+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If you haven't heard the news, we're changing over shirt suppliers. Feel free to make your way over to the forums and grouse. We'll wait. All done? Cool. Now, the biggest change in our shirts is going to be in Women's Sizes. Before you assume, "I'll just order the same size, it can't be that big a difference," know that our own ProfHotPants wore a Women's Large in the old size but prefers a Women's Medium in the new blanks. 

Let us reiterate here for a second that there won't be any kind of change in quality of fabric or material. Anvil makes several types of blank, and the ones we've tested extensively before switching are made the exact same way our previous blanks were: 100% ring-spun cotton, ribbed collar, taped shoulder seams, double needle hems, the works. Some Woot employees, like writer llandar, can't even tell the difference between the two. Others, like ProfHotPants, actually prefer them to the old style. So don't freak out about the new threads just yet. 

Today marks the first sale in which Women's sizes will switch to the new supplier, so you DO need to know how the size change is going to work. Here's the OLD, outdated sizing chart:

Old Sizing Chart

And here is the NEW sizing chart:

New Sizing Chart

As you can see, the new shirts offer a little more room for people who are not beanpoles and might dare to have a curve or two:

WomensShirtBlanks

But just what do these measurements mean, exactly? Take a look at this handy t-shirt diagram to get the idea:

If you want to take the guess work out of it, you'll want to get yourself a tape measure and measure the length of your torso (vertically). This gives you the Front Length you're looking for. Before you measure your bust and freak out, here's how Chest Width works:

Shirts are measured while lying flat on a surface. The "Chest Width" is literally the measurement across the chest on the front of the shirt; it doesn't take into account the circumference of the shirt when it's on your body, so you should double the number before you compare it to your bust measurement. Therefore, a WS with a 17" Chest Width actually accommodates a 34" chest, a WL with 21" Width will fit a 42" chest, etc. Make sense?

We'll also be updating this post with testimonials from female Woot employees who have tried both styles so they can give their two cents about comparisons in fit or whether they experienced a big swing in size. We can go into the details of it and bore everyone to tears, but real-world testimonials are much more helpful. 

Still confused? Fire any questions about the fit of the new sizes at us in the comments section!

Quality Posts

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 23 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

But why why why was there a price increase when you save even more than that on the difference between the cost of these blanks? :<

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

inspektordogge

quality posts: 4 Private Messages inspektordogge

Now it seems like an extra small is in order. Sure, some women aren't small; you solved that problem. But my girlfriend has trouble finding anything that fits her well at all, most women's small t shirts look like tunics on her. I guess you can't please everyone...

greenlightgo722

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenlightgo722

Regardless of any of the complaints, and worries about material source, etc. I am so unbelievably excited to try out a new shirt from woot, where my "girls" might actually be comfortable. Even buying the XL in women's makes it look like i've been scouring the junior's rack in skeezy-ho-ville.

In less words, AA "women's" sizes in no way accommodated for my...hem... "women's" size.

huzzah hooray and all that stuff.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob

Looks like I'm going to have to switch from a WM to WS. Not happy with the length difference between the two however. I would be losing an inch and 3/8 of length so that the chest isn't baggy. Not thrilled.

lakesler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakesler

I for one welcome the change. I'll finally be able to order the size I usually wear, and it looks like it will fit *much* better across my natural DDs.

greenlightgo722

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenlightgo722
inspektordogge wrote:Now it seems like an extra small is in order. Sure, some women aren't small; you solved that problem. But my girlfriend has trouble finding anything that fits her well at all, most women's small t shirts look like tunics on her. I guess you can't please everyone...

I would recommend trying a K 12 then. Especially for the AA shirts - they are longer than the women's sizes, but have skinnier chest measurements. Your XS concerns might be easily solved!

Check the measurements, and if it doesnt work out, you're out the cost of one wicked cool shirt that could go to an awesome kid through goodwill. <3 karma!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Hmmm, I do like the new shapey-er tees, but not so crazy about the shorter length. It means the sweater cows will get more grazing room, but I'll have to watch my gut when I stretch my arms up high. @_@

On the upside, it appears I will most likely wear a WS now. :D :D :D I'll order a WS and WM when they're available to see which one is best.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

Extraordinary frustration here. You've finally listened to the part of your community that asked to have shirts that fit busty women. (Yay! Maybe I can fit into the XL!) While completely ignoring the part of your community that supports you because your product was 100% USA.

Now, now, I'm stuck. I would love to have a ladies cut shirt with an awesome Patricspens design on it. But I don't know that I can support your current business practices.

Woot, I bite my thumb at you.

csnhsyearbook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csnhsyearbook
bassanimation wrote:

On the upside, it appears I will most likely wear a WS now. :D :D :D I'll order a WS and WM when they're available to see which one is best.

That tiny fleeting feeling in my chest when I realized "I'm finally a WS!! Screw dieting!!" was quickly silenced when I remembered that these shirts were not Amurcian made.

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants
inspektordogge wrote:Now it seems like an extra small is in order. Sure, some women aren't small; you solved that problem. But my girlfriend has trouble finding anything that fits her well at all, most women's small t shirts look like tunics on her. I guess you can't please everyone...

I'd suggest checking the new kids' sizes, since those are pretty close to the old women's small blanks.

All of today's shirts are going to be on the new blanks, so you can check the size chart there for all the available options.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

A 4" difference? Dang, I knew AA was tiny but sheesh.

Oh, and can someone with a shirt tell me what size and the width of the shoulders? That measurement is missing from the sizing chart (most any where really), even though it is an important one. Hey even the narrowest measurement would be nice, since this gets pinched in at the waist.

ProfHotpants

rellybob wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to switch from a WM to WS. Not happy with the length difference between the two however. I would be losing an inch and 3/8 of length so that the chest isn't baggy. Not thrilled.

I'm going to try to get more ladies in the Woot office to try the new blanks tomorrow so you can have some more informed opinions about the fit.

For me, the cut of the Anvil shirts actually sort of made them sit longer. Since the shirts are cut for those of us who have hips, the shirts actually end up in the right place. With the old blanks, the shirts would sort of get all bunched up on my hips and I'd have a lot of extra fabric sitting around my middle. I find these more flattering.

saramwrap

quality posts: 16 Private Messages saramwrap

This is tough, I agree with other commenters.

I don't like the cut of AA shirts on my torso, I'm just not shaped like them. The WXL has been the closest I could get, but it's too tight in some ways and too loose in others. The cut of the Anvil shirts looks better.

That said, I've found AA shirts to be much nicer than Anvil. I buy blank tees for my own projects and haven't been thrilled with Anvils - crooked seams and collars, rougher fabric, some inconsistencies. I can buy Anvil blanks for a few bucks each, but I opt to go for something a little nicer.

I also like the idea of buying American and this switch is a little hard to swallow.

kittenator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittenator

Does this change also go for Derby Shirts at this time?

I assume the answer is yes, and as a result I just ordered 3 shirts in the wrong size. Regardless I will be happy to have my boobs not ruining a wonderful screen print in the new shirts

ProfHotpants

blanked wrote:
Oh, and can someone with a shirt tell me what size and the width of the shoulders? That measurement is missing from the sizing chart (most any where really), even though it is an important one. Hey even the narrowest measurement would be nice, since this gets pinched in at the waist.

I don't have those extra measurements on me tonight, but I'll look it up for you in the morning. I want to give you the official measurements. I always worry my measuring tape is stretched out. (Avid knitter, so I do a lot of measuring.)

rellybob

ProfHotpants wrote:I'm going to try to get more ladies in the Woot office to try the new blanks tomorrow so you can have some more informed opinions about the fit.

For me, the cut of the Anvil shirts actually sort of made them sit longer. Since the shirts are cut for those of us who have hips, the shirts actually end up in the right place. With the old blanks, the shirts would sort of get all bunched up on my hips and I'd have a lot of extra fabric sitting around my middle. I find these more flattering.

Thanks for the info but now I'm even more depressed about the new sizing. I'm 5'3" but apparently in the beanpole category as the old sizing was perfect for my hips. Still trying to be optimistic, looking forward to more info and possibly pics? ..in all seriousness I'm happy you are addressing our concerns so quickly, I really appreciate it.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
kittenator wrote:Does this change also go for Derby Shirts at this time?

I assume the answer is yes, and as a result I just ordered 3 shirts in the wrong size. Regardless I will be happy to have my boobs not ruining a wonderful screen print in the new shirts

If you are concerned that a shirt you ordered will be the wrong size, I'm sure the people at service@woot.com would be happy to help fix it?

ProfHotpants

kittenator wrote:Does this change also go for Derby Shirts at this time?

Nope, the new sizes just started today for women's and kids. Your previous order will still be the old blanks. Keep an eye on the size charts during the transition. We're working hard to keep those up to date, so that the best place to look.

inspektordogge

greenlightgo722 wrote:I would recommend trying a K 12 then. Especially for the AA shirts - they are longer than the women's sizes, but have skinnier chest measurements. Your XS concerns might be easily solved!

She seems to find wearing kid's sizes demoralizing, but maybe I can talk her into it She has a 32A chest and she's about 5'1"... But actually the size chart seems to imply that K12 is larger than WS? It seems as if the kids sizes that would fit her more flatteringly would also be much too short

rellybob

inspektordogge wrote:She seems to find wearing kid's sizes demoralizing, but maybe I can talk her into it She has a 32A chest and she's about 5'1"... But actually the size chart seems to imply that K12 is larger than WS? It seems as if the kids sizes that would fit her more flatteringly would also be much too short

I noticed this as well while considering the kids sizes.

kittenator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittenator
ProfHotpants wrote:Nope, the new sizes just started today for women's and kids. Your previous order will still be the old blanks. Keep an eye on the size charts during the transition. We're working hard to keep those up to date, so that the best place to look.

ACK! I meant Reckoning Shirts! Same answer?

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

I think we need model pictures of the Woot ladies in a AA blank and the Anvil blank. For comparison purposes of course.

ProfHotpants

rellybob wrote:Thanks for the info but now I'm even more depressed about the new sizing. I'm 5'3" but apparently in the beanpole category as the old sizing was perfect for my hips. Still trying to be optimistic, looking forward to more info and possibly pics? ..in all seriousness I'm happy you are addressing our concerns so quickly, I really appreciate it.

I'm 5'3" too! I was a beanpole when I started working here 5 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. You might like the kids sizes? I'd suggest checking today's size chart since all the blanks are our new sizes. I think the larger kids cut is very close to our old women's small.

ProfHotpants

kittenator wrote:ACK! I meant Reckoning Shirts! Same answer?

Same answer! We'll update each design's size chart as we transition to the new blanks.

rellybob

ProfHotpants wrote:I'm 5'3" too! I was a beanpole when I started working here 5 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. You might like the kids sizes? I'd suggest checking today's size chart since all the blanks are our new sizes. I think the larger kids cut is very close to our old women's small.

My next course of action was to check the kids sizes but the K12 is actually larger than the WS it appears. Any smaller and they lose serious length. Looks as if the only way I can wear the shirts is to wear a seriously padded bra. :P

nathan118

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathan118

Now could we get a thin fit men's shirt? Not all of us are fat.

ProfHotpants

rellybob wrote:My next course of action was to check the kids sizes but the K12 is actually larger than the WS it appears. Any smaller and they lose serious length. Looks as if the only way I can wear the shirts is to wear a seriously padded bra. :P

I'm going to find the petite-est lady I can to try on the shirts tomorrow and report back here. You used to wear a WS, correct?

inspektordogge

rellybob wrote:My next course of action was to check the kids sizes but the K12 is actually larger than the WS it appears. Any smaller and they lose serious length. Looks as if the only way I can wear the shirts is to wear a seriously padded bra. :P

Sounds like you're in the same size-void as my girlfriend. And she just recently discovered that she likes AAs fit! What a shame.

ProfHotpants

nathan118 wrote:Now could we get a thin fit men's shirt? Not all of us are fat.

You're funny! The men's small shirts are tiny! We have some svelte dudes in our office and they all seem to find a good fit in our sizes.

inspektordogge

ProfHotpants wrote:I'm going to find the petite-est lady I can to try on the shirts tomorrow and report back here. You used to wear a WS, correct?

My girlfriend wore WS in AA, too.

rellybob

ProfHotpants wrote:I'm going to find the petite-est lady I can to try on the shirts tomorrow and report back here. You used to wear a WS, correct?

Actually I preferred the WM before, to allow for shrinking. I never tried a WS but I assume they prob would have fit me. Say, thanks for all the help!

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Wow! If you wore the old WXL, the closest fit in the new shirts is the new WM...except that you lose more than 1.5 inches in length! That's a big difference!

Could I get sleeve length and circumference on the new womens sizes?

Still waiting for a comparison of the men's Anvil sleeve length and circumference vs. the men's AA.

blanked

ProfHotpants wrote:I'm going to try to get more ladies in the Woot office to try the new blanks tomorrow so you can have some more informed opinions about the fit.

As I had the same problem with the AA XL I tried, yay.

And since I seem to be the only one that asked about shoulders -> I would love the XL to be 19" in the shoulder, yes I do look like a linebacker, why do you ask.

ProfHotpants

trekmiss wrote:Wow! If you wore the old WXL, the closest fit in the new shirts is the new WM...except that you lose more than 1.5 inches in length! That's a big difference!

Could I get sleeve length and circumference on the new womens sizes?

Still waiting for a comparison of the men's Anvil sleeve length and circumference vs. the men's AA.

Ugh, I'm sorry about not getting back to you on the sleeve length today. Things got a little hectic. I'm going to spend some quality time with the size charts tomorrow morning. It's a big, gnarly spreadsheet so I want to be sure I don't give you incorrect info. Tomorrow AM, it will be all sleeves all the time!

We do know these shirts will fit differently, and that why we're trying to give you as much information as we can.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Oh, the wonders of vanity sizing. O_o

ProfHotpants

endangeredomega wrote:Oh, the wonders of vanity sizing. O_o

I find these sizes to be consistent with what I buy at J Crew or The Gap or Target. Anyway, it's better than insult sizing!

blanked

endangeredomega wrote:Oh, the wonders of vanity sizing. O_o

Cough, cough

That poster pretty much summed it up.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
ProfHotpants wrote:I find these sizes to be consistent with what I buy at J Crew or The Gap or Target. Anyway, it's better than insult sizing!

I don't know ... part of me wonders if I shouldn't be just a little insulted that as a grown ass man, I now seem to wear the same size as my 6-year-old nephew (K8)

feloniousacronis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages feloniousacronis
TobiasAmaranth wrote:But why why why was there a price increase when you save even more than that on the difference between the cost of these blanks? :<

Because the knead the dough?.