ginbak

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ginbak
Momster wrote:Although I am female, I have embraced my mortality and when asked "How old are you?" This year I am able to reply, "I am the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything."

Unfortunately, there seems to be an underprivileged portion of society who have no idea what I am saying and find my answer incredibly arrogant.

Alas, I am torn on whether to purchase yet another woot shirt.

Me too! I kept waiting for the secrets of the universe to open up for me on my birthday this year, but after a while I forgot what I was waiting for.

orabbit

quality posts: 30 Private Messages orabbit

This shirt reminds me that the answer is nothing without the question.

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria

I maybe the only one but I'm glad they didn't add Marvin to the design. My favorite Marvin is the one from the tv series but most folks would only recognize the movie Marvin and I didn't like his look at all. So I'm just as glad we don't have Marvin or Zaphod or any of the cast in the design.

And.. in for 2. Woot is out to drain my bank account but I'll look great when it happens!

madecki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madecki

This shirt is 12 days late...

nikkipoooo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nikkipoooo

Woot might be getting the hang of Thursdays.

kitcatbrat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat

I flolloped when I saw this

alburnkat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alburnkat

I agree this should have come out on Towel Day last week. Also I'm surprised that the first reference to the Original Radio series wasn't until the end of the second page of commits.

I think having an Apple on Eddie is great because Douglas had had every computer they made.

One last thing, Douglas was also took part in writing the movies' screenplay, and if you listened to the radio series and read the books you would be aware that he added, delete and just plan changed many elements of the story. In fact it was the Director of the UK miniseries (1981) that keep Arther in his bathrobe and Douglas like the idea that in the fallowing books Arthur is still in his bathrobe.

nafsllib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nafsllib

I wanted this shirt since I first saw it posted on Threadless. I even created a threadless account, just so I could vote for this design.

Yes, Woot I will purchase one, however I must say the original design on Threadless was much, much better, there were more references to the books and fewer fish.

Also, I will join the ranks of those who feel there should be a Marvin reference.

Now If I could just find that other denial, I've longed for...

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/59896/the-most-even-prime-number

hjs521

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hjs521

Wow, good eye Geoff.

GeoffHayward wrote:"... you cannot afford perfect."

I spy a Ford Prefect hiding in that tee shirt description. Well played Woot, well played.

Now there's a site that knows where its towel is.

morpheus282

quality posts: 6 Private Messages morpheus282
pyromosh wrote:
As for the movie, I've seen both the old 70s one and the Mos Def version. Neither referenced anything that I didn't remember from the book (though both left things out).

The Point of View Gun, Humma Kavula, the visit to Vogsphere, and several other plot points were all written into the 2005 movie and don't appear anywhere else. If Douglas could have been more involved with the film I'm sure he would have made a few other changes to keep things fresh.

SilverStar8403

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SilverStar8403

I own a different shirt with a very similar design. It's by RikkiB, who has had a few designs printed by Woot in the past (some of my favorite shirts, actually). You can find it here:

http://www.mysoti.com/mysoti/designer/rikkib/product/519501/RikkiB--tshirt--42

pojster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pojster
bpr2 wrote:Why are there whales and dolphins on a fish shirt?!

WHALES AND DOLPHINS ARE SEA MAMMALS!

Um..."So Long and thanks for all the fish" is the last message from the dolphins before they left Earth just before it got blown up. They are just aliens visiting us.

morpheus282

kelleypenic wrote:It isn't a "fish shirt" it is a Hitch Hikers Guide shirt and if you read it you will know the dolphins are leaving the planet and the improbability drive turned a bowl of petunias into a whale... wow, I need to get out more.

When the improbability drive was turned on without a destination programmed, two missiles launched from the surface of the planet Magrathea were turned into a bowl of petunias and a very surprised looking sperm whale.

morpheus282

For those who still don’t get the design…

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42 (Google it if you don’t believe me) and the question is currently unknown. There are many hypothesized questions (“How many roads must a man walk down?”, “What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?”, “What’s yellow and dangerous?”, etc.), but none of these have been confirmed. There is one theory that states that the question and the answer cannot simultaneously exist in the same universe and that if the question is ever discovered that the universe will wink out of existence and be instantly replaced by something even more strange. Another theory states that this has already happened at least once.

Right then, off I go.

whirlygirly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages whirlygirly
Scarabkafer wrote:If this was in almost any other color I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Black shirts dont fare well in a house with cats...

You should get a black cat.

claygirlsings

quality posts: 1 Private Messages claygirlsings
windstirrer wrote:I love this shirt so much, but I find myself searching and scouring the numbers for a pot of petunias!! Where are the petunias falling from the sky!! Where are the suspiciously unsuprised petunias!And there is your pointlessly offended post of the day.

"Oh no, not again." The poor petunias were also sadly lacking from the Existential Whale shirt awhile back - http://shirt.woot.com/offers/existential-whale

lilnursey84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lilnursey84

this reminds me of my cthulhu shirt i bought here, i understand what it means but nobody else gets it

when life gives you lemons, squirt life in the eye!

Narcissica

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Narcissica
ginbak wrote:Me too! I kept waiting for the secrets of the universe to open up for me on my birthday this year, but after a while I forgot what I was waiting for.

Make sure you have a PanGalactic Get Together, and drink lots of Ginnan Tonyx

pojster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pojster
morpheus282 wrote:The Point of View Gun, Humma Kavula, the visit to Vogsphere, and several other plot points were all written into the 2005 movie and don't appear anywhere else. If Douglas could have been more involved with the film I'm sure he would have made a few other changes to keep things fresh.

In many things I heard in written interviews, introductions, even at a live lecture I saw him at, every time Hitchhiker's was done in a different medium (radio, book, game, movie, another movie, etc.) it was changed. No two versions are exactly alike. They all fit some sort of story line, but every story is different.

tnode192

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tnode192
ThunderThighs wrote:Whoa, worst thing?

Explain which image you mean... the one at the top of this page?

I think he means that clicking the image in the front page used to bring up a nice large art page that we could see the detail of the shirt up close. Now the little pic on the main page is all we get. I kinda miss that feature myself.

robertnpmk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertnpmk

I nearly bought it until I realised that all the references are from the film.

Which is the worst version of HHGTTG.

MEH

believeinbeauty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages believeinbeauty
pyromosh wrote:I feel awful for Louisiana, Arkansas, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Tennessee, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

It's been up for almost an hour and no sales from those states.

Clearly they lack culture.

We should start a charity to send them Douglas Adams' books.

We can get get Sally Struthers or some kind of celeb spokesperson.

"For just 30 cents a day, you can sponsor a Nebraskan and bring them the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. Won't you make that call?"

*sadface* Not all of us...

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
darianwiccan wrote:Anvil? *thoroughly confused*

15 weeks ago Woot started switching from American Apparel brand shirts to Anvil brand shirts. Since this change
A) hundreds of hawt gurls have wept tears of shame that womens sizes are now "huge tents with massive neck holes" rather than comprable to what we once sold 10 y/o boys.
2) All the kids sizes have shrank 20-30% in length
III) in 15 weeks the only shirts to hit 6000 sales on day 1 were all printed 100% on AA blanks.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
madecki wrote:This shirt is 12 days late...

A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

earl42install

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earl42install

Me Likey.

ndhoultzhouser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndhoultzhouser

Wish I could get this shirt, alas it is too big.

kerrykazan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kerrykazan

Momster, Just buy it. It will make you smile everytime you wear it, even when you turn 43.

Momster wrote:Although I am female, I have embraced my mortality and when asked "How old are you?" This year I am able to reply, "I am the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything."

Unfortunately, there seems to be an underprivileged portion of society who have no idea what I am saying and find my answer incredibly arrogant.

Alas, I am torn on whether to purchase yet another woot shirt.

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05

This shirt goes well with my license plate.

sanderclan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sanderclan

It would be perfect if it came in YELLOW!

Sanderclan

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

...yes. Those are all things that were in the movie, and not in the book. I was referring to things that were in the book, but NOT the movie.

basharoftheages wrote:The whole landing on Vogsphere part with the fly swatters and having to fill out the forms in that DMV-like place... and that laser gun thing.

I only read the books once, but I'm pretty sure that was all created for the movie. It sure wasn't in the original source - the radio dramas.

Derekl999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Derekl999
lilnursey84 wrote:this reminds me of my cthulhu shirt i bought here, i understand what it means but nobody else gets it

You need to hang around with some cooler people then! If you are referring to the Cthulhu BBQ shirt, I've even see a few random people walking around wearing them.

Granted, a few of them were attending a RIFFTRAX Live at the movies, but STILL!

jspaziante

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jspaziante

If you wear this around a baseball fan, be prepared when they ask you what the objects/animals have to do with Jackie Robinson.

In his honor, #42 was retired from professional baseball in 1997. I'm not sure if this applies to other galaxies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/sports/baseball/15rivera.html

gabejanzen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gabejanzen
Scarabkafer wrote:If this was in almost any other color I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Black shirts dont fare well in a house with cats...

Me too...

gabejanzen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gabejanzen
dcroe05 wrote:This shirt goes well with my license plate.

You are so cool!

selune13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages selune13
thebiggyle wrote:Thanks for the love, all!

Here's a larger version for your to fulfill your all your perusal desires!

And yes, the bowl of petunias is in the left slope of the 2!

Love! I think the threadless one is pretty cool, as well. Any chance for a large version of that?

sunshine49046

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunshine49046

Because the dolphins are smarter than us and leave by their own means just before the destruction of the earth. Also author dent hits the improbability drive button which transforms a couple of bikes into a bowl of petunias (agrajag) and a suprised looking sperm whale.

bpr2 wrote:Why are there whales and dolphins on a fish shirt?!

WHALES AND DOLPHINS ARE SEA MAMMALS!

sunshine49046

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunshine49046

Oh Belgium. I missed out.

baker347

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baker347

OMGOODNES, this is my favorite comment to make when someone asked me a question ( I have a question, me: 42), I find it hilarious, my friends not so much . . .

I total would buy this in a tote bag, so woot people please make it so!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

I bet he won an award for designing those fjords.

searbet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searbet
ste7enl wrote:I bet he won an award for designing those fjords.

Slartibartfast, indeed! In for one (with a bonus because my H.S. crush's football number was also 42! : )