+ Add a Comment

Yourkiddingright

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yourkiddingright
lyonscc wrote:Sorry you don't like the jokes (which I did come up with, along w/ the concept), and yes, I did use a clipped medallion (which I altered in another derby, as well) that is free for commercial use (from a standard bundle w/ Illustrator).

My understanding of the policy of clip art usage is that it can't be the only graphic involved, and it should be integrated into the work, as a whole. I only had a couple of hours available for this week's derby work, so I had to go fast, instead of starting everything from scratch. I can point you to a number of winning entries from the past few months that integrated royalty-free, commercially available graphics into them.

Yes, I normally like to create my own, but real life sometimes gets into the way between noon Thursday and Friday and I integrate "clip art".

Sorry.

[Edit: I can see at least one, if not two, other shirts in the fog with royalty-free art in them, as well. Technically, I'm guessing most of the text you see in this Derby (and other text-related derbies) is also of the "art you didn't draw" variety. I do try to be careful to use fonts that are "royalty free" for commercial use.

Most artists reuse elements - their own and ones they got from other sources (hopefully royalty-free sources, or with permission of the artists) - and it takes awhile to build up your own library of elements. If you submit "daily" shirts to shirt.woot, they ask you for links to any commercial art or photos you've used directly or indirectly. It's not verboten, they just ask to check your sources.

Again, I'm not trying to "fool" anyone, anymore that the other artists here than occasionally use royalty-free elements. My apologies if you thought I was.

First off no Woot has not printed any in the 6 months or more with stock art (go check on shirtwhat.com)

Second, no, clipart is not allowed and just because something is royalty free does not mean its free to use in a commercial application. You still need to purcahse the rights from the rights holder, be that Adobe or someone else.

Third, Im sorry you didn't have tome to put any effort into your piece, but there's tons of artists who SACRIFICED TIME AND EFFORT to put together REAL ART and it's a slap on the face to all of them to have a knockoff like this in the fog.

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
Re: From Sea to Sky

this needs to be in the fog.
ppl vote!

umi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages umi
Re: Got Pirate?

POP CULTURE (and an extremely tired concept, to be quite frank).

lisonallie

Re: Pirate!

I like the blood on the swords as a touch

lisonallie

Re: Not Just for the Injured

I want this as a shirt I hope more people see it. Or if it prints elsewhere, please let me know

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
Re: No Quarter Given

Nice

Should be on red though...

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Pirate Toast - Arrr!
omarfeliciano wrote:Your designs always make me happy!

So nice to hear that, thanks omarfeliciano!

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
Yourkiddingright wrote:First off no Woot has not printed any in the 6 months or more with stock art (go check on shirtwhat.com)

I count four from the past month, and several more from the dailies.

Yourkiddingright wrote:Second, no, clipart is not allowed and just because something is royalty free does not mean its free to use in a commercial application. You still need to purcahse the rights from the rights holder, be that Adobe or someone else.

I understand how rights work, and the various flavors (what is allowed and what is not), but this didn't seem the place to put it all out in longhand. I've been a musician for 30+ years now, and started learning about copyright law years ago. I've been known to be rather brutal in complying w/ music copyright laws w/ friends & family.

Yourkiddingright wrote:Third, Im sorry you didn't have tome to put any effort into your piece, but there's tons of artists who SACRAFICED TIME AND EFFORT to put together REAL ART and it's a slap on the face to all of them to have a knockoff like this in the fog.

I notice you've not published anything here, so I'll let the other artists here complain to me. I have a great amount of respect for all of them, and I've had a lot of rejections along the way (as have they), learning the shirt.woot ropes.

Regardless, I just do this for fun, and I was actually surprised this one was in the fog.

This week, I wasn't even going to enter anything, but I had an idea late last night that made me laugh, and decided to put something together to make other folks laugh, as well.

I'm sorry this has caused you irritation.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
shikausstan wrote:Olive just isn't too popular... But I like this one!

It's all good, I like olive and brown myself.

noblehappenstance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noblehappenstance
Re: Not So Jolly

It can't be about plundering all of the time...

Rake This![/url]

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
taternuggets wrote:The way I approach these derbies is if we can make somebody chuckle, they are more likely to forgive our shortcomings as artists. We are never going to out-draw some of the great artists around here, but perhaps we can try to out-idea them. I always try and think of an alternate way to approach the derbies because going straight in the front door, we get pummeled.

Thanks for all the great comments and for keeping us up in the fog this long...it's quite a thrill.

whilst I appreciate the idea behind, I do think it is off theme, or at the very least lacking in execution. apart from a title, it has nothing to do with pirates. throw in a wooden peg leg, curvy sword, etc, something that signifies to random, Joe on the street what it's about. Plus would be possible to make it more visually interesting. I'd like to see a resubmit, but well, I understand you thinking why would u now. still risk rejection or be pre-emptive, tough choice. good luck!

mightyrain

bpeterson82 wrote:WOW, chill out dude.

Yeah, I probably should.
I just have never been accused of using somebody else's artwork, so it struck me off guard. Sorry bro.

And is that a cassette tape on that one? I wish I had seen that one, before I made my design, lol I totally would have nabbed the cassette tape idea, would have been perfect for my design.

mightyrain

dreweyes wrote:Thanks for the votes! ♥

I think this design is suffering from being oversized on the shirt. a smaller version would look better I think.

mightyrain

fourlane77 wrote:..totally wanted to do a scene of this pirate digging a hole, with two others carrying loot...and a caption that read, "quick, lads...put it in me booty hole!"...

but, yeah...lol

I say go for the booty hole design! lol

Yourkiddingright

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yourkiddingright
lyonscc wrote:I count four from the past month, and several more from the dailies.

Please point out which ones as I guess I'm blind.

lyonscc wrote:
I understand how rights work, and the various flavors (what is allowed and what is not), but this didn't seem the place to put it all out in longhand. I've been a musician for 30+ years now, and started learning about copyright law years ago. I've been known to be rather brutal in complying w/ music copyright laws w/ friends & family.

By your comments and blatant misuse you've shown that no you don't know.

lyonscc wrote:
I notice you've not published anything here, so I'll let the other artists here complain to me. I have a great amount of respect for all of them, and I've had a lot of rejections along the way (as have they), learning the shirt.woot ropes.

Wow that's assuming quite a lot (have you heard of alts?) but then it appears your proficient at assuming things. If you don't think this doesn't piss off other "published artists" why don't you ask them. I gaurantee most aren't happy with this practice.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
dreadwood wrote:Rofl. I got a good laugh, but I don't think it will make it past the rejectionator. Also Woot doesn't allow prints on the back... usually. Funny though (:

yeah, i wasn't really sure if it would be rejected or not, but i thought i might give it a go anyway..

glad you laughed though!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor
Re: The Rusty Hook

"I notice you've not published anything here, so I'll let the other artists here complain to me. I have a great amount of respect for all of them, and I've had a lot of rejections along the way (as have they), learning the shirt.woot ropes. "

That is hugely condescending. Because someone doesn't submit art their opinion doesn't count? I would think that anyone who is a potential vote should count.. because it's not simply other derby submitters that are looking at your work here.
That being said...

I like the design, I think that while it's text heavy the clipart is used well. I'm not sure I'm fond of the usage of clipart as the main image focal point, but at least it does have more of a graphical element use than a lot of the other clipart seen in this particular derby. Time constraints are understandable, to a degree. The derby only opened today, there's plenty of time to get a design in and perhaps if you'd waited just a bit longer and put a little bit more of your own talent into it then it would have had a warmer reception?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Crow's Nest

Thanks for the votes n' stuff, guys!

It's nice to make something a little different even if it doesn't click with enough people. The muted palette doesn't leap out and grab your eyes on the monitor like a lot of the colorful designs I tend to draw, but I think on an actual tee it would be good and wearable.

@MissKari, Japanese crows say 'Aho?', wow that's cool - I mean, YES, yes I was making a clever reference to that thing you just said. ;)

lemontree2099

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemontree2099

it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!

Spiritgreen

Re: X marks the spot

Great design, Naolito! I hope this is its time. GMV.

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86
Re: The PiRAT

Hahahahhahaha! I want it.

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
aleafloor wrote:"I notice you've not published anything here, so I'll let the other artists here complain to me. I have a great amount of respect for all of them, and I've had a lot of rejections along the way (as have they), learning the shirt.woot ropes. "

That is hugely condescending. Because someone doesn't submit art their opinion doesn't count? I would think that anyone who is a potential vote should count.. because it's not simply other derby submitters that are looking at your work here.

I didn't intend it to be. I was just responding to someone who was obviously upset that I was somehow 'dissing' the artists here, when he/she doesn't appear to be one. I really couldn't care less if people use stock art in their work here.

If Ramy or Tater, etc. had said the same thing to me, though, I would take it much more seriously, because they are frequent submitters who know the ropes better than I do.

aleafloor wrote:
That being said...

I like the design, I think that while it's text heavy the clipart is used well. I'm not sure I'm fond of the usage of clipart as the main image focal point, but at least it does have more of a graphical element use than a lot of the other clipart seen in this particular derby. Time constraints are understandable, to a degree. The derby only opened today, there's plenty of time to get a design in and perhaps if you'd waited just a bit longer and put a little bit more of your own talent into it then it would have had a warmer reception?

I'd thought of that, as well, but I'm tied up, time-wise, from this point till Monday morning, with only a mobile device on me. I wanted to get this in, just because I wanted to have some fun (like most of the submitters here), not because I'm trying to be cutthroat.

Thank you for your suggestions, though. I do appreciate it, and I did not intend to sound condescending to YKR...

Yourkiddingright wrote:Wow that's assuming quite a lot (have you heard of alts?) but then it appears your proficient at assuming things. If you don't think this doesn't piss off other "published artists" why don't you ask them. I gaurantee most aren't happy with this practice.

I didn't think alts were allowed.

Well, if you're an artist here, you can PM me, and I'm more than happy to discuss this with you. I'm sorry I upset you.

Spiritgreen

Re: ARRR!

Really fun. I love the ship in a bottle and your different pirate characters. ^__^

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: From Sea to Sky

this is really really well done

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: The Crow's Nest

Really nice, love the colors! +1

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: ARRR!

Too bad the thumbnail doesn't show the pirates are spelling Arrr!

djenkins1982

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djenkins1982
Re: Got Pirate?

Nicely done but seems pop culture to me as well.

collegechic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages collegechic

I love the illustration, and the way you interpreted the theme - very original! I think I would like it better without the text, though I know people really wouldn't understand what it meant. GMV

nessa204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
Re: Shiver me Timbers!

I've been waiting for something like this.
've got a couple of kids' sizes in mind!
Super cute >_<

djenkins1982

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djenkins1982

Mer-cats are okay in my book.

nessa204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
Re: Not So Jolly

I really like the visual effect of the text. Kinda bothers me when I actually read it, though. I wish the phrases were a bit more intelligible.
GMV in any case!

jerradlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerradlee

Great concept and execution!

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
damask16 wrote:I wonder if the stereogram will still work when it prints, though.

That's my question. Anyone have personal experience with stereograms on shirts? It seems like the focus issues are tricky enough on a perfectly flat surface...

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
roysterer wrote:Nice

Should be on red though...

I didn't use red for a couple of reasons. First, red isn't that popular, so I thought I'd use a color that would give me a better chance, while still being "piratey". Second, the No Quarter flag was just plain red, so this isn't really trying to be a flag, just a goofy pun on a tshirt.

Thanks everybody, for all of the nice comments so far.

jerradlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerradlee

+1 from Arrrrrrrrrrkansas!

tater1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tater1965
Re: I love this and hope that it comes to print!!Some Translation Required

lisonallie

Re: Scurvy Free

I thought wow <33
there's too many great shirts in this derby

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Useful Treasure

AKA the Pirate's Footy.

Weredawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Weredawg

I love this but I swear I have seen this before but just can't recall where.

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
odysseyroc wrote:I didn't use red for a couple of reasons. First, red isn't that popular, so I thought I'd use a color that would give me a better chance, while still being "piratey". Second, the No Quarter flag was just plain red, so this isn't really trying to be a flag, just a goofy pun on a tshirt.

Thanks everybody, for all of the nice comments so far.

Good points. I am probably the only one who would like it better on red...not that I won't buy it on black ;)