inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

(Entertainment Weekly, image credit)

Well, if Hunger Games can have a thread, why not Game of Thrones. If you are here we presume you have knowledge of the books, and most likely the TV show. If you are new to the books, or just a show-only fan, you may or may not enjoy this thread.

Some notes:
No whining about spoilers. This is a free for all zone of knowledge, speculation, and discussion related to the books and the tv-series.
Silly pictures and macros are fine. Keep it tasteful and within forum guidelines.
Casting for the tv-series is fair news and welcome in the thread, unless you're already repeating known things.

If you are still reading and you have not read the books, this is your last hope to hit the back button!

You are also welcome to start a spoiler free or read along thread, just saying.

New season starts in April, who's with me?

I'm just hanging out, really.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I loved the books, but the first episodes if the show left me flat. Did they improve, emphasize the plotting and scheming more?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I'm a big fan of discussing the show and how it compares to the books. I'm a guy who hosted a Game of Thrones feast last August, has the calendar, every book (including the latest in hardcover and Kindle version), the soundtrack, etc. So I'm a super fan. That being said, I'm also a critic at heart, though I like to think that Neil Gaiman taught me a thing or two about adaptations when he broke it down during the filming of Stardust.

The pilot episode might be the worst in the entire series. It's not terrible, but it seems more like a race to the finish, to try to get as much dialogue, and as many characters, as possible. Tyrion's the lovable lecher! Ned Stark is Super Honorable! Catelyn Stark doesn't like Jon Snow! Et cetera! The show starts to take off with that final, brutal scene, and while it still encounters some growing pains, the show really finds its footing around the mid-point, and is flying high by the time it reaches its powerful climax. It also does a good job of treating the tenth episode as a denouement to the action that led into it, so you understand where the story is going into the next season while also catching your breath (some - some crazy stuff still happens).

It's not the perfect adaptation, especially in terms of scale. It also coined the phrase "sexposition" as a way to try to soften explanatory scenes with flesh (it was generally unsuccessful as it did so, and also makes one "lady of the evening" pop up in almost every episode, either being referenced to or shown onscreen as much as some major characters, despite being totally made up for the show and having no impact on the story whatsoever), and the show doesn't embrace the very creatures that have captivated fans so much (this appears to be something paid great attention to in season 2).

I think the show is pretty good, and the back half of season 1 is quite excellent. The first half has some problems, but it pretty much starts at the bottom with the pilot (which is still good) and improves over time, and even the early episodes have some amazing scenes (like Arya's dancing master, who is just amazing onscreen). The success and cultural awareness of the show can only stand to improve the attention HBO pays to it, and the source material is not only incredibly rich, but ripe for someone to take the pruning shears to in order to winnow some of the more extraneous elements of the plot while also bringing some "offscreen" elements front and center. This season, for example, an entire plotline of great importance will be "seen" for the first time, since it all happened far away from the narration in the books, and that's exciting for fans of the books to enjoy.

I think the first season is very good overall, and as a guy who never watches more than a few shows at a given time due to unrealistic standards, I can say it's worth your time if you can stomach the blood and skin.

inkycatz

Some casting talk, here.

I never really pictured Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell, but since she won me over pretty quickly as Anne Boleyn in the Tudors (don't judge!), I'm willing to give her a shot.

CaptainTr1pps

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps
inkycatz wrote:Some casting talk, here.

I never really pictured Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell, but since she won me over pretty quickly as Anne Boleyn in the Tudors (don't judge!), I'm willing to give her a shot.

I think she has a young but not very innocent vibe to her, which is kind of what I pictured. Without going full Lohan.

inkycatz

It's April! Woohoo! Who's watching, and what are your impressions so far?

davidschronic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidschronic
inkycatz wrote:It's April! Woohoo! Who's watching, and what are your impressions so far?

Good start to the new season! I thought the first season started out a little slow but I'm glad I stuck around. Can't wait for the dragons to grow up!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I read the synopsis on Wikipedia.
I'm good.

move along

matthalbig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matthalbig

loved the first episode of season 2. And @davidschronic - i totally agree - cant wait for the dragons to grow!

inkycatz

Also I'm just a tiny bit sad this isn't real. I'd actually wear that.

ChronoSquall14

j5 wrote:I read the synopsis on Wikipedia.
I'm good.

That just about makes me cry.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

(Books SO GOOD and show makes 'em even better, then gifs make it all PERFECTION. Meow I luv dis series! Cannot wait for Brienne next ep!)

inkycatz

Battle of Blackwater was pretty stellar, am I right, folks? :D

ChronoSquall14

inkycatz wrote:

Battle of Blackwater was pretty stellar, am I right, folks? :D

Some great moments of pure spectacle, the scenes within Maegor's Holdfast were fun and interesting, but overall, I felt like the ep was a bit overhyped by HBO. Especially when you consider the potential for next week. Last season, the climax came when Ned got shorter. This year, the climax is a bit more diffuse, and I can't wait to see the Jon and Dany stories especially reach the conclusion of their respective Clash of Kings plotlines.