+ Add a Comment

tarmawolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tarmawolf

This is a little pop-culturey to me.

jvcline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvcline
Re: The PiRAT

Aside from the name being a riff on 'pirate', and while I think the shirt is cute, I fail to see how this is related to pirates. It's a math shirt, and a rat shirt, but it's not a pirate shirt. The 'pirate ships have rats' defense is laughable.

There are other clever, and more to the point PIRATE RELATED shirts, that deserve a place in the fog over a math joke veiled as being piratey.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
BootsBoots wrote:
(it really works).

It does!
nice!

move along

tarmawolf

odysseyroc wrote:This should be fine. Kevlar's design from the last derby wasn't rejected, and Thatrobert printed with a shirt (in a "no text only" derby) where the "graphic elements' were borders around the text. You can have as much text as you want, as long as you have some kind of graphic element.

Some kind of graphic element really gets pushed, especially in this derby, I'm seeing, by faded watermarks covered in text and, as with this one, some clip art with a focus on the text.

dreweyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreweyes

Wow just now saw your design, great minds think alike! lol

tclem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tclem

meedox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meedox
Re: Big Dream Little Bottle

You can dream big, even in a little bottle. ;D

jvcline

Re: The Crow's Nest

This is absolutely adorable.

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
Re: Ye Olde Party (RESUB)

Still great!

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor

Adorable!!!

tclem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tclem
tclem wrote:

This is the bong!!! I love it!

jvcline

Seconded on being adorable!

kmtowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmtowers
Re: From Sea to Sky

This would make an awesome print!!!

Naolito

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=60947]Nothing at

Very clever

Naolito

Re: Nothing at sight

haha love it!

Mariachi43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mariachi43
Re: Pirate Letter

I don't get it...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
odysseyroc wrote:I'd hate to think that the hours and hours you spent on this were wasted

lol

move along

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
Re: Pirate Radio

Hmmm... that ship looks familiar...

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: How to Drive a Pirate Mad

These never work for me. There are theories on why...most of them not great.

But much as I like BootsBoots, I am not sure I want a shirt that requires people stare at the sweater cows grazing space...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Searchin' For Booty

I love your pointillism style. It's like half toning, but hardcore!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 37 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Arrrrrrctopus!

Love the purple!!

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: Arrrr!

I would be quite happy to see this win so I can buy it for the wifey, whose name also starts with R. Nicely done, Wences!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
jvcline wrote:Aside from the name being a riff on 'pirate', and while I think the shirt is cute, I fail to see how this is related to pirates. It's a math shirt, and a rat shirt, but it's not a pirate shirt. The 'pirate ships have rats' defense is laughable.

There are other clever, and more to the point PIRATE RELATED shirts, that deserve a place in the fog over a math joke veiled as being piratey.

Designs based on a pun of the derby theme, are a time honored tradition. It's the artist's job to push the boudaries as much as possible, and it's the rejectionator's job to let it slide or give it the axe. This design is definitely something a derby veteran would consider being on-theme.

perdita00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perdita00
citizencoyote wrote:There's something very appealing about a simple, neat design. Nice work!

Thankyou!!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Failed Mutiny

This is the perfect companion to Edgar's o god please help us.

I need a 'scared balloons' collection!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
jvcline wrote:Agreeing with tarmawolf, like other top submissions while being humorous it's still a submission that prioritizes the text over the art, which, to me, is clearly disregarding the rules. :\

Does this design have a graphical element? Clearly. So what's the problem?

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Arrrrrrctopus!

I hope to add this to my t-shirt collection. Nice job... you know I love your style!

profbrendan

Re: No Escape

Love the execution of the colors and the layout is wonderful. Great work!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 37 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: No Quarter Given

Excellent execution!

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I love this design. GMV.

jvcline

odysseyroc wrote:Designs based on a pun of the derby theme, are a time honored tradition. It's the artist's job to push the boudaries as much as possible, and it's the rejectionator's job to let it slide or give it the axe. This design is definitely something a derby veteran would consider being on-theme.

It's not pushing a boundary, it's making a pun that's only related to the theme by the barest of threads. This is definitely something you shouldn't need to be a derby veteran to notice, but, hey.

profbrendan

I love the minimal, muted colors. The drawing is just great all around.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
jvcline wrote:Agreeing with tarmawolf, like other top submissions while being humorous it's still a submission that prioritizes the text over the art, which, to me, is clearly disregarding the rules. :\

The rules say: "No text only designs. You must have a graphical element."

In the past, the "graphical element" has been interpreted to be something as simple as a big dot.

See http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57539 for an example.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
jvcline wrote:It's not pushing a boundary, it's making a pun that's only related to the theme by the barest of threads. This is definitely something you shouldn't need to be a derby veteran to notice, but, hey.

"Related to the theme by the barest of threads" is pushing it. It's on theme until the rejectionator says it's not. That's the derby, and how it's always worked.

jvcline

stingray69 wrote:Does this design have a graphical element? Clearly. So what's the problem?

If I go by that, I could submit a shirt that has three paragraphs worth of a poem, and doodle a Godzilla at the bottom and it would conform to what you consider a 'graphical element'.

wersns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wersns
aleafloor wrote:My bad, I meant culture! >,<

Ah just saw the other one, you are correct. I'm waiting for the gods of woot to reject me :P

jvcline

odysseyroc wrote:"Related to the theme by the barest of threads" is pushing it. It's on theme until the rejectionator says it's not. That's the derby, and how it's always worked.

'That's how it's always worked' is the kind of aged, trite excuse that will continue to let good artists that don't have as strong a fanbase go ignored while subpar material done by popular artists will continue to top the chart. (This is a general statement, not necessarily relating to this shirt)

tarmawolf

odysseyroc wrote:Designs based on a pun of the derby theme, are a time honored tradition. It's the artist's job to push the boudaries as much as possible, and it's the rejectionator's job to let it slide or give it the axe. This design is definitely something a derby veteran would consider being on-theme.

Time honored traditions aside, this competition pays good money to those who enter it. Those of us who pay money to have the ability to vote would appreciate less stock being put into "traditions" that are merely puns pushing good, creative and on-theme artwork aside.

WinterArtwork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WinterArtwork
Re: Scurvy Dog

simple, cute and wearable!