+ Add a Comment

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Mavyn wrote:These never work for me. There are theories on why...most of them not great.

But much as I like BootsBoots, I am not sure I want a shirt that requires people stare at the sweater cows grazing space...

i don't see it either.

jvcline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvcline
Re: Soapy Waters

These are awesome RUBBARR duckies.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
bpeterson82 wrote:Hmmm... that ship looks familiar...

and those radio towers look like other radio towers too... Oh My Gookie! ... and that pirate has a bandana like other pirates!?! The reason they look familiar is because we both used the same refferance picture most likely. I didn't use that image in mine, look closer, you will see the flags are not the same and the mast is thicker on mine. Mine also has more curve to the rear mast. I used a photograph, not that image.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
jvcline wrote:'That's how it's always worked' is the kind of aged, trite excuse that will continue to let good artists that don't have as strong a fanbase go ignored while subpar material done by popular artists will continue to top the chart. (This is a general statement, not necessarily relating to this shirt)

We're really not that popular.

Nothing follows.

quabaq

quality posts: 4 Private Messages quabaq
Re: Irrational Pirate

What I don't get is why is it a skeleton? And why does it have no lower jaw?

jvcline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvcline
taternuggets wrote:We're really not that popular.

Hence my pointing out I didn't necessarily mean you. I do like the shirt, I just disagree with it qualifying as pirate material. Sorry!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
jvcline wrote:'That's how it's always worked' is the kind of aged, trite excuse that will continue to let good artists that don't have as strong a fanbase go ignored while subpar material done by popular artists will continue to top the chart. (This is a general statement, not necessarily relating to this shirt)

Trite or not, it's the truth. The unwritten rules of the derby aren't going to change just because you don't like them. The derby is a game, the people who win generally "play the game". It's not about coming up with the best illustration, it's about coming up with a design the voters are going to like while doing whatever you can to stay on theme. We've seen designs not get rejected because the artist plead their case in the comments section, because of the title, or because a small element of the design adhered to the theme. Most people who have been around for a while have accepted it, whether they like it or not.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Re: No Quarter Given

In for 3! I need 2 more votes.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Failed Mutiny

I MADE this crew, and this is how they repay me?

move along

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
tarmawolf wrote:Time honored traditions aside, this competition pays good money to those who enter it. Those of us who pay money to have the ability to vote would appreciate less stock being put into "traditions" that are merely puns pushing good, creative and on-theme artwork aside.

Those of us who put hours into designing for the contest, have to take into consideration what the voters like to vote for. If you can get enough of the voters to conform to your thinking, I guarantee the artists will design to that standard. But why waste your time on something that doesn't have a chance to win, just because a few people on the forums think that's how things should be? It sucks, but I don't know what can be done to change it.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Re: Arrrr!

My 6yo son, name beginning with 'R', immediately recognized the joke and said, "Can I get that?"

I truly hope this places. I might have to buy one in each kid size for him to grow into...even at $12 plus tax.

namesjames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namesjames

This is cool, great colors for a cream colored shirt.

Re: Littered With Treasure

brankitteh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brankitteh
paigeg wrote:That is gonna look GREAT on a shirt!

If this doesn't make it, I would pay to have this painted on a shirt. I want this one. WANT IT

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Pimped Out Pirate Pet

The idea is very funny and awesome, but have to agree on the blue scheme and shirt.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
Re: Ka-BOOOM!!

So, I had a couple votes...I resubmitted a better image (I hope). The first one looked really bad. Please, come back to me and place your votes again! )

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
dooomcat wrote:Love the color choices Bass! (how many "Not another mouse design!" comments will you get?)

Oh I expect some of those comments for sure, heh. I really do draw stuff other than rodents! Just lately it's been more common for me. Sort of. -hides my shame-

brankitteh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brankitteh
Re: Pirate (space)ship

The last message wasn't supposed to be to a specific person, sorry about that. Computer spazzed and wound up hitting the wrong button.

Still, message is valid.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: How to Drive a Pirate Mad

Hahaha, awesome! I love it, even if my Magic Eye skills are a bit rusty and it took me a bit to get the butterfly to pop. I so want this to print.

tclem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tclem
cherylfrancis wrote:So, I had a couple votes...I resubmitted a better image (I hope). The first one looked really bad. Please, come back to me and place your votes again! )

Rocks the free world --I love it!

cpresti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpresti
Re: Land Blubber

A Walrus and his pirate crew!

Check out my Food design please!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
drewdew01 wrote:I'm confused on the No Text rules, can someone please explain whats allowed.

Woot has different levels of text allowed depending on the derby.
Some derbies are "no text allowed", which means, well, no text at all, not even symbols like "!" or "*".
Some derbies are "incidental text only", which means you can have text, but it the main focus of has to be graphic, and you can't rely on the text to make your selling point.
Some derbies, like this one, are "no text only", which means you can have all the text you want, and that text can be the focus of the shirt, it just needs to have a graphic element of some sort in it.
Hopefully this made sense.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: The PiRAT

dammit tater! I'm sick and tired of seeing you dominate each and every derby with your barely on-topic entries that pander to the Woot voter!

You should be hung!

< waits for the punchline>

move along

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
odysseyroc wrote:This should be fine. Kevlar's design from the last derby wasn't rejected, and Thatrobert printed with a shirt (in a "no text only" derby) where the "graphic elements' were borders around the text. You can have as much text as you want, as long as you have some kind of graphic element.

I like this design, but I have to agree with another poster in that it seems to push the boundaries of the "no text-only designs" rule. If you removed the graphics from this shirt, the joke and meaning would remain; they're just embellishments to a funny list.

Compare that to Kevlar's design last week; without the green glow of the monochrome screen, then it was just a line of text and meant nothing, really. The glow gave the illusion of an old school computer monitor. In his case, it was a necessary graphic element.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: How to Drive a Pirate Mad

A pox on you 2-Eyes and your fancy "depth perception"!!

krissalus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krissalus
Re: handi-captain

Awesome work on this! Loving the colors.

----
Tweet.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:dammit tater! I'm sick and tired of seeing you dominate each and every derby with your barely on-topic entries that pander to the Woot voter!

You should be hung!

< waits for the punchline>

heh... i know, right?

It's a little surreal. It's like bizarro-woot.

Nothing follows.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
jvcline wrote:If I go by that, I could submit a shirt that has three paragraphs worth of a poem, and doodle a Godzilla at the bottom and it would conform to what you consider a 'graphical element'.

Pretty much. See this for a good explanation of why:

cdrewlow wrote:Woot has different levels of text allowed depending on the derby.
Some derbies are "no text allowed", which means, well, no text at all, not even symbols like "!" or "*".
Some derbies are "incidental text only", which means you can have text, but it the main focus of has to be graphic, and you can't rely on the text to make your selling point.
Some derbies, like this one, are "no text only", which means you can have all the text you want, and that text can be the focus of the shirt, it just needs to have a graphic element of some sort in it.
Hopefully this made sense.

cpresti

artulo wrote:Nice! I'm digging that he's got a spray bottle.

Agreed! Very cute touch.

cpresti

Really cool colors. But my one criticism is that his legs seem a little too short. Not that it matters much, it's still awesome!

cpresti

Re: ARRR!

You're parrot is sweet! It looks like it's laid one egg too many ;)

runnerfrog13

Impressive, what a great job on the cross-hatching and color choice. Not many shirts look good on cream.

(Coincidentally, this would be my second cream pirate tshirt purchase... the first being Kinzoku's pirate mermaid, also a pirate, hmm... )

cpresti

Re: Pierate

I love the patch over his missing piece, very creative!

dreweyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreweyes

Thanks for the votes! ♥

cpresti

Re: Arrrr!

Amazing! I love it!

runnerfrog13

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=60947]Nothing at

I'm wondering at the intended shirt color? It's a beautiful color, but not quite red enough for woot's cranberry T, and I didn't think they offered purple yet?

cpresti

Re: Bread 'n Butter Pirate

Very well done. This needs more votes, I think! It's early though.

ochopika

quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Mariachi43 wrote:I don't get it...

It's a letter "R". Coincidentally similar in concept to Walmazan's "R". It's a pirate "R". Just say it out loud, lol.

Man, tough crowd today.

*oh nevermind... mariachi43...or should I say...IAN! Thanks for trolling me >.<*

vkinman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vkinman
shikausstan wrote:I almost think if you stuck the updated three on a shirt with an outline of a boat behind it then it would be almost as good of a shirt.

Love this piece as-is (but then again I love most of the math-sciencey ones)!
The revision suggested above would also be neat as an alternate version - just please include the wonderful round parrot. :-) too cute!

*edit* ack, this ended up on the wrong thread somehow - I was trying for the pi-ratey 3.14 shirt. :-( stupid phone browser

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
Re: Away from me BOOTY!

..totally wanted to do a scene of this pirate digging a hole, with two others carrying loot...and a caption that read, "quick, lads...put it in me booty hole!"...

but, yeah...lol

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

runnerfrog13

omarfeliciano wrote:I wanted to make a suggestion on the shirt and beard color. Did you tried the dark gray (slate) shirt? I think it fits the design better. I made the exercise in Photoshop with you're picture because I really like the design, but the green shirt is throwing it off for me. Hope it's ok I took the liberty (I don't want to be a jerk).

I'm definitely a fan of the gray shirt too! That orange bandanna really makes the design stand out

As far as design goes, this is one of the few shirts that would rock on orange. Though, orange shirts are hard to wear and thus, sell, so my vote is still for gray.