inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I felt this related nicely to today's discussion but mostly was enjoyable to listen to.

I'm just hanging out, really.

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
nickjh85 wrote:I'm just so happy that there are other wooters that listen to Aesop Rock. I signed in just to make that connection.

i consider my musical tastes to be kind of eclectic. by comparison, how many people on here who listen to aesop rock also love dave matthews band, son house, and modest mouse?

porlob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages porlob

I think Pluto's better off where it is. Instead of being the runt of the litter of proper planets, it gets to be the second largest of the welterweight class!

porlob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages porlob
lete wrote:Definitely! I'd rather learn about the new planets being discovered than learn new contrived definitions for the word planet any day.

But at what point does a definition of "planet" that includes Ceres break down? Despite some of the dismissive comments, Pluto (and its tiny brothers and sisters) ARE something special. They're just different than Jupiter and Neptune, or Earth and Mars. They have a different sort of history, a different make-up, and a different orbital environment than the gas giants and the rocky planets. And making a new category to help everyone better conceptualize that difference is a good thing.

newyorknicole

quality posts: 1 Private Messages newyorknicole

back in my day there were NINE planets.

mackenziefrenzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mackenziefrenzy

AHHHHH I love this shirt <333333
why shouldn't pluto be a planet; a planet's definition is a celestial body moving in an elliptical orbit around a star, which im thinking pluto does!

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

I could not resist! I had to buy one!

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

inkycatz

newyorknicole wrote:back in my day there were NINE planets.

I always think of this image when someone wants to do a "friends cut" on whatever social media is popular this week:

rockabettygirl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rockabettygirl

Love some Aesop Rock!

rockabettygirl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rockabettygirl
marmls2m wrote:was this intentionally an Aesop Rock reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG8bD28Ek84

Totally.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

jmp8910 wrote:Sooo... Can someone from woot please sing the song from the write up and post it!!!!

Not a chance.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

4khaos wrote:People just want Pluto back so their mnemonic devices work.

"My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine"
"...Nine what?!"
"That's it, since Pluto was taken off, she didn't serve us anything. No pizza, no pie..."

Thank you thank you thank you for knowing this! I thought I was the only one. Except in my kindergarten version, it was My Very EDUCATED Mother Just Served Us Nine PIZZApies. I remember thinking that pizzapies as one word was a bit of a stretch.

inkycatz

amynance wrote:Not a chance.

I would love to see someone do it though.

NOT IT.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Way to win one for the good guys, Tony!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

So glad to see Pluto get some love and congrats to Odysseyroc on the print... this better do well! Go buy it people!

tangolite132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangolite132
amynance wrote:Thank you thank you thank you for knowing this! I thought I was the only one. Except in my kindergarten version, it was My Very EDUCATED Mother Just Served Us Nine PIZZApies. I remember thinking that pizzapies as one word was a bit of a stretch.

...I thought it was My Very EAGER Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas. At least, that's what my old LeapFrog said.

An alternative is Mary's Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights Period. :3

"Riddle me this, riddle me that: who's afraid of the big black bat?"

tangolite132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangolite132

Let's all go consult NASA. Liek naow.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that: who's afraid of the big black bat?"

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

'Grats odysseyroc!

Stubborness FTW.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu
newyorknicole wrote:back in my day there were NINE planets.

THERE. ARE. NINE. PLANETS!!!

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

I hope tomorrow they address the counterpoint with a "Dude, let Pluto go." shirt.

bishwino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bishwino

Come on people, Pluto isn't gone, you know. It's still there. Floating around the sun as always. I fail to see how appending "dwarf" to it takes away any of its significance.

Pluto is NOT gone. Be happy it's still there.

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete
porlob wrote:But at what point does a definition of "planet" that includes Ceres break down? Despite some of the dismissive comments, Pluto (and its tiny brothers and sisters) ARE something special. They're just different than Jupiter and Neptune, or Earth and Mars. They have a different sort of history, a different make-up, and a different orbital environment than the gas giants and the rocky planets. And making a new category to help everyone better conceptualize that difference is a good thing.

I'm fine with them being different. Yet I disagree that they are so different they can't be considered planets. According to the IAU, if Jupiter was in the middle of the asteroid belt, it would not be a planet. Their definition only works here; It is tailored to our own star system and therefore it is not robust. They'll have to reconsider their classification process when we're able to catalog asteroid size bodies in other star systems, otherwise the word planet will have no meaning in our diverse galaxy.

marg1011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marg1011

This shirt would have been a lot more appropriate tomorrow - Pluto's name day. Or Clyde Tombaugh's birthday. Either way, the song is good.

But, at the risk of sounding like Colbert - Pluto is an American Planet (Ok, only one discovered by an American)

Nozitina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nozitina

Hey
Shirt.woot! I love your shirts and have a fair amount of them, I just wish you would give XS an option for a women's size. . . i'm getting kinda tired of having to alter my shirts every time I get one . . .

Vincent850

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vincent850

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine...
NINE WHAT!?!?!
Without Pluto, this will always be an unfinished thought =\
This should be reason one why Pluto be deemed a planet once more.

*4 Woots Total 3/17/2008 Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB Media Player 2/26/2008 LG Electronics Portable Stereo Speaker – 2 Pack 1/29/2008 Philips Portable Speaker System - 2 Pack 12/11/2007 RCA Lightweight Behind the Neck Headphones - 2 Pack *2 Shirt Woots Total 3/15/2008 Walking Through The Forest 3/8/2008 Tie-Dyed

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Gally242 wrote:
I'm sorry general public, people who know more than you about these specialized fields have come to a consensus. All the whines and nostalgia in the world won't change stuff and honestly complaining years later just makes a person look dumb.

I firmly believe that it is difficult to look dumb with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek. And as it happens, I believe that it is quite easy to look dumb while being judgmental.

[And to anyone tempted to point out that the latter is contradictory, I suggest you reread the former.]

inkycatz wrote:I always think of this image when someone wants to do a "friends cut" on whatever social media is popular this week:

I've never seen that before; thank you for bringing it to my notice! I've got a big smile on my face.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

yipound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yipound

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last wooter to woot: ginarina427
Last purchase time: Monday, April 30, 2012, 11:59:16 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 49.830s
Woot wage: $3,751.97
Woots sold: 1733

Last wooter to woot: ginarina427
Last purchase time: Monday, April 30, 2012, 11:59:16 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 49.801s
Woot wage: $3,751.97
Woots sold: 1734

Last wooter to woot: Kyle3232
Last purchase time: Tuesday, May 01, 2012, 12:05:49 AM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 49.999s
Woot wage: $3,734.97
Woots sold: 1735

First day sales: 1734

laurel861

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurel861

Pluto IS a planet. For scientific reasons supporting Pluto's planet status and a broader planet definition, visit my Pluto Blog at http://laurelsplutoblog.blogspot.com
Dwarf planets are planets too!

GadgetGeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GadgetGeek

Can I still buy one or two kids sizes of the Pluto shirt? Can I huh?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++==+++++++

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
GadgetGeek wrote:Can I still buy one or two kids sizes of the Pluto shirt? Can I huh?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++==+++++++

Yes you can - click here.

For future reference, you can always access it from the first post in the discussion thread too, through the permalink.