steveblack37


quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveblack37
noxandpy wrote:Ooookay - opinion time! Faces or no faces?



Faces. You get a sense that there's more of a shunning going on...

jasneko wrote:Here's what I've done so far... having trouble deciding which shirt color, if anyone likes it and has an opinion! (I also was considering baby blue and kelly green). Thanks!



I really like how it looks with the Green, but the blue looks nice too.


On a side note, after looking at these few ideas, I'm wishing there would be more not fewer winners this week

jboshaw


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
omarfeliciano wrote:I noticed that too, I just wanted to play with colors that could evoke "air" (as in breathing). Here is a version with your suggestions, any more thoughts?




just one: yeesssssss!

jboshaw


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
colinlepper wrote:

Man, 4 AM and Im FINALLY done! I can't decide on a name... I was thinking something like, the final countdown, or, the final showdown... anyone have suggestions??



very clever, but you're probably going to get smacked with the "no celebrity likenesses" rule.

steveblack37


quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveblack37


http://s9.postimage.org/hy47c2pb1/Untitled_2.jpg

My quite literal Three's a Crowd idea...

PixelPants


quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got. I was going to call it Sith You've Been Gone, but I'm pretty sure that name won't fly.


Untitled by Ape Lad, on Flickr



Short Straw
Always two there are

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
kevlar51 wrote:here's what i ended up working on. any thoughts are appreciated!

There's something about this that makes me really uncomfortable. It reminds me a bit of this controversy, but more generally, it reminds me of the faux-Asian-fetish-marketing-thing that I find offensive. I think it's the font that puts it over the top, IMHO... I feel fairly certain that you're not attempting to mock people of Chinese descent, but with such a recent history of (non-woot) pop-clothing companies doing so, it's certainly the first place that I went when I saw it.

I hate offering feedback that isn't particularly useful, but I really like your work and this design makes me truly uncomfortable. I don't know if a slightly less Asian-stereotype font would help; might make it seem less over-the-top mocking?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

dijay


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay

The Proposal for this derby. Do you think?

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
neuropsychosocial wrote:There's something about this that makes me really uncomfortable. It reminds me a bit of this controversy, but more generally, it reminds me of the faux-Asian-fetish-marketing-thing that I find offensive. I think it's the font that puts it over the top, IMHO... I feel fairly certain that you're not attempting to mock people of Chinese descent, but with such a recent history of (non-woot) pop-clothing companies doing so, it's certainly the first place that I went when I saw it.

I hate offering feedback that isn't particularly useful, but I really like your work and this design makes me truly uncomfortable. I don't know if a slightly less Asian-stereotype font would help; might make it seem less over-the-top mocking?



Thanks for the feedback! It certainly wasn't my intent to offend anyone. I'll go back to the drawing board on this derby.

bakerface22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakerface22
dijay wrote:The Proposal for this derby. Do you think?



Love the idea. Can't wait to see the final product

**Baker**

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
dijay wrote:The Proposal for this derby. Do you think?



Um... Unless you're going for the incest angle, Han Solo would never have a lightsaber.

And if you DID want that to be Luke...


EWW.

*end Star Wars Nerd Girl rant*

slacker44


quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44
nathanwpyle wrote:idea 3 - title suggestions welcom



Love it! Did you consider trying this on cranberry? Title suggestion: Ready Player Three

dijay


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
JadenKale wrote:Um... Unless you're going for the incest angle, Han Solo would never have a lightsaber.

And if you DID want that to be Luke...


EWW.

*end Star Wars Nerd Girl rant*



Yes, yes ... is Han Solo, of course: D. The light saber is just a lamp, but maybe you could be misleading...

Thanks Jaden ;)

paaiyan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan

Yeah... Make the table bigger and put a blaster on it or it just screams "Star Wars Incest"

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
midgerock wrote:cherries on the stem wouldn't be the bright maraschino color your requesting. wanted to go fo a more true color. but thanks for the feedback


I agree, but I was tailoring my feedback to what sells better at Woot vs. what makes for a better design

move along

zaydabarros


quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros
dijay wrote:The Proposal for this derby. Do you think?



I absolutely love it!

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
j5 wrote:I agree, but I was tailoring my feedback to what sells better at Woot vs. what makes for a better design



aye! I see what you mean but as soon as I do that there will be a contingent of people blasting the design for the wrong color. woot is such the catch-22. ;)

colinlepper


quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinlepper
jboshaw wrote:very clever, but you're probably going to get smacked with the "no celebrity likenesses" rule.



awww man did not know there was such a rule =(
well that was a waste of time...

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
midgerock wrote:aye! I see what you mean but as soon as I do that there will be a contingent of people blasting the design for the wrong color. woot is such the catch-22. ;)



Yeah, I guess scissor wielding cherries have to be a realistic color. LOL.

move along

colinlepper


quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinlepper

does anyone know if there is an email i address i can write to to find out if my design will be approved/ if it can be modified so it will be approved? It was like 12 hours of work =(

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
colinlepper wrote:does anyone know if there is an email i address i can write to to find out if my design will be approved/ if it can be modified so it will be approved? It was like 12 hours of work =(



Just submit it and take your chances. At least people will get to see it. It's quite funny!

colinlepper


quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinlepper
orabbit wrote:Just submit it and take your chances. At least people will get to see it. It's quite funny!



Ya my only issue is if it gets a simple," no celebrity likenesses" i won't know what to change or know to what extent I should change it, so I was wondering if theres someone out there who can give me an official "change this part".
oh and thankyou! lol

Thirdbase9


quality posts: 92 Private Messages Thirdbase9

Can I submit my procrastinator design for Derby #251: Personality Defects Illustrated?

I don't know.

erimock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erimock

Just messing around, but would this count as 'text only'? Not sure how strict that rule is.



I'm also new to the t-shirt design and would like advice about color reduction and half-toning.

Best I could do:

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
erimock wrote:Just messing around, but would this count as 'text only'? Not sure how strict that rule is.



I'm also new to the t-shirt design and would like advice about color reduction and half-toning.

Best I could do:



You will get rejected super fast. This is to much of a potty humor reference. Next it is pretty close to text only and may be in the super fine gray area. To help with coloring what program are you using? I tend to start with 6 or 7 layers each their own color and draw on the layer mask (at the end I end up with 6 or less layers because you can only have 6 or less colors). Drawing on the layer mask also makes it easier for halftoning in Gimp.

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

So this is my idea for the week it still may change a little, Third Wheel:

sombrillo


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sombrillo
neuropsychosocial wrote:There's something about this that makes me really uncomfortable. It reminds me a bit of this controversy, but more generally, it reminds me of the faux-Asian-fetish-marketing-thing that I find offensive. I think it's the font that puts it over the top, IMHO... I feel fairly certain that you're not attempting to mock people of Chinese descent, but with such a recent history of (non-woot) pop-clothing companies doing so, it's certainly the first place that I went when I saw it.

I hate offering feedback that isn't particularly useful, but I really like your work and this design makes me truly uncomfortable. I don't know if a slightly less Asian-stereotype font would help; might make it seem less over-the-top mocking?



How could an Asian style font be considered offensive or stereotypical? I don't get it.

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
erimock wrote:Just messing around, but would this count as 'text only'? Not sure how strict that rule is.



I'm also new to the t-shirt design and would like advice about color reduction and half-toning.

Best I could do:



I don't think it qualifies as text only, but it is grounds for an immediate rejection, as woot! likes to keep things as PG-13 as possible.

ibaitxo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibaitxo
dijay wrote:The Proposal for this derby. Do you think?



love it!

JJCool00


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJCool00
sombrillo wrote:How could an Asian style font be considered offensive or stereotypical? I don't get it.



It's not. Submit your design it was perfect as is. Some people are just too easily offended.

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks for the feedback! It certainly wasn't my intent to offend anyone. I'll go back to the drawing board on this derby.



NO! Don't do it! Submit it as is! Don't listen to somebody's cockamamie ideas!

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Thirdbase9 wrote:Can I submit my procrastinator design for Derby #251: Personality Defects Illustrated?



Resubmits have to be substantially revised.

But, TBH...if a design was in a previous derby, unrejected, and didn't get an honorable mention or finish in the top 5...What makes you think it's going to get more votes this round? I haven't looked at your submission, so don't take that as a jab, I'm just honestly wondering at the thinking.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Mavyn wrote:Resubmits have to be substantially revised.

But, TBH...if a design was in a previous derby, unrejected, and didn't get an honorable mention or finish in the top 5...What makes you think it's going to get more votes this round? I haven't looked at your submission, so don't take that as a jab, I'm just honestly wondering at the thinking.



Late submission?

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

SeedUvPain wrote:Three's a crowd



Wow, this is gorgeous. The style (shading, colours, "brush"-work) is really reminiscent of... hmm, maybe H.A. Rey? Or just very beautiful 70's kids book illo's. You know, the ones with the golden spines and this general style of art? In the best way.

cdrewlow


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Mavyn wrote:Resubmits have to be substantially revised.

But, TBH...if a design was in a previous derby, unrejected, and didn't get an honorable mention or finish in the top 5...What makes you think it's going to get more votes this round? I haven't looked at your submission, so don't take that as a jab, I'm just honestly wondering at the thinking.



I thought that was just a procrastination joke...

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
JJCool00 wrote:It's not. Submit your design it was perfect as is. Some people are just too easily offended.



Eh. I'll think about it. I really don't like the idea of offending people, but after sitting here for a while, I don't really think my design is in the same ballpark as those A&F designs, which made fun of people themselves.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
kevlar51 wrote:Eh. I'll think about it. I really don't like the idea of offending people, but after sitting here for a while, I don't really think my design is in the same ballpark as those A&F designs, which made fun of people themselves.



I was trying to figure out what was "offensive" about your design.... I came up with nothing.


Nothing follows.

erimock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erimock
tjschaeffer wrote:I don't think it qualifies as text only, but it is grounds for an immediate rejection, as woot! likes to keep things as PG-13 as possible.



Well, gotta push the boundaries... Maybe I could make it "Fantasy of the Beast" if orgy is too offensive.

erimock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erimock
shikausstan wrote:You will get rejected super fast. This is to much of a potty humor reference. Next it is pretty close to text only and may be in the super fine gray area. To help with coloring what program are you using? I tend to start with 6 or 7 layers each their own color and draw on the layer mask (at the end I end up with 6 or less layers because you can only have 6 or less colors). Drawing on the layer mask also makes it easier for halftoning in Gimp.



Well, I wouldn't call it 'potty' humor, but it might be too 'adult' for Woot. I was primarily using Illustrator (being more of an illustrator than an artist) and tried various bitmap editing applications. I've played with Gimp but am by no means an expert.

loridi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
kevlar51 wrote:Eh. I'll think about it. I really don't like the idea of offending people, but after sitting here for a while, I don't really think my design is in the same ballpark as those A&F designs, which made fun of people themselves.



That would be because you aren't in the same ballpark.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
dijay wrote:The Proposal for this derby. Do you think?



The lightsaber lamp is a bad bad idea!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."