mscrankypants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscrankypants

Have not purchased a shirt since "the change."

Honestly, I miss buying t-shirts more than I expected. I still check the site at 1 am most nights to see the new prints and I also follow the derbies. But, just not the same. Woot shirts were a (slightly)guilty pleasure.
Am especially sad this week to see the Art Nouveau derby. Love the artsy themes and would, most likely, have picked up at least one shirt.
Is there any reasonable expectation that Woot will return to AA? Have sales suffered? I miss you guys.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
mscrankypants wrote:
Is there any reasonable expectation that Woot will return to AA? Have sales suffered? I miss you guys.

I would say almost certainly no. They did this for financial reasons and the money they save with price hike + cheaper shirts is almost certainly way more than the money they lose from disgruntled customers and the vocal forum minority like us.

There are fans here who track sales numbers who might have some actual data to share but I'm not a stats kinda guy so I've never paid that much attention to those posts.

This change is still only a few months old and it yet remains to be seen perhaps, what the long term effects will be.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

cmallison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmallison

I just got a shirt in the new sizes and I wore a women's small and now I can still wear that size but it doesn't hug me at all and it looks like I don't know how to buy a shirt that fits. A XS needs to be brought in so that smaller lady's can still wear the shirts.

chaoswerecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaoswerecat

my first shirt in the new size arrived. I went from a WXL to a WM. The shirt fits fine around the womanly bits, but totally flares around the belly. Looks like I've gained extra pounds in that area...
A friend bought a Men's S and that fits better in the belly area, but a bit too tight above that.
I really want the AA WXL back, it was the perfect cut for beanpoles with a few curves like me.

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

I couldn't wear the WXL without looking stuffed into it around the shoulders/chest, so all my woots were always ML or MM (depending on how I wanted the design to fit). With the new shirts I decided to give WXL another shot, and I won't be doing that again. It's like a mens shirt that billows around the hips. It's really large. It looks like it came pre strenched out almost (like it looks like a shirt does after someone has been tugging on it and its in the laundry) So I guess I'm sticking with mens shirts.

laetitia63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laetitia63

I find the new sizes extremely disappointing. I got a WM of the old size which fits me perfectly. I bought a WM of the new size (I didn't see I should have ordered a size smaller) and the T-shirt is obviously too big on me. I also bought a WS of the new size for my sister who is smaller than I am. The T-shirt is still too baggy on me!! I could fit twice my belly in it. Surprisingly, the WS T-shirt is longer than the WM and when I put them at the top of each other, I don't see any difference regarding the width. I don't think I am going to buy more women T-shirts.

trinitylea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trinitylea
rellybob wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to switch from a WM to WS. Not happy with the length difference between the two however. I would be losing an inch and 3/8 of length so that the chest isn't baggy. Not thrilled.

Amen to that!! Woot, you done screwed up here. I will definitely be thinking a LOT harder before dropping any more dough in your pockets, and I feel bad for the artists that are going to lose out on sales because the "beanpoles" cant get a shirt that fits!

Also, where were all these updates, reminders, notices about size changes? I have a t-shirt that fits me like a maternity top now, thanks.

trinitylea

laetitia63 wrote:I find the new sizes extremely disappointing. I got a WM of the old size which fits me perfectly. I bought a WM of the new size (I didn't see I should have ordered a size smaller) and the T-shirt is obviously too big on me. I also bought a WS of the new size for my sister who is smaller than I am. The T-shirt is still too baggy on me!! I could fit twice my belly in it. Surprisingly, the WS T-shirt is longer than the WM and when I put them at the top of each other, I don't see any difference regarding the width. I don't think I am going to buy more women T-shirts.

I got a couple older mens smalls off ebay and they fit great, I think IF I order again, it'll be a mens small.

elisabethmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elisabethmd
trinitylea wrote:
Also, where were all these updates, reminders, notices about size changes? I have a t-shirt that fits me like a maternity top now, thanks.

That's exactly what I've been missing from Woot, too. I've been emailing with customer service, as I ordered what I thought was my regular size, having missed this information, but noy until I almost demanded that they sent me a new shirt, they agreed to do it. They seem to take no responsibilty at all for customers missing this kinda important information, expecting a tiny orange box way down on the page to do the trick.

The email I got in response said that they usually not resend a tee when customers get the wrong size. I didn't even bother to respond to that email, I was so angry. I had emailed and told them why I had missed this important piece of information. It is too far down, and not noticeable enough!

They have definitely lost me as a customer, due to all this mess, and to be honest, I'm very sad about that. I really liked the quality of the older tees, and they fit me perfectly.

trinitylea

propertyofstp wrote:I hate to point out that Anvil did NOT hold a gun to Woot's head....

Woot (And Anvil) can't make everyone happy. I assume the "majority" are not "beanpoles" like myself.

I really hate the name beanpole by the way. =(

me too! beanpole is derogatory. It's like throwing around the words chubby or muffin top. I am thin. the old shirts in a WM were perfect. losing almost 1.5 inches to get a shirt thats still going to be too big in the chest? Not happening. I'll wait for a shirt I can't live without, order a Mens Small, and if its a fail, I'm gone.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trinitylea wrote:me too! beanpole is derogatory. It's like throwing around the words chubby or muffin top. I am thin. the old shirts in a WM were perfect. losing almost 1.5 inches to get a shirt thats still going to be too big in the chest? Not happening. I'll wait for a shirt I can't live without, order a Mens Small, and if its a fail, I'm gone.

Just in case you missed this post...

llandar wrote:I hope I didn't actually offend anybody with the "bean pole" thing. I was trying to imply the old shirts were narrow and pretty much straight up and down. I thought bean pole was sort of complimentary. I have spent my life yearning to be a bean pole.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sausage8046

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sausage8046

Found this post after a customer service email sent me to check out the new woot sizes.

I bought my first woot shirt in March and it arrived as the AA WXL. The next shirt I ordered arrived just before a convention that I had really hoped to wear it to and I thought I had received a MXL by mistake. I thought I had clicked the wrong size and accepted my new night shirt until I checked my order history. My next shirt arrived the same huge style so I emailed customer service to see what was up and he sent me here with all this great data from you guys. I ordered WXL because I don't want a shirt to be too tight, I wash them in hot and I like some extra room in the arm pits, but my measurements from the old WXL washed almost match the width of a WS and the length is that of a WL. It's so mixed up, it makes me sad and I don't know that I can find a happy alternative size in woot shirts.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Sorry, but you have it backwards. There is no way an AA WXL is bigger than an anvil WXL.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

momyji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momyji

I really really miss the AA WS. Damn... so totally disappointed with the new size.. And the WS (the originally ones) were actually the best size I've ever had.

I'm just going crawl up and cry! ahh such a disappointment!

samirien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samirien

Count me among the disappointed Missed-the-Memo crowd. I only found out when I emailed thinking I'd gotten a MS instead of a WS.

And the sad thing is - I checked before I emailed! Laid out the new shirt with the old WS and one of my boyfriend's MS. There's so little difference between the new WS and the MS that they might as well use the same blank, call the sizing "Unisex" and be done.

Now that I've heard about the new sizing disappoint, just for kicks, I compared the new WS to a WS from one of Woot's competitors - and Woot's new small is still enormous in comparison.
Even if I love a design, I'm not buying a shirt that doesn't fit. Guess I'll be buying from the others.

jujubees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jujubees

Well, color me confused.

I ordered a WM based on the new sizing chart (even though the shirt listing still points to the OLD sizing chart). Based on the new sizing chart, I fully expected the shirt to arrive as a tent that I'd have to shrink in the dryer.

It's tiny.

There is no way that this WM is intended for someone with a 34-inch chest, which is a WS, much less the advertised 38 inches.

These shirts are supposed to be bigger and roomier, right?

Did I wake up in the Twilight Zone?

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

jujubees wrote:Well, color me confused.

I ordered a WM based on the new sizing chart (even though the shirt listing still points to the OLD sizing chart). Based on the new sizing chart, I fully expected the shirt to arrive as a tent that I'd have to shrink in the dryer.

It's tiny.

There is no way that this WM is intended for someone with a 34-inch chest, which is a WS, much less the advertised 38 inches.

I'm sorry that you got confused, but each shirt's individual sizing chart is correct (with a few mistakes having happened here and there between transitions, of course).
The shirt you ordered had the "old" sizing chart showing because it was still being printed on the old AA shirts. Woot has been transitioning over to the new shirts, so some shirts have been Anvil, some AA, some mixed between men/women/children on AA and Anvil--basically, whatever the sizing chart for that shirt, at that time, says.
When ordering, one should pay attention to each shirt design's sizing chart for the most possibly correct sizing information. You seem to have ended up receiving the AA WM, not the Anvil WM... just as you say was indicated on the sizing chart for that shirt at that time.
I can see how it could be confusing. I'm sorry! If you feel particularly disgruntled, it never hurts to send an email in to service@woot.com.

{{*looks down, grins, and does that blowing-the-pretend-smoke-off-her-pretend-sniper-finger-gun thing*}}

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb
jujubees wrote:Well, color me confused.

It's tiny.

There are still some shirts printing on the old AA blanks. Woot staff have been saying to order based on the sizing chart linked on the specific shirt you're ordering, though there have been some instances of the old blanks running out part way through shipping and the new blanks showing up instead.

It sounds like your shirt linked to the old AA sizing chart because it is still printing on AA.

ETA - GT, you should just change your name to sniper :P

theskettios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theskettios
samirien wrote:Count me among the disappointed Missed-the-Memo crowd. I only found out when I emailed thinking I'd gotten a MS instead of a WS.

That's the boat I'm in. Had no idea till I contacted them.
Not sure what to do with this shirt that is too big. I know they don't really do exchanges.

sigh

theskettios

Ok, so if an AA WL fit me really well, should I be aiming for a WS or a WM in the new shirts?

Gut instinct is to do a WM, but this WL I got it huge. Barely looks like it was made for a lady. There's a slight curve to it.. and it's so wide

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

theskettios wrote:Ok, so if an AA WL fit me really well, should I be aiming for a WS or a WM in the new shirts?

Gut instinct is to do a WM, but this WL I got it huge. Barely looks like it was made for a lady. There's a slight curve to it.. and it's so wide

Honestly, if the AA WL fit you perfectly, I'd steer clear of the new women's sizes (even if the WS fits your chest, I bet it'll tent at the stomach/hips, assuming that the AA WL was just right in the stomach/hips) and instead try a men's small. The AA WL was perfect for me, too, and I think that the Anvil MS is the closest approximation of cut that there now is. Unfortunately, the Anvil MS sleeves are too long and cut up and out in triangles when worn, but I'll solve that by rolling the sleeves until I--one day at some point in the future when I am no longer lazy eventually--get around to hemming the sleeves.

I haven't washed my new Anvil MS yet, but here's an overlay of the many times washed and dried AA WL on the new Anvil MS:

I've read that the Anvils shrink most length-wise, so I anticipate my Anvil MS to shrink up to being about the same exact size as the AA WL. If it shrinks at all significantly width-wise, then I think that the MS fit will fall somewhere between an AA WL and AA WM.

I could be totally wrong, of course, so take my suggestions with a very large grain of salt.

edit: I wore the shirt all day and it was actually quite comfortable! It fit and moved very close to the AA WL, indeed. I wore it with a cardigan, so the sleeves weren't an issue. I'm hoping that upon wash and air-dry, shrinkage will be minimal and I will have a size I can actually buy here.

theskettios

Thanks for the feedback, goldenthorn!

Between what you've said and what I've read in this thread... I doubt any of the new W sizes will work for me.

elanorofcastile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elanorofcastile

I am so unbelievably excited! I had resigned myself to never owning some of the awesome shirts because I refuse to buy AA clothing and now a whole new world of awesome shirts are at my fingertips.

greencs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greencs
mscrankypants wrote:Have not purchased a shirt since "the change."

Honestly, I miss buying t-shirts more than I expected. I still check the site at 1 am most nights to see the new prints and I also follow the derbies. But, just not the same. Woot shirts were a (slightly)guilty pleasure.
Am especially sad this week to see the Art Nouveau derby. Love the artsy themes and would, most likely, have picked up at least one shirt.

I agree with you. It makes me sad that I can't pick up a cool shirt every now and then since the new ones fit me like a potato sack.

inkeyling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inkeyling
cougrr wrote:Damn it.

I used to wear a WL - 17.75" width, 27" length, and it fit perfectly. Now what size would I order? The new large is going to be way too baggy, but the right length. The new medium might fit all right across my chest, even at 1.25" bigger than the old shirts, but will be too short.

But wait, you say, the extra fabric around the hips means it won't ride up, so it will seem longer than before? No, because I don't really have extra curves in my hips. So now what, I have a balloon of shirt-tail? That won't be too flattering, will it.

Man, I used to know exactly what I was getting. Now for a new higher price, it's going to be guesswork as to whether a new shirt will actually fit, and that's going to make me think twice before buying. $12 for something unreturnable that might not fit? Phooey.

I didn't mind paying an extra $2 for the AA shirts that fit perfectly, and I bet I'm not the only one.

Same thoughts, exactly. Just adding my voice to the chorus. I was in love with woot shirts because they were my favorite-fitting t-shirts ever. Now what?

shahea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shahea

I want the tree shirt! I used to buy AA WL. The mens shirts for this shirt are AA. Maybe a MS? I won't buy the Anvil...

mserafin0615

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mserafin0615

I've already spoken with the Woot Overlords, but just throwing in my two cents. I would really love to see an Extra Small size added for women with these new sizes. Unfortunately the new Small fits me like a tent so I am doomed from Shirt Woot.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
mserafin0615 wrote:I've already spoken with the Woot Overlords, but just throwing in my two cents. I would really love to see an Extra Small size added for women with these new sizes. Unfortunately the new Small fits me like a tent so I am doomed from Shirt Woot.

I'd rather have a men's XS than a women's. Even with XS, the CUT of the women's shirts still won't fit me.

sarahat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sarahat
Leahbh wrote:I'd rather have a men's XS than a women's. Even with XS, the CUT of the women's shirts still won't fit me.

This. The much-vaunted "real" or "curvy" woman the new Anvil shirts are supposed to fit is apparently severely pear-shaped. Anyone whose hips are similar in size to their chest will look like they are wearing a tent.

I haven't tried the men's small yet, since it is even bigger than the too-big women's small, but a men's XS might work.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
mserafin0615 wrote:I've already spoken with the Woot Overlords, but just throwing in my two cents. I would really love to see an Extra Small size added for women with these new sizes. Unfortunately the new Small fits me like a tent so I am doomed from Shirt Woot.

As narfcake discovered, the Anvil women's XS is offered only in black and white, so it wouldn't be a realistic possibility - and that's aside from all of the other problems with the fit of the Anvil shirts.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Leahbh

neuropsychosocial wrote:As narfcake discovered, the Anvil women's XS is offered only in black and white, so it wouldn't be a realistic possibility - and that's aside from all of the other problems with the fit of the Anvil shirts.

woot also said that anvil is doing some custom colors to match the old aa blanks, so not entirely out of the question.

kreine60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kreine60
ThunderThighs wrote:

I missed it and was also shocked by insulting use of "beanpole" to describe my rocking body - it's rude and derogatory.

I detest my new woot shirt which I am stuck with for not following woot or forums on the major sizing change, and then got offened reading about the change.

kirstenberwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirstenberwin

Did the tags also change?

The WXL shirts I've received in the past had a female silhouette and a lowercase cursive "xl" on them. This new shirt I got (unknowing that the shirt vendors, and therefore sizes, changed) has block text and just an "XL", in all caps, on it. It measures the same as the MXL shirts my husband orders. Did I truly get the wrong sized shirt or are these things that huge?

elisabethmd

kirstenberwin wrote:Did the tags also change?

The WXL shirts I've received in the past had a female silhouette and a lowercase cursive "xl" on them. This new shirt I got (unknowing that the shirt vendors, and therefore sizes, changed) has block text and just an "XL", in all caps, on it. It measures the same as the MXL shirts my husband orders. Did I truly get the wrong sized shirt or are these things that huge?

Yes, the tags changed too. The new women’s shirts will have a light blue Woot logo tag while the men’s will have a dark blue Woot logo tag.

racheling

quality posts: 2 Private Messages racheling
kirstenberwin wrote:Did the tags also change?

Yeah, unfortunately they really are that much bigger than before. The new sizing charts list the men's XL at 24" wide, the women's XL at 23"

The old WXL were 18 3/4" wide. That's a pretty huge difference. The size most comparable to the old AA WXL is the new WM (19" -- but nearly 2 inches shorter than the AA WXL).

Hope that helps. I don't have any personal experience with the women's Anvil shirts because of the photos showing the weird way they hang like a tent, bell out at the bottom, and shrink to become shorter.

elisabethmd

For comparison, here are three of my t-shirts.

The bottom one is a new Anvil tee in Women's XL. On top on that, the light grey, is an old men's L. On top on that one again, the old Women's XL. All tees have been washed on 40 degrees Celsius, and have never seen a dryer. The two tees on top have been used regularly, the bottom one has never been used, and will be given away to the Salvation Army, in the hopes that they will be able to sell it.

Leahbh

I'm 5'1" and around 100lbs and wore a wm. I am not offended by being called a beanpole.

Narfcake

quality posts: 290 Private Messages Narfcake
Leahbh wrote:woot also said that anvil is doing some custom colors to match the old aa blanks, so not entirely out of the question.

I looked a bit more into this last night, and of the current 16 colors, this is how I see the two correspond:

AA2001 vs, Anv980
Black = Black
White = White
Silver = Silver (2) (3)
Slate = Storm Gray (2) (3)
Asphalt = Smoke (2) (3)
Brown = Chocolate
Navy = Navy
Royal = Royal (2) (3)
Baby Blue = Light Blue (2)
Olive = City Green (2) (3)
Kelly = Kelly (2) (3)
Grass = Green Apple (3)
Red = Red (1) (3)
Cranberry = Independence Red (2) (3)
Lemon = Spring Yellow (3)
Creme = Natural (1) (2) (3)

1 - not a standard 980 color, but is a standard 779 color
2 - not a standard 880 color
3 - not a standard 990B color

So maybe XS is not out of the question, but such won't resolve the shorter length or the cut style.

Such does raise the question ... how well can Woot/Anvil handle a color/stock shortage? Air freight from Honduras to Texas can't be cheap!

kestrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kestrad

Forgive me if I'm not contributing anything useful, but I saw someone stating that the new women's shirts sizes were only for rubenesque, short-torso'd ladies. I don't believe I'm nearly large enough to be rubenesque, though I guess I am short, and the Anvil WS shirt fits me just fine. It looks loose, true, but it's comfortable and falls in such a way that it actually makes me look thinner because of the looseness.

I started wooting after the transition, but assuming woot used the same AA shirts as, well, all other AA stuff, AA small fits me too, though more tightly. It still looks fine. I'd be more willing to participate in impromptu physical activity in the Anvil shirt, though. Maybe I'm just lucky that both brands' smalls happen to work for me?

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
Narfcake wrote:So maybe XS is not out of the question, but such won't resolve the shorter length or the cut style.

This. An XS won't help the quality or the fact that the women's Anvil shirts have more of a men's style sleeve, boxy torso, huge hip flair, and short length.