epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
Re: Forbidden Fruit

A gorgeous image, and a gorgeous poem! If this prints, I might have to ignore the fact that I look bad in red...

daledreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daledreams
stingray69 wrote:This design just screams imagination.

thanks glad you love it

ferretfreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferretfreak
Re: Tell Tale

I know this one shouldn't be in this derby, but they should seriously sell this shirt design too! I love it!

Stephanie W.

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi
Re: The Highwayman

Love the atmosphere of this one. Great job !

meedox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meedox
Re: The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Thanks for all the wonderful comments guys! I'll definitely do something with this design when the two months is up. Viva la mermaid!

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi
Re: Miles to go Before I Sleep

Love the interpretation, and the simple but effective shading you used on the robot makes me envious.

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
Re: Fog by Carl Sandburg

I am so glad to see this poem represented here! One of my favorites, I thought of it as soon as I saw the theme. AND it's well done GMV

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
poeju wrote:Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!

haha This quote is best thing I've seen all day!

unsenuchiha

quality posts: 4 Private Messages unsenuchiha
Re: Fire and Ice - Robert Frost

The art here is undoubtedly amazing and I love the textures of both the fire and ice. I just wish the black void was filled in a little more, though not completely given the meaning of the poem, so that it didn't look like a giant capital letter O on the front. Other than that though, again, absolutely amazing art work and regardless of my complaint, this shirt gets my vote and I will probably end up buying this if it does in fact place in the derby.

midnightcalm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midnightcalm
Re: Jabberwocky

"Jabberwocky"

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought--
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

from Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (1872) Lewis Carroll

epstudio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epstudio

Tug a War
It’s like my mind is playing a game of tug a war and I can’t seem to win either way. It screams, jump, fall, win, and lose. Either way it seems we chose. It screams, “I want you”, it demands truth, yet knows lies are safer, yet they only lead to more pain. Split in the middle where love, and anger come and go, a love poem here, filled with sweet seduction and temptation. Only to go along with the pain, yet not suffocating just faint, like being aware there is a convicted man in the room, yet there is no screaming, no sensation, fear yet your legs don’t move. There are conflicting thoughts saying “sing me a love song” While another voice screams “it won’t last forever he’ll leave as do they all.” But love screams in protest, as if to try to balance out the hardships of this inner war. So here we go again, with this game, no monopoly, and no goldfish. By now innocence has left the building. It’s only your romantic self one edge of the rope, as your angry disastrous self holds the other side of the rope. Angel vs. Devil…..it will never end. This game is endless, don’t go telling yourself it’s any different, and don’t tell yourself it ever will be.
Alyssa Lynn

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2
curli76 wrote:Staff, (or Ramyb, if you'd care to answer), I'd also like to know what (genuine) poem this shirt represents. If it's from the Willie Wonka song, it should be disqualified. That song was written specifically for the movie. Despite what some misinformed web sites may say, Roald Dahl did not write it, and it wasn't in his books. It was never published as poetry. There is poetry, and there are song lyrics, and while the two are intertwined, they are not the same.

So, in other words, this shirt should be considered pop culture then?

that was fun while it lasted!

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
bpr2 wrote:So, in other words, this shirt should be considered pop culture then?

Those are definitely other words.

If this is from the Willy Wonka song, then it should first be disqualified for being a song which, despite arguments to the contrary, is not the same as a poem.

I think it walks a line, pop-culture-wise. The song is from a piece of popular culture but the art is not.

Ramyb could have easily reposted this with another title--it's vague enough--or posted proof that these words come from a poem and not a song. He did neither. If the judges let this through, I'll be disappointed.

epstudio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epstudio

A Poem about the Dragon
I am an unquenchable fire,

The center of all energy,

The stout heroic heart.

I am truth and light,

I hold power and glory in my sway.

My presence
Disperses dark clouds.

I have been chosen
 To tame the Fates.
I AM THE DRAGON.
© 1979 Theodora Lau

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
adanabbett wrote:Don't know what that tyger's goal is, but i don't like where he's headed...

That pretty well sums up the poem.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

mistamoose

quality posts: 31 Private Messages mistamoose
Re: bad morning

Great shirt. I love it.

sandidance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandidance
Re: Namárië/Aldudénië (Tolkien)

Oh, beautiful... but why, for the love of all the ladies out there, do people put TWO THINGS in this layout on the chest of the shirt. Why.

And for that, it does not get my +1, however I like it otherwise.

avidan111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avidan111
Re: Miles to go Before I Sleep

Robocop+poetry=epic shirt.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

jrhetrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrhetrick
paxdomino wrote:Thank you :-) Have you heard the version sung by Loreena McKennitt? Gives me goose bumps!

Phil Ochs also does an amazing version of this song on the album 'I Ain't Marching Anymore'

brankitteh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brankitteh
Re: tug-o-war

I would be interested if the rope was attached anywhere but his anus o_o
Worst colonoscopy ever.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
ramyb wrote:I worked this design to almost completion several times, but felt each time that it was overdesigned. I ultimately decided to go for something simple but striking. Hope you guys enjoy the outcome

Less is more, definitely. :^)

lukas32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lukas32
Re: The Lark Ascending

One of my absolute favorite poems! GMV

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: I am the dragon

Nicely tribal. But, two things need fixing: Your design should be on a consistent background. Showing it on white is misleading. And, lose the copyright. I don't think they (or signatures) are allowed.

VenusAD

quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD
adanabbett wrote:I groaned when I saw the raven, then laughed when I opened it up. GMV!

Thirding that. Love this!

VenusAD

Re: Dream Within A Dream

This image is beautiful. And major points for picking a Poe poem that hasn't been done to death (no pun intended) ^^

VenusAD

alex138 wrote:I'm not too familiar with the poem, I mean I just read it now...is the globe image fairly common with this poem? I just find it amazing that everyone that picked this poem went for the same thematic design. This is awesome, BTW!

Not really. Robert Frost was a naturalist, meaning the vast majority of his work heavily involved nature and images of nature (typically as metaphors for other subjects). He's my favorite poet. Usually his work is accompanied by images of nature - wooods, snow, etc.

I think this is a beautiful image, but it doesn't connect for me the meaning of the poem--the subjects of love and hate. Like someone else said, it's all about interpretation, though.

VenusAD

Re: Where The Sidewalk Ends

Between this and the other depicting this (incredibly awesome) poem, I actually like your line work better, but what's holding me back is the coloring. Maybe it's my monitor, but that very vibrant red makes the scene look forboding to me, rather than the happy and wonderful place that silverstein describes.

Kind of a bummer, cause I feel that's the only thing keeping it from my finding it totally awesome and wanting it desperately.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
j5 wrote:dig it.

Thank you, sir.

VenusAD

AmethystHubbard wrote:Please resubmit this design for other derbies. It is way to neat to go unprinted on what I would consider to be semantics.

Agreed. Love the design!

The Tell-Tale Heart is most definitely not a poem. Poe readily spoke about his methods and works. Like another said, his poetry was very obviously different than his short stories. Tell-Tale is a short story.

But seriously, I want this shirt.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Beowulf

Very nicely done. I expect to see this on one of the "other" shirt sites in a few months?

move along

cattieloves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cattieloves
Re: Because I could not stop for death

I love the idea, but it's just not very well made.

absternr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages absternr
poeju wrote:Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!

That is the best possible response!

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
VenusAD wrote:Between this and the other depicting this (incredibly awesome) poem, I actually like your line work better, but what's holding me back is the coloring. Maybe it's my monitor, but that very vibrant red makes the scene look forboding to me, rather than the happy and wonderful place that silverstein describes.

Kind of a bummer, cause I feel that's the only thing keeping it from my finding it totally awesome and wanting it desperately.

That is a very good point that I didn't think about. I was trying to make the sky crimson but maybe made it a little to blood red.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Fire and Ice - Robert Frost

Thanks again for commenting and discussing my submission. I love to read every one of them.

Before starting my design I read a couple of analysis about this poem, like the one you can find Here.

Yes, between the lines, this poem is about emotions and feelings like passion and hate. But those concepts are very abstract. If my design was something between those lines, then people would've start asking why didn't I designed something with a burning or frozen planet.

I chose the more concrete approach to the poem because I believe it translates better as a shirt design.

Once again, thanks for your votes and support. I really appreciate them!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
lucky1988 wrote:Sweet! The lightning bolt he's carrying is a great touch.

It is! Nicely done perdita, I wanted to do this one as well and couldn't decide how to convey 'lonely' with a cloud and struggled with a good concept - yours is great!

Vote!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Little Miss Muffet

American McGee's Little Miss Muffet?

nice art.

move along

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
Re: Little Miss Muffet

Jeeeeeez! Everything about this is awesome! I love the styling of Miss Muffet! It makes me wanna try some new stuff! (I don't do shirts but I do draw) I'm going to have to keep an eye on your future entries because this is full of win!

There are only a couple things that maybe could have helped you along. While I personaly love the color choice and don't mind wearing it many wooters prefer something darker so you might have gotten more votes that way. But there's still time I really do love your design and I hope it moves up. +1 for me!

countabby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages countabby
n10city wrote:I remember way back in junior high choir, singing a song that was adapted from this poem. The shirt is brilliant and I pray that if it does not win, it at least places so I can purchase one.
Well done, very well done!

I also sang a song in choir adapted from tyger! tyger! I must have this shirt!

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
Re: Beowulf

I love Beowulf and this cracks me up but I have to know... Does anyone else see Beast Boy from Teen Titans? Because that face just keeps screaming "Beast Boy" right at me.