taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
lyonscc wrote:How is it we have dozens of printed shirts w/ Star Wars characters on them? I thought that was all covered under parody?

Your depiction of the characters might be a little too spot on.

Nothing follows.

trenton21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trenton21
goodlifegardens wrote:Need to remind all of the shoppers that the 4th of July is coming. And the artists also.

Yeah in 3 months....let us get through memorial day first.

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
ljwilke wrote:i like navy best.

I also like navy best!

quillo91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quillo91
BaldDreds wrote:Voskhod 2 (first space walk)

I LOVE THIS

nerdgirl985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdgirl985
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got:

penguins by Ape Lad, on Flickr

This is perfect!!! I love that the penguins are happy.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
taternuggets wrote:Your depiction of the characters might be a little too spot on.

What if I make sure all of them have period garb/roughing up? Like this:

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
kevlar51 wrote:Here's where I am with my entry at the moment. "Chicken Caesar." Thoughts welcome!

I like this!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
lyonscc wrote:I just couldn't get Washington Crossing the Delaware out of my mind...

I agree, this is far too close to copyright to survive. Frickin funny, though. Change them up a bit so you have parody, not infringement, and - add a pig on the shore!

paigeg

Radscoolian wrote:"Pip-squeak"

Rascoolian, FTW!

paigeg

phylumsynthesis wrote:Semper Fido!

Flag raising at Iwo Jima. Tried to get a good number of common WWII war dogs in there.

Still need to get the sky in all painterly and pretty to really add contrast, but tuckered out tonight. Flag is next as well.

Awesome - just awesome! Perfect for Memorial Day, or next February's 68th anniversary of that iconic photo.

paigeg

paigeg wrote:I agree, this is far too close to copyright to survive. Frickin funny, though. Change them up a bit so you have parody, not infringement, and - add a pig on the shore!

I like the new version better, with the bandage and whatnot. But, you still need to tone down (simplify) the characteristics of the birds to make them a tad less spot-on. Even though parody, there are some things Woot can't print due to copyright. And with something like Angry Birds, there's no telling that Rovio couldn't develop a Revolutionary War scenario for the game. Doubt it would sell, but...

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
paigeg wrote:I like the new version better, with the bandage and whatnot. But, you still need to tone down (simplify) the characteristics of the birds to make them a tad less spot-on. Even though parody, there are some things Woot can't print due to copyright. And with something like Angry Birds, there's no telling that Rovio couldn't develop a Revolutionary War scenario for the game. Doubt it would sell, but...

Actually, a RevWar version for Angry Birds Seasons, right around the 4th of July, would be completely plausible.

1. For copyright issues (which I agree this one has): make them more like caricatures of the actual birds, and you'll probably be ok.

2. For derby issues: right now the history tie-in is very subtle...too subtle. If I didn't know what the derby theme was I would wonder what your joke was.

paigeg

dcroe05 wrote:Actually, a RevWar version for Angry Birds Seasons, right around the 4th of July, would be completely plausible.

1. For copyright issues (which I agree this one has): make them more like caricatures of the actual birds, and you'll probably be ok.

2. For derby issues: right now the history tie-in is very subtle...too subtle. If I didn't know what the derby theme was I would wonder what your joke was.

I totally got it, though the white bird's hat looks a little cowboy-ish. I'd make redbird's pigtail white, too.
If Rovio did RevWar in space, I'd be on it. I'm loving the new game with the zero-G vs G complexity. Good stuff. I'll be surprised if we don't see a sub with Angry Birds space-or moon-walking.

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike

Dodged a bullet. Both cat on the moon and penguins on the Titanic came to mind early on. I went with the first flight. Seems like no one has touched it yet.

Just wish my execution had been better.

Yeah, so there's that...

lqotw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lqotw

Great idea, but it might be even more effective with marshmallow Peeps!

LQOTW
(If only she'd use her Powers for Good)

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

With an hour to go, I'm starting to think trying to draw Benjamin Franklin as an electric eel was a bad idea. :-p

(not a joke)

Lots of great looking designs, guys. Hopefully I'll get to buy Apelad's Titanic next week for a start.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
paigeg wrote:I totally got it, though the white bird's hat looks a little cowboy-ish. I'd make redbird's pigtail white, too.
If Rovio did RevWar in space, I'd be on it. I'm loving the new game with the zero-G vs G complexity. Good stuff. I'll be surprised if we don't see a sub with Angry Birds space-or moon-walking.

Alright - added a powdered wig (and made the tail white to go with the wig, since it IS George Washington), altered the color choices, and changed a few more things around...

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks for the preferences so far, if anyone else likes this and has one, please let me know!
(bigger versions on previous page)

jasneko wrote:Here's what I've been working on.
Which shirt color looks best - Navy blue, royal blue, or black? Thanks!

cgrant3809

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgrant3809
jasneko wrote:Thanks for the preferences so far, if anyone else likes this and has one, please let me know!

Definitely navy. Black is nice and spacey, but... maybe more people might wear navy than black?

I don't know, but I like the Navy one better

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
cgrant3809 wrote:Definitely navy. Black is nice and spacey, but... maybe more people might wear navy than black?

I don't know, but I like the Navy one better

I was going to say navy too.

nessa204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
orabbit wrote:Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Does my fire work? I haven't halftoned it yet...
I'm pretty new to the derbies, so I thought I'd test the waters.

I like this, but I'm pretty sure it's been proven to just be a rumor started by an angry populace.
Nero apparently gets a terrible rap... misogynistic tendencies aside...

nessa204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
paigeg wrote:Rascoolian, FTW!

AGREED.
MERDE. I really need to stop looking at this thread BEFORE I start a design.
The awesomeness to be found in this thread is kind of killing my motivation xP

lauresagoldfireoftheblueelves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauresagoldfireoftheblueelves

Hamsters re-enacting Woodstock? I'm new to the forums and haven't tried to design my own yet (don't have the software?) but I think this would be fantastic...

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks cgrant and spiritgreen! Looks like it's going to be navy

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
Spiritgreen wrote:With an hour to go, I'm starting to think trying to draw Benjamin Franklin as an electric eel was a bad idea. :-p

(not a joke)

Lots of great looking designs, guys. Hopefully I'll get to buy Apelad's Titanic next week for a start.

More like a great idea! Love it!!

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
lauresagoldfireoftheblueelves wrote:Hamsters re-enacting Woodstock? I'm new to the forums and haven't tried to design my own yet (don't have the software?) but I think this would be fantastic...

Try using gimp... It is a little harder than Photoshop and not as elegant but thats what us cool people use! (Cool = poor)

MissRebeccaF

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissRebeccaF
jasneko wrote:Thanks for the preferences so far, if anyone else likes this and has one, please let me know!

I love it on navy.

paigeg

Spiritgreen wrote:With an hour to go, I'm starting to think trying to draw Benjamin Franklin as an electric eel was a bad idea. :-p

(not a joke)

Other than the eyes, I like it. Needs hair, though, JMO.

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456

Navy

supermegatopia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermegatopia

Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow landed on the moon...

Moooon Landing

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

so the count so far...
2 Napoleans
2 Teddy Roosevelts
3 Trojan Horses
6 Wright Bros
9 Moon Landings
equals 22 of the current 51 designs subbed.
almost 50% of the designs subbed...

there's got to be more events that have happened prior to 1970 peeps.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
midgerock wrote:so the count so far...
2 Napoleans
2 Teddy Roosevelts
3 Trojan Horses
6 Wright Bros
9 Moon Landings

NUH UH! >.<

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
midgerock wrote:so the count so far...
2 Napoleans
2 Teddy Roosevelts
3 Trojan Horses
6 Wright Bros
9 Moon Landings

The number of penguin Wright brother designs is outrageous! Guess I won't be subbing my penguin Wright brother design, though. Need a new idear...

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer

Someone please make a Laika design. Seriously, first earthling in space -- this derby is crying out for her. If only I had a modicum of artistic ability

taternuggets

roysterer wrote:Someone please make a Laika design. Seriously, first earthling in space -- this derby is crying out for her. If only I had a modicum of artistic ability

But she's a real animal in history. You want to replace her with a fake one?

Nothing follows.

taternuggets

It looks like rule 62 section b has been retired.

Nothing follows.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

Any suggestion on it, any thing I can do to make it better.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jfsiv wrote:

Any suggestion on it, any thing I can do to make it better.

more anatomy. it looks like he's standing on his tippy toes for no obvious reason.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
no1 wrote:more anatomy. it looks like he's standing on his tippy toes for no obvious reason.

O.K. well do you how any tips on how I can find or figure out the anatomy of a cartoon character. Because I don't know if the 8 or 7.5 head thing is going to work? And I'm open to some suggestion.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jfsiv wrote:O.K. well do you how any tips on how I can find or figure out the anatomy of a cartoon character. Because I don't know if the 8 or 7.5 head thing is going to work? And I'm open to some suggestion.

horizontal feet?