WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You can feel it coming, can't you? Spring might not be quite in the air yet, but it's getting there! Temperatures are rising, daylight's sticking around longer, and here in Seattle it's- Well, it's raining as usual. But still! I saw a flower the other day! That's gotta count for something! It's our annual ritual, gang. Give us your best springtime designs, be they odes to flowers blooming, tributes to birds, bees, and other scurrying critters, or maybe just an homage to the joy felt when fresh green grass is between your toes, the sun is shining, and winter's as far away as it can possibly be. Now for the rules:

No text.
No pop culture gags.
Original characters/designs only.

And hey all you Shirt Designers! Check the Shirt.Woot blog for a special announcement updating our Shirt Templates! We've got one or two changes still coming down the pipe as we continue phasing in our transition, but we'll keep you guys updated on the blog.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Current weather in DC: 78 degrees and sunny. Spring is definitely *here* already.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

We prolly need an official rule against resubbing old designs, but I'm jazzed about the theme! Definitely agree that spring is here.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

It's time...for BUNNIES!! :D :D :D

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Isn't summer the time when winter is farthest away?

sem277

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sem277
curli76 wrote:Isn't summer the time when winter is farthest away?

Only if you can travel backwards in time.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bassanimation wrote:It's time...for BUNNIES!! :D :D :D

It's been a bad day for bunnies. They could use some good news.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
tgentry wrote:It's been a bad day for bunnies. They could use some good news.

Why did I click on the link? I would have continued on just fine not knowing that story...

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan

That's...that's the saddest thing I've read all day.
WHYYYY??

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Can someone come cheer me up?

I'm just hanging out, really.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

At least the poor lil' guy didn't suffer...

Everyone makes mistakes on the job, but geez, talk about a bad day at work.

ETA: I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of bunnies and probably a lot of trees. Can I get some bees? Or maybe something to do with baseball...

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Smile

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

here's my idea for this one.

thewronggrape

axphw1 wrote:Redux

2008? Wow, time flies!

Love this one from back then:

Spriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing by DEKONSTRUCT

killerorca

quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca
odysseyroc wrote:here's my idea for this one.

I like it, but I think the shirt color could be different, possibly a brown or silver, also the design seems like it is a little too far to the left. Don't get me wrong I like off center designs, just not so far off it can be seen from a side view only

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
curli76 wrote:Isn't summer the time when winter is farthest away?

No

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Awww, poor sugar. I saw that earlier today. I wanna do a bunny as a tribute to him. ;_;

Hmm. Perhaps I should 'draw' a bunny as a tribute. The other one sounds bad. #derpderpdirtyjokeday

thewronggrape

killerorca wrote:I like it, but I think the shirt color could be different, possibly a brown or silver, also the design seems like it is a little too far to the left. Don't get me wrong I like off center designs, just not so far off it can be seen from a side view only

I like this too but the saturated colors (on that blue) make me think more of summer than spring. I tend to think of more muted tones or pastel colors for spring.

The placement is fine with me.

grayehound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound

I had a design I had worked on but never finished that'd seem to be perfect for this...what do you all think of this (bearing in mind it's half done and needs a ton more work)?

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
killerorca wrote:I like it, but I think the shirt color could be different, possibly a brown or silver, also the design seems like it is a little too far to the left. Don't get me wrong I like off center designs, just not so far off it can be seen from a side view only

I like it on brown.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
bassanimation wrote:I wanna do a bunny as a tribute to him. ;_;

Hmm. Perhaps I should 'draw' a bunny as a tribute. The other one sounds bad. #derpderpdirtyjokeday

lol

That's quite a tribute!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

Yay, a break from the dark slate shirts!

Definitely looking forward to what people come up with for this derby.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob
grayehound wrote:I had a design I had worked on but never finished that'd seem to be perfect for this...what do you all think of this (bearing in mind it's half done and needs a ton more work)?

Already love it!! Can't wait to see it finished.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
aerc712 wrote:Yay, a break from the dark slate shirts!

eh? isn't dark slate the springtime colour at shirt.woot's hq?

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
grayehound wrote:I had a design I had worked on but never finished that'd seem to be perfect for this...what do you all think of this (bearing in mind it's half done and needs a ton more work)?

Just a heads up, you'll need to change the shirt color. Woot no longer has an orange shirt blank.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

So would this violate the "No Pop Culture" rule? It's a riff on a 37-year-old album cover...

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

OK, I have a dilema. I'd like to do an alligator eating a box of baby chicks, possibly colored pink. It would be cute and disturbing... but are peeps considered POP CULTURE? Thoughts??

nowacz11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nowacz11
lyonscc wrote:So would this violate the "No Pop Culture" rule? It's a riff on a 37-year-old album cover...

My interpretation of the 'no pop culture' rule in this derby is that the judges are seeking a design that isn't relying on any type of 'riff' to get the joke or concept across.

I believe pop-culture can be a very broadly defined term, but it's my understanding that they wouldn't want to see any parodies.

I'm not a veteran to woot shirt design by any means, just my view. Opinions?

thewronggrape

DianaSprinkle wrote:Just a heads up, you'll need to change the shirt color. Woot no longer has an orange shirt blank.

I would also recommend changing the entire color scheme. It reads more autumn/harvest than spring to me right now, other than that, I think it looks great so far!

thewronggrape

nowacz11 wrote:My interpretation of the 'no pop culture' rule in this derby is that the judges are seeking a design that isn't relying on any type of 'riff' to get the joke or concept across.

I believe pop-culture can be a very broadly defined term, but it's my understanding that they wouldn't want to see any parodies.

I agree. Don't think it'll fly.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

On the subject of what is considered pop culture.... how about Girl Scout Cookies? I have an idea, but would rather spend the time on something else if they are.

heidiruth

quality posts: 12 Private Messages heidiruth

I'm hoping to see more bird-themed designs in this derby. I mean, c'mon, spring...birds chirping, sunshine, things being green again. You know. Spring stuff.

thewronggrape

nblottie wrote:OK, I have a dilema. I'd like to do an alligator eating a box of baby chicks, possibly colored pink. It would be cute and disturbing... but are peeps considered POP CULTURE? Thoughts??

If peeps were in a meme or something, maybe, but I honestly don't know.

If they were colorful Easter eggs, I don't think that would be pop culture. But Easter eggs have been around for eons, peeps... bah. I don't envy you trying to figure this out.

thewronggrape

cfdunbar wrote:On the subject of what is considered pop culture.... how about Girl Scout Cookies? I have an idea, but would rather spend the time on something else if they are.

Girl Scout Cookies/jokes about Girl Scout Cookies = very pop culture to me. A recent episode of The Office revolved around Girl Scout Cookies.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

This is my very rough start on my design this week... lots of pipes... one broken, leaking water... Flower! any comments or ideas?

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
nowacz11 wrote:My interpretation of the 'no pop culture' rule in this derby is that the judges are seeking a design that isn't relying on any type of 'riff' to get the joke or concept across.

I agree with this! If your joke or image doesn't stand alone without relying on parody or a reference then you can't do it. If your girl scout cookies didn't need to be labeled as girl scout cookies then yes you could do it. If the peeps didn't have to be known as peeps then you could probably do that.

This is also just an opinion.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
thewronggrape wrote:Girl Scout Cookies/jokes about Girl Scout Cookies = very pop culture to me. A recent episode of The Office revolved around Girl Scout Cookies.

I don't know, Girl Scouts are 100 years old! Not that pop to me, personally

I'm just hanging out, really.

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
thewronggrape wrote:I would also recommend changing the entire color scheme. It reads more autumn/harvest than spring to me right now, other than that, I think it looks great so far!

i think the color scheme as-is would work for spring if it was on a light blue shirt. just my $0.02.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
amreli wrote:Current weather in DC: 78 degrees and sunny. Spring is definitely *here* already.

Ah DC, my hometown! Well.. I really grew up in Gaithersburg, but no one knows where that is. Glad y'all are having nice weather down there .