rogue8402


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
Re: Pirate Letter



Is that an eye patch in your signature? :D

wersns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wersns

jinxxnij


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinxxnij
Re: No Quarter Given



I love your design. It is a great play on words and is not too busy like some of the other designs and you could actually wear it.

"Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyways"

wersns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wersns

nessa204


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
odysseyroc wrote:sometimes it comes down to the preview image. I don't think the preview image does this design justice. I probably would have helped to show that something whimsical was going on here.



Thanks for the advice!!! I'm still pretty new to the whole halftones and presentation game, so I really appreciate it

krissalus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krissalus
Re: Ka-BOOOM!!



I'm loving your cartoon style here. Shame this doesn't have more votes, but it definitely has mine!

----
Tweet.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: The Rusty Hook



I'm not a fan of using clip art or vectors. I really wish you did take the time to draw this design and intergrated the elements more. All the elements seem floating not really providing a cohesive dynamic for the design, IMO.

As to artist's opinions on the use of clip art and vectors, you may not get their opinion on that point or on your design or others. "Why?", you may ask. As with other public arenas woot is no different when it comes to social politics. Most artists don't want to come off as jerks, calling an artist out on being lazy or stealing. They feel that they will lose a vote here and there and the public may turn against them. They want to save face and still appear to the public happy happy sunshine. But as an artist that interacts with other artists, I can tell you a majority of them don't like the use of clip art and vectors and they feel it is lazy.

This design could have been so much more if you took the extra time to pull it all together. I hope you can respect that I took the time to comment out of respect for you as an artist, because I know you can do so much better than this.

jinxxnij


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinxxnij
Re: Useful Treasure



Very funny.

"Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyways"

stonedsavant


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stonedsavant
Re: Digital Piracy



Absolutely stunning. Only way it could possibly be improved is with the aforementioned glow in the dark ink in either that current light blue or a green.

Hope I get a chance to buy it!

dreweyes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreweyes
meedox wrote:I love how graphic and clean this design is. Beautiful!



Thanks!!

nessa204


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204

Now without text!!!

Re: Instant Night Vision (Resub)



It's speculated that eye-patches weren't just for the injured-- they were possibly used to preserve night vision!
Switching the patch from one eye to the other when going from a sunlit deck to the dark underbelly of a ship (or a well-lit cabin to the darkness of night) would have provided instant nightvision... albeit at the expense of depth perception.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: X marks the spot



I have to ask because this has never been clear to me and I know Threadless is okay with this practice but is a design which has been sold as a shirt design or being considered as in this derby okay to be sold as a print on other sites? Like Society 6

And was this design previously for sale there as well? I ask because like someone else mentioned and referred to seeing this design previously I thought the same that I had seen this design before selling on S6.

But again Threadless is okay with posting and selling prints of their design by the artist on S6 just wasn't sure what Woot's take on this as well.

nessa204


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
lisonallie wrote:I want this as a shirt I hope more people see it. Or if it prints elsewhere, please let me know



Will do, though I don't even know where else I would go to get it printed. I'll look into it!

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Some Translation Required



Thanks for the support and the critique! An artist certainly needs both to stay motivated and to improve. I chose to draw basic graphics for this shirt because I was going for a simple design. Having spent hours and sometimes days working on more complicated drawings that don't connect with the audience, I just wanted to keep this design uncomplicated. I'm happy people are enjoying it!



fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: No Quarter Given



This design is smart, clever and well designed. Vote it back into the fog!



chachachino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
Re: Thar She Blows



haha that's cute! more like 'nar she blows'

Naolito


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
midgerock wrote:...



In my case, I always disable the sale of a print when I submit it to the derby or is picked as a daily (fixed the ghost writer one, thanks for the notice).
Talking about being for sale before it goes on woot, I've never hidden to woot the fact they are on s6, even I think I've used some links to s6 in designs submissions, and they never told me nothing about it, so I always assumed that there was no problem with it...

chachachino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
cpresti wrote:Cool, but I think the deck and the water are both a little weird. Maybe it's just me.



i really like the use of photoreal textures here too. but i think it's weird the water doesn't go all the way across to the left side of the shirt. regardless, gmv.

chachachino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
Re: abandon ship



thanks! i aim to please.

thumperchick


quality posts: 240 Private Messages thumperchick

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Pirate Toast - Arrr!

Thanks for liking pirate toast everyone!:D ARRR!

Vote!


diskeater


quality posts: 0 Private Messages diskeater
Re: Puppy Space Pirates



This shirt made me believe in magic again.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Naolito wrote:In my case, I always disable the sale of a print when I submit it to the derby or is picked as a daily (fixed the ghost writer one, thanks for the notice).
Talking about being for sale before it goes on woot, I've never hidden to woot the fact they are on s6, even I think I've used some links to s6 in designs submissions, and they never told me nothing about it, so I always assumed that there was no problem with it...



Let me be clear, I dig the design first and for most. But the terms and conditions and from what I've heard previously from other artists is that the design can not be sold anywhere else in any form previously to be considered at woot. So if one copy of the design sold as a print or on shirt elsewhere it would be considered disqualified. I had discussed this 2 weeks ago with the cat derby when I was considering entering a design I just created and placed on redbubble for sale and was advised because it was sold that it could not be entered in the derby and disqualified from competing.

The T&C kind makes it clear how woot has exclusive rights to the design in any form including the Ghost Writer design.

"7. Grant Of Rights. Artist grants Woot the exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide, right and license to use, reproduce, print, publish, publicly display, transmit, market, sell, distribute, and sublicense the Artwork in all forms and media now known or hereafter developed. Woot may make or authorize non-substantive changes to the Artwork to prepare it for production use.

8. Non-competition. Artist shall not use the Artwork in any manner with the sole exception that Artist may display or incorporate the Artwork in a personal portfolio or collection for promotional purposes related to Artist’s work."

But maybe woot can chime in to clarify this point further and not leave it up speculation.

AlexIAm


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm
Re: X Marks Spot.



literally lol'd

>insert funny quote here<

Naolito


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
midgerock wrote:...



Not sure if my english is failing but I don't see there any reference to the design not being sold before woot get the rights.
It's totally clear about selling them after the momment they get the rights though, so we think the same about this. As I said, ghostwriter case was an obvlion that I fixed thanks to your message(It didn't even ever sell anything).
But, probably for my bad english, I still no see any reference to not being sold before woot get the rights. Could you quote the exact part when it says something about this?
But obviously, if it says it, it's a clear reason of reject.

maximus08


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maximus08
Naolito wrote:Not sure if my english is failing but I don't see there any reference to the design not being sold before woot get the rights.
It's totally clear about selling them after the momment they get the rights though, so we think the same about this. As I said, ghostwriter case was an obvlion that I fixed thanks to your message(It didn't even ever sell anything).
But, probably for my bad english, I still no see any reference to not being sold before woot get the rights. Could you quote the exact part when it says something about this?
But obviously, if it says it, it's a clear reason of reject.



This is in the FAQ regarding the derby:

"We determine that design is not exclusive to Woot - i.e., the designer (or a designate) has previously produced and distributed this design, or one substantially similar;"

I don't mean to stir this up though, as I like the shirt. Just thought that would help clarify the situation.

perdita00


quality posts: 0 Private Messages perdita00
Re: Finders, Keepers



Love this Cute idea.

perdita00


quality posts: 0 Private Messages perdita00
Re: Instant Night Vision (Resub)



Much better without the text Beautiful design.

sodalite


quality posts: 11 Private Messages sodalite
emanueu wrote:Damn, someone had the same my idea. D: Why I'm so slow? Had this concept for the fish out of water derby and didn't had the time to finish.

Can't do my version anymore, can I?



pretty sure they're still taking entries :p
do you see how many 3.14 and rat references there are????
go for it!

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: All Sails Ahead!



Worth the wait. I really don't know what to say. Beautiful.

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
midgerock wrote:He looks a bit like Jack Sparrow which for a no pop culture ruled derby is a bit much.



In my opinion it would be hard to draw a non-silly pirate that doesn't look like Jack Sparrow. He's kind of a stereotypical pirate.

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Some Translation Required



I'm among those surprised to see this in the fog. The humour isn't particularly innovative or clever, and the graphics feel more like a tacked on afterthought. I get more of a "cheesy tourist tat" feel from this than anything ...

Naolito


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
maximus08 wrote:...



I guess it's out of the derby then... It's a pitty but woot reaction to this situation will be a permanent aclaration of what can be do at what can't. However, I think that your quote should appear on the contract instead of the faq though...

Whatever happens, thanks for your votes and help

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: ARRR!



Thanks guys!

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Sorry Polly!



thanks guys!

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 114 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
midgerock wrote:Let me be clear, I dig the design first and for most. But the terms and conditions and from what I've heard previously from other artists is that the design can not be sold anywhere else in any form previously to be considered at woot. So if one copy of the design sold as a print or on shirt elsewhere it would be considered disqualified. I had discussed this 2 weeks ago with the cat derby when I was considering entering a design I just created and placed on redbubble for sale and was advised because it was sold that it could not be entered in the derby and disqualified from competing.

The T&C kind makes it clear how woot has exclusive rights to the design in any form including the Ghost Writer design.

"7. Grant Of Rights. Artist grants Woot the exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide, right and license to use, reproduce, print, publish, publicly display, transmit, market, sell, distribute, and sublicense the Artwork in all forms and media now known or hereafter developed. Woot may make or authorize non-substantive changes to the Artwork to prepare it for production use.

8. Non-competition. Artist shall not use the Artwork in any manner with the sole exception that Artist may display or incorporate the Artwork in a personal portfolio or collection for promotional purposes related to Artist’s work."

But maybe woot can chime in to clarify this point further and not leave it up speculation.



Those contract clauses are not retroactive into the past. They also don't go into effect until after the contract is signed or for the derby they go into effect after the design is entered and continue only if the design is picked by the voters/editors. So they won't effect earlier sales of the design in any form... the wording would be different if woot wanted that.

But honestly woot doesn't need a contract clause to reject for this. However the only thing I've seen woot care about is designs previously sold as shirts, especially if the design is featured on one of the other shirt-a-day sites. They stopped selling one shirt because it had been featured on Teefury in a slightly different form. They don't seem to mind print sales as I've seen quite a few designs that were sold as prints before being picked as dailies.

The derby could be different, so yeah it would be nice to get some woot staff clarification.

bpeterson82


quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
Re: All Sails Ahead!



Can I order this on a canvas for my wall? Seriously!!!!!

dijay


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: X Marks Spot.



Sooo cute!!!

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 114 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
maximus08 wrote:This is in the FAQ regarding the derby:

"We determine that design is not exclusive to Woot - i.e., the designer (or a designate) has previously produced and distributed this design, or one substantially similar;"

I don't mean to stir this up though, as I like the shirt. Just thought that would help clarify the situation.



Ah now that's the type of wording I was looking for. This is more clear. It'll be interesting to see what woot does since the rectionator can be a bit odd at time.

Still good to know where this is in FAQ. Thanks maximus08.

aerc712


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
midgerock wrote:I had discussed this 2 weeks ago with the cat derby when I was considering entering a design I just created and placed on redbubble for sale and was advised because it was sold that it could not be entered in the derby and disqualified from competing.



I'll admit I'm pretty new to all of this, but reading the latest posts in this thread, it almost seems like midgrerock is upset about their design not being used and naolito's great design might suffer (be disqualified).

Naolito, I and clearly many others love your design and I really hope that it is able to make it through the shenanigans.