meedox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meedox
courtvr wrote:So cute!

Thank you kindly! XD

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Parley

The level of detail here is amazing. You could have just done the crossbones. But the pirates hidden behind makes this an awesome design. Bravo!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Sky Pirate

For some reason the front grille reminds me of an old-school Cylon. Coolness, even if unintended!

nathanshields

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanshields
Re: iPatch

I like the cleverness! Hope it doesn't get axed for pop culture / parody.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01

Amazing work , +1

expo01

Re: iPatch

Nice one Collin! +1

fossilgirl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1

So beautiful and full of imagination. Have to have it! GMV

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not sure it's the loss of the linework, as much as the lack of contrast between the design and the shirt. Give it the old squint test. Then again there's always the "who knows what voters like or dislike" factor. I think all of us start seeing things we could have done differently, as soon as we put stuff up for voting.

Oh man, that's so true. Sometimes I post in the pre-derby thread just because it forces me to look at what I'm working on more critically. :^)

Thanks for the feedback about the contrast. I was shooting for a more subtle overall image, something that doesn't pop, it just blends with the shirt in a wearable way. But that's only a stone's throw from being bland.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Spiritgreen wrote:Oh man, that's so true. Sometimes I post in the pre-derby thread just because it forces me to look at what I'm working on more critically. :^)

Thanks for the feedback about the contrast. I was shooting for a more subtle overall image, something that doesn't pop, it just blends with the shirt in a wearable way. But that's only a stone's throw from being bland.

A good idea is to look at the little shirt mockup you have on your design comp. It should give you an idea of how your colors are separating from each other. When it's that small you can't see much detail and you can see how your colors relate to each other and how the shape of your layout relates to the shape of the shirt. Just something to think about.

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: Jolly Rorschach

Oh man, this is so simple and so good!

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: Here There Be Monster

Aww....love their expressions, so cute!

schighschagh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schighschagh
Re: From Sea to Sky

Nothing about this shirt suggests pirates. It's just a ship. No black sails, no skill and crossbones, nothing. Just a ship.

bethany3cat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
j5 wrote:
For this idea, a mockup of a more realistic steering wheel appearing to have been cobbled up with shipboard bric-a-brac would have sold it.

I am still learning the nuances of online image files. Perhaps posting the hand-drawn wheel I wanted to share with you in my private Facebook account was not a well-thought-out plan.

I think this ImageShack link will be a better way to share:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had drawn this on Friday, and then talked myself into the idea that computer rendered would be better.

Should we add this to the j5's Three (or Four with editing): trust your first instincts? Now, remember, this is for posterity, so be honest.

(Come on, Rejectionator,I can use oblique pop culture dread pirate Roberts references in my own posts, right?)

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor

This is gorgeous! O_O

aeidein

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeidein
Re: No Escape

Great design!

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
Re: X marks the spot

Thanks everyone for your suport, I'll keep trying!

auntieclo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntieclo

What a precious little mouse, alot of personality. I hope he thinks to cast the sail and a big wind pushes him to safety. I want this Tee!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: ARRR!

cheers omar!

cmillard1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cmillard1
lyonscc wrote:Thanks. Would have been nice if they'd done it 4 days ago, as I might have had time yesterday to put together a resub. And if any Shirt.Woot mods are reading, a clarification on the clip-art policy might be nice since there are designs with it that win quite frequently...

Just curious, which recent ones?

laurafoy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages laurafoy
effiew wrote:Is it just me, or is a potato masher to represent Ireland a little offensive?

Why would you single out the potato masher as the only potentially offensive one? They're all pretty stereotypical (and hilariously so). Italians eat pasta! The English drink tea! The French love wine!

jatwellrn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jatwellrn

As a critical care nurse specializing in cardiovascular...I MUST have this!

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
odysseyroc wrote:This isn't a critique on this particular design, but conflicting light sources in a drawing that contains a single figure, aren't a good thing. Even cartoons have to follow some very basic rules.

This was exactly my point... There is a pretty strong shadow indicating that the light source is high and in front of the character... but there is little shadow on the characters face from his tri-corner hat... but the rest of the character is fairly consistent to the light source in terms of shadowing.

As a illustrator, I find this overlooked detail frustrating, and the typical MO of ramyb... which is unfortunate oversight as this sort of shadowing often lends itself to a more foreboding and tense look.

I must apologize for my previous comment which was removed.... the personal comments weren't verbose, but the fact remains that there is a major flaw in this image between the light source and cast shadows.

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: X Marks the Pot...

*Really* like this one!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Big Dream Little Bottle

With designs like this is when I wish I had kids to fill their closets with so much cuteness! GMV!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bethany3cat wrote:I am still learning the nuances of online image files. Perhaps posting the hand-drawn wheel I wanted to share with you in my private Facebook account was not a well-thought-out plan.

I think this ImageShack link will be a better way to share:

I had drawn this on Friday, and then talked myself into the idea that computer rendered would be better.

Should we add this to the j5's Three (or Four with editing): trust your first instincts? Now, remember, this is for posterity, so be honest.

(Come on, Rejectionator,I can use oblique pop culture dread pirate Roberts references in my own posts, right?)

you guys said a lot of nice things, of which I am humbly honored.

Back to the crit, if I had to do a J5 five, it would probably go like this:
1. clean lines
2. simple design
3. pop culture (or popular theme, if pop-cult is barred)
4. whimsicle geekery [sic]
5. animals

If you look at Messrs' nuggets and norant entry this week, you will see they hit all 5 for fogtastic results.

Your wheel suffers from a lack of #2 (no jokes, please) If you don't have a tablet, consider Inkscape as your primary drawing tool. Vectors are fun.

Also, I didn't see your FB image post, so crisis partially averted.

HTH

move along

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
odysseyroc wrote:A good idea is to look at the little shirt mockup you have on your design comp. It should give you an idea of how your colors are separating from each other. When it's that small you can't see much detail and you can see how your colors relate to each other and how the shape of your layout relates to the shape of the shirt. Just something to think about.

Thanks Tony, that's good advice. Yeah I do try to look at what I'm drawing in different ways, I noticed how the little preview window in Photoshop gives a good idea of the whole design without the details. If that's looking good you're on the right track.

I always flip whatever I'm drawing too. Sometimes a whole bunch of wonkiness leaps out at you when you do that. I re-draw, flip it back over. I remember Peter Bagge mentionning that in HATE comics, and I've done it ever since. :^)

It's funny how much a change of perspective can help.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
bluetuba wrote:Sorry matey, Woot, she be a jealous old sea-hag who be unwillin' to share her treasures with other scalliwags!

It really was a nice fit for this derby though.

Agreed. I really liked this one, but the Rejectionator hath spoken.

icemanasakura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icemanasakura
Re: Pirate Hooks of the World

This is hilarious, I need one of these!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
lyonscc wrote:Thanks. Would have been nice if they'd done it 4 days ago, as I might have had time yesterday to put together a resub. And if any Shirt.Woot mods are reading, a clarification on the clip-art policy might be nice since there are designs with it that win quite frequently...

Woot tends to take longer to reject shirts that fog. It's not to be mean, but to give it plenty of discussion among the inner Woot circle. That's my understanding, at least.

I would also be curious to know to what shirts you're referring using clip art. You mentioned it earlier, too.

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
Re: Pirate Hooks of the World

This is awesome! I don't usually wear such big designs but I really enjoy this (hint, hint, woot!, this would be a great poster)

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
cmillard1 wrote:Just curious, which recent ones?

Since it's no longer in the Reckoning, this one is probably the most blatant one, right off the top of my head...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
lyonscc wrote:Since it's no longer in the Reckoning, this one is probably the most blatant one, right off the top of my head...

Unless it's blatant, and I mean really obvious, use of clip-art is left to the community to police. See the comments in FishBiscuit5's entry where she had to defend her original art. In some cases, an artist will slip and admit to using clip art or photo brushes while describing the design process. Rejection follows.

move along

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor
schighschagh wrote:Nothing about this shirt suggests pirates. It's just a ship. No black sails, no skill and crossbones, nothing. Just a ship.

It's clearly a pirate ship portrayed in a whimsical fashion? In a derby that is running rich with stretches on the theme I'm not sure if this .. is really that MUCH of a stretch of the imagination?

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
schighschagh wrote:Nothing about this shirt suggests pirates. It's just a ship. No black sails, no skill and crossbones, nothing. Just a ship.

Oh, you haven't heard of the infamous White Wind Buccaneers, transcending the waves of the sea and deftly avoiding sea monsters and other ships alike while sailing flagless and swift as the breeze?

...yeah, you wouldn't have. They're pretty underground. :> It's okay, I forgive you.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Thank you so much for the comments everyone! Im glad you enjoyed this image ^_^. Also, dont worry about Captain Tinybeard up there...he'll escape somehow!

Bandrik

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Bandrik

Why isn't this in the fog?! Come on people! This is amazing work. I absolutely love the positive and negative space usage. The pipe and ships forming the skull's eyes and nose... amazing work.

expo01

Re: Music Piracy

Thanks sirmsquared , dijay , and thanks to all who voted.

bethany3cat

Back to the crit, if I had to do a J5 five, it would probably go like this:
j5 wrote
:
1. clean lines
2. simple design
3. pop culture (or popular theme, if pop-cult is barred)
4. whimsicle geekery [sic]
5. animals

That's great a j5, for j5; why would you have ever stopped at j3?

Your crits have been extremely helpful. Like I said, money might pay past-due bills, but the learning is the real pay off for me.

In that vein, I took to heart a lot of what you said yesterday, combined with the previously j3 wisdoms. I know the contest part is over for me, but I wanted you to see what I worked out.

I think I'm starting to get a hang of the GIMP too. My advice to noobs with that -- save the file as a new version and delete your undo history every 20 minutes. Wow, figuring that out helped me a lot.

1. I trimmed the idea and got some clean-er lines.

2. The design is much simpler; however, I guess without jettisoning the concept, I have to accept a certain amount of complexity.

3. No pop culture, but maybe next time.

4.Some serious pirate geekery. I had to learn a lot just to execute my silly idea. But such trivia: Did you know that "Throw him in the hold with the Captain's daughter" is not a nice thing to do with a drunken sailor? (Captain's daughter is the cat'o'nine'tails and even Ramyb probably couldn't make that cat cute -- although I once saw a bunny fur version
But I digress.

5. These pirates are animals, but I know that doesn't count.

Well, I started off with none of the five, and moved closer to two (cleaner and simpler). What do you think of this iteration?

I'll be okay if you hate on it.

bethany3cat

j5,
I forgot to say "Thank you."

I want the constructive criticism. How can I construct differently without it?

So, thank you. And anyone else out there that wants to participate in an online artists community that supports, nurtures, and evolves new ideas, designers, and designs.

That's what I'm looking for.

lepyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepyan
Re: A Wee Three Mateys

I like the vertical arrangement.
GMV