JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB
JRRB wrote:I keep getting a server error after I select my size and click the "buy now" button.

I finally got past this and placed an order. The site got stuck on the order processing page, but I received an order confirmation email, so I assume that my order went through.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
alleymallycat wrote:Orifice? It's just its butt.

Agreed - Cats are shameless little creatures and do not fear licking their hind end in public [or shoving it in your face when you sleep]. If the small "asterisk" butthole on the cartoon is too much , DON'T BUY THE @##$%^$%## SHIRT!!!!

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
pdw904 wrote:Why always with Cats? How many lonely cat people are there out there buying these to fill the soulless, empty voids in their hearts? No more Cat Shirts!

I'm a cat person, but I wouldn't call myself lonely nor do I have a soulless, empty void in my heart. I love kitties, and I'm going to buy this shirt so my little fur-balls can get their hair all over it while I'm wearing it! I probably can't get away with wearing it to work, but that's OK, I'll wear it when I'm out sometime, lol! See how many people I can make laugh!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Kitzira wrote:Mine had a server error upon clicking the stupidly large button.. but yet still shows up on my order page.

Also, what happened to typing in the 3 digits on the back of the credit card? Is woot trashing security?

Oh heck no. We're using new and improved methods of payment authorization that don't require your CCV. This is why you are requested to log in before a purchase - so nobody can walk by your computer and get access to your personal info or make a purchase.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jausel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jausel

Actually, if you want to be completely accurate, it's résumé, but really, it IS just a cat shirt!

neuropsychosocial wrote:I'm confused. Is this shirt intended to represent a cat's resumé? "Resume" is a verb that means "to begin to do or continue to do something after a pause." "Resumé" is a noun that means a short summary of job qualifications and skills, usually used when applying for jobs. I worked as a career counselor for several years; even in English, "resumé" requires the accent aigu (at least if you want to be hired for a job not of the "want fries with that" variety).

I know it's hard to type accents on American keyboards, but surely it's not that hard to include on a shirt?

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
baybei wrote:I'm a cat person, but I wouldn't call myself lonely nor do I have a soulless, empty void in my heart. I love kitties, and I'm going to buy this shirt so my little fur-balls can get their hair all over it while I'm wearing it! I probably can't get away with wearing it to work, but that's OK, I'll wear it when I'm out sometime, lol! See how many people I can make laugh!

My wife and I have a 3-legged dog and a small angry black cat - neither of us is lonely If you have more than twice your cities limit on fuzzy four-legged things [my city says 3] and you aren't a shelter, then loneliness might be a factor

kittymeeowmeeow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kittymeeowmeeow
pdw904 wrote:Why always with Cats? How many lonely cat people are there out there buying these to fill the soulless, empty voids in their hearts? No more Cat Shirts!

Cat people do not have soulless, empty voids in their hearts! On the contrary, our hearts are QUITE full! Of cats! :3

carolinaliz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carolinaliz

What happened to the lightbox/ detailed picture of the graphics on the shirts? Trying to read the different words and it is difficult.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
ThunderThighs wrote:You're not missing them but we are. Here's a thread on that very topic with responses from Shirt Staff.

Do you have a link with something more recent than 2 weeks ago? That's 14 shirts and 2 Reckonings worth of 'soon'.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

jblood

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jblood
jausel wrote:Actually, if you want to be completely accurate, it's résumé, but really, it IS just a cat shirt!

Psst... we said that. And we're all friends again. :-)

jblood

krouth wrote:I thought I'd interrupt the grammar-n@zis for a second to let Fable know that I think this is a funny shirt.
Now you can all résumé arguing...

Ok, now that... that was funny. :-)

jblood

BestGirl54 wrote:"First thing's first"? Thing is, ixnay to the apostrophe

In my head that sounds like "ixnay to the apos-tro-phay".

jenguin80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenguin80
jrs1980 wrote:D'aaaaw. Missing "bag of cement" when they're on your lap and you have somewhere to be.

This is so true!
Also, shot in the somewhat dark here... Joy?

silversprite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silversprite

Can't answer for anyone else, but a regular shirt in the same size as a women's shirt is pretty uncomfortable. Even though there's actually more room in the regular size, the cut is sufficiently different that the regular shirt rubs sore spots on my neck.

alleymallycat wrote:Can you not wear regular shirts? I mean, it's a shirt. It wears the same as any other shirt. You just put it on. Or does it absolutely, positively HAVE to be a Women's size? Because, really? I'm a woman and have no problem wearing a regular size. Not killing me. -shrug-

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

Congrats fablefire! Abstract artist is my favorite!

goodlifegardens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodlifegardens
gcosta wrote:Being a cat owner but an English teacher before that, I just won't buy this shirt because of that (not) little mistake.

May I suggest Woot enforce a proper language use policy on the designs submitted? Unless it's part of the joke, I feel like a dork adorning my chest with embarrassing mistakes.

As a teacher of Speech/Communications--Meaning is in the mind of the sender and the mind of the receiver. Words themselves are only a flawed code in which we try to transfer meaning from one mind to another. As long as that meaning is transferred it doesn't really matter what symbol is used for code. It would be hard for someone to quickly look at this shirt in the context and decode the word to be "resume" as in continue. The mind doesn't have time for those details especially in a quick glance at the code being sent. People simply don't look at a shirt long enough to get anything other than a quick impression of the possible meaning of the code.

bajorand

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bajorand
jblood wrote:In my head that sounds like "ixnay to the apos-tro-phay".

Hah! I did the same thing, but my brain didn't figure out what was wrong with it until I read your post!

And to stick my belated two cents in to the (mostly finished) grammar debate, I've been very busily playing secretary for my husband while he looks for a new job. I just finished an online application for Conocophillips, and while throughout their entire application process there were many instances of "resume", there was nary an accent in sight. Perhaps the difference lies in the fact that we've been applying for engineering/mechanic type work, as opposed to something related to communications . . . but if an extremely large and extremely professional company like Conocophillips (with a squeaky-clean website, in terms of grammar) is comfortable using "resume", seems to me that's a pretty good sign that it is a commonly -- and professionally -- accepted form of the word. *shrug*

To fablefire: Love the shirt. Especially the box inspector.

cardoors32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cardoors32
fickce4 wrote:This is great! But I have so many shirts... and I'd like it better as a tote.

I demand totes! :D

the interweb provides a solution!
http://www.instructables.com/id/FASTEST-RECYCLED-T-SHIRT-TOTE-BAG/

bigred286

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigred286
hinaruto33 wrote:This is one of those shirt designs that I would love on a poster, but not so much as a shirt. Dear Woot, please start making posters out of every design. Thanks.

I, too, would like this design as a poster, but not because I dislike it as a shirt. I actually reeeally want this shirt, but I'm not buying it because of the new brand. I know the topic has been beaten into the ground (that might be an understatement), but I just feel compelled to say something. In all fairness, I DID give the new shirts a chance. However, the women's medium is too wide and the small is too short! I've considered buying a men's shirt, but I'm not crazy about the fact that the design is a good bit larger on the men's. Unfortunately, I'm out of options.

laneelms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laneelms
jblood wrote:As long as people buy them (and they do, in droves), there will be more cat shirts.

I am also tired of cat shirts. Can you just make a shirt.cats.woot.com and let the crazy cat people go crazy, leave the ninja and zombie shirts for the rest of us. Also I like the tree shirts.

DeLore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeLore

Awesome shirt. Too bad I'm not buying anymore shirt.woots until/unless they switch back to American Apparel. I'm no fan of the new Anvil blanks. :-(

love4allpaws

quality posts: 0 Private Messages love4allpaws

Aww, come on, it's just a tee shirt! It's just what all kitties do! I thought they were all pretty appropriate..got one for my neighbor (who is a cat lover) and one for me!

rekia wrote:I definitely would have bought this shirt if not for the Stylist picture. That one thing prevents me from being comfortable wearing it at work. Ah, it's too bad, all the other pictures are so cute.

glauberr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glauberr

BUY THE INTERNET CORRECTION SHIRT AND CALL IT A DAY!

neuropsychosocial wrote:I'm confused. Is this shirt intended to represent a cat's resumé? "Resume" is a verb that means "to begin to do or continue to do something after a pause." "Resumé" is a noun that means a short summary of job qualifications and skills, usually used when applying for jobs. I worked as a career counselor for several years; even in English, "resumé" requires the accent aigu (at least if you want to be hired for a job not of the "want fries with that" variety).

I know it's hard to type accents on American keyboards, but surely it's not that hard to include on a shirt?

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
glauberr wrote:BUY THE INTERNET CORRECTION SHIRT AND CALL IT A DAY!

In grammatically correct English, capital letters are used in the following situations:
- The first words of a sentence
- The pronoun "I"
- Proper nouns (the names of specific people, places, organizations, and sometimes things)
-Family relationships (when used as proper names)
- The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books (exception: Do not capitalize the nonspecific use of the word "god.")
-Titles preceding names, but not titles that follow names
- Directions that are names (North, South, East, and West when used as sections of the country, but not as compass directions)
- The days of the week, the months of the year, and holidays (but not the seasons used generally; exception: Seasons are capitalized when used in a title)
- The names of countries, nationalities, and specific languages
- The first word in a sentence that is a direct quote
- The major words in the titles of books, articles, and songs (but not short prepositions or the articles "the," "a," or "an," if they are not the first word of the title)
- Members of national, political, racial, social, civic, and athletic groups
- Periods and events (but not century numbers)
- Trademarks
- Words and abbreviations of specific names (but not names of things that came from specific things but are now general types)
(source: (url=http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/]Purdue University[/url])

Therefore, in your post, the u, y, t, h, e, i, n, t, e, r, n, e, t, c, o, r, r, e, c, t, i, o, n, s, h, i, r, t, a, n, d, c, a, l, l, i, t, a, d, a, and y should all be lowercase. (Although most style manuals initially suggested that "Internet" be capitalized, most, if not all, definitive style manuals have revised this suggestion over the past decade. An argument could be made, however, that I am incorrect when I suggest that the "i" in your post should be lowercase; it is possible that you were correct to capitalize it, based on your organization's style guide.)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

It's a shame my Grammar Police shirt was reckoned yesterday. :P
Congrats on the print, FableFire!

jblood

neuropsychosocial wrote:(Large post.)

Hehe, that made me chuckle. Good one.

But then again... in internet chat rooms and comment boards around the world... all caps is the same as YELLING!

:-)

neuropsychosocial

jblood wrote:Hehe, that made me chuckle. Good one.

*bows* Thank you, thank you; that was quite a bit of fun.

But then again... in internet chat rooms and comment boards around the world... all caps is the same as YELLING!

According to my mama's style guide, one does not yell unless something's on fire, something heavy is headed at someone at a rapid rate of speed, or there's a need for a preacher and a shotgun. ;p

colegrove713

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colegrove713

Hey Woot, are you okay with the facebook page "Daily T-Shirts" posting pictures of your shirt designs without crediting the page or designer? Sure, they put the link to purchase, but it doesn't actually say that until you click on the micro-link. The Cat Resume was shared by someone on my facebook and then I went and looked and they have one of the pirate ones too...seems wrong not to credit the designer. http://www.facebook.com/dailytshirts

dreamofcaramel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreamofcaramel
baybei wrote:I'm a cat person, but I wouldn't call myself lonely nor do I have a soulless, empty void in my heart. I love kitties, and I'm going to buy this shirt so my little fur-balls can get their hair all over it while I'm wearing it! I probably can't get away with wearing it to work, but that's OK, I'll wear it when I'm out sometime, lol! See how many people I can make laugh!

*high five!* signed, a soulfulllllllllllll cat owner that gets every item furred on contact and still love it

jonelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonelin
JRRB wrote:Check the tag. If the tag has a pale blue woot logo, it's the new woman's shirt blank. If the woot logo is dark blue, it's the new men's blank.

You might want to consider using them as sleep shirts.

Well, I guess they did send me women's sizes. I SWIM in a medium, and the smaller isn't that much smaller, and they don't seem to be cut at all. So I guess I'm still not buying any new shirt.woots.

Thanks for the info to the couple of you who replied. I appreciate it.

junksauce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages junksauce

I want to buy your shirts, woot. But it seems like all I have to choose from is cartoony cats, ninjas, and butterflies.

Please, please, PLEASE put out a couple heterosexual shirts every once in a while. I miss the days when your shirts didn't have such a gender bias.

jonelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonelin
alleymallycat wrote:Can you not wear regular shirts? I mean, it's a shirt. It wears the same as any other shirt. You just put it on. Or does it absolutely, positively HAVE to be a Women's size? Because, really? I'm a woman and have no problem wearing a regular size. Not killing me. -shrug-

I swim in regular cut shirts and while they are fine for house lounging, I don't need all the extra material getting in the way when I work out or run, and women's cut shirts are more attractive for everyday wear outside the home.

Just my 2¢.

bounty42

junksauce wrote:I want to buy your shirts, woot. But it seems like all I have to choose from is cartoony cats, ninjas, and butterflies.

Please, please, PLEASE put out a couple heterosexual shirts every once in a while. I miss the days when your shirts didn't have such a gender bias.

And I look forward to missing the days when posts like this were commonplace.

Not even sure what a shirt has to do with sexual orientation, excepting the mention of stylist in the referenced shirt.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

hycodude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hycodude

Shame on amazon.

Shmuel510

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Shmuel510
neuropsychosocial wrote:I'm not being technical, but I was distracted and consequently was sloppy in my post: you're correct that résumé is correct. Thank you for noting my error and posting the correct spelling. It is, however, the correct spelling. Wikipedia, despite what someone else noted, is not reliable source for writing style. Both APA and Chicago require résumé; last I knew, MLA and AP stylebooks also required résumé, but I don't have either in front of me. I can check later if anyone is interested.

I know we have professional editors among the wooters: beyond APA/MLA/Chicago/AP, what other style books would you consider definitive?

Speaking here as a professional editor, if you're looking for a "style book" to determine "the correct spelling," you're doing it wrong. What you want is a dictionary. American Heritage (4th ed.), Merriam-Webster's (11th collegiate ed.), and Webster's New World (4th college ed.) all consider "resume," "resumé," and "résumé" to be acceptable spellings. (American Heritage lists all three as equally standard; Merriam-Webster's claims "resumé" is less common than the other two; Webster's New World has a preference for "résumé," but accepts the others as well.)

This is a style choice. You seem to be under the misconception that style is a matter of determining the correct usage; in fact, style is a matter of choosing from among multiple valid alternatives for the sake of consistency within a given work or series of works. The purpose of Chicago, AP, house style, etc. isn't to define good writing practices; it's to ensure that different editors working on the same project are making the same arbitrary choices. This helps create consistent works, and helps avoid cases of successive editors undoing each other's changes because they made different valid decisions (e.g., Editor A stripping out Oxford commas, and Editor B putting them back in). One valid style choice would be that "résumé" should retain the accent marks from the original French; another would be that "resume" is preferable because English has no use for accent marks.

You can argue endlessly over style; it's a favorite pastime among copyeditors. But that has nothing to do with correctness. The shirt is fine.

sacole

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sacole

Well I was going to buy a shirt. Haven't bought one recently since either I didn't like the design or the color was not suitable for a "winter". Checked the sizing chart. Looks like the upper limit is 23 inches across the bust...???

Looks like I can just skip over the Tees from now on. I am busty.

neuropsychosocial

sacole wrote:Well I was going to buy a shirt. Haven't bought one recently since either I didn't like the design or the color was not suitable for a "winter". Checked the sizing chart. Looks like the upper limit is 23 inches across the bust...???

According to the sizing chart, the upper limit across the bust is 28" - and remember, that's the measurement across the front of the shirt, so you'd have 56" across the bust. I haven't seen Dolly Parton in a woot shirt lately, but if you used to be able to wear woot shirts and your concern is that they're not large enough, then the revised sizing should allow you to find something that works for you.

grim04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grim04
sacole wrote:Well I was going to buy a shirt. Haven't bought one recently since either I didn't like the design or the color was not suitable for a "winter". Checked the sizing chart. Looks like the upper limit is 23 inches across the bust...???

Actually that's folded in half... I used to wear a medium women's shirt before they changed vendors, but I recently purchased a couple mediums and they are very, very large. They are actually close in size the the men's large shirts that I sleep in, not really comfortable for wearing outside. :\

You should closely review the sizing chart and see what I mean. I bet one of the new sizes will still fit you.

jblood

That's 23" ACROSS the bust... in other words, 46".

At least, it better be. Otherwise... who other than a child has a 23" bust?

EDIT: Looks like neuropsychosocial and grim beat me to it. (Although neuro, you grabbed the width for men, not women. Same idea, though.)

bounty42

23 inches left to right. then 23 inches right to left. so 46 inches all together. And there's 2-3 inches of leave or some such, so a 48 inch bust.