WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're big fans of history here at Shirt.Woot. We read historical fiction, we listen to historical podcasts, and we all had to pass United States History in grade school. But we know where our bread is buttered, baby, and we think we could really turn the masses onto history if we injected some cute and furry. So this week, recreate your favorite points in history, except swap out all the humans for animals. Maybe you can depict George PAWshington crossing the Delaware, or AbraHAM Lincoln getting assassinated by- You know what? That's a bad example. Just give us history, or give us adorable animals! Actually, give us both. Yeah. Both.

No text.
"History" is defined as famous events that ocurred pre-1970.
"Famous" is defined as something more than just your goofy circle of friends know about it. None of this "one time my bro John ate this burrito the size of a baby" crap.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Do the have to be real, fully substantiated animals?
Like, if you don't clarify, you'll get more cryptids than a season of scooby-doo and the discovery channel combined!

computermd82

quality posts: 32 Private Messages computermd82

I don't see any rules against Pop Culture this time around... Star Wars may be 70's, but Star Trek is 60's.. Just saying ;)

Good luck!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I don't know that a TV show counts as history in the way the derby outline is written.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
computermd82 wrote:I don't see any rules against Pop Culture this time around... Star Wars may be 70's, but Star Trek is 60's.. Just saying ;)

Good luck!

It wasn't the 80's... it was a "long time ago in a galaxy far away" sounds like it was way before the 70's to me.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
ChronoSquall14 wrote:I don't know that a TV show counts as American History in the way the derby outline is written.

nothing to stop the Thundercats (arguably animals) from doing Custer's last stand, or something just as equally shoehorned.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

nessa204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204

Wait, it has to be US History?
Poop... there goes my Bubonic Plague idea

benjaminleebates

Where does it say US history?

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy
nessa204 wrote:Wait, it has to be US History?
Poop... there goes my Bubonic Plague idea

I was just about to ask this as well - all of history or just US history?

j5

noxandpy wrote:I was just about to ask this as well - all of history or just US history?

US History was an example, use whatever history you please.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:US History was an example, use whatever history you please.

are events described in the bible history?

benjaminleebates

no1 wrote:are events described in the bible history?

I would hope so. I think the rules are more about the event being famous.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

Obviously getting close to the overriding "no religion" rule. Though for whatever reason I feel like the Old Testament isn't quite the auto-rejection that the New Testament is.

j5

Not without corroboration.

qkp000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qkp000

LOL at "a burrito the size of a baby crap," which is how I read it.
The Civil War, bunnies vs. penguins?

benjaminleebates

qkp000 wrote:LOL at "a burrito the size of a baby crap," which is how I read it.
The Civil War, bunnies vs. penguins?

Which one thinks they have the right to own others?

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz

Are you saying that anyone born before 1970 is history?

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

HAHA So many odd historical moments.

Like when the beaver Abe Lincoln put on his first Stove-pipe Hat made from other beavers. Beaver fur was all the rage back in his day....

nerdgirl985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdgirl985

I would love to see macabre historical events with super adorable animals: the Salem witch trials [is it a BBQ or a witch being burned at the stake?], the beheading of Marie Antoinette [with the masses eating cake, of course], etc...
I have zero artistic skill so I hope that someone with the skills shares my twisted sense of humor and makes some amazing submissions to this derby!

mistressofpez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistressofpez
computermd82 wrote:I don't see any rules against Pop Culture this time around... Star Wars may be 70's, but Star Trek is 60's.. Just saying ;)

Good luck!

Well maybe Star Trek. Wouldn't the kiss between Kirk and Uhura be considered historic? Being the "first" bi-racial kiss on tv?

shikausstan

Here is my quick mock up. Bunnies Re-enacting the "Big Bang" The first ever historical event... maybe

potential? Yes? No?

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
shikausstan wrote:Here is my quick mock up. Bunnies Re-enacting the "Big Bang" The first ever historical event... maybe

potential? Yes? No?

I would argue the big bang is not a historical event.

cjoymr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjoymr

I agree--the Big Bang is clearly a pre-historical event!

mariahrh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariahrh

Cool i love the idea of being a 'animal' instead of basiclly yourself! Keep up the good work!

shikausstan

cjoymr wrote:I agree--the Big Bang is clearly a pre-historical event!

Well I might scratch the idea but:

his·to·ry/ˈhist(ə)rē/
Noun:
1.The study of past events, particularly in human affairs.
2.The past considered as a whole.

So base on #2 and not #1 it counts... but if a lot of people think it doesn't count I won't do it...

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I predict lots of ninja turtles in feudal japan

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

goodlifegardens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodlifegardens

Need to remind all of the shoppers that the 4th of July is coming. And the artists also.

tangolite132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangolite132
cjoymr wrote:I agree--the Big Bang is clearly a pre-historical event!

No. >.< It's not historical at all. The Big Bang is a theory. In many people's minds, the Big Bang doesn't even exist. In fact, it may not. Information is invalid.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that: who's afraid of the big black bat?"

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets

I'm assuming that an event has to be depicted and just a historical character wouldn't cut it. Everyone agreeing with that?

Like a portrait of Napoleon Cat wouldn't be enough.

Nothing follows.

shikausstan

tangolite132 wrote:No. >.< It's not historical at all. The Big Bang is a theory. In many people's minds, the Big Bang doesn't even exist. In fact, it may not. Information is invalid.

But you see that is the beauty of it all... because it could very well be a real event... or it could not. And one side may have very compelling evidence and the other may not... But to some it happened... and would you deprive the few of their desire to have this be a real historical event in the history of the universe?

shikausstan

taternuggets wrote:I'm assuming that an event has to be depicted and just a historical character wouldn't cut it. Everyone agreeing with that?

I took it as such... but that may or may not be accurate.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
taternuggets wrote:I'm assuming that an event has to be depicted and just a historical character wouldn't cut it. Everyone agreeing with that?

I took it as that was allowed. What is woot without bad puns like Thomas Jefferson as a cow called Thomas Heiferson?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I have no idea what I am going to design...

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
cdrewlow wrote:I took it as that was allowed. What is woot without bad puns like Thomas Jefferson as a cow called Thomas Heiferson?

I'd like it to be allowed and it could very well be. I was just soliciting some other opinions on it. It could be argued that a historical figure wearing an iconic outfit was an event from history.

Maybe we could get some clarification.

Nothing follows.

JStaso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JStaso

To name a few:

Benito Mooselini
Pol Pot-Belly Pig
Joseph Stallion
Chairman Cow
Saddam Goose-sein
Muammar al-Giraffe
Fido Castro
Hippo Chavez
Rodent Mugabe
Mahmoud Baa-Madinejad
Ivan the Terrier
Gorilla the Hun
Napo-lion Bonaparte
El Heffer
Ayatollah Pony-ni
Kim Jong-Eel

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
taternuggets wrote:I'd like it to be allowed and it could very well be. I was just soliciting some other opinions on it. It could be argued that a historical figure wearing an iconic outfit was an event from history.

Maybe we could get some clarification.

imo when they talk about "famous events before 1970" that implies something more than just wearing an outfit. but rejectionation seems to be at the whim of the rejectionator rather than applying hard and fast rules.

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad

This is probably wrong on a few levels, but I'm doing penguins re-enacting the sinking of the Titanic. Don't worry, it'll be adorable. Wrong, but adorable.