unsweetener

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unsweetener

Adding to the chorus of people who would like v-necks! Maybe for one of the special sales? Please? Also, can they not all be cute animals/food?

bjreinhart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjreinhart

Why, why, why would you make your shirts even shorter? I'm wearing an old women's medium as I type - I already wish it was longer, and the fabric does NOT bunch around my hips. And considering how much larger the chest measurements are, I can't size up for a longer shirt. Sigh.

thesnarticus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesnarticus

Blarg.

ehelman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehelman
ochopika wrote:Oh that's exactly me. I really liked how the AA shirts were close-fitting (I actually LIKE how they fit my bewbs) and not baggy like every other "small" size. Even XS in some stores are huge, I swear. Its hard for us petite ladies to find clothes that fit well, too! I hope these shirts really do fit in a "lady-like" manner because kid's sizes don't usually have the right shape for a grown woman, even if it's a tiny woman.

Agreed! I liked the close-fitted style of the old WS. I have a very small bust and a tiny waist. But kids sizes don't work either. Arg.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob
xninjagrrl wrote:Just got my WS shirt from yesterday. The sizing is terrible. I have another green shirt that I have not washed yet and when I compare them, the Anvil shirt is about one inch shorter. The Anvil shirt is also 2-4.5 inches wider!! Up near the sleeve it is about 2 inches wider, nothing too major, might shrink down. But as you work your way down the bottom, where it bells out, it is 4.5 inches wider! So basically the new shirts are meant for short girls with abnormally wide hips. Come on woot, if a female wears a size small odds are good that she is proportional and small all over. If these shirts did not bell out, they would probably be fine.I can see adding a bit of width to the chest area but this 4.5 extra inches on the bottom are ridiculous. Oh well. I can always get 6 dollar tees of super poor quality and they shrink down to nothing.

Thanks for posting how the WS fits you! From the sizing it just seemed it would fit weird like that. A pic would be awesome!

And does anyone know if this is the 880 blank?

kepera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kepera

If the new sizes have started with all the derby shirts and the new on, then the link to the sizing chart needs to be updated. It still takes you back to the old chart, rather confusing.

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
kepera wrote:If the new sizes have started with all the derby shirts and the new on, then the link to the sizing chart needs to be updated. It still takes you back to the old chart, rather confusing.

I believe if a shirt's page shows the old chart, then it'll be an AA blank. If it shows the new chart it should be on an Anvil blank.

Hope that helps.

Harporose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Harporose

I'm encouraged about the new Women's sizing. I have been ordering Men's sizes because the largest sized for the ladies is too tight and too short. (I know, the new ones are stil short-ish.)
I am VERY discouraged that, in the article "Let's Talk ... " and in the TWO sizing charts available on the website, NONE of the actual charts are clearly labeled to indicate OLD from NEW. (The article text does give info in the paragraph.) Please either put an "eff" date (date when newer data becomes effective), a "rev" date (date revision was published), or simply "Old"/"New" to avoid confused and likely unhappy customers.

MrsBones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones

As a "beanpole" (5'8", A cup, 30-24-36) with an freakishly short torso, I guess I'm SOL. My chest is about 13" across. These new smalls will be waaaay too baggy.

It's been fun, Woot. Let me know when you start carrying something that comes close to fitting me again :[

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

ljwilke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljwilke
elankat wrote:And to the person who made the vanity sizing comment, pffft. It's not vanity sizing for a normal weight, average bmi to fit in a medium instead of an xl. AA sizing was ridiculous.

i don't know if i was the person you meant by this. my comment was.

ljwilke wrote:hey! curvy is not a euphemism for overweight. i'm both (49-40-53). i'll give yout that these new shirts seem a bit vanity sized, but the old shirts were not comparable to the same size in most stores. when buying gifts for friends i always had to buy a size larger than they told me they wore unless they were already familiar with AA.

i don't actually know enough about womens t-shirt sizes to be a good judge of 'normal' since i wear a mens 2xl. my experience boils down to the fact that when i asked my friends for shirt sizes for gifts they always told me unisex and womens sizes that were one size apart (mens s and womens m in most cases), but the AA size chart would tell me that unisex and womens were 2 sizes apart, so i figured AA ran about one size different than 'normal' womens sizes. since the difference between the AA and anvils seems to be more than a size in a lot of cases, i figured these might be a tad off in the other direction. i do wholeheartedly agree that AA sizing is ridiculous. it felt so weird to buy someone i consider pretty skinny a large.

slkygrl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slkygrl
thumperchick wrote:Extraordinary frustration here. You've finally listened to the part of your community that asked to have shirts that fit busty women. (Yay! Maybe I can fit into the XL!) While completely ignoring the part of your community that supports you because your product was 100% USA.

Now, now, I'm stuck. I would love to have a ladies cut shirt with an awesome Patricspens design on it. But I don't know that I can support your current business practices.

Woot, I bite my thumb at you.

Oh No! Where are these made? Gads- not China or The Phillipines I pray- but of course there are so many bad places...

From Edna St. Vincent Millay:
SECOND FIG
SAFE upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

Keep on Dreaming!
slkygrl

deenaveronica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deenaveronica

I just really want one question answered. These shirts aren't made in America and cost more. How does that happen? I have a $20. WOOT purchases in my monthly budget. Now I'm down to one shirt and you're out $8.00 a month from me. I'm disappointed.

Deena Veronica Falco

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
ljwilke wrote:i don't know if i was the person you meant by this. my comment was.

no, I meant the person on page one who made the snarky one liner comment with boggle eyes.

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
slkygrl wrote:Oh No! Where are these made? Gads- not China or The Phillipines I pray- but of course there are so many bad places...

They're made in Honduras.

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

mukimuki

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mukimuki
Narwhal wrote:I'm too thin to buy shirts here anymore. Great.

Also I don't appreciate being called a beanpole.

Amen, sister.

I know about the apology for the beanpole comment, but it comes the day after they say the new shirts seem to be "built for ladies". Is "beanpole" not a shape for a lady to have? Do all thin, small, but curvy women not exist? (EDIT: the "dare to have a curve or two" part) I'm not easy to offend, but they managed it this time. I forgave the "built for ladies" comment, but I can't easily forgive the two comments one right after the other.

I've always thought they should include larger women's sizes so more people could be happy, but I never thought it would be at the cost of the sizes for the smaller ladies.

shaelyn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shaelyn

ah. now that I've read more of the staff's comments, I'm somewhat encouraged.

somewhat.

I guess the next shirt I like that has a design good for a women's size, I'll attempt it. $12 isn't too painful to try once.

still incredibly disappointed by the change from American-made, and still disappointed in the fact that I had over the last year found the most awesome, plush shirt fabric...and my favorite t-shirt retailer no longer uses them.

unicornears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unicornears

Also I would like to add that although I doubt anyone in their right mind would call me a beanpole (34C, 5'4", 125lbs) the AA WS fit me flawlessly. You know how to help with the fabric bunching up around your waist? Not to sound catty, but grab the seam...the one sewn along the bottom...and TUG ON IT. The baseline of the shirt will stretch and voila! Reduced bunching!

I bought an Anvil WS shirt at a Golgol Bordello concert last year and it was far too large. It draped nicely, so larger women will enjoy the drape (no potbellies will be emphasized, don't worry!), but EVEN with a C-cup the chest was too large for me. It went to my mom who has about 10lbs on me and it fit her fine. She's 50 and enjoyed the looser fit skimming (not clinging) over her high-waisted pants.

So unfortunately for a woman in her early 20's, of an average height and weight, I will either have to buy children's, or use the woman's as a pajama shirt (and I WILL DO IT if you make more cat shirts!)

Good luck to people who try them! The shirt looks great on my mom! I just prefer to wear tighter shirts while I can!

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
unicornears wrote:

I bought an Anvil WS shirt at a Golgol Bordello concert last year and it was far too large.

Despite how disheartening your post was, I would just like to comment on how awesome it is that you like Golgol Bordello. Most people don't even know who that is....

unicornears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unicornears
morgankohl wrote:Despite how disheartening your post was, I would just like to comment on how awesome it is that you like Golgol Bordello. Most people don't even know who that is....

Thanks! =D My mom gets LOTS of complements xD

wesmike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wesmike

Add me to the list of dissatisfied with the change. My wife fit perfectly in the previous tees. Fit great in the chest (A+ great) and was long enough. Sure maybe a bit tight around the sides, but nothing uncomfortable. Now they will be like every other "women's" t-shirt that fits like a mans up top and shows the belly every time the arm to body angle gets more than 30 degrees.

MrsBones

mukimuki wrote:
I've always thought they should include larger women's sizes so more people could be happy, but I never thought it would be at the cost of the sizes for the smaller ladies.

This.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

I'm 5'3"/135 and the AA mediums shirts fit well across the stomach, a tad tight on the shoulders and way too tight across the chest. But of course I was always too stubborn to get a large. Strangely though, I find them just barely long enough (I do wear my jeans as low cut as possible).

I'm happy about these shirts being wider at the chest, but as I am now a small, I think they should offer XS. Plenty of women are smaller than me, even considering I wear my shirts pretty tight.

thumperchick

quality posts: 248 Private Messages thumperchick
missmissa07 wrote:I am more offended by how some of the skinnier girls responded to your comment, implying that anyone who previously couldn't fit into the women's sizing is overweight. Granted, there were only like 2 or so people who implied this, but come on guys, curvy does not automatically mean overweight.

Then there are girls like me - I am overweight, but carry it all in my chest and hips. If I'm an XL, so be it! That's the cost of the cupcakes and starches. But allow me to wear a shirt that flows with my body shape instead of a boxy men's cut just to fit my chest and hips!
Even at my thinnest - I have a curvy build. Curvy - not fat, just curvy in bust/hip region. The fact that I am now fat doesn't change my build, only the size I wear.
Insinuating that women built with more curves are all fat is just as insulting as insinuating that women with a petite build or small bust don't have a womanly figure. They do - they are women, that is their figure.
Now... back to the issue of getting some length and adding an XS &/or 2XL sizes to accommodate as many lady-wooters as possible...

jward809

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jward809

I still have a problem with the fact that you think everybody is an XL for women. Any time I want to order a shirt in a nicer color than black or grey, and if I want it in a 2x or 3x, I HAVE to look like a guy in those bleaker colors as well... Please re-consider your sizing for women who sport larger than life bods as well Woot! I live on your website and I think my kid has 25 of your shirts!!!

VenusAD

quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD
thumperchick wrote:Then there are girls like me - I am overweight, but carry it all in my chest and hips. If I'm an XL, so be it! That's the cost of the cupcakes and starches. But allow me to wear a shirt that flows with my body shape instead of a boxy men's cut just to fit my chest and hips!
Even at my thinnest - I have a curvy build. Curvy - not fat, just curvy in bust/hip region. The fact that I am now fat doesn't change my build, only the size I wear.
Insinuating that women built with more curves are all fat is just as insulting as insinuating that women with a petite build or small bust don't have a womanly figure. They do - they are women, that is their figure.
Now... back to the issue of getting some length and adding an XS &/or 2XL sizes to accommodate as many lady-wooters as possible...

I agree with a lot of this. So much insult going around!

I think a lot of the issue is that "curvy" women (ie: those of us who are endowed with a bit or a lot extra in the hips/butt/breasts (whether one of those or more), may be able to FIT into the smaller sizes...I know I can, with a DD and size 4 waist (I feel wierd mentioning this in ever size discussion, but the best way I can describe it o.0...and hopefully no one is keeping track of all ladies' physical descriptionis in each post here..)

Where was I? Oooh yeah, anyway, they may be able to *fit* into the shirts, but I know a lot of women just don't like wearing shirts that are that tight. You also have to account for shoulder width/arm width, which really doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight. I love my WOOT! shirts (women's medium), but I don't wear them if I'm going to be doing housework or strenuous work or something, because they're fitted tight and not comfortable for such things.

My worry is that to get the fit I find attractive, I'm going to have to go down to the small..but the small may not accomodate my arms/shoulders comfortably, like many smallers are wont to do.

Buuut, as long as they're stretchy like the AA brand, they shouldn't be all tight and constricting like other shirts from other companies have been - shirts I end up never wearing.

Another concern I have is about those ridiculous awesome pullover hoodies. They're like the softest thing I have ever worn and have become my favorite. Will they change along with the normal shirts? And if so, are they just as soft?

Also, I'm in for the v neck option and can a sister get some freakin' spaghetti strap tanktops 'round here? ...Because that would be awesome.

nfilmfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nfilmfan

...I am sure this has already come up, but any possibility for ladies on both ends, XS as well as XXL?

cougrr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cougrr
morgankohl wrote:Despite how disheartening your post was, I would just like to comment on how awesome it is that you like Golgol Bordello. Most people don't even know who that is....

Woo for gypsy punk!

I saw Gogol Bordello live about eleven years ago, in a tiny basement club in NYC. What an awesome show that was.

thumperchick

VenusAD wrote:
Another concern I have is about those ridiculous awesome pullover hoodies. They're like the softest thing I have ever worn and have become my favorite. Will they change along with the normal shirts? And if so, are they just as soft?

The hoodies are not an AA product. They will not be changed (at least not right now). The long sleeve shirts, hoodies, zippy hoodies, aprons, posters - those all stay the same.

VenusAD

quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD
thumperchick wrote:The hoodies are not an AA product. They will not be changed (at least not right now). The long sleeve shirts, hoodies, zippy hoodies, aprons, posters - those all stay the same.

I just read this in the other blog post I completely missed about changing companies, but thank you for taking the time to answer!

Also...I realized all my other questions had been addressed too, so no one bother with that ^^;

Another note here...we should try to take a little care when discussing sizes (particularly women's sizes). I am seeing a lot of generalization about women's body types and we all know that women come in ALL different shapes and sizes. For example, a woman who is pear shaped (bigger on the bottom than the top) is fully capable of wearing a small, but typically prefers a shirt that bells out a bit on the bottom around the hips (or is cut higher to not hit the hips). No company accomodates all women unless you're going into super expensive high fashion where the sizes are measurements--not arbitrary generaled numbers and letters.

That all being said, requests for XS are very reasonable, especialy seeing as Western world sizes do not take into consideration the diversity of the American population. (god, that sounds so scholarly. sorry for that -.-)

As to the "buy American only" thing...dude, Hondurans gotta eat too. As long as the workers are treated better (which could also explain the fact that it isn't dirt cheap--you want cheap, go with a country that treats their workers like crap and pays them barely anything), I am okay with that.

But do we seriously have to get into an ethical discussion about this? American Apparel may treat their garment workers well and be kind to the environment, but google them and "ethics", cause I won't get into the nitty gritty here. Suffice to say, just because a company is American does not mean that it doesn't have some serious issues behind closed doors.

MrsBones

shirt.woot blog wrote:As you can see, the new shirts offer a little more room for people who are not beanpoles and might dare to have a curve or two

shirt.woot blog wrote:...you'll notice some changes that hopefully will make the shirts seem more, y'know, built for ladies.

So, on top, of taking away my shirt size, Woot's implying that I'm built like a prepubescent boy?

Gee Woot, you really know how to make a lady* feel special :[

*prepubescent boy

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

You know, if you take personally everything written on the internet as a personal attack on your body, beliefs, opinions, abilities, house keeping, cooking, car choice, sock choice, painting skills, singing skills...Come on!

Woot writes in a manner that ranges trippy light hearted to scathingly sarcastic. Don't take it personally. Stop deciding that they are criticising you.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
Mavyn wrote:You know, if you take personally everything written on the internet as a personal attack on your body, beliefs, opinions, abilities, house keeping, cooking, car choice, sock choice, painting skills, singing skills...Come on!

Woot writes in a manner that ranges trippy light hearted to scathingly sarcastic. Don't take it personally. Stop deciding that they are criticising you.

THANK YOU! I second the "don't take things personally" I thought the write up was funny like the author was obviously trying to be.

thumperchick

Hey ladies! Someone awesome at woot sent me some tester shirts - new Anvil blanks. I'm guessing it was ProfHotpants*, THANK YOU!
*It was Barbara Rutledge, shirt.woot director. A big thank you to her! And still thanks to PHP - if you aren't the same person - for working so hard on this.

I was sent a grass green new Ladie's XL and a new Men's L to compare. I prefer a tighter fit to my tees than a lot of people. Not painted on by any means, but formed fit or mimics the "baby tee" lines. I also layer up to 3 layers in winter, so I prefer room for that.

*I am comparing brand new, unwashed Anvil tees to well worn and well loved AA tees*

We'll start with my measurements range (measurements I've been in the past 6 months).
I'm 5'9" - bust is 40-42D and broad shoulders.
44 35 49 to 48 38 54. Shirt size range 14-18, pants 18-22.
The Good:
-I like the fit on the new Anvil Ladie's blanks. They don't want to ride up my hips and sit at my waistline. That's a great plus.
-My bust isn't stressing the fabric.
-The fabric is slightly stiffer than AA, but I think my softener habit will fix that. It is NOT itchy, short, or boxy.
-The side seams seem (ha!) to stay where I want them, the men's shirt doesn't have side seams.
-If you are coming into the ladie's sizes from the men's, you shouldn't have an issue with length. I don't know about length for everyone else, sorry!

The Bad:
-Not made in the USA. If that doesn't matter to you, ignore my previous statement.
-The sleeves are longer than the old AA women's sleeves. Some will like this, I find it strange and a little uncomfortable. But if you prefer a real t-shirt length on your sleeves, you will be very pleased.
-The sleeves are tighter on the Anvil WXL than either of the men's sizes. If you have problems with cap sleeves, you may want to measure before you purchase! My bicep is 15" flexed and I'm perfectly comfortable with more than enough room. I think it would be comfortable for several more inches in circumference.

-The shoulders are pretty wide. From shoulder to shoulder I'm 17-18" easily. The shoulders on this shirt do that little "batwing" thing on me. So if you have a smaller frame, It will be more pronounced.

Shirt ON Shirt comparison!
The new women's XL is larger than my old Men's L! Here's a photo of an AA WXL, on top of an AA ML, on top of a new Anvil WXL.

Says a lot, doesn't it? I'm sure we'll lose a bit of that extra on the Anvil with the first few washes. (I do use my dryer on my woot shirts.)

Now, here is just an AA WXL on the Anvil WXL:

*Granted comparing a baby blue to a grass green may have some inconsistencies lighter colors tended to run smaller in AA.

And, for those curious of the new Men's L vs the old:

If anyone has any questions - hit me up!

I'll be throwing both of these testers in the laundry today/tomorrow and treating them the exact way I treat my AA's (cold water, fabric softener, and medium heat) and will add an update to see how they did.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
thumperchick wrote:a good review

That last picture says it all. The difference between shirts size for size is ridiculous large. My wife previously wore a WL, but may have to move to a WS or possibly one of the kid sizes. (speaking of, are the kid's blanks staying the same? I didn't look through this thread for that)

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Great pics. Sounds like I'm built close to the same as you, though taller and wider across the shoulders. I don't know what all I got, so will be interesting to see.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

thumperchick

thumperchick wrote:Hey ladies! Someone awesome at woot sent me some tester shirts - new Anvil blanks. I'm guessing it was ProfHotpants*, THANK YOU!

*It was Barbara Rutledge, shirt.woot director. A big thank you to her! And still thanks to PHP - if you aren't the same person - for working so hard on this.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 131 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

thumperchick wrote:*It was Barbara Rutledge, shirt.woot director. A big thank you to her! And still thanks to PHP - if you aren't the same person - for working so hard on this.

She's the same person! And thank you so much for your review. Excellent photos and testing, I'm interested to see how they hold up in the wash!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
thumperchick wrote:*It was Barbara Rutledge, shirt.woot director. A big thank you to her! And still thanks to PHP - if you aren't the same person - for working so hard on this.

Thank YOU for putting this together with a bunch of pictures!

I'm just hanging out, really.

chellemonkey

YAY Thumperchick!! Thanks for posting pictures!! I know I'm going to be happy with the women's size now. I still feel bad about the smaller ladies and would looooove it if woot considered adding a MXS for those who like the straight fit and size of the current ladies small!!

chellemonkey

Thumperchick, do you happen to have any MXL lying around you could compare it to? (although I have lost about 20lbs the past couple months and am still losing so it probably won't matter soon) because I usually buy MXL of AA tees