WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Summer lovin' and we're having a blast! Summer's the perfect time to hit the beach. We hear. It's not so great in Seattle, to be honest, although the locals rip their clothes off and go running for the water as soon as the temperature hits 72 because that's about as good as it's gonna get. Anyway, this week we want to see your beachiest designs! Show us breaking waves, bikinis, picnic baskets, sunblock, and shark attacks! Maybe not the last one.

• No text.

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets

How are there no comments after 2 hours. Where did everyone go?!?!

Nothing follows.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

Great! we just got back from the beach... Duck, NC, to be precise. Looking forward to the derby and getting some designs in.

cfdunbar

taternuggets wrote:How are there no comments after 2 hours. Where did everyone go?!?!

The link to discuss just went up.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cfdunbar wrote:The link to discuss just went up.

And they stick it in the Derby area now.
And nobody cares anymore.
And we all die at the end of the year, anyway!

move along

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
j5 wrote:And they stick it in the Derby area now.

Because having the derby thread in the derby section doesn't make any sense...

And nobody cares anymore.

Untrue. For some people the derby is one of the best parts of woot. I always love to see what the artists come up with. Plus it's great to see the discussions that take place once a design is shared.

And we all die at the end of the year, anyway!

And pigs fly.

fairydragon8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fairydragon8
aerc712 wrote:And pigs fly.

Hmm... Pigs flying... At the beach... I'm sure there's a design in there somewhere...

j5

aerc712 wrote:
Because having the derby thread in the derby section doesn't make any sense...

I didn't say it didn't belong. It's just a change from expectations.

Untrue. For some people the derby is one of the best parts of woot. I always love to see what the artists come up with. Plus it's great to see the discussions that take place once a design is shared.

Compared to prior years, participation in the pre-derby thread is way way lower.

And pigs fly.

Let me check my Mayan artifacts, I think they had flying pigs too.

note: The role of Debbie Downer is being performed today by J5, please make note of it in your programs.

move along

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:note: The role of Debbie Downer is being performed today by J5, please make note of it in your programs.

if you were playing debbie downer, shouldn't there be a line about feline aids or somesuch?

aerc712

fairydragon8 wrote:Hmm... Pigs flying... At the beach... I'm sure there's a design in there somewhere...

With bacon!

aerc712

j5 wrote:I didn't say it didn't belong. It's just a change from expectations.

I know the thread's in a different spot, but the change actually makes sense. "Where'd the derby thread go? Oh, maybe it's in the derby section. Duh."

Compared to prior years, participation in the pre-derby thread is way way lower.

Well I don't have years of experience with woot, so I'll just go with you on that one. However, it seems from the discussions I've read, that theme has a bit of an influence on how many comments there are. Also how many sketches/ideas are posted pre-derby for feedback. I don't always offer my two cents, but there have been times when artists acknowledged and listened to my comments and that was pretty cool.

Let me check my Mayan artifacts, I think they had flying pigs too.

Remember, if "Made in..." is stamped on the bottom it's probably not a good source to check.

note: The role of Debbie Downer is being performed today by J5, please make note of it in your programs.

Thanks for the warning crankasaurus.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
taternuggets wrote:How are there no comments after 2 hours. Where did everyone go?!?!

I couldn't find it. I even checked teh Derby Section and it wasn't there. I checked the Blog and nothing. I think there's been some interesting server issues of late.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
aerc712 wrote:With bacon!

bacon parasail

aerc712

benjaminleebates wrote:bacon parasail

Bacon surfboard.

Although soggy bacon = blech

Oy now I'm hungry.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

I'm staying away from the pop culture this week. Attempting to capture part of the beach experience that I really enjoy. I'll do my best to get a comp posted later for feedback. Come on artists, we can revive the pre-derby thread.

cfdunbar

bounty42 wrote:I couldn't find it. I even checked teh Derby Section and it wasn't there. I checked the Blog and nothing. I think there's been some interesting server issues of late.

Undoubtedly there are some server errors... I can't send in a daily entry or a derby entry from any of my computers that are running win XP without getting server errors. So I need to send everything from my daughter's laptop.

aerc712

Please, please, please no Jersey Shore references!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
aerc712 wrote:Please, please, please no Jersey Shore references!

You know you just jinxed it, right?

I'm just hanging out, really.

aerc712

inkycatz wrote:You know you just jinxed it, right?

Oh fudge.

I'm so ashamed of my home state.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
cfdunbar wrote:Great! we just got back from the beach... Duck, NC, to be precise. Looking forward to the derby and getting some designs in.

I just assumed everyone was at the beach.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

*cries*

j5

Jersey Shore/ Mario mashup!
With feline AIDS!

move along

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

My first thought was of nuclear fallout making its way to Australia.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
j5 wrote:Jersey Shore/ Mario mashup!
With feline AIDS!

Thanks! I was struggling for an idea. Consider it done!!!

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:Compared to prior years, participation in the pre-derby thread is way way lower.

I just assumed people were tired of the pre-derby thread being the birthplace of inspiration.

Nothing follows.

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Nox and I are working on one or two ideas. The first is kinda of a vintagey beach shirt using a song (polka dot bikini anyone) as the base inspiration. She may take a pop culture swing (it would be a first for us), but we'll see.

And I just realized, she has a very large rumpus LMAO. ANYWAY.

treehug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treehug
curli76 wrote:My first thought was of nuclear fallout making its way to Australia.

Me too... I read that book in high school. But it would make a pretty depressing t-shirt, so I'm definitely not doing the book reference.

orabbit

Ukulele is Hawaiian for "jumping flea". Are there enough ukulele nuts like me to care about this?

Also, I'm not quite sure how to make a dog look like the beach.

orabbit

noxandpy wrote:Nox and I are working on one or two ideas. The first is kinda of a vintagey beach shirt using a song (polka dot bikini anyone) as the base inspiration. She may take a pop culture swing (it would be a first for us), but we'll see.

I like where this is going. +1 for big booties!

aerc712

orabbit wrote:Ukulele is Hawaiian for "jumping flea". Are there enough ukulele nuts like me to care about this?

That is definitely an interesting take on the theme! As for a dog looking like the beach...all I can think of is using a dog that has blonde hair. Google image search puppies. Even if you don't find something you still get to see lots of puppy pics and really, how is that a bad thing? ;)

aerc712

noxandpy wrote:Nox and I are working on one or two ideas. The first is kinda of a vintagey beach shirt using a song (polka dot bikini anyone) as the base inspiration. She may take a pop culture swing (it would be a first for us), but we'll see.

I'm a sucker for vintage/historical references and takes on things so I love the idea. As for the dimensions, well, um, you might want to try alternate versions. ;)

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
orabbit wrote:Ukulele is Hawaiian for "jumping flea". Are there enough ukulele nuts like me to care about this?

As a player of the ukulele, I approve [tenors for me, I have big fat fingers ] and would love for it to wind up on royal blue [please NO baby blue!]...

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

I have this design lying around and this derby theme seems perfect for it! Hooray!:D

aerc712

truffleshuffle wrote:I have this design lying around and this derby theme seems perfect for it! Hooray!:D

Don't quite get the point of the monster in the clouds...kids aren't only terrified of sharks, but now actual monsters? The details are amazing, I just am stuck on why the heck the monster creature thing is there.

scraner6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scraner6
aerc712 wrote:Don't quite get the point of the monster in the clouds...kids aren't only terrified of sharks, but now actual monsters? The details are amazing, I just am stuck on why the heck the monster creature thing is there.

google 'cthulhu'

aerc712

scraner6 wrote:google 'cthulhu'

ah...i'm the wrong kind of nerd ;)

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
aerc712 wrote:ah...i'm the wrong kind of nerd ;)

There is no such thing;)

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
aerc712 wrote:ah...i'm the wrong kind of nerd ;)

Then Google 'hey there cthulhu' brooks.

[Youtube]http://YouTube.be/XxScTblUvoA[/YouTube]

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18

"Skinny Dip"

thoughts?

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

orabbit

riffmaster18 wrote:"Skinny Dip"

thoughts?

I LOLed.