WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You know, it's true what they say. Two's company, three's a crowd. That's why this week we have a special announcement: we're only printing first and second place. Now depending on your outlook on life you can chalk it up to some horrible conspiracy born out of our quest to ruin your day, or you can accept that it's part of regularly-scheduled downtime and wonder what's coming up. So here's the deal: this week, give us your best designs showing how three's a crowd. Maybe it's a pair of lovebirds shoeing away a third, maybe it's a couple of kids playing Battleship and a third wanting in, or maybe it's two clowns murdering another clown in a filthy basement. Maybe not that last one.

• No text only designs.
  • Seriously, we're not printing third place. Only First and Second will print, and they'll split third place's prize money among them for a total of $1500 to each winner.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

Anticipating some Memorial Day Weekend debauchery, are we?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Curious to see what prints on Sunday...

Bonus points to anyone who makes a mockery of the US two party system. :D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719

One of these Turbunguins is not like the other...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
juliaL719 wrote:One of these Turbunguins is not like the other...

Sigh... sadly

fofmock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock

It almost sounds like school kids being dared. Seriously, I'm really going to do it this time, I'm only printing 1st and 2nd...

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

A real split would also be $3 per next day sale.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
juliaL719 wrote:One of these Turbunguins is not like the other...

omarfeliciano wrote:Sigh... sadly

I don't know a Mutated tubunguin standing frowning between a penguin with a faux shell and bunny ear headband, and a Turtle in a tuxedo and a bunny ear headband, both with looks of disgust on thier kawaii faces might be nice.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
kinzoku wrote:A real split would also be $3 per next day sale.

unless they aren't awarding any royalties at all. it does say a TOTAL of $1500 to each.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Mavyn wrote:Curious to see what prints on Sunday...

Would it have to show Ross Perot?

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Mavyn wrote:Curious to see what prints on Sunday...

Go ahead, throw your vote away! Aaaahahahaha!

(Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos)

Mavyn

cdrewlow wrote:Would it have to show Ross Perot?

I was thinking a moose.

Otherwise, you have an elephant and 2 jackasses.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

What happens when you add a third to a diatomic molecule? Could be catastrophic.

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
cherylfrancis wrote:What happens when you add a third to a diatomic molecule? Could be catastrophic.

I was thinking of something along those lines myself.

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
no1 wrote:unless they aren't awarding any royalties at all. it does say a TOTAL of $1500 to each.

It'll be interesting to see if they change the T's and C's for derby submittal.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
...or maybe it's two clowns murdering another clown in a filthy basement.

Somebody so needs to do this.

I shudder at the thought of whatever "surprise" Woot has prepared for us this time.

bounty42

citizencoyote wrote:Somebody so needs to do this.

I shudder at the thought of whatever "surprise" Woot has prepared for us this time.

I'm hoping either A) they took my suggestion are are switching from 1,2,3 to 1,2,breakout first printer, or B) they're starting 1 day no reckoning 2nd Chance print.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
cherylfrancis wrote:What happens when you add a third to a diatomic molecule? Could be catastrophic.

My concept is along those lines.

Two Oxygen atoms and a Carbon atom (CO2). And one of the Oxy's saying to Carbon, "Please, let us Breath"

kevlar51

Sticking to the science themes already discussed, I'm considering something with a Triple Helix DNA molecule.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
kevlar51 wrote:Sticking to the science themes already discussed, I'm considering something with a Triple Helix DNA molecule.

Who are you, Linus Pauling?

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
Josephus wrote:Who are you, Linus Pauling?

hahahahaha!!!

kevlar51

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

I'm not an artist. But someone should do some kind of AA t-shirt reference unhappily sandwiched between Anvil and Gildan t-shirt references. That would make me laugh. Clearly three is a crowd. Any takers?

bounty42

kevlar51 wrote:Sticking to the science themes already discussed, I'm considering something with a Triple Helix DNA molecule.

No, he's Bruce Banner, and you won't like it when he cross-transcribes.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
paigeg wrote:Anticipating some Memorial Day Weekend debauchery, are we?

Can't be... memorial day is the 28th. They must be up to some other sort of nefarious plans.... WHAT ARE YOU UP TO SHIRT.WOOT?!?!?!?!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
bounty42 wrote:No, he's Bruce Banner, and you won't like it when he cross-transcribes.

You see, Linus Pauling, owner of 2 Nobel Prizes, thought he knew how D...oh, never mind.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

move along

Mavyn

leprechaungirl wrote:Can't be... memorial day is the 28th. They must be up to some other sort of nefarious plans.... WHAT ARE YOU UP TO SHIRT.WOOT?!?!?!?!

Memorial Day is on the 28th, making the 25th-28th Memorial Day Weekend.

Which is when the winners from this contest will print.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Triple = Zombie.

EDIT: OFFICIAL SONG FOR THIS DERBY- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
slacker44 wrote:I'm not an artist. But someone should do some kind of AA t-shirt reference unhappily sandwiched between Anvil and Gildan t-shirt references. That would make me laugh. Clearly three is a crowd. Any takers?

No dice, sorry. Woot-related shirts aren't allowed.

bounty42

Josephus wrote:You see, Linus Pauling, owner of 2 Nobel Prizes, thought he knew how D...oh, never mind.

Yeah, but the CGI visual in my head of the DNA uncurling and seperating for transcription, in blue and red sections with yellow conections, then this green strand floats in and starts rebinding with them, there's lots of flashes and green lightning. The camera pans out through bone, muscle, tissue, skin, and all along the way the material is pulsing, growing turning green. We finally get out to the exterior shot where we see the shirt rip, the green muscles breaking out. Quick zoom tight onto the eyes as they go from brown to Green.

So much cooler than a Nobel prize. Also a impossible to put on a shirt...

bounty42

j5 wrote:

Sunday ECS?

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb
j5 wrote:

Wouldn't THAT be nice.

j5

bounty42 wrote:Sunday ECS?

It's been oft proposed that Woot should print first and second place, then let an Editor's Choice print on Sunday.

This is just me speculating that it is coming to pass.

move along

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
j5 wrote:

I would LOVE this to happen. Perhaps some would finally get a chance that wouldn't normally see the light of day.

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

Now I have a break down of questions of my own:

1. Will this change to who prints from the derby winners be permanent, this weekend only, or a trial basis depending on community feedback?

2. Why the change up right now? Or is the answer tied to whatever woot has up their sleeves?

3. Will this impact the payout a daily person receives, or is this just incentive for people to put their best work forward, since it's possible the 3rd place finisher has been bombing? (I don't know if the numbers back this theory up)

4. Related to the theme of the derby: Does this feel like the Oddball, odd man out, awkward situations-esque derby again? Not that is a big complaint mind you. I just feel like I keep seeing this derby theme pop up a lot under different names or with a slight twist.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
bluejester wrote:... or is this just incentive for people to put their best work forward, since it's possible the 3rd place finisher has been bombing? (I don't know if the numbers back this theory up)

The numbers are all over the place. The breakfast mascot derby is a good indicator; 3rd place outsold and has outlasted 1st and 2nd.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
bluejester wrote:
4. Related to the theme of the derby: Does this feel like the Oddball, odd man out, awkward situations-esque derby again? Not that is a big complaint mind you. I just feel like I keep seeing this derby theme pop up a lot under different names or with a slight twist.

Yes. Yes it does. And every idea I've had so far has gone down that route...

j5

bluejester wrote:

They are not the same, but subtlety and nuance don't exist in derbytown, so yeah they are the same.

Also, does the new avatar for Wootbot indicate a different 'bot pilot?

move along

bounty42

Narfcake wrote:The numbers are all over the place. The breakfast mascot derby is a good indicator; 3rd place outsold and has outlasted 1st and 2nd.

Of the 27 current Shirts:
8 are 1st's
5 are 2nd's
4 are 3rd's

6 are non-padawan dailies

All winners Derby 248 and after are still in play.

Here's how the winners have faired:

Derby - Survived(weeks)
1st Place
242 - 4
243 - 0
244 - 1
245 - 5 (and in 8th)
246 - 4 (and in 3rd)
247 - 3 (and in 4th)
248 - 2 (and in 23rd)
249 - 1 (and in 10th)
250 - 0 (and in 20th)

2nd Place
242 - 3
243 - 0
244 - 0
245 - 3
246 - 0
247 - 2
248 - 2 (and in 11th)
249 - 1 (and in 13th)
250 - 0 (and in 22nd)

3rd Place
242 - 6
243 - 4
244 - 6 (and in 18th)
245 - 2
246 - 1
247 - 0
248 - 2 (and in 5th)
249 - 1 (and in 24th)
250 - 0 (and in 25th)