loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
bluetuba wrote:The lightsaber lamp is a bad bad idea!

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I am a sucker for Original Trilogy, but I'd draw the line at something that implies Skywalker incest (even inadvertantly).

Change that little oppsie, and I can't wait to vote for it.

JJCool00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJCool00
kevlar51 wrote:Eh. I'll think about it. I really don't like the idea of offending people, but after sitting here for a while, I don't really think my design is in the same ballpark as those A&F designs, which made fun of people themselves.

Those A&F designs pose no relevance to your submission and it shouldn't of even have been brought up IMO. Those were offensive and made fun of things like and I quote: "faces with slanted eyes and rice-paddy hats." They also made fun of the way words are pronounced. There is nothing in your shirt that even applies to only the asian culture. Chopsticks? those are utilized by everyone, not just asians. The font? Doesn't even resemble any asian font that I recall. I actually think you did a good job of portraying this without being offensive.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
shikausstan wrote:Late submission?

This makes sense. As I said, I didn't look at their submission to know when it was thrown to the fray.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
kevlar51 wrote:Eh. I'll think about it. I really don't like the idea of offending people, but after sitting here for a while, I don't really think my design is in the same ballpark as those A&F designs, which made fun of people themselves.

As a partial Asian, I am not offended. However, I once designed an Asian style shirt that said, "Super Happy Fun City! Make Good Best Time There With My Cat!" So, my gauge for what is offensive to people might be a little off. ;)

Mavyn

BootsBoots wrote:As a partial Asian, I am not offended. However, I once designed an Asian style shirt that said, "Super Happy Fun City! Make Good Best Time There With My Cat!" So, my gauge for what is offensive to people might be a little off. ;)

And don't forget your super offensive Appalachian Library tee. ;) That one rocked! I'd totally have worn it while hiking the Appalachian trail.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
Mavyn wrote:And don't forget your super offensive Appalachian Library tee. ;) That one rocked! I'd totally have worn it while hiking the Appalachian trail.

Haha! That's one that I WILL get printed. I swear it.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
goldenthorn wrote:Wow, this is gorgeous. The style (shading, colours, "brush"-work) is really reminiscent of... hmm, maybe H.A. Rey? Or just very beautiful 70's kids book illo. You know, the ones with the golden spines and this general style of art? In the best way.

Thank you. That's very nice of you to say

Mavyn

BootsBoots wrote:Haha! That's one that I WILL get printed. I swear it.

LMK. I thought it rocked.

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
erimock wrote:Just messing around, but would this count as 'text only'? Not sure how strict that rule is.

I'm also new to the t-shirt design and would like advice about color reduction and half-toning.

Best I could do:

I can't help you with the artistic problems, but it's borderline I think on the "No Text Only" rule, and any sexual reference (orgy, 69) and satanic or other religious stuff will get you rejected.

If you search around a little you can find the derby rules and there's a post with a good rundown of the unofficial rules (no potty humor, no sex, no religious, no celeb likeness, ect..)

bluejester

quality posts: 556 Private Messages bluejester

I keep looking at it, and I'm not able to even force myself to see how this could be seen as offensive. It comes off to me more as something a soon-to-be-fired ad executive would come up with.

"Guys! Guys! I have it, the next big thing! This will totally make up for the inflatable dartboard debacle. So, you know how some people have difficulty grabbing food with chopsticks?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, how about we sell them a third chopstick for better handling?"

"What? I don't think that--"

"Yeah, and it'll be great. And we can make that third one stylish with cool patterns and--"

"Frank?"

"Um, what?"

"Start cleaning out your desk"

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
bluejester wrote:I keep looking at it, and I'm not able to even force myself to see how this could be seen as offensive. It comes off to me more as something a soon-to-be-fired ad executive would come up with.

I don't think this shirt is offensive. I think this shirt looks like other shirts, and those shirts were offensive. Therefore rebel scum 101 states that you must be offended by this shirt too.

Upside: while there's a certain base level to the voters here, there aren't enough rebel scums to matter.
PRINT THE SHIRT!
Also, I love the Cranberry color,a nd would like to see where on the shirt you plan on placing the design. I'll go look to see if it's there now....

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Common themes in this derby:

-Peas/Peapods
-Two player video games
-Oh, my Galaxy! so many Star Wars designs!!

I suspect Mario will soon be addable to this list. There are already two and I'm working on a Mario design that I hope to sub tonight...

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
tjschaeffer wrote:Common themes in this derby:

-Peas/Peapods
-Two player video games

I suspect Mario will soon be addable to this list. There are already two and I'm working on a Mario design that I hope to sub tonight...

Interestingly, though Turbunguin is a Trio, there's no Turbunguin designs yet...

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
bounty42 wrote:Interestingly, though Turbunguin is a Trio, there's no Turbunguin designs yet...

Maybe everyone thought that since a turbunguin won this week, the odds were slim for another win.

Also, a surprising number of Peanut Butter and/or Jelly designs.

bluejester

quality posts: 556 Private Messages bluejester
tjschaeffer wrote:Maybe everyone thought that since a turbunguin won this week, the odds were slim for another win.

Also, a surprising number of Peanut Butter and/or Jelly designs.

And a surprising lack of two clowns murdering another clown in a filthy basement. Sometimes I wish a designer would take woot up on their crazy ideas. I'd vote for it.

In all seriousness though, I wish Draxx and Crescent would come up with something for this one. I feel like there is potential for a darker, more gothic take on this derby theme, but it's just not being explored.

Not that I don't like what I see so far. It just seems like it has been a while since a more out and out grim design has seen the light of day here--so to speak.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
bluejester wrote:I keep looking at it, and I'm not able to even force myself to see how this could be seen as offensive. It comes off to me more as something a soon-to-be-fired ad executive would come up with.

"Guys! Guys! I have it, the next big thing! This will totally make up for the inflatable dartboard debacle. So, you know how some people have difficulty grabbing food with chopsticks?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, how about we sell them a third chopstick for better handling?"

"What? I don't think that--"

"Yeah, and it'll be great. And we can make that third one stylish with cool patterns and--"

"Frank?"

"Um, what?"

"Start cleaning out your desk"

Hahaha, you should post that in the Entry thread

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

The title is Cerberus Date, So what do you think?

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

here's my entry. I know... it's been a while.

On the Thirteenth Day...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bluejester wrote:In all seriousness though, I wish Draxx and Crescent would come up with something for this one. I feel like there is potential for a darker, more gothic take on this derby theme, but it's just not being explored.

To what end? Why would they bother?

move along

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

re: Kevlar's shirt:
An important clarification: I never said that I was "offended" by Kevlar's design; I said that it made me "uncomfortable." There's a world of difference between the two, just as there's a world of difference between Kevlar's design and the A&F campaign to which I linked. (I did use the word "offended" in my post when I said that it reminded me of the A&F campaign and similar marketing tactics [recent political campaign, which I witnessed first-hand], which I find offensive: grammatically, "which" modifies the immediate antecedent, not the subject of the sentence. Again, important difference.)

The reason why I thought the font was particularly problematic is because I think it's intended to remind one of the traditional hats worn in Asian cultures when working in rice paddies, as well as the traditional shape of pagoda architecture. This shape, very similar to the way it's used in the font Kevlar chose, was used in "Yellow Fever" propaganda to depict Chinese immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th Cent [and is still used in a similar fashion, to a certain extent]. (If you're not familiar with the history of Chinese immigration/discrimination against Chinese immigrants, especially in California, it's worth a bit of reading; it ranks in the "most shameful episodes of America's past.")

Fonts have a long history of being used to depict particularly ethnic groups. I am most familiar with this as it applies to fonts used to provoke a schematic association with "Asian" (slightly alternative perspective).

I think the choice of font was in bad taste, and I think the reliance on a font clearly intended to play into stereotyped "Chinese" iconography makes this a weak design - especially for Kevin, whose work I admire greatly. I think the design could have been improved by using a more straight-forward font with fewer connotations, and by adding some other visual element to communicate the story more effectively. Clearly, my opinion on this particular design is in the minority, but I do hope that my general point about design elements and fonts being used as visual "shortcut associations" with particular ethnic groups is considered - even as a separate point from this particular design.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

I change the title it is now Sometimes Life Sucks,
So what do you think of it NOW?

dijay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
bluetuba wrote:The lightsaber lamp is a bad bad idea!

Yes, it seems so. Only meant to be a nice complement to the room, but can lead to mistakes that we It's a trap to occur.

The finishing touches and will be ready to sub. Thanks again for the suggestions;)

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
tjschaeffer wrote:Common themes in this derby:

-Peas/Peapods
-Two player video games

I never realized before today how much I need a green pea shirt. Stiff competition though.

cmcdeac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmcdeac
citizencoyote wrote:Somebody so needs to do this.

I shudder at the thought of whatever "surprise" Woot has prepared for us this time.

I was just thinking how incredibly wrong yet awesome the clown-basement-murder would be!

Kidaho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kidaho

I didn't expect so many good designs in this one... it is such a specific topic. Love the peas in a pod. Very cute.

alanmedhurst

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanmedhurst

I wish I had some artistic talent. I was thinking of Freddie vs Jason on the 1st and 2nd places of a podium, with Leatherface off to one side with a pot of paint and a brush, having chainsawed off 3rd place.

thesnarticus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesnarticus

I'd love to see a desgin with some kids out on a date (like at the movies) with a parent tagging along...

tahu300

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tahu300

With the science theme, all an artist would have to do is create a Hydrogen atom with the Proton and Neutron happy in the middle and the Electron on the outside looking in sadly.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 82 Private Messages Thirdbase9

Wish I had some artistic talent...

Inspired by the Lewis & Clark & Steve.

Lois & Clark & Jimmy...

with a pic of Lois Lane, Clark Kent, and Jimmy Olson.

I don't know.

sunoki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunoki

Hello everyone,

I posted my first design yesterday... http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=63240. As I'm still new to the derby and designing if you could provide any thoughts and tips that would be highly appreciated. I did mostly because I didn't see any design approaching that...

Kind regards,

Sunoki

[url]http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=63240[/url/