wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
neuropsychosocial wrote:Yeah, your girlfriend would be the one to appreciate that, eh?

(I've always dressed fairly modestly, but at some point I realized that one consequence of being on the short end of the growth charts is that most people could look down my shirt with ease - so, only collarbone-covering shirts for me!)

ok...my girlfriend would appreciate that...AND I would appreciate that probably more...but everyone would be happy! so.... hahahahah

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
neuropsychosocial wrote:(I've always dressed fairly modestly, but at some point I realized that one consequence of being on the short end of the growth charts is that most people could look down my shirt with ease - so, only collarbone-covering shirts for me!)

A problem I understand all too well.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
tgentry wrote:Hey guys,

So we've been running these side sales for a few months now... I'm curious about what you guys think about them? Positives? Negatives? What's your favorite product we've run, or one we should have run but didn't? Any suggestions for future sales or designs you're dying to see again? Are you staying up on Sunday night, waiting for the email announcement, or do you not even know what a side sale is? It's all useful feedback, so let me know! Just keep it directly related to the side sales, please. Thanks!

I think they're pretty cool. This week's theme felt forced.

I probably wouldn't ever buy anything but a t-shirt.

I don't understand the point of the tote bags.
These days, you can find tote bags for free or $1 all over the place.

crazychikn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazychikn

Hola, love the site, if its possible to make requests for the side sale? if so can i suggest

the epic begins
a wild night

thanks
much lub <3

syntheticjesso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages syntheticjesso

I think it would be rad to have a picture of the messenger bag instead of a drawing. I am interested in buying, but I want to see it. Even if it doesn't have THAT design on it, or a picture of even the blank would be good.

I like the side sales, and I agree with the sentiment that running them for 2 weeks would be better all around.

zaydabarros

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros

Love the side sales. It's fun to see which designs come back and maybe snatch some that you didn't see or wasn't around when they were first printed.

I would love to see tank tops! It's always hot in Southern Georgia.

V-Necks would be nice too.

kophia

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kophia

I like the side sales and always check them out if I get the email or notice the banner.

Great idea to have the sale last longer. With it changing after just 1 week, the side sale has sort of become less special.

I was thinking it would be great to see some shirts that my daughter liked that were reckoned away too soon, like this one - Robotron Wreaks Havoc http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=15054
So maybe have a side sale with designs that kids like. Not sure how you would go about collecting which designs to include, but you are a creative bunch, no?

It would also be cool to have a Redux side sale where the artist tweaked the design a bit or the shirt color was changed.

We get a lot of cutesy animaly or geeky designs, but none of those are what my better half might wear. Perhaps a side sale theme of designs with a harder edge to them?

Have not tried an Anvil shirt yet (so confused about the sizing), but am def. a fan of any way you could continue to use the AA blanks.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Right now I wish that they would reprint something with bats, yet bats I tell you!

Bats!

Bats!Bats!Bats!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
bluejester wrote:Right now I wish that they would reprint something with bats, yet bats I tell you!

Bats!

Bats!Bats!Bats!

judegriffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judegriffin

I didn't notice the Side Sale until a few weeks before the Woot site redesign--total banner blindness. I just thought it was extraneous Woot-y text/illustrations.

I was very sad when Rasabi's print "The Writer" didn't print in the poetry competition. It's in the Double-Take Derby, but since it doesn't have a noseless smiley face on it, its chances of printing are zero.

I would love to see it printed on a long-sleeve t-shirt or a hoodie that were not sized like the current Anvil t-shirts. I went from a Women's XL to a Women's S, and, while it fits over my chest, it is tight from armpit to armpit. REALLY frustrating from someone who has bought 60 Woot t-shirts over the years.

I think Woot is missing an opportunity to gain an enthusiastic audience for shirts like "The Writer" from the NaNoWriMo crowd.

koan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koan

A Woot Nostalgia Sale
Bring back some of the shirts from the first few years of shirt.woot

Third of July
Genghis Khan World Tour

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
koan wrote:A Woot Nostalgia Sale
Bring back some of the shirts from the first few years of shirt.woot

Third of July
Genghis Khan World Tour

Reckoning 2.0 ! Start with shirts 1-30, and each week eliminate the bottom 20. Even at 20 Shirts a week it'd still take 2 Years to catch up to where we are now.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

I love the side sales! However, I would really like to see more women's shirts (printed on AA). So far I've mostly bought hoodies. I love hoodies, but they're expensive and I only need so many.

So, more women's shirts! Also, women's tank tops for summer, or just offer the unisex tanks in smaller sizes.

bounty42

Slarti59 wrote:I love the side sales! However, I would really like to see more women's shirts (printed on AA). So far I've mostly bought hoodies. I love hoodies, but they're expensive and I only need so many.

So, more women's shirts! Also, women's tank tops for summer, or just offer the unisex tanks in smaller sizes.

They're not doing AA shirts when they can avoid it. Not sure why, since we seem to love them, but there it is.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
bounty42 wrote:They're not doing AA shirts when they can avoid it. Not sure why, since we seem to love them, but there it is.

Profit margins?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

bounty42

neuropsychosocial wrote:Profit margins?

I can't imagine that the offset is sufficient to cover the supply shortages, the loss in sales, the continued bad press, etc.

Have you seen the Reckoning numbers from June? The look like the numbers from 1 week in January. If sales are down 50% or more.....

neuropsychosocial

bounty42 wrote:I can't imagine that the offset is sufficient to cover the supply shortages, the loss in sales, the continued bad press, etc.

Have you seen the Reckoning numbers from June? The look like the numbers from 1 week in January. If sales are down 50% or more.....

Narf and I did some back-of-envelope calculations the other day based on his knowledge of the pricing of blanks, and we estimated that woot may have doubled their profit margins on first day sales for $12 Anvil prints compared to $10 AA prints. That would allow a significant loss of sales, especially since I suspect these changes are motivated by people outside shirt.woot: the folks who are only looking at the bottom line of how much shirt.woot contributes to woot.com's overall profit. I HIGHLY suspect that the budget/profit/loss lines are not being combined, so the profit margins solely on shirt sales probably look great as long as you ignore the money that it's costing to run service, the refunds, etc. That said, I can't imagine that shirt.woot anticipated that sales would drop this much and I think there is some concern, based on some conversations that I've had off-woot. I think we're seeing the result of poorly developed business plans and the negative side of woot's "we don't know what we're doing; isn't it charming?" ethos. My temptation is growing to gather an army of wooters with backgrounds in business or organization and show up at woot's door to insist upon helping them figure this all out. Maybe I'm wrong and this is all part of a well-executed business plan, but from the outside, there's nothing "well-executed" about the recent transitions. And it would have been so easy for woot to present/spin this stuff to prevent all of these problems.

OTOH, I'd like to thank woot for making so many utterly transparent mistakes over the past few months, and allowing all of us to have a first-row view of the train wrecks, because what I've learned and what I've been inspired to research by what's going on here: I am so heading in the direction of I/O psych. So thanks for the inspiration for the change in career direction!

bounty42

neuropsychosocial wrote:Insightful stuff, go back and read it

Yeah the problem is the devil may care attitude doesn't drive decisions like outsourcing blanks, it drives ones like paying more for made in the US blanks. I'm not saying they can't run it like a professional business, but they can't do so and try to act like iconoclasts.

neuropsychosocial

bounty42 wrote:Yeah the problem is the devil may care attitude doesn't drive decisions like outsourcing blanks, it drives ones like paying more for made in the US blanks. I'm not saying they can't run it like a professional business, but they can't do so and try to act like iconoclasts.

You make two separate points here: one that woot can't both run woot like a professional business and act like iconoclasts, and another one - if I'm extrapolating correctly - that printing on more-expensive blanks is a decision that can be made only by a company using a devil-may-care approach. I strongly disagree on both counts; I have personal experience in my own profession with the former, and some of the research that I've been doing over the past few weeks has convinced me that the latter isn't true either. I don't have time right now to say much more (and while I find this to be an interesting conversation and I enjoy reading others' opinions/views - and learn quite a bit from them - this is, in the end, merely an intellectual exercise for me when I get paid by someone else to engage in intellectual exercise on their behalf) - but: I believe that the absolute, fundamental key here is message, message discipline, and marketing in line with the message. As a very brief example: apparel companies who pay higher prices for US-made goods and in turn charge higher prices from their consumers are actually able to do quite well for themselves, as long as their company message and marketing strategy are in line with that choice. Woot could easily have incorporated American-made blanks into a marketing strategy and I can think of a dozen ways to tie that decision into the company ethos that woot attempts to project. When I think back, however, woot essentially used the opposite marketing strategy of what works for US-made apparel (among other factors, hedonistic versus pragmatic marketing). So yeah, woot was probably throwing money away on AA blanks because they were marketing themselves towards fly-by, irregular impulse customers. It turns out, of course, that the average buyer at shirt.woot is different than the average buyer at other.woot (I suspect: woot probably has data that would get at this, but I'd bake cookies and sent them to both headquarters if it turned out that anyone had looked at that data meaningfully in terms of the decision to change blanks). Shirt.woot now has the customer to whom they've been marketing for quite a while - but dollars to donuts shirt.woot didn't realize either that the shirt.woot customer base was not who they were appealing to based on their marketing, or that they could have increased their sales/profits by continuing to produce the same product but changing how they were presenting it.

The new website, FWIW, is even farther in the direction of hedonistic marketing than the old site, by a factor of about a billion (warning: numbers may appear smaller in reality), and what are we seeing? Sales dropping by half over the relaunch. I am firmly convinced that shirt.woot is deliberately and desperately going in the opposite direction, marketing- and message-wise, compared to what it should have done in order to appeal to the customer base that it had nine months ago. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised that the marketing is working well on the other.woots: shirt.woot is a very, very different animal, and treating it like the others isn't working.

For that matter, the message confusion isn't working either. Woot can't operate with message discipline when they're not quite sure what their message is - and to the extent that they think they know what their message is, it's clear that they don't understand how certain elements of it come across to the customer base, and there's no top-down emphasis on message discipline, either. It's entirely possible to run a tight, disciplined company that projects a devil-may-care attitude, but everyone involved needs to understand both sides of that. When amazon said, "we'll be hands off," I bet they have been, except when it comes to the bottom line and telling woot to contribute more to amazon's profits. If amazon were actually heavily involved in every aspect of woot, there's no way we'd be seeing the lack of message discipline and poor marketing that we're seeing, because amazon excels at both.

Right, time... my apologies to the person I was supposed to call 30 minutes ago.

ETA: Several hours after posting this, I realized that it was in the Side Sale Feedback thread. Tgentry, I'm sorry about that. I'm going to leave it here for now because I was responding to a previous post in this thread, but if you feel that it doesn't belong, please move it to another thread instead of simply deleting it, please.

koan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koan
bounty42 wrote:Reckoning 2.0 ! Start with shirts 1-30, and each week eliminate the bottom 20. Even at 20 Shirts a week it'd still take 2 Years to catch up to where we are now.

Not all of the shirts from 2007 & 2008. Just the derby winners that sold out.

Has there been a grim reaper cage match yet?

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59
bounty42 wrote:They're not doing AA shirts when they can avoid it. Not sure why, since we seem to love them, but there it is.

Oops, I didn't mean AA women's t-shirts. While that would be nice, I know they're not switching back. I meant AA women's options in v-necks, long sleeves, and tanks, since those all print on AA in men's. Tanks are probably a lost cause though since they've started printing on ladies anvil tanks.