KAZVorpal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KAZVorpal
taternuggets wrote:Looks ok to me. If the people who are telling you this haven't purchased anything from woot, those links are not visible.

Crap, so you not only have to log in, but you must have bought something, previously? They give you the link for you to send your friends and relatives to get votes, but they don't mention that those friends and relatives, who surely are not kewl enough to have ever used woot, cannot vote.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

KAZVorpal wrote:Crap, so you not only have to log in, but you must have bought something, previously? They give you the link for you to send your friends and relatives to get votes, but they don't mention that those friends and relatives, who surely are not kewl enough to have ever used woot, cannot vote.

From the shirt.woot FAQ:

Who can vote in the Derby?
Woot users who have previously made at least one purchase at any Woot site. See, we don't want people to create multiple accounts and stuff the ballot box. And we also want to make sure the winning designs are actually ones that our regular users would like to see. This restriction might seem anti-democratic, but voter fraud and prank voting are worse. And like we said - all you need to vote is one purchase on your account record, ever, at any Woot site. Even Bags O' Crap and LeakFrogs qualify

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
KAZVorpal wrote:Crap, so you not only have to log in, but you must have bought something, previously? They give you the link for you to send your friends and relatives to get votes, but they don't mention that those friends and relatives, who surely are not kewl enough to have ever used woot, cannot vote.

Yeah, they have to have purchased something from any of the woot sites. This is to help prevent people from creating fake "voting" accounts.

Nothing follows.

Jussslic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic
Re: All Sails Ahead!

Since this design is stirring the pot a bit I'll add my own opinion... it's an OK digital painting.

Really good compared to what Woot often sees, but have you guys ever been to Conceptart.org?

Haha, if some of the artists over at CA were aware they could make a thousand dollars a week I bet we'd see more badass paintings in the fog...

kcastle411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcastle411
Re: Lady Pirates

Wow! niiiice

KAZVorpal

taternuggets wrote:Yeah, they have to have purchased something from any of the woot sites. This is to help prevent people from creating fake "voting" accounts.

So I needed to have been pimping Woot to all of the fans of my graphic art before entering a shirt contest, so that they'd have bought something and be ready to vote.

I was expecting to be able to get votes from them via my Facebook fan page and blog...but I doubt most of them have ever used Woot, before.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
Re: Some Translation Required

Yo ho ho! D:

Love this one!

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Watery Grave Resub.

Huh, I think the color change helped get rid of the bars effect too. Go figure. thumbs up.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
blanked wrote:I am not and was not trying to pile on. I am trying to give you a better perspective and way to criticize in the future.

Some woot back history:
The way you responded to MR is reminiscent of what things were like in threads 1-3 years ago. When any negative comment (constructive or not) or link to a similar shirt had fans reply along the lines of: 'your just a big meanie who can't draw and is jealous, this art is the best ever and you want it to fail just help yourself print- I'm never voting for another thing you enter (or if they weren't an artist- any artist you praise) ever again!!!'
One artist with particularly rabid fans wound up getting banned for blatant IP theft, since then most of the drama has died down.

Welcome to woot.

Looking back was I a bit strong with the snark? Probably. However, at the time and still now I feel like it went a little past "these are the rules" to "wait, I got screwed by this rule, you should too!" That's why I wrote such specific comments. Because I perceived such a personal motive for the lengthy comments by just one individual, I foolishly decided to voice my opinion on what was going on. Given that the design has lasted 'til now, I think it's clear that the design will not be rejected and that whatever issues were raised, the design still met woot's requirements to be a legit entry.

Thanks for the history lesson. Given that I hadn't even heard of woot a few months ago, there's no way I could have known that. I clearly have a lot to learn about woot (apparently snark is only ok in certain cases, for example). For the record, I didn't go to the pages for Midgerock's designs to be like "Oh My Gookie! THIS PERSON SUCKS DON'T VOTE." I kept my apparently horribly wrong opinion to just this thread where I was responding to a situation that I apparently imagined.

nathanshields

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanshields
Mavyn wrote:I like the hatching, but am not a fan of the grey shirt. It would look much better on something warmer--the brown, perhaps?

You might be right. I thought about it, but didn't want to overdose the brown.

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
KAZVorpal wrote:So I needed to have been pimping Woot to all of the fans of my graphic art before entering a shirt contest, so that they'd have bought something and be ready to vote.

I was expecting to be able to get votes from them via my Facebook fan page and blog...but I doubt most of them have ever used Woot, before.

That's how it works. Woot! is actually a pretty cool network of sites, so it's not like telling people to check it out is the worst thing in the world. You aren't going to win just by having your facebook friends and family vote though. Shirt.woot has an existing fanbase and regular voters. Those are the people you have to impress to print.

KAZVorpal

KAZVorpal wrote:Hmmm...I thought the shirt layout part was for Woot, didn't realize it was going to be the main page for the shirt, or I'd have spiffed it up more.

We should have a way to upload newer versions of the image over the old ones.

Here's the good version of the shirt graphic. Chalk this whole episode up to my being a derby contestant newbie, although I've used Woot for years.

KAZVorpal

KAZVorpal wrote:Here's the good version of the shirt graphic. Chalk this whole episode up to my being a derby contestant newbie, although I've used Woot for years.

Oh, great, and now it's cut off in the shirt-specific comment feed, although it's fully displayed on the general feed.

klynb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klynb
Re: Cyber Pirate

As long as my SD card doesn't start talking to me, we'll be fine.

fungusamongus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fungusamongus
Re: Hook Always Wins

Both me hands be hooks! Enjoy

cuzwhynot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cuzwhynot
Re: Overweight

Really, really nice work. This is the kind of character stuff I'm always hoping to find on Woot! GMV!

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
Re: Peg-Leg Pete's

How is this not in violation of the text only rule? It is pretty much 99% text. I like it, but I would imagine it will get rejected.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
marzipanapple wrote:I know this is dorky, but I can't help it. Does anyone else know that murder is a purely poetic term? Like a 'parliament of owls', for instance.

I just thought it was interesting. Most those who study corvids would simply use 'flock'.

Which still works! I suppose you could buy a 'flock of shirts' too. Kind of rouses a nice picture of shirts flying in formation.

I and my shrewdness of apes choose to ignore this.

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
aerc712 wrote:Looking back was I a bit strong with the snark? Probably. However, at the time and still now I feel like it went a little past "these are the rules" to "wait, I got screwed by this rule, you should too!" That's why I wrote such specific comments. Because I perceived such a personal motive for the lengthy comments by just one individual, I foolishly decided to voice my opinion on what was going on. Given that the design has lasted 'til now, I think it's clear that the design will not be rejected and that whatever issues were raised, the design still met woot's requirements to be a legit entry.

Thanks for the history lesson. Given that I hadn't even heard of woot a few months ago, there's no way I could have known that. I clearly have a lot to learn about woot (apparently snark is only ok in certain cases, for example). For the record, I didn't go to the pages for Midgerock's designs to be like "Oh My Gookie! THIS PERSON SUCKS DON'T VOTE." I kept my apparently horribly wrong opinion to just this thread where I was responding to a situation that I apparently imagined.

You just need to chill out. Lots of criticism, snark, nit-picking, and rule reciting happens around here. All people do it, artists and non-artists alike. You personally called out Midge for being jealous and petty with basically no evidence but your own warped perception.

Woot has been very strict about this artwork for sale on other sites rule before and this case does seem kinda borderline. Just because Monday has passed does not mean it won't be rejected. When an entry is in the fog during the week Woot has a meeting to discuss rejection as I understand it. It make take a day or two. I can see both sides of it, and the fact that it's never been sold as a tee shirt might save it, I can't think of any precedent offhand.

If you lose some of the "poor me" attitude and hostility you'll be fine around here, no matter your opinions.

drij

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drij
Re: The King

MJK Jr. was a pirate?

ruthjhodsoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

Oh people! If you don't like it, don't vote for it! For those of us out there who LOVE puns (and math and the whole concept of woot in general)... we get it and think it's cute. There's no need to be so literal, or to squelch others' creative ideas! Just don't vote for it! But I'm a big believer in CONSTRUCTIVE criticism... got something better, than post it! And keep in mind, this shirt is in the fog, so more people like it than don't!

Re: The PiRAT

ruthjhodsoll

You're just jealous you're not that clever!

jvcline wrote:It's not pushing a boundary, it's making a pun that's only related to the theme by the barest of threads. This is definitely something you shouldn't need to be a derby veteran to notice, but, hey.

ruthjhodsoll

The come up with competitive designs that people vote for. Woot is nothing if not democratic!

tarmawolf wrote:Time honored traditions aside, this competition pays good money to those who enter it. Those of us who pay money to have the ability to vote would appreciate less stock being put into "traditions" that are merely puns pushing good, creative and on-theme artwork aside.

ruthjhodsoll

tee-hee!

j5 wrote:dammit tater! I'm sick and tired of seeing you dominate each and every derby with your barely on-topic entries that pander to the Woot voter!

You should be hung!

< waits for the punchline>

madalice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madalice
Re: The King

MLK JRRRRRRRRR?

ruthjhodsoll

So as far as constructive goes... why isn't there more orange? Orange is such an underrated color!

ruthjhodsoll wrote:Oh people! If you don't like it, don't vote for it! For those of us out there who LOVE puns (and math and the whole concept of woot in general)... we get it and think it's cute. There's no need to be so literal, or to squelch others' creative ideas! Just don't vote for it! But I'm a big believer in CONSTRUCTIVE criticism... got something better, than post it! And keep in mind, this shirt is in the fog, so more people like it than don't!

keel620

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keel620
Re: Peg-Leg Pete's

This shirt is great. It fits the rules perfectly. It has a graphic design element just as the rules state it must. This shouldn't, and won't, get rejected. Have you seen kevlar51's awesome design that Woot just printed? The same no-text rules applied for that as well, and all it has for a graphic element is color. Go to the reckoning and take a look.

This is one of the most wearable designs in this derby. You have my vote!

locator3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages locator3000
drij wrote:MJK Jr. was a pirate?

i dont know where to upload my non pirate stuff. if you could tell me that would be awesome

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
bluetuba wrote:You just need to chill out. Lots of criticism, snark, nit-picking, and rule reciting happens around here. All people do it, artists and non-artists alike. You personally called out Midge for being jealous and petty with basically no evidence but your own warped perception.

Woot has been very strict about this artwork for sale on other sites rule before and this case does seem kinda borderline. Just because Monday has passed does not mean it won't be rejected. When an entry is in the fog during the week Woot has a meeting to discuss rejection as I understand it. It make take a day or two. I can see both sides of it, and the fact that it's never been sold as a tee shirt might save it, I can't think of any precedent offhand.

If you lose some of the "poor me" attitude and hostility you'll be fine around here, no matter your opinions.

To attempt to clarify...
I directed my comments at Midgerock because in their post they specifically stated that they had an issue with the design being submitted because of a design that they did not enter in a previous derby. I interpreted that as a more personal-based less rule-based motive. As a newbie who was joining in a derby conversation for the first time because I liked a design and wanted to see it printed, I got carried away and perhaps read into things a bit too much. Had Midgerock not mentioned their own design issue in an early post I doubt I would have made the assumption that there was a personal reason for their issue with the design. It was an honest mistake that snowballed into a freaking mess.

I regret my prediction that things may be ok with the design at this point. I got caught up in stuff and was hopeful that since it did make it through the day that it'd be ok, but until the derby's complete nothing's final.

I have a lot to learn. I'll sit back, read more, learn more, and be careful when commenting in the future.

brhees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brhees
cptgone wrote:+1

of course similar designs exist! we live in postmodern times.
this design is much better in every way (i wouldn't wear the original even if it was free).

maybe i should quit voting here. all it does is make me yearn for the great shirts that could have been.

Agreed -- this was the best version I had seen and we were planning on buying three of them.

Too bad. Not interested in any other designs this week.

brankitteh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brankitteh
locator3000 wrote:i dont know where to upload my non pirate stuff. if you could tell me that would be awesome

I think you have to wait for a theme that would allow this. Awesome image though, would love to buy one when it matches the theme. Hold onto this one and wait ^-^

g0ds4v3tehqu33n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g0ds4v3tehqu33n
Re: Skull and Cross...buh?

Pretty good for a colorblind guy!

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee
locator3000 wrote:i dont know where to upload my non pirate stuff. if you could tell me that would be awesome

That would be here.
Remove this from the derby before submitting there, though.

~meepee ^_^

krazykatlaydee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krazykatlaydee
Re: Arrrr!

Rejected? Rats!

sirmsquared

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirmsquared

I love it! I want one! (Even if it doesn't win; there must be a way!)

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
Jussslic wrote:Since this design is stirring the pot a bit I'll add my own opinion... it's an OK digital painting.

Really good compared to what Woot often sees, but have you guys ever been to Conceptart.org?

Haha, if some of the artists over at CA were aware they could make a thousand dollars a week I bet we'd see more badass paintings in the fog...

You can't seriously compare shirt designs to concept art because there's no 6-colour limit and no need to use halftones to achieve gradients...

Patrick has put some pretty artistic and visually striking stuff onto shirts, and I think that takes talent. I might not want to wear all of them (not much of a fan on huge designs) but I can certainly appreciate them. And I definitely like this shirt more than poorly-depicted horrible puns.

sirmsquared

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirmsquared
fourlane77 wrote:..totally wanted to do a scene of this pirate digging a hole, with two others carrying loot...and a caption that read, "quick, lads...put it in me booty hole!"...

but, yeah...lol

That's a hilarious idea! I'm not sure I'd wear it on a T-shirt, but I still think it's hilarious. It'd make a great desktop wallpaper for my PC and/or my phone... :o)

inspektordogge

quality posts: 4 Private Messages inspektordogge
shadowschaos wrote:Clever but I read it yo & ho ho, then saw the bottle (I'm on my phone and in the thumbnail it looked like half a top hat and mask)

I thought the same thing

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
Re: iPatch

I hope you enjoy this shirt. Thanks for checking it out.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
bpeterson82 wrote:Parlay!

I'm assuming this is a PotC reference, but just to get nerdy:

Parlay means to bet

Parley means to speak with another for terms of surrender, conference, or truce. From the French verb parler (Parlez!), which is pronounced par-lay