tsfisch

quality posts: 39 Private Messages tsfisch
endangeredomega wrote:The implication that so many Americans these days are losing their jobs due to performance issues is ... well, pretty burlap chafes me soy, imho.

Wow, touchy much? I don't think anything even close to that was implied by the statement.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
elezar wrote:This lie that everyone keeps mentioning is rather concerning. I never saw their comments about the price increase being so that they could stay with AA/an American company. Do you have a link to that?

There was no lie.

Several of the comments said something about the price being ok since the blanks were from a US company, but I can't see that woot said anything like that.

Nothing follows.

alangeiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alangeiger

Today's shirt is the last for me. Anvil iT shirts are crap.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Magic Cave wrote:I should have worded my question more clearly. The 3X shirt woot carries now is the weirdest 3X I've ever seen or worn. I should have asked about a *standard size* 3X.

Many thanks for your response, however; the clarity problem was all mine.

Ahh, okay! I thought maybe you were someone who had been more active on shirt.woot long ago (as I believe there was a time when woot did not offer 3X) and came back after hearing about the new blanks. Yeah, I make stuff up in my head a lot.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

elezar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elezar
taternuggets wrote:There was no lie.

Several of the comments said something about the price being ok since the blanks were from a US company, but I can't see that woot said anything like that.

Yeah, I saw that post of course, but I'm assuming there's something else that I must have missed. A lot of people that are referencing the lie seem to be more questioning "Didn't they say this" than statements that they DID say it. That was actually why I responded to Kim's post about it, as she seems quite sure that they made the statement.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Ouch. Shirt.What is closed in protest of the new branded blanks. :X Not sure I can deal with that... Haaaalllppp?

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
bassanimation wrote:Ouch. Shirt.What is closed in protest of the new branded blanks. :X Not sure I can deal with that... Haaaalllppp?

I noticed that yesterday and bluchez commented that it's not really in protest, he just wanted to let his feelings be known.

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4855246&PageIndex=4&ReplyCount=200#post4856498

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

jbackert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbackert

This is a terrible idea. I hate you for slowly ruining woot. Please stop. You have now increased the price, decreased the quality, and added a week to the shipping time since you took over 2 years ago. What is wrong with you? Just stop!

katreenz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katreenz

To everyone spouting off all this DEY TOOK OUR JOBS nonsense, do just a teeny tiny microsecond of research:

All those nifty "American" jobs you're worried about? They were illegal immigrants up until the Fed finally cracked down in 2009. AA hid behind "made in America" but used tax-free immigrant labor. Not to mention the numerous sexual harassment suits brought against the company and the fact that their financial situation is tenuous at best.

Support American companies, sure. But support them because they're GOOD, not because of the flag they put on the pole.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

annewaterman wrote:Wow, this speaks volumes....*volumes*

shirt.woot just gave us their answer...

In order to stay in business they've got to meet the demands and standards set forth by Amazon (like it or not) OR Amazon will take shirt.woot and flush it down the toilet...or worse, send printing overseas too.

I'm satisfied with that answer...I'd rather keep some of shirt.woot in the USA rather than none of it. Thanks llandar

That was a pretty broad leap in interpretation. I've worked for numerous large companies and a few small ones like Woot!

One very big wig told me many years ago, it's up to the company to do what is necessary to remain profitable and stay in business. This preserves the jobs of those employees. I believe strongly in that sentiment. I've been lucky that the companies I have worked for (including Woot) have been able to do this while maintaining their quality standards.

As employees, it's up to us to ensure that we add value to the company through the quality of our work and commitment to the company goals.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tsfisch

jbackert wrote:This is a terrible idea. I hate you for slowly ruining woot. Please stop. You have now increased the price, decreased the quality, and added a week to the shipping time since you took over 2 years ago. What is wrong with you? Just stop!

Can you point me to the FACTS where they have decreased quality?

tsero4

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tsero4

nyenna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyenna
tsero4 wrote:

True Story

WIN. I just cracked up.

Not buying any more shirts until they bring back AA.

FullTangHalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FullTangHalo
ThunderThighs wrote:
FWIW, this wasn't a sudden decision. I was sent some test shirts over 2 years ago. I was sent a womens Anvil and I really liked it. I never order AA womens shirts.

Oh, and my adult son was also a test candidate. He's very sensitive to itchy material. He loved the Anvil shirt and wore it constantly. He said it was better than the AA.

Well it seems the people making sure that shirt.woot stays profitable thought a little too much on the profit side and less on the messaging side. Something that has been in the works for a year, 2 years, and the amazingly bad job of message management makes me think it wasn't thought out nearly well enough.

Raise prices, then follow with a supplier change in less than a month. No communication of a possible supplier change, just Blam! on a Tuesday. It doesn't even matter if the product is of the same quality or even slightly lesser, anyone would tell you the "perception" was gonna be bad. And that's what your dealing with right now, people's perceptions of what they thought shirt.woot was about and what it will be going forward.

The whole roll-out of this feels like something out of a high school econ/marketing class, one that would get a see me after class.

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants
bluejester wrote:I have another question for woot, which I don't mean to sound accusatory, but it crossed my mind when I ordered "Shhhhh" right after the price increase. When I got it, it didn't feel the same to me. I thought it might be a different blank.

Have you already started to integrate the anvil shirts into the production line, even back then?

No, we have never sent out an Anvil blank prior to this announcement.

The new shirts will roll out starting with today's design. In this case, it's only the Men's shirts with the new blanks, but we'll keep you posted as we transition fully to the new blanks. Expect that change to roll out fast, and know it will vary according to shirt color and size group (Men/Women/Kids). We're trying to be as transparent as possible with the introduction of the new blanks.

Reckoning designs have already been printed on the old blanks, but new batches of reprints will be on the new blanks. We'll be changing those size charts accordingly.

All shirts made by all manufacturers have tolerances that allow for some variation shirt to shirt. You'll find slight variations in width or length for any Men's Medium from a single manufacturer. Obviously there's also minor differences in dye lots, batches of cotton, and even from one sewing machine to another. That is likely the culprit for any difference you've noticed.

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants
sharonkay wrote:I'd like to see a side by side SIZE comparison chart ... I buy for 5 members of our family ... rather than remeasuring ... just a quick glance reference chart would be handy.

I'm a heavy set woman and won't want the slimmer lady sizes ... so would like to make sure I buy the right size for EACH member of our family.

Thank you for reading my post.

We've got another blog post rolling out tonight at midnight that highlights the differences in the Women's blanks. There will be side-by-side size charts and a photo of the old blank next to the new. The cuts on those are pretty different, and there is more of a difference between the sizes as well.

The Men's blanks are identical in chest width and are less than 1/2 inch shorter in length, so we didn't feel these needed as extensive an explanation.

Always check the size chart of the individual design you're purchasing. We're working had to keep those up-to-date with accurate size information. The size chart is the best resource for you to judge the proper size to purchase.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

tbd.

tsfisch

FullTangHalo wrote: And that's what your dealing with right now, people's perceptions of what they thought shirt.woot was about and what it will be going forward.

I thought it was a place to occasionally buy a funny/interesting/culturally relevant shirt for reasonably cheap. Which is what I presume it will be going forward.

Google "American Apparel" and you'll find they weren't so much a clothing company as they were a social agenda. Whether I agree with it or not, I'd prefer to pay someone to make me a shirt (and nothing else) and then support my favorite charity/political cause/whatever directly.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Posting in epic thread of epicness.

I'll be reserving judgement until I see the type of Anvil tee Woot is using for myself, but given ProfHotpants and odysseyroc are familiar with them and dig the quality, and given all of the shirt testing that has gone down before this decision, I'm expecting them to be just fine.

There's a ton of import and export trade between the US and Honduras (citation). It's a relationship that's overall very good for both countries. I don't know... food for thought.

leafredleaf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leafredleaf
elezar wrote:This lie that everyone keeps mentioning is rather concerning. I never saw their comments about the price increase being so that they could stay with AA/an American company. Do you have a link to that?

The only thing I found says the opposite.

Shmuel510 wrote:As near as I can tell, this is mythical.

There were numerous statements made by Woot customers to the effect that they didn't mind the price change as long as the shirts were still made in the USA, and another user (not a Woot staffer) posted a survey on Deals.Woot asking if people would have preferred that Shirt.Woot keep the $10 price and import cheaper shirts, but I haven't found any post in which a Woot staffer drew a connection between the two.

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

Is shirt.woot just going to simply ignore all this built up anger? It would be good to actually listen your your customers.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Spiritgreen wrote:I'll be reserving judgement . . .

HERETIC! STONE THE BLASPHEMER!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jbhswim wrote:Is shirt.woot just going to simply ignore all this built up anger? It would be good to actually listen your your customers.

most customers don't post in the forums. i imagine they'll wait and see how sales do before responding.

FullTangHalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FullTangHalo
tsfisch wrote:I thought it was a place to occasionally buy a funny/interesting/culturally relevant shirt for reasonably cheap. Which is what I presume it will be going forward.

Google "American Apparel" and you'll find they weren't so much a clothing company as they were a social agenda. Whether I agree with it or not, I'd prefer to pay someone to make me a shirt (and nothing else) and then support my favorite charity/political cause/whatever directly.

You've misunderstood the intent of my comment. I was speaking from only a marketing/messaging POV.

Discount all the AA vs Anvil, American vs import, etc...

What I saw at it's most basic level shirt.woot was a place to buy "quality" funny shirts for $10. We vote for designs and the top 3 are sold Fri-Sun. It's a community, and as this thread has show was "perceived" as such.

It seems as though many may now "perceive" it as all about the $$$ and if we have to be less than forthcoming with changes to protect that $$$ it's ok.

Everything I've said is about the "perception" and failure to maintain what it "was" to "is going forward"

Underneath it all, it's business, cold and cruel, it's how it's perceived and that perception is managed that marketing is all about, and the job done here has been less than top marks.

fallapart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fallapart

Some of us were never that concerned with the "Made In America" deal, since we're not americans. Whatever lets us keep getting cool shirts for cheap is good with me.

. : | MARTURIA | : .

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
jbhswim wrote:Is shirt.woot just going to simply ignore all this built up anger? It would be good to actually listen your your customers.

Yes. We created this post and encouraged you guys to comment so we could ignore it.

tsfisch

What do you expect them to do? Reverse the decision the day it came out?

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05

bluejester wrote:when I ordered "Shhhhh" right after the price increase. When I got it, it didn't feel the same to me. I thought it might be a different blank.

I noticed the same thing. I looked when I got home, and while it is still an AA, it's got a different tag than the normal Woot tag. Maybe it's a different AA blank.

2. In all this, the fit/quality of the blanks are of lesser importance to me. However, I looked in my closet and I do have 1 Anvil T. It's a Pixies T from a concert in 2004. It's my favorite shirt...it's soft, it doesn't shrink, it still looks good enough to wear out, and it's still soft enough to use as a sleep shirt. If that's the blank they're using then my only problems are outsourcing and raising prices while simultaneously lowering their own costs and not being upfront about it.

jeninmaine

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jeninmaine
chennai8 wrote:One of you is lying ... Which one is it ?

I don't think either of us is lying, but it may just be the staffer has the particular body type that works with Anvil shirts. To each their own.

All I can say is that through my own anecdotal and my family's professional experience, Anvil are not looked upon as a quality brand. Even their relatively-new organic selection.

My comparison:

AA = possibly overblown, but still decent quality name-brand organic strawberry jam in a pretty jar

Anvil = low-frills grape jelly chock full of high fructose corn syrup and mysterious "natural flavors"

mrsstudrobinson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrsstudrobinson

There has been a lot of talk about the specific mens shirt to be used, but I haven't seen anything about the specific womens shirts. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough?

I am a female. I am short. I wear a 32C so the AAs weren't a problem. They're actually quite comfy. But the thing I like best about them is that they cover my pants waistline, even when I sit down. And I want to be comfortable in my clothes whether I'm standing or sitting, not fiddling with them trying to stay decent when I move around.

***I DO NOT LIKE SHORT SHIRTS!!!***

I looked up the Anvil blank tees, and NONE of them have a decent length - even for a short girl like me.

I am not happy about the change for that reason alone. The other stuff doesn't bother me. But the shorter shirts absolutely bother me. A lot. >

noitalevier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noitalevier
llandar wrote:Yes. We created this post and encouraged you guys to comment so we could ignore it.

llandar

mrsstudrobinson wrote:

***I DO NOT LIKE SHORT SHIRTS!!!***

The new blanks are less than a half inch shorter and do not shrink as much. You should survive with minimal discomfort.

bethr63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethr63

Thanks woot for yet another disappointing change. First you increase your price and now this. I won't say I'll never buy another shirt, but it will certainly have to just be a design I can't live without. In the past I've bought several shirts just for fun... But I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. Oh, and you are darn right the "Honduras thing" gives me pause.

okac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages okac
llandar wrote:The new blanks are less than a half inch shorter and do not shrink as much. You should survive with minimal discomfort.

She was asking about the female shirts.
However, a woot staffer already noted that the female shirt sizes will be shown tonight.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
lutherann wrote:I hate anvil shirts. In response to one post, ProfHotpants said, "It's possible you've worn a different style Anvil shirt. They're not all the same." How very true! Even when you've ordered the same style and size shirt, they're not all the same. Their sizes are inconsistent at best and the quality is terrible. When I ordered a Woot! shirt printed on an AA blank, I knew what I was getting; now I would not feel confident ordering a shirt from Woot!.

Yeah, because nobody has *ever* complained about inconsistent sizing with their AA woot shirts.

llandar

okac wrote:She was asking about the female shirts.
However, a woot staffer already noted that the female shirt sizes will be shown tonight.

I was talking about the female shirts. The length difference is the same as the men's. The big difference is in the chest.

Jubcub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jubcub

I'm incredibly disappointed! First Threadless sold out over greed, and now you are doing it too.
I switched to collecting your shirts when Threadless raised their prices, and stopped making them domestically. Now I'm going to stop buying yours too.
Anvil is a far inferior product that shrinks in to a square midriff after only a few washes.
You have gotten at least $10/wk from me for the past 2-3 years, and now you will be losing that in addition to the money you made from the dozens of friends, and their friends of friends that were turned on to your shirts.
I could deal with the $2 increase, but switching to a foreign manufacturer like Anvil is beyond unacceptable.
Enjoy going out of business because you were too greedy.

okac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages okac
llandar wrote:I was talking about the female shirts. The length difference is the same as the men's. The big difference is in the chest.

ah okies. I have read almost all of this and thought it was basically all about the mens shirts (being shorter) so thanks for clarifying.
I'm def. interested in seeing the sizing tonight as I always have to order ML.

I came to woot for the bunny shirts, so I havent decided how I feel about them not being American made yet...

nmpls

quality posts: 22 Private Messages nmpls
llandar wrote:The new blanks are less than a half inch shorter and do not shrink as much. You should survive with minimal discomfort.

And yet, it is.
I already don't dry my shirts to avoid shrinkage.
6'4" with a 30 in inseam, I need my shirt length. Post up your measurements before you tell us our concern is groundless.