little discouraged, but you've reminded me that I am also tenacious! Whine for a minute ... Okay ... Let's go get 'em!

motionxz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages motionxz

Maybe you should self publish it. I would certainly buy one.

bethany3cat

moonletters wrote:I love the simplicity of this!

Thank you, Moonletters, I admire the Sumi-e style, with its economy of brush strokes, and I was emulating that when I drew this.

I was afraid it might be too simple for t-shirt design, but I figured it was worth entering -- if nothing more, to break the ice for me, since this is my first ever art entry into anything.

And you, gentle reader, were my first comment!

Thank you.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg