drgandalf

quality posts: 17 Private Messages drgandalf
whirlygirly wrote:You should get a black cat.

Luna, our black and white tuxedo cat knows how to shed her white hairs on black cloth, and black hairs on white cloth. She is quite a talented cat. She is seen in the photo above hovering over one of my Bags of Crap.

chrisfromiowa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chrisfromiowa

Am I correct in thinking this will be delivered by some kind of WootVogon interface?

Iowa, come for the corn, stay for the dead zone creating topsoil, silt, and nitrogen runoff.
The generic avatar kind of looks like me already. Except my knife is bigger, well not longer but thicker. A lot thicker really.

drgandalf

quality posts: 17 Private Messages drgandalf
ndhoultzhouser wrote:Wish I could get this shirt, alas it is too big.

Too big? You wear a shirt smaller than a kid's size K4 small, which is 13" chest?

chrisfromiowa

Has anyone mentioned the bizarre thirteen day late tie in to international towel day? Or is this a three month less four day late birthday commemoration? This BTW would make an awesome Towel Day towel. A nice thick terrycloth, although black towels are usually crap so it would have to be reversed color wise. And a nice towel might be useful in the northern hemisphere summer we have coming up.

Iowa, come for the corn, stay for the dead zone creating topsoil, silt, and nitrogen runoff.
The generic avatar kind of looks like me already. Except my knife is bigger, well not longer but thicker. A lot thicker really.

midwestrpe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midwestrpe

No towel? And which one is the babblefish?

sbee619

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sbee619
sbgraber wrote:For those of you unaware, this is an expertly done shirt with references to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which the answer to Love, Life, and the Universe is 42.

Woot, you really need to either stop figuring out things that I like, or help me raise funds to buy a vast quantity of your shirts.

"Life, the Universe, and Everything"

sbee619

midwestrpe wrote:No towel? And which one is the babblefish?

There's a towel, up top on the 4. And the Babelfish is next to the computer at the bottom/middle of the 4.

sbee619

polkastria wrote:I maybe the only one but I'm glad they didn't add Marvin to the design. My favorite Marvin is the one from the tv series but most folks would only recognize the movie Marvin and I didn't like his look at all. So I'm just as glad we don't have Marvin or Zaphod or any of the cast in the design.

And.. in for 2. Woot is out to drain my bank account but I'll look great when it happens!

The TV series Marvin was actually in the film. He was queued and can be seen when Arthur brings Marvin's arm to the desk and we see him from the Vogon's perspective, looking positively miserable in that slow-moving queue. Not that anyone would recognize him from that, but it was a sort of easter egg for long-time fans.

teeveesfrank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teeveesfrank

Hmm...I kept getting server errors and it looks like I've ordered 3 shirts. Wow, the new woot charges you hella fast.

niceum

quality posts: 3 Private Messages niceum

Your site sucks for seeing what's actually on the t-shirts since you changed the layout.

joneyalone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joneyalone

TALK NERDY TO ME! I am a huge Douglas Adams fan. Unlike some of the other wooters, I DO like this on the black, but not really big about this as a tshirt, would love to see it on the back of a hoodie (<-woot, take note :-))

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria
sbee619 wrote:The TV series Marvin was actually in the film. He was queued and can be seen when Arthur brings Marvin's arm to the desk and we see him from the Vogon's perspective, looking positively miserable in that slow-moving queue. Not that anyone would recognize him from that, but it was a sort of easter egg for long-time fans.

Yeah, I saw him in the line.. it was one of the few bright spots in the film for me. Most of the time I spent muttering about Tillian being Tricia too often and the way they handled Zaphod's two heads so that they could cop out when they felt like it. I was not a happy fan when I left the theater.

chrisfromiowa

niceum wrote:Your site sucks for seeing what's actually on the t-shirts since you changed the layout.

Here here. I like being able to see what on woot ramen while I'm on woot classic but the whole new image scheme needs work. I loved being able to lightbox the shirt image to view it without distraction.

nursedoggett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nursedoggett

This shirt would be great if it had ANYTHING ELSE on it. I HATED this book in high school. I don't know why either, I love most books. This one just irritated me for some reason.

wrwine3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wrwine3

*sigh*

I was going to buy a shirt (or three) but then I remembered how I answered the poll question asking about the new layout. I replied "It’s awful! I’m gone!".

The fact I was looking for the poll and had to use google to find it leads me to believe my original assessment was correct. The new layout is as useful as accidentally change down from fourth to first instead of third thus making your engine leap out of your hood in a rather ugly
mess.

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5020295&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=604

I see I am in the minority though.

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB
Casper42 wrote:For essentially Black and White (monotone) Shirt designs, would it be at all possibly to offer them in different base colors?

There is something about Black shirts that just bugs me and I would have loved to have seen this in Blue or Grey or almost any other color really.

I agree. I've retired my black shirts for the summer. I need lighter colored options.

ETA - Despite this, I did go in for two--one for my brother and the other for my husband. I'm stashing the latter for his 42nd birthday.

accidentlyevil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages accidentlyevil
JMuskovitz wrote:Sadly, the best thing about the shirt is the completely obscure reference to two of my hometowns. The design is disappointing, though. If Douglas Adams were still with us, he'd just shake his head, and then have the BBC sue the hell out of you.

Woot for finding other Wooters in my vicinity! I also claim one of these as my hometown.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
This shirt tells the world: "I bet I can get you to guess my favorite book using just two numbers."

And.it.really.IS.my.most.favoritist.book.of.all.time!!!!

Can't believe I forgot to check here this morning before leaving. Just got in about an hour ago and realized I'd forgotten. As soon as I saw this, I seriously could not click the stupidly large yellow button fast enough!!!!

P.S. to Woot: For the love of GOD, please stop making me log in again every single time I want to buy something, even when I'm ALREADY logged in. Arrrggghhhh....

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

sbgraber wrote:For those of you unaware, this is an expertly done shirt with references to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which the answer to Love, Life, and the Universe is 42.

No doubt someone has already set you straight (haven't read all 4 pages yet)....but 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

ReginaFilangee

Casper42 wrote:
There is something about Black shirts that just bugs me and I would have loved to have seen this in Blue or Grey or almost any other color really.

That didn't stop me on this one, but has on others. I, too, would have preferred this on another color.

Has anyone ever asked/explored the possibility of having designs offered on two...or even three...different color choices? There could be a drop box to select that just like selecting sizes.

Or is there some logistical printing issue that makes that prohibitive?

ReginaFilangee

collinvh wrote:It seems close to the style, spacing and elements used to this recently featured woot shirt. I'm not saying it was copied but similar in style.

I now own...and will happily wear....BOTH of them.

ReginaFilangee

Craigmar wrote:It would get pretty annoying having to explain this shirt to everyone you meet. That's how obsure it is.

Obscure WHERE? Anyone who is anyone will immediately "get" this shirt. Those who don't, don't matter. (Or might turn into new Douglas Adams fans.)

ReginaFilangee

calvin92 wrote:Though I wish they put Marvin in as well...its kind of ironic that they left him out.

I agree...makes me sad, too. But here's how I plan to fix it:
Simply get a Marvin button pin from CafePress and wear it on the shirt. He deserves a place of such prominence anyway. Problem solved. <---See? Not sad about it anymore.

ReginaFilangee

auctionsaver wrote:+1
Here is what turned me off of buying it:

• Lack of Marvin the robot

There is no Marvin the robot. It's Marvin, the Paranoid Android.

ReginaFilangee

dcroe05 wrote:This shirt goes well with my license plate.

Will you marry me???

ReginaFilangee

nursedoggett wrote:This shirt would be great if it had ANYTHING ELSE on it. I HATED this book in high school. I don't know why either, I love most books. This one just irritated me for some reason.

You should be made to listen to Vogon poetry for the next 24 hours....

tobias23

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tobias23

the great Mariano Rivera is the last 42.

ReginaFilangee

And now I must go and drink a PanGalactic GargleBlaster and ready myself for bed....

As others before me have already said, "So long...and thanks for all the fish!"

ReginaFilangee

midwestrpe wrote:No towel? And which one is the babblefish?

Oh, btw....the towel is very prominently positioned at the top of the 4.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

If it can be trusted, debut day, 4278, all on imported Anvil blanks.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

First sales number post
Speed to First Woot:2m 21.440s
First Sucker:phantommenace64
Last Wooter to Woot:mouseandcat
Last Purchase Time:4:59 AM Central Time
Order Pace:0m 19.669s
Woots Sold: 4378

Second sales number post I caught
Last Wooter to Woot:shrivas
Last Purchase Time:5:06 AM Central Time
Order Pace:0m 19.776s
Woots Sold:4383

No change in beginning numbers (good)
Sales look reasonable for type of shirt (good?)
Sales @$15 up right away (very good)
Central time still GMT, Zulu or Reykjavik time (not good)
The Reckoning? (do I give up?)

First day sales appear to be 4378

Craigmar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Craigmar
ReginaFilangee wrote:Obscure WHERE? Anyone who is anyone will immediately "get" this shirt. Those who don't, don't matter. (Or might turn into new Douglas Adams fans.)

I'll bet you'd be the only one in the room. I hope you have a lot of time.

bibiophile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bibiophile

New movie, Old movie, books, TV, ah you newbies.
Proud to have LISTENED to the radio broadcasts.

Alas, won't have ds order any for me with the new sizes.....

But definitely nicely done.

btw - A tribute to Ray might be a nice future challenge.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last Wooter to Woot: jumad
Last Purchase Time:6:48 AM Central Time
Order Pace: 0m 42.443s
Woots Sold: 2186

I just checked the numbers again and we have another one-half cut in sales.

What is going on?

thebiggyle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thebiggyle

Thanks for a great first day of sales, friends! Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday, but here's a list of the objects included in the design. Towel and Petunias included.

Paper Bag
Norway
Bread-toasting knife
Dolphins
Horse and Groom
“Don’t Panic”
Mice
Towel
Ship traveling via Improbability Drive
Pot of Tea
Hostess’ undergarments jumping to the left
The Earth
6 pints of beer
7 peanuts
Arthur’s bathrobe
Arthur’s house
Bulldozer
Babel Fish
“I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle
Eddie, the ship computer
Couch
Sperm Whale
Gold Brick
Bowl of Petunias
2 missiles
Slice of Lemon
Ball of Yarn
Jewel-encrusted Vogon Crab
Vogon Microphone
Thinking Cap
Pan Galactic Gargle blaster
Cup of Tea
Trillion (Trillian)
Improbability Drive Coordinates Cube
Point-of-view-gun
Arthur’s Trailer
A Ford Prefect
Angry Fleet
Small Dog
Deoderant
Slartibartfast’s Factory Aircar
All the Fish

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

No one has mentioned the Infocom text adventure version. That was a fun game!

amikins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amikins

My mother saw this shirt before i got to and told me "i dont think your going to like it" when I actually saw it i just laughed and then later had to try and explain why she was soo soo wrong. lol

polkastria

Craigmar wrote:I'll bet you'd be the only one in the room. I hope you have a lot of time.

Well, my son and I got ours today, since I went for next day shipping, and we'll be wearing them to a State Democratic Convention meeting tomorrow. We'll see how many odd stares and how many.. "where did you get that?" comments we get between us.

ReginaFilangee

Craigmar wrote:I'll bet you'd be the only one in the room. I hope you have a lot of time.

Not sure what your age group is.....but if you're over 30 (even 25), this book is considered to be a classic, and more people than not will have at least heard of it at some point in their lives. Unless they've been living in a cave....or a basement...

I run into people all the time who comment on my other Guide attire and "Don't Panic" button pin.

Maybe you should broaden your circle of acquaintances to include more hip and cool peoples. ;-)

ETA: I actually randomly ran into a woman just last week and in talking, found out she had a new cat she'd named Arthur Dent. I immediately asked if he had his own towel with him at all times and if he'd heard from Zaphod Beeblebrox lately, and we both laughed.

polkastria

polkastria wrote:Well, my son and I got ours today, since I went for next day shipping, and we'll be wearing them to a State Democratic Convention meeting tomorrow. We'll see how many odd stares and how many.. "where did you get that?" comments we get between us.

We came home from the convention.. had two people come up to us to talk about our shirts.. a few smiles and people nudging others... one picture taken but they didn't talk to us, and one news photographer took my son's picture.. we'll see if it shows up anywhere tomorrow.

Son stayed out on his own after I left and he got one little kid that didn't know it but tried to figure it out and one adult that looked clueless... one Marvin quote from someone walking by and a street musician that started playing "so long and thanks for all the fish".

I'd say most random people either do get it or they think it's something else that they think they get.. since it's Vegas, it could be either.