baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
wirdou wrote:Well, I'm not feeling very inspired today, but these are some rough sketches I have. Do you like any of them? Thanks!

(Rockymike I prefer light blue too!)

A stick insect who has just put a "dogs forbidden" sign

And the perfect camouflage

I like the perfect camouflage.

I might actually try to draw something for this derby...my question is with no real graphics program, is it possible to scan something into Elements and still make it work? Also, is it one submission only, or can you submit more than one? Sorry, I'm kinda padawany...

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Here's what I'm toying with this time around. It won't be done until tomorrow night, but I wanted to get it out there and see how it plays. Thanks for looking!

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
SeedUvPain wrote:Here's what I'm toying with this time around. It won't be done until tomorrow night, but I wanted to get it out there and see how it plays. Thanks for looking!

Epic! I'm sure with your talent, it'll look amazing. How did you get the pastel/charcoal texture in your entry last week? A photoshop bristle brush, or a texture overlay, or what?

Here's a super crude sketch. It's a Jitterbug. He'll probably be in a cubicle break room. Funny?

margiecakes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margiecakes
noxandpy wrote:Nox's mama is visiting her from English-land this week, so we're out. I have a couple of fun ideas surrounding Mantids and Widows if anyone wants them. PM me. ~Py

Yes, yes, mantids! I love mantids. I even have one tattooed on my arm.

I kind of love insects in general, and am really excited for this derby. If all goes well, I could see buying all three winners.

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
wirdou wrote:Well, I'm not feeling very inspired today, but these are some rough sketches I have. Do you like any of them? Thanks!

(Rockymike I prefer light blue too!)

A stick insect who has just put a "dogs forbidden" sign

And the perfect camouflage

Aaaah man, i had the same idea as the perfect camouflage one!

Love the way you did it though dude, it's really nice :D

SeedUvPain

orabbit wrote:Epic! I'm sure with your talent, it'll look amazing. How did you get the pastel/charcoal texture in your entry last week? A photoshop bristle brush, or a texture overlay, or what?

Here's a super crude sketch. It's a Jitterbug. He'll probably be in a cubicle break room. Funny?

I was actually toying with a new coloring technique and sort of stumbled into that one. I just found a dry bristle brush set, put the 'brush transfer' setting to pen pressure on the opacity jitter, and treated it like a canvas. Everything was done on the computer from beginning to end, and i'm glad that people noticed the textures.

Incidentally, I like the jitterbug. Throw in more coffee and I think you got a winner

margiecakes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margiecakes
kevlar51 wrote:I like how "(But Not Worms, Because Gross)" is part of the Derby theme itself, and not just a rule or part of the write-up.

Psst. I'm wearing your "Trivial Matters" shirt today, and everyone LOVED it. I got so many compliments, even from my students who have never played or seen Trivial Pursuit and had to have it explained.

*thumbs up*

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
margiecakes wrote:Psst. I'm wearing your "Trivial Matters" shirt today, and everyone LOVED it. I got so many compliments, even from my students who have never played or seen Trivial Pursuit and had to have it explained.

*thumbs up*

Thanks so much!!!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
SeedUvPain wrote:Here's what I'm toying with this time around. It won't be done until tomorrow night, but I wanted to get it out there and see how it plays. Thanks for looking!

That's awesome!

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I'll be submitting, probably with a different title. Right now it's called "sounds like crap."

Untitled by Ape Lad, on Flickr

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
lyonscc wrote:

I like the concept, but it needs a centipede and a missing sock imo.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Is this clear enough. I'm thinking of calling it TOUCHDOWN. Yea, Nay, trash it?

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
tjost wrote:Is this clear enough. I'm thinking of calling it TOUCHDOWN. Yea, Nay, trash it?

I like it, I was thinking of a praying mantis in church thing too! Back to the drawing board, lol

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

Here's what I've got so far:

Gotta redraw/clean up the web and scarf, but I think the spider is pretty much done. :3 Thoughts? Suggestions? This is my first derby, so I'm all ears!!

orabbit

ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be submitting, probably with a different title. Right now it's called "sounds like crap."

Really great. Your style reminds me of the visual puzzles in Games magazine. Did you ever illustrate for them?

dreadwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood

Does anyone have a preference? I'm also open to background colors to try. Or even completely different color schemes. Thanks!

Edit: I'm not sure why the webs are so faded in both pictures; they're darker in my file.

noblehappenstance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noblehappenstance

Im working on what I will call "The Corporate Hive". My setup here I did with some 3D modeling, but I have now given myself a headache as to how to draw these little guys in the right perspective to go in the scene...

any perspective gurus want to team up or something?

Rake This![/url]

dreadwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
noblehappenstance wrote:Im working on what I will call "The Corporate Hive". My setup here I did with some 3D modeling, but I have now given myself a headache as to how to draw these little guys in the right perspective to go in the scene...

any perspective gurus want to team up or something?

Holy cow, it looks like you've put a lot of work into this. It really looks great and it's an awesome idea. Sorry you ran into a hitch, I'd hate to see all of your work go to waste. Best of luck!

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

Currently working on "Campfire Fly"
Thoughts? Too weird?

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

Ants on a Picnic

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
orabbit wrote:Really great. Your style reminds me of the visual puzzles in Games magazine. Did you ever illustrate for them?

I never did, but now that you mention it, I remember those fondly. Some of the visual puns were incredibly hard, especially if there was a contest involved. It would be interesting to revisit them and see if I could figure them out now that I'm significantly older.

orabbit

ApeLad wrote:I never did, but now that you mention it, I remember those fondly. Some of the visual puns were incredibly hard, especially if there was a contest involved. It would be interesting to revisit them and see if I could figure them out now that I'm significantly older.

I have a subscription, and it's definitely easier than when I was a kid. I can finish Cryptic Crosswords now, which used to give me a headache. Actually, they still give me a headache, but at least I can solve them.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
kevlar51 wrote:Currently working on "Campfire Fly"
Thoughts? Too weird?

like it, however, WAY too much halftonage...lines, keep solid lines. halftone the glow if you have too...

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

My ideas are ALL based in pop culture :/ ...totally want to do a "Firefly" reference...ugh... I would do the ship with wings in jungle with a t-rex and stegosaurus battling in the distance.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
lyonscc wrote:

I think this will need explanation without text on the shirt.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
axphw1 wrote:Ants on a Picnic

I think they need something crawling on their tablecloth. It's only fair.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be submitting, probably with a different title. Right now it's called "sounds like crap."

Untitled by Ape Lad, on Flickr

This reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of short animation ever, "One Man Band," so the first title that comes to mind is "One Cricket Band." (Is that a cricket?)

(If anyone watches that video, hang around through the credits: it comes back.)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

g33kymonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g33kymonkey

I love it.

jlsinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlsinger

Hey I just finished my shirt design, and wanted to get some feedback. I'm thinking of titling it Clockwork Monarch. Let me know what you think.

steveblack37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveblack37

Do numbers count as text?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
SeedUvPain wrote:Here's what I'm toying with this time around.

Nice work! I was doing the same idea...but a little different. I should have known it would be a popular concept :P.

bottlehed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bottlehed

Here's a quick rough sketch of what I'm thinking of doing. Not sure if it's funny enough though.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

I really like what I'm seeing, specially tjost mantids, and that mechanic moth (and speedUVpain's dragonfly could be spectacular too). This is my first entry (probably I will make a second one...). I think I'm gonna name it..."just a ladybug"

grisca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grisca
steveblack37 wrote:Do numbers count as text?

Yes.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
jlsinger wrote:Hey I just finished my shirt design, and wanted to get some feedback. I'm thinking of titling it Clockwork Monarch. Let me know what you think.

Nice design on cranberry, this will get my vote.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
lyonscc wrote:

I agree with others, you should have a millipede/centipede hanging up the last few socks.

move along

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
kevlar51 wrote:Currently working on "Campfire Fly"
Thoughts? Too weird?

It's probably too late, but I'm not fond of the blue glow. Too cold. May as well be a curly-bulb.....oh!....hmmmm.

move along

foxbite

quality posts: 13 Private Messages foxbite

....yeah bugs...no.
Avoiding Woot for the next 2 weeks or so.

SeedUvPain

ochopika wrote:Nice work! I was doing the same idea...but a little different. I should have known it would be a popular concept :P.

Thanks! I knew I wouldn't be the only to realize that dragonfly has the word dragon in it, which is why i posted it up in here early. Not to call dibs, mind you...just to show everyone that I wasn't copying everyone else with the same idea when I inevitably post the final design later tonight. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

orabbit

SeedUvPain wrote:I was actually toying with a new coloring technique and sort of stumbled into that one. I just found a dry bristle brush set, put the 'brush transfer' setting to pen pressure on the opacity jitter, and treated it like a canvas. Everything was done on the computer from beginning to end, and i'm glad that people noticed the textures.

Incidentally, I like the jitterbug. Throw in more coffee and I think you got a winner

Hey, thanks for sharing your "secrets". I hope you don't get kicked out of the Alliance for revealing that.