JMuskovitz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JMuskovitz

Sadly, the best thing about the shirt is the completely obscure reference to two of my hometowns. The design is disappointing, though. If Douglas Adams were still with us, he'd just shake his head, and then have the BBC sue the hell out of you.

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44
pyromosh wrote:I feel awful for Louisiana, Arkansas, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Tennessee, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

It's been up for almost an hour and no sales from those states.

Clearly they lack culture.

We should start a charity to send them Douglas Adams' books.

We can get get Sally Struthers or some kind of celeb spokesperson.

"For just 30 cents a day, you can sponsor a Nebraskan and bring them the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. Won't you make that call?"

North Dakota represent! We got culture yes we do! We got culture how 'bout you?!

toycardriver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages toycardriver

Home.woot should really be selling towels today to tie in.

And I got post 42!

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
nathanwpyle wrote:This awesome Hitchhiker's design was made in January, months before Ramy's awesome READ design! Both are awesome.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/395676/The_Answer_to_Life_the_Universe_and_Everything

CONGRATS to my brother Gabriel

I didn't mean to take way from the artist here. Thanks for sharing the link to the original sub. I'm not surprised Gabriel was the first. I can only imagine the time that he put into this from concept to completion.

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht
pyromosh wrote:As for the movie, I've seen both the old 70s one and the Mos Def version. Neither referenced anything that I didn't remember from the book (though both left things out).

I was referring to things the book had, but the movies did not (although nothing immediately comes to mind, so maybe they did a better job than I remember).

Craigmar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Craigmar

It would get pretty annoying having to explain this shirt to everyone you meet. That's how obsure it is.

windstirrer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages windstirrer

I love this shirt so much, but I find myself searching and scouring the numbers for a pot of petunias!! Where are the petunias falling from the sky!! Where are the suspiciously unsuprised petunias!And there is your pointlessly offended post of the day.

calvin92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calvin92
badboypolar wrote:I almost bought it but then I realized there is no reference for Marvin. 42 cannot be achieved without Marvin.

Though I wish they put Marvin in as well...its kind of ironic that they left him out.

beezer544

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beezer544
dachshund51288 wrote:so long and thanks for all the fish!

Yes! Thank you to all who knew the likely reference to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and the answer to everything is.....42. Love it!!

windstirrer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages windstirrer

The valedictorian at the local school in my town this year finished off his speech by saying farewell with a nerdtastic set of references:
"Live long and prosper, so long and thanks for all the fish, and may be the odds be ever in your favor." A little something for everybody! Awesome graduation speech!!

ripple23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ripple23

Wear this shirt: if you want to be friends with the ground. Hello Ground!

Don't wear this shirt: if you feel like a sofa

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux
noahz wrote:7x6

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Momster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Momster

Although I am female, I have embraced my mortality and when asked "How old are you?" This year I am able to reply, "I am the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything."

Unfortunately, there seems to be an underprivileged portion of society who have no idea what I am saying and find my answer incredibly arrogant.

Alas, I am torn on whether to purchase yet another woot shirt.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
bluejester wrote:Although I like a good nod to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I wish this was a Ray Bradbury tribute instead because of his passing the other day.

Getting a shirt to print in 24 hours is rough, especially since they need to contract out an artist. Maybe one tomorrow, if today's derby isn't Bradbury.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

noahz wrote:7x6

9x6 actually.

The universe operates in base13.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

TheGolux wrote:What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Base13 - Where 9x6=42. FWIW, Addams denies that he intended this to be so obvious, and that it's pure happenstance that it works out at all.

To honor Slydon's "Pet Theory" thread, here's another cool co-inky-dink, 42 base13 is best expressed as a deck of playing cards, there being 4 suits of 13 cards, and 2 jokers. Poker cards were used in the Deadlands RPG to make deals with the loa to gain magical powers. In Deadlands: Hell on Earth, it was revealed that when the loa won a hand of poker, they used the power to fuel the 4 horsemen, who later reclaimed the world. So in that setting too the earth was destroyed by the answer and question, just in different forms.

bounty42

I will now suggest that Woot make some code that automatically merges multiple posts, point out that there are 5 now, this one inclusive, and go to bed.

I'll see how many are left tomorrow morning.

Also, I think this may be the first Anvil to Sell Out.

kelleypenic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelleypenic
dcroe05 wrote:-1 Quiet Protest. Sorry, has to be done.

It isn't a "fish shirt" it is a Hitch Hikers Guide shirt and if you read it you will know the dolphins are leaving the planet and the improbability drive turned a bowl of petunias into a whale... wow, I need to get out more.

wrwine3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wrwine3
vielleicht wrote:I was referring to things the book had, but the movies did not (although nothing immediately comes to mind, so maybe they did a better job than I remember).

I took a towel to the movie when it opened. Unfortunately, the movie barely referenced its importance.

Thank god I didn't own a dressing gown at the time.

I think the only greater travesty in the H2G2 universe other than the movie was that book that shall not be named.

darianwiccan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darianwiccan
bounty42 wrote:I will now suggest that Woot make some code that automatically merges multiple posts, point out that there are 5 now, this one inclusive, and go to bed.

I'll see how many are left tomorrow morning.

Also, I think this may be the first Anvil to Sell Out.

Anvil? *thoroughly confused*

highwyre237

quality posts: 6 Private Messages highwyre237
badboypolar wrote:I almost bought it but then I realized there is no reference for Marvin. 42 cannot be achieved without Marvin.

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they don't include me on their shirt. Call that job satisfaction, 'cause I don't.

drgandalf

quality posts: 17 Private Messages drgandalf

Now please sell a towel with this on it!

Scarabkafer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scarabkafer

If this was in almost any other color I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Black shirts dont fare well in a house with cats...

jthroop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jthroop

Although the question "What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?" on the back of the shirt would have completed the picture, perhaps that would have taken away the mystery. I'm definitely in although it is getting to the point that I need a separate closet to house my woot! shirts. I don't want to go totally confessional, but their number definitely exceeds this universal answer.

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr

Love it! Finally a shirt my husband might even get! I'm slowly turning into a tshirt wearer one woot shirt at a time.

Great job on this one!

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

Duukdkarn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Duukdkarn
sbgraber wrote:For those of you unaware, this is an expertly done shirt with references to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which the answer to Love, Life, and the Universe is 42.

Woot, you really need to either stop figuring out things that I like, or help me raise funds to buy a vast quantity of your shirts.

You mean "answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything". There is also a google easter egg. Search the phrase I quoted.

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi

I claimed to have frozen my age at 42 so that I could claim to be the answer "to life, the universe, and everything". How could I not buy this?

Gah! Two days in a row. If tomorrow's shirt involves yet another of my weaknesses...

terapn01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terapn01
ThunderThighs wrote:That's kinda hard since our shirt sales are planned ahead of time. Sorry.

I missed that. What a loss to society. Thanks for letting me know.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

+1

This was almost an instant buy for me, but then I hesitated after actually looking at the pictures. Here is what turned me off of buying it:

• Lack of Marvin the robot
  • The object look like they could have been better drawn.
  • Too much and too little. There is too much going on which would be fine if they were all great references. Unfortunately, some are a stretch. for example, am I to assume the Mac looking computer is Deep Thought?
  • Without a clearly more "commercial" looking collection of pieces, this might be mistaken for a Jackie Robinson moniker because his number is worn on every jersey on Jackie Robinson Day. That is why the art is SOOOO critical.

jlc40

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jlc40

I MUST HAVE IT.

First Anvil purchase... fingers crossed.

WoadWarrior

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WoadWarrior
Momster wrote:when asked "How old are you?" This year I am able to reply, "I am the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything."

I did that when I turned 42, and used the phrase for the entire year. I was quite surprised at how many people got it. Then again, most of the people I know are rather geeky.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

Even though it isn't in the book, it would have been interesting to have seen a pair of dice thrown in.

Also for a fun fact, copy and paste this into your google search bar:

the answer to life the universe and everything

tcshadow2005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcshadow2005

The answer to the meaning of life you ask? to buy this shirt, oh and 42!!!!!

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

I'm still confused as to what the question is.

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

ciaralee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ciaralee
TheGolux wrote:What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Do you know what this means? mourner up.--Unfortunately, mourner up is not what I intended to say. C o c k up doesn't mean anymore what it used to.

kmerwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmerwin

No Marvin and no pot of petunias?

ciaralee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ciaralee
auctionsaver wrote:+1

• Too much and too little. There is too much going on which would be fine if they were all great references. Unfortunately, some are a stretch. for example, am I to assume the Mac looking computer is Deep Thought?

• I think the computer is actually Eddie, on the Heart of Gold.

basharoftheages

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basharoftheages
    vielleicht wrote:I was referring to things the book had, but the movies did not (although nothing immediately comes to mind, so maybe they did a better job than I remember).

The whole landing on Vogsphere part with the fly swatters and having to fill out the forms in that DMV-like place... and that laser gun thing.

I only read the books once, but I'm pretty sure that was all created for the movie. It sure wasn't in the original source - the radio dramas.

ginbak

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ginbak
    Scarabkafer wrote:If this was in almost any other color I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Black shirts dont fare well in a house with cats...

I bought it anyway (white dog).

SturmB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SturmB

Curse you, Woot! You're going to bankrupt me!