WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Time again for another march toward t-shirt doom! Discuss this week's life-or-death struggle for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Reckoning page all week long.

Here's how the Reckoning week runs now: every Tuesday at midnight, we retire the previous week's lowest-selling shirts and launch this here discussion thread. Tuesday around noon we'll post the all-new, all-early Reckoning Recon. On Friday, we'll juice demand and prime the pump with a little weekend reminder post. Finally, on the following Monday, the Day of Reckoning post sounds the last call for the Reckoned shirts. All of those posts will be linked below. Monday night (or Tuesday morning), it starts all over again. The Reckoning, she is a hungry beast...

Quality Posts

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Someday I will find where the numbers are hiding. I was hoping with all the ninjas taking up the good hiding places the numbers would be forced out of hiding.

Maybe they are hiding in Sport Woot...

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
TheGolux wrote:Someday I will find where the numbers are hiding. I was hoping with all the ninjas taking up the good hiding places the numbers would be forced out of hiding.

I have it on good authority (from a woot staffer) that the numbers should be restored before the Ninjas overtake the Pirates in the epic battle of breast-displaying tank tops.

Perhaps the nightly halving of the sales is simply a karmic numerical balance to the final 90 seconds of an NBA game?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

neuropsychosocial

I am intrigued by the idea of spending the next week dispensing answers around the forums only in verse. At the very least, it would make it more challenging to post "Woot didn't send you the wrong shirt; they sent you the Anvil shirt that you ordered - here are a dozen links to the 10,000 previous posts on this topic."

Since we don't have shirt numbers to count, perhaps we should count "ANVIL?!?!" posts instead. I'm fairly certain, however, that woot would not allow us to Wreckon their customers at Monday noon. Cookies to whoever spots the greatest number of ANVIL?!?! posts this week?

In case you can't tell, I missed my bedtime by about four hours, which would not be such a big deal except I missed sleep altogether on Saturday night. But we covered that in last Wreckoning thread - unless it was on facebook. Speaking of which: j5, bounty, anyone drop off hoes.woot.com as beta feedback? Made in the U.S., just for short people!

leopoldmozart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages leopoldmozart

Wait, whatever happened to the Best Seller slot in the Hamper of Fame. I'm not seeing The Binge there anymore.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
neuropsychosocial wrote:I am intrigued by the idea of spending the next week dispensing answers around the forums only in verse. At the very least, it would make it more challenging to post "Woot didn't send you the wrong shirt; they sent you the Anvil shirt that you ordered - here are a dozen links to the 10,000 previous posts on this topic."

Since we don't have shirt numbers to count, perhaps we should count "ANVIL?!?!" posts instead. I'm fairly certain, however, that woot would not allow us to Wreckon their customers at Monday noon. Cookies to whoever spots the greatest number of ANVIL?!?! posts this week?

In case you can't tell, I missed my bedtime by about four hours, which would not be such a big deal except I missed sleep altogether on Saturday night. But we covered that in last Wreckoning thread - unless it was on facebook. Speaking of which: j5, bounty, anyone drop off hoes.woot.com as beta feedback? Made in the U.S., just for short people!

Hoes as in gardening and other agricultural implements of destruction, as in "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...", or as in "bros before..."???

tnode192

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tnode192

I wonder if the numbers have been dropped because they can't figure out how to integrate the sales on the Woot! Amazon storefront?

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr
TheGolux wrote:Someday I will find where the numbers are hiding. I was hoping with all the ninjas taking up the good hiding places the numbers would be forced out of hiding.

That would be appropriate given that tracking the Reckoning appears to be sport for many, but it appears to be a glitch with the new woot that has yet to be worked out. There was a discussion of this somewhere. Try: http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5020088

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Hoes as in gardening and other agricultural implements of destruction, as in "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...", or as in "bros before..."???

She keeps insisting she ment the first one. I still say $5, same as in town.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

neuropsychosocial wrote:I am intrigued by the idea of spending the next week dispensing answers around the forums only in verse. At the very least, it would make it more challenging to post "Woot didn't send you the wrong shirt; they sent you the Anvil shirt that you ordered - here are a dozen links to the 10,000 previous posts on this topic."

"16 weeks is quite a spell,
a season starts and ends as well
And yet it seems in all this time
a single shirt you've tagged as "MINE!"
And when it did arrive to you
You cried out "oh what did they do"
it fits you like a Schulz'ing Ghost
Because YOU DID NOT READ TEH POSTS

Funny side note from the brain of teh SpiderRat: in the old DC Comics universe, Rhyming was a common trait of Demons, and Etrigran, who only occasionally spoke in rhyme, claimed that only the lowest orders were forced to do so.

Say it with me now children:

GONE GONE FORM OF MAN
COME THE DEOMON ETRIGRAN!

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
bounty42 wrote:Funny side note from the brain of teh SpiderRat: in the old DC Comics universe, Rhyming was a common trait of Demons, and Etrigran, who only occasionally spoke in rhyme, claimed that only the lowest orders were forced to do so.

i don't think this was consistently applied in the "old dcu." for example, morpheus in sandman #3 seems to think etrigan rhyming connoted a promotion for etrigan:

bounty42 wrote:Say it with me now children:

GONE GONE FORM OF MAN
COME THE DEOMON ETRIGRAN!

what's a "deomon"? is that like a "dæmon"? and isn't it "etrigan" rather than "etrigran"?

bounty42

no1 wrote:what's a "deomon"? is that like a "dæmon"? and isn't it "etrigan" rather than "etrigran"?

Like I'd be foolish enough to ACTUALLY invoke him? (That's my stury and I'm stacking too it)

That Sandman quote was actually when I tumbled to it, and I thought the comment was itself a jab by Gaiman at thier inability to maintain consistancy. They went into this a bit more in I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League

neuropsychosocial

tnode192 wrote:I wonder if the numbers have been dropped because they can't figure out how to integrate the sales on the Woot! Amazon storefront?

No, based on what we've been told, the problem is simply that woot failed to account for the "need" to post the sales stats when they were redesigning the website. To extrapolate from something I've been told by woot in non-public communication and my own (very limited) experience pulling from data from databases and Narf's thoughts (also based on somewhat limited database-retrieval knowledge): if you look at the urls for shirts, you'll notice that the shirts are now referred to by name instead of by sales ID. We're hypothesizing that the interface is having trouble pulling or can't pull the sales numbers from the database on the basis of names. I was assured yesterday that the numbers are on their way back, so I'm going to defend woot as having good-intentions and poor-communication-skills - at least until the end of the week. Since I fell in love with my hoe and it's currently fulfilling all of my needs, I sent my pitchfork into the shop to be sharpened, so woot has a few days to meet the deadline they mentioned to me or to communicate an update.

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Hoes as in gardening and other agricultural implements of destruction, as in "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...", or as in "bros before..."???

HOES. Made in the U.S., sized for short people, easy on the hands, produces satisfying results with a minimum of effort. What else could I be talking about!?!

Am I gonna hafta post pictures, people?

neuropsychosocial

Numbers! Numbers to chew on!
So the backstory, which I'm not going to post, makes this quite a bit less pathetic (promise), but essentially, Bounty requested a comparison of colors between shirts printed since the last Double-Take Derby and shirts in the current Double-Take Derby. Since I had half that data at my fingertips and the other half was exactly the kind of thing that I needed to do at that moment, I complied.

Two big caveats: I realized halfway through I couldn't tell asphalt and slate apart, so in the numbers from the current double-take derby, asphalt and slate are combined. Plus, there might be mistakes in the counts of other colors from the current double-take derby, especially counting navy as black. (Hey, counting shirts was the absolute perfect task at that moment to pull me out of my own brain without requiring me to actually make use of said brain, but I wasn't especially motivated!) However, the data from shirts that have printed are completely accurate; that data set is awesome, y'all!

Since last double-take, excluding prints from that double-take and ECs from the following week:
[printed/in current double-take]
Asphalt 3/18 (including slate)
Baby Blue 4/1
Black 19/32
Brown 3/16
Cranberry 1/3
Grass Green 8/11
Kelly Green 3/4
Lemon 1/1
Navy 8/2
Olive 1/4
Red 1/2
Royal 6/4
Silver 6/11
Slate 4/see asphalt
White 1/2
Creme 0/7

Obligatory Wreckoning tie-in: eventually, the shirts from the current Double-Take Derby that print will end up in the Wreckoning.

bounty42

neuropsychosocial wrote:HOES. Made in the U.S., sized for short people, easy on the hands, produces satisfying results with a minimum of effort. What else could I be talking about!?!

Yes, I believe we need Pictures of NPS and her cadre of Midget Hoes.

grahamcrackercoyote

neuropsychosocial wrote:HOES. Made in the U.S., sized for short people, easy on the hands, produces satisfying results with a minimum of effort. What else could I be talking about!?!

Naw - I'll bring mine, too - I walk into Home De-pot and walk out with new tools. I think I should bring my pulaski in case we need to put out any fires

neuropsychosocial

bounty42 wrote:Yes, I believe we need Pictures of NPS and her cadre of Midget Hoes.

If I could take an American Gothic-style picture of me and my Midget Hoe, I would totally post it.

(The funniest part - to me - is that I'm not really that short! [Full disclosure: every time I say that to my college friends, they raise their eyebrows at me and then laugh and laugh and laugh. So it's possible my perspective is skewed.] But really, not that short! Not tall enough to use tools sized for an average man, but not short!)

Maybe I'll take a picture of my cadre of Midget Hoes and army of Stepladders.

Rhonwyn22

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Rhonwyn22
neuropsychosocial wrote:If I could take an American Gothic-style picture of me and my Midget Hoe, I would totally post it.

(The funniest part - to me - is that I'm not really that short! [Full disclosure: every time I say that to my college friends, they raise their eyebrows at me and then laugh and laugh and laugh. So it's possible my perspective is skewed.] But really, not that short! Not tall enough to use tools sized for an average man, but not short!)

So how tall is not short?

neuropsychosocial

Rhonwyn22 wrote:So how tall is not short?

I'm approximately the same size as Narfcake's dog.

(In fact, I'm planning to squeeze through the dog door when I steal UnNinjaI from Narf's house.)

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
neuropsychosocial wrote:If I could take an American Gothic-style picture of me and my Midget Hoe, I would totally post it.

Of course you're not short. You're like me, surrounded by freakishly tall people.

In my case some of whom over the years have decided it is funny to use me as a leaning post. What they fail to anticipate is that doing so leaves their side unprotected...

I do find I stop by less since the numbers disappeared. However, the performaance of the top two anxious ones was to be expected.

Narfcake

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake
neuropsychosocial wrote:I'm approximately the same size as Narfcake's dog.

(In fact, I'm planning to squeeze through the dog door when I steal UnNinjaI from Narf's house.)

Good luck meeting her face-to-face, then!

(PREPARE TO BE SLOBBERED!)

quabaq

quality posts: 4 Private Messages quabaq

I'm exceedingly happy Artichokey is still doing so well. It looks great IRL.

taylorchevy72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylorchevy72

You guys need to bring "The Three Classical States of Matter" shirt back. It is awesome, and I would like to buy a couple more for some geology friends, and my brother who works in the oil fields up north.

Thanks

bounty42

Is it just me, or are the shirt.woot shirts on Amazon on AA?

neuropsychosocial

Narfcake wrote:Good luck meeting her face-to-face, then!

(PREPARE TO BE SLOBBERED!)

Since I got home, I've had my face washed three times by dog tongue (and three times by soap); I can handle dog slobber - although at least small dogs deliberately slobber on their humans to show affection; big dogs just drool.

But thanks for the suggestion that I should bring a plastic bag with me to ensure that my UnNinja doesn't get slobbered on while I'm crawling out the dog door. This plan is coming together nicely...

quabaq wrote:I'm exceedingly happy Artichokey is still doing so well. It looks great IRL.

I agree; it looks great and I'm thrilled that it's selling well. I really enjoy wearing mine: makes me smile every time! (And I'm very, very happy for ApeLad that both Artichokey and Relative Dimensions continue to perform strongly on the Reckoning.)

Narfcake

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake
quabaq wrote:I'm exceedingly happy Artichokey is still doing so well. It looks great IRL.

It's a happy shirt. My third copy was the last shirt I bought, over three weeks ago (when it was still on AA). I might just succeed in going a month without buying a new Woot shirt afterall!

bounty42 wrote:Is it just me, or are the shirt.woot shirts on Amazon on AA?

The pictures may be, but I doubt they will arrive as such. Without the sizing chart, there's no assurance there ... and frankly, even with the sizing chart, it's not assured here either.

TheGolux

Look what I found!!!!!

"The Binge
Speed to First Woot: 0m 0.000s
First Sucker: ihoogendam
Last Wooter to Woot: makhavi
Last Purchase: an hour ago
Order Pace: 24m 41.224s
Woots Sold: 58739"

"1971-Floppy Diskette
Speed to First Woot:0m 46.000s
First Sucker: kahukusweet
Last Wooter to Woot: ps2player777
Last Purchase: 3 hours ago
Order Pace: 16m 19.338s
Woots Sold:9782"

"The Formula For Success
Speed to First Woot:0m 48.000s
First Sucker: KyleLenox
Last Wooter to Woot: minuwoot
Last Purchase: 26 minutes ago
Order Pace: 8m 48.339s
Woots Sold: 11454"

We have NUMBERS!!!!!

This is as big to me as Matt Cain pitching a perfect game. WOOT!!!!

TheGolux

"Iron or Gold
Speed to First Woot: 1m 41.116s
First Sucker: djtrex
Last Wooter to Woot: zephronias
Last Purchase: 14 minutes ago
Order Pace: 7m 25.000s
Woots Sold: 2924"

Looks like they fixed this number back to the full sales numbers.

I have to do some real world work on estimated taxes. Otherwise I would be on all of the shirt numbers.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
TheGolux wrote:Look what I found!!!!!

We have NUMBERS!!!!!

This is as big to me as Matt Cain pitching a perfect game. WOOT!!!!

YIPPEE!!! Numbers, numbers, numbers!!!

OK, number nerds,..... er,..... um, numerical marvels, time to get crunching!

07/11/14

neuropsychosocial

caramelarrow wrote:YIPPEE!!! Numbers, numbers, numbers!!!

Yay numbers! I believe the fearless captain of the NumberNerd squad went to bed early last night, so I hope he doesn't mind if I note that the return of the sales numbers doesn't mean an instantaneous return of the NarfNumbers: that metric is based on sales over the past 28 days, and as of this week, we no longer have accurate baseline numbers, so we can't calculate the usual NarfNumbers until three weeks from next Monday - unless woot can provide us with those baseline numbers. I'm going to ask, very politely, and we'll see if we can make this happen.

Of course, there are other metrics that the NumberNerds can crunch; I'm curious to see how sales have gone since the relaunch, for example, and we have perfect baseline numbers for that. However, I'm going to go to bed before I get my hands dirty with the returned numbers.

Yay numbers! Thanks to Joel and tgentry! (If there are others, especially on the programming side, that we should acknowledge for their work on this, someone please let me know, okay?)

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
TheGolux wrote:We have NUMBERS!!!!!

YAY!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
caramelarrow wrote:YIPPEE!!! Numbers, numbers, numbers!!!

Yay!!! Numbers are back. See, all it took was a little faith and a lot of patience.

We can all now resume our daily reckoning watching.

EDIT: Also, now that we have numbers back, I guess we can say that Overkill will be added to the rarities list...

escapecar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages escapecar

Assuming the new numbers are correct, there is enough data to crunch numbers for the 16 shirts that were on sale before the changeover, so I have crunched those babies, but good.

Unfortunately, the Woot DSRs I get don't match the Reckoning rank terribly well, so I'm hesitant to publish them. Here are the raw numbers, do with them as you will. The table below will show:

Current Rank (as of about an hour ago)
Shirt Name
Sales 5/21-5/26, excluding Reckoning (grabbed about 11:30 on 5/26)
Total Sales since changeover

1 The Formula For Success 384 440
4 Family Breakfast 167 513
5 Leonardo 284 265
7 Nightmeow on Elm Street 236 234
9 Shhhhhhh 139 290
10 Relative Dimensions 199 243
11 Cheater 174 240
12 The Binge 157 154
13 Nevermore 134 163
14 Artichokey 150 213
15 Graiiins 144 192
17 1971-Floppy Diskette 125 216
19 Casual Friday 117 196
20 One in Every Group 0 251
21 Only Memories 81 220
23 Secret Love 56 196

Gleanings:

1. Looking at previous weeks, most shirts are down from a quarter to a half of their previous weekly sales. Family Breakfast is the only shirt with a gain over its pre-changeover level.

2. It looks like the Woot DSR for survival is in the 10-11 range.

3. When the last pre-changeover week falls out of the DSR on 6/18, all heck is going to break loose. And since we don't have the 5/28 starting numbers, we won't really know what's going on. Fun!

grahamcrackercoyote

YAH! NUMBERS!

[I am wearing A Day At The Loch on the last student day at my Scottish-themed high school. We'll see if I can pull off over-the-top cute in front of teenagers ]

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

It's always fun to see how the reckoning has changed if you're gone for a bit. Yay more ninjas soon to enter!

So where are you finding the sales numbers? I don't see them on the stat pages anywhere.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
citizencoyote wrote:It's always fun to see how the reckoning has changed if you're gone for a bit. Yay more ninjas soon to enter!

So where are you finding the sales numbers? I don't see them on the stat pages anywhere.

They're only available from Wootbot's initial post in the comments section.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
tjschaeffer wrote:They're only available from Wootbot's initial post in the comments section.

Ah, I see them now. Well that's inconvenient, but at least we've got something. Thanks!

bounty42

citizencoyote wrote:Ah, I see them now. Well that's inconvenient, but at least we've got something. Thanks!

Some of us were already pulling from there before hand. That page gave a bit more info that was useful on first day sales sorts of questions. Now that the Backend is completely hidden, we're back to that again.

neuropsychosocial

citizencoyote wrote:Ah, I see them now. Well that's inconvenient, but at least we've got something. Thanks!

It's a lot less inconvenient and is going to result in the numbers being less accurate and in more time being required to pull nightly numbers. I'm guessing that will make the numbers less likely to be nightly.

Oh drat, this also means that I'll never get to test my theory for pulling perfect pre-woot-off sales numbers! Totally meaningless, but I was proud of myself for problem-solving a clever solution.