neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Narfcake wrote:Actually, just two - Lucky at Last and Makin' Bread are both on Anvil WM, and Super Effective is on an AA WM.

Given the time frame (last year), my gut feeling is that they were the right sizes as ordered, as cranberry was among the last colors to transition. I still could be wrong, though - the discussion threads of that time may shine some light as to what was still printed on AA.

The Woot Plus page for Crazy for Kitties is still available (found via a quick google search). Narfcake is correct: Super Effective is listed as printing on AA/made in the U.S.; Makin' Bread and Lucky at Last are listed as printing on Anvil/made in Honduras/Nicaragua.

I also briefly checked the spreadsheet that I kept of sales in 2012. There was a Random Shirt sale on July 17th: AA for women, mixed without choice for men, and Anvil for kids.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake

Again with the "is this color alive or dead?" ...

A little precursor - the last time I bought a Schrodinger Cat long sleeve, they forgot one of the colors. This time, they may as well have forgotten about it ...

(Click to enlarge. Left is original run screen print on AA short sleeve, right is DTG on AA long sleeve.)

I'm not minding that it's DTG; it sold 13 copies, and this is where DTG shows its advantage. However, one would think that after nearly 8 months with the printer, color profiles would've been properly dialed in already. The end results aren't even close to what it should look like!

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

I ordered Smore the Dragon on an AA Unisex tank - and the print is vibrant and looks great!

But the seam on the side of the tank is unraveled. It wouldn't be so bad except that where it is unraveling from is the armpit, and continuing down.

I don't think this is something that would be caught by QC in most cases, but it is still beyond frustrating.

So, I will now take the giant hint from the universe, to stop buying woot shirts. When you factor in that Support was supposed to send out another copy of State of Denial - and never did. My Random Hoodie that was lost for a month, and required 8 emails to get refunded, then showed up, and all of the other issues? I think it's time for me to stop trying to make it work. Why was I the one trying to make it work? Why wasn't woot trying to make this stuff work?
I have a drawer full of woot shirts, those will have to do. Before woot, I wasn't really a t-shirt kind of girl anyway.

Narfcake

thumperchick wrote:... I think it's time for me to stop trying to make it work. Why was I the one trying to make it work? Why wasn't woot trying to make this stuff work? ...

I've held back on several purchases (on AA, no less) because of second questioning how the quality may end up. Anyone want to share how their Retrobot on eggplant came out?

As for my issue, I included this in the email:

"... only if the DTG operator is confident that they can get the colors addressed properly. As I said in the post, I don't mind that it's DTG, and I'll add that I'm well aware that the colors will not be as vibrant. I am minding that the colors are completely off for the box and the cat's highlights, however, and something needs to be done about the color profiles in the system so this doesn't happen again with other prints."

The result: my confidence level is lower yet again, as I was not offered a reprinting.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Narfcake wrote:Anyone want to share how their Retrobot on eggplant came out?

I haven't gotten around to taking photos and writing in to support yet, but my Retrobot, alas, was printed off-center. Woulda looked awesome if it was centered, though.

At least, I think it printed off-center. I'm taking photos now. Hold on--let me put 'em up and I'd love for people to tell me if they think it's off-center.

... Ok, I just threw it on the bed and used some chopsticks and measuring tape to illustrate the sense of off-centered-ness. What does anyone think?

(Also, the bottom of one of my ladies AA tanks had a defect in the material. A line, straight through the fabric, of tighter, more elastic, unheathered material. It's right near the hem and it's AA's fault, not woot's, so I don't mind enough to write in about it.)

Aaaaaand now I just fired off an email to support, because even if no one else agrees that my Retrobot's lopsided, I will never be able to wear it because it looks and feels off-center to me. Buuuuut... maybe I'm wrong? Anyone?

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
Narfcake wrote:Anyone want to share how their Retrobot on eggplant came out?

I'm wearing mine today for the 2nd time. I haven't noticed any issues. I haven't scrutinized it, but at a glance nothing seems off.

trekmiss

goldenthorn wrote:

Yours is off center compared to mine. On mine (MXL) the shirt tag lines up with the lightning bolt over the left eye.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:I'm wearing mine today for the 2nd time. I haven't noticed any issues. I haven't scrutinized it, but at a glance nothing seems off.

That's good.

When it was available for sale, I pulled out my copy on red, put it up against an eggplant shirt, and shot down the idea of purchasing it; second thoughts and all, and I ended up with a feeling that I would've been disappointed so I didn't buy one. I've since managed to misplace it, though, so I can't compare where the center is ...

It's a bit reassuring that the print did come out alright. Not enough to counter the non-assurance of accurate DTG colors, but at least it's a plus.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

trekmiss wrote:Yours is off center compared to mine. On mine (MXL) the shirt tag lines up with the lightning bolt over the left eye.

Thank you so much for responding!

And, update, the very kind (and quick, wow!) Daniel of Woot Member Services issued me a refund for my Retrobot. I am sad but appreciate the always excellent customer service.

trekmiss

Narfcake wrote:That's good.

When it was available for sale, I pulled out my copy on red, put it up against an eggplant shirt, and shot down the idea of purchasing it; second thoughts and all, and I ended up with a feeling that I would've been disappointed so I didn't buy one. I've since managed to misplace it, though, so I can't compare where the center is ...

It's a bit reassuring that the print did come out alright. Not enough to counter the non-assurance of accurate DTG colors, but at least it's a plus.

Just got to thinking... I don't remember the DTG smell on this shirt. I don't know how to tell the difference, but maybe it is screen-printed?

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:Just got to thinking... I don't remember the DTG smell on this shirt. I don't know how to tell the difference, but maybe it is screen-printed?

I'm pretty sure it was screened, as it sold in sufficient quantity to make much more financial sense to do so. It's the low quantity sales (like my experience) or inventory holes in which they'll end up going DTG for the reckoning or side sale shirts.

thumperchick

Hrmm... I'm unsure if this thread is abandoned because of lack of shirts being purchased, or product printing better, or lack of staff involvement....

Bump?

(My last purchase was the AA tank - Smores the Dragon, that the side seam unraveled on me.)

Narfcake

thumperchick wrote:Hrmm... I'm unsure if this thread is abandoned because of lack of shirts being purchased, or product printing better, or lack of staff involvement....

I would like to hope it's solely the second reason, but any of us who've been around for a while knows that the first reason plays a role too.

There's probably an "I'm not about to post every single little issue" factor going on too, as there are plenty of references in this thread to contact support@woot.com if there are any issues too. Likewise, some folks might not realize there even is an issue and thus not say anything.

I would categorize issues as follows:
Major - Anything that would have affected an entire production run, like wrong ink colors, missing colors, wrong sized screens, and registration.
Isolated, Woot - One off aspects, like prints that are off-centered, crooked, blotched prints, or dirty.
Isolated, manufacturer - loose seams, holes.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Let's see, in the last year I have purchased purple Nightmoth and Retrobot, and also Study of a Drake on AA during the choice period and they came out fine as far as I can tell. Nidhogg, The Golem, Dam Good, and today Scarecrogh on Anvil and only The Golem came out kinda funky color-wise.

I've been pretty lucky quality wise.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake

Is it slanted, or are my eyes playing tricks?

trekmiss

Narfcake wrote:Is it slanted, or are my eyes playing tricks?

Looks crooked to me.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:Looks crooked to me.

sigh.

I'll double check with a tape measure later; my track record sure seems worse whenever I'm first or last. Annoying, to say the least, since it was never an issue in the past even when I was first AND last.

ETA: (click to enlarge)

11/16" difference over 8-7/8" - take the inverse tangent, and it's skewed 4.43 degrees.

5" of non-print on the shirt's left, 3" on the right - so it's off center by an inch at the top, more on the bottom.

norkia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norkia

I bought Another Sleepless Day to replace an AA original run shirt that I lost on a vacation and I realized immediately that the green inks on this print have so little contrast. The owl and shading in the tree are virtually indistinguishable unless exposed to bright light. I couldn't photograph it well, but the first image is how it looks exposed to a bright light (camera flash) and the second image is in indoor lighting:

I understand that they might have had to tweak the green hue of the tree to compensate for a different shirt blank, but it looks like a single solid silhouette that loses out on some of the detail that made the image so charming.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
norkia wrote:I bought Another Sleepless Day to replace an AA original run shirt that I lost on a vacation and I realized immediately that the green inks on this print have so little contrast. The owl and shading in the tree are virtually indistinguishable unless exposed to bright light. I couldn't photograph it well, but the first image is how it looks exposed to a bright light (camera flash) and the second image is in indoor lighting:

I understand that they might have had to tweak the green hue of the tree to compensate for a different shirt blank, but it looks like a single solid silhouette that loses out on some of the detail that made the image so charming.

The color shift is due to direct to garment printing that uses CMYK four color process inks to print versus spot color. Since almost all images submitted to Woot are in RGB and weren't designed with CMYK gamut range in mind, you get color shifts like this. In my opinion this isn't that bad but if comparing to a screen printed original yes it will look different. The only way to correct for that is to print several images of each design and tweak colors to fit more closely to the original. The problem is that Woot has thousands of designs they'd have to do that to and it's not practical or cost effective to do it or expect them to. Sorry :S

trekmiss

Ugh, I ordered a shirt in the shirt wootoff that was supposed to print on AA. Notice it says that men's XL will print on AA.

What I received today was on Anvil.

I already contacted support. We'll see what happens. I stood by my word when I said I'd buy it if was AA. Wonder if I'll get it on AA?

ETA: Refund issued,so I guess I won't get it on AA. :-( I think I'll apply the refund toward ordering Kitty Gratis from the current Plus Sale, which has an orange and a purple shirt, both of which will be AA.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 26 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

I thought side sale items were still supposed to be silk screen printing? Like, that was the point of it being a side sale item.

I bought "You Weren't Invited" a month or whenever ago and the result was a rather throw-up looking digital print, rather than a nice vibrant silk screened print. I was disappointed but decided I'd just suck it up since I am very picky and end up fussing a lot about my orders around here.

Did Woot change their operating procedure for side sales in the recent few months? There are a lot of designs I wouldn't suggest for digital printing, but I figured I could just avoid the digital catalog. Do I need to be concerned about which items I buy in side sales?

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Narfcake

Welcome to the family. Unlike round #2 of the purples (lower left), the colors came out alright this time ...

Being Anvil Honduras, the neck line is as wide as an AA 3XL, though. I should have light blue thread ...

... but dang it, one of the shirt wranglers had to shed or something ...

Though it's not as bad as what Neuro experienced(1), still, just once it'd be nice to receive a Fresh Cake without any faults like my original olive shirts ...

trekmiss

It's really sad and rather annoying that ordering a shirt continues to be a crapshoot on whether you'll get a good one.

Narfcake

tjost wrote:... The problem is that Woot has thousands of designs they'd have to do that to and it's not practical or cost effective to do it or expect them to. Sorry :S

Revisiting a slightly older comment - they've also printed thousands of products on their DTG printer already, and given that every ink color on every shirt has a Pantone color/number associated, one would think that they've had way more than enough time to properly dial in the profiles.

There were 13 orders of Schrodinger's Cat long sleeve; shouldn't that have meant 13 opportunities to yield a good color profile? I would've liked a reprint if the colors were going to come out decent; I was refunded instead. This is in addition to all that were sold DTG in t-shirt form too, so the only explanation I can think of is "we don't care".

I would love to be proven wrong about this, BTW.

Yes, I've received products printed correctly here too, which I don't chime about. Alas, my rate of issues is still like 1 out of 3 ... and that shouldn't be happening.

Annoying? Indeed.

ETA: Yep, just about 1 of 3. 10 issues on 32 non-random products in the last 9 months, not all of which were reported to support@woot. Still, against sound logic, I bought the "last" Cephalopod's Garden (#734) before the reckoning. Odds it'll arrive fine? Hmmm ...

How does shirt.woot compare to other shirt sites which I've purchased at least 30 shirts from? My total product issues for all orders are 1 from GoodJoe (print issue right when they went DTG), 1 from TeeTurtle (for a shirt manufacturing issue; TT is 0 for print issues), and 0 from DBH. I order too few from other sites to offer meaningful stats otherwise.

It wasn't like this at Woot in the past ...

Narfcake

Narfcake wrote:... Still, against sound logic, I bought the "last" Cephalopod's Garden (#734) before the reckoning. Odds it'll arrive fine? Hmmm ...

I was slow to double check my last order ... and I like jinxed myself, didn't I?

Just adding to the statistic. It's not off-centered quite so badly to be a major detriment, but it's still off.

trekmiss

Sigh... I decided I could deal with the Anvil blank enough to order last year's UHS from the $12 catalog sale. Well, it's crooked, and the DTG colors aren't quite right, though I could live with the color issue. I get so frustrated with the printing issues. Even though they always try to make things right, it seems it would be better for their profit to get it right the first time!

trekmiss

So is it the norm, now, to just issue a refund instead of printing the shirt right?

thumperchick

trekmiss wrote:So is it the norm, now, to just issue a refund instead of printing the shirt right?

Looks like it.

artchase

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artchase

I had the same problem with my holiday 2013 shirt. The print was not straight and very obvious with just a casual glance. While it is nice of woot to issue a refund I'm still a little sad that I won't be showing off a new ugly sweater shirt this year.

Oh well

trekmiss

The message that sends to me is that they don't even care to try, anymore. I'm not sure if that's the truth, but it sure communicates that way.

I placed the order because I wanted a good shirt for $12, not a free misprint.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:The message that sends to me is that they don't even care to try, anymore. I'm not sure if that's the truth, but it sure communicates that way.

I placed the order because I wanted a good shirt for $12, not a free misprint.

Likewise. I felt this way when I was refunded on the DTG of Schrödinger's cat l/s too.

We comment here because we want shirt.woot to improve themselves, not because we like to whine. There will always be some production faults, no doubt, but to happen to the same Wooters, time after time again? That's probably not just coincidence; that's inherent issues.

Shirt.woot operates differently from all the other Woot sites in that the items offered are produced, not procured. Still, Woot should be the one doing the Q.C. checking, not the customers. Not everyone is aware of support, and those who are displeased simply become non-customers ... and how is Woot supposed to grow if folks keep leaving?

The answer is: they can't.

The bungled bundles highlighted some missed communications between the various divisions - so would it be possible to direct all the shirt.woot related issues to one department instead?

"We already have 3 dedicated reps and it still isn't enough sometimes!" - A comment regarding their CS by another shirt site I buy from, and last I can tell, their sales volume is less than shirt.woot's.

I don't expect any change to come overnight, but without improvement, I could only see shirt.woot getting smaller. And that's a sad thought.

vivbot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages vivbot

Still haven't bothered to try getting fixes for my black-robot I...GOT...IT!, or my registration-problem Wizard of "Aw"s, but debating if I should now that I've received an off-center Health Food... It's not super off-center, but definitely noticeable when I tried the shirt on =_=

And apparently I missed when Shirt.Woot started doing some designs on MS in the women's/kid's print sizes? I ordered Black Beast of Aaarrrrrgghh, and not only is the design smaller than I wanted (and really sad-looking because of it), it also sits super awkwardly above and on the top half of my chest, making me look like I have the boobage of a tween. Which is a shame because I was REALLY excited about that shirt, and now I can't even bring myself to wear it in public. And I can't go up to a men's M because those are dresses on me, and I'd rather not switch back to women's sizes because the designs are dinky and I like shirts with length. Aaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!

theco2

quality posts: 89 Private Messages theco2

That's it; I'm not look at any of my shirts! I'm just going to wear them, until the seams disintegrate and/or the neck becomes ridiculously large. I do enjoy the hoodies and hopefully I will have less problems with those.

I already know my Zombeer zip-up is off centered, but I guess I'm probably stuck with it, after a big run around with a previous Shirt.Woot Woot-off.

And on that note, I'm done buying Shirt.Woot t-shirts (unless I see the perfect t-shirt on AA). I may still buy hoodies, if I see desirable ones.

norkia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norkia

I realized my Another Sleepless Day tee was (or became) even worse than expected.
Image link for large size

I've worn it once or twice before but never noticed all of those blotches on the backside until now. Did it run in the wash? Maybe, but for an $18 shirt- and none of my other tees were affected, nor do these blotches appear on the front of the shirt- I would expect better, even from Anvil. I guess I won't be wearing this one without a jacket.

Narfcake

norkia wrote:I realized my Another Sleepless Day tee was (or became) even worse than expected.
Image link for large size

I had one shirt which got all blotchy after a wash, and it was attributed to the manufacturer.

So Woot ... can you lighten up the tree's green (issue as noted previously) and offer a reprint for @norkia? I have my screen printed copy here if you need something for reference.

Narfcake

I have to admit, shirt.woot - you guys impress me!

FC on light pink arrived looking like this ...

Okay, so what's wrong? The registration is good, and the colors are fine ... okay, well, there's not much contrast between the shirt and the text/movement lines, and hmmm, is AA's light pink really that dark? Good thing I have a pink AA shirt, albeit worn, I can compare it to ...

Hmmmm ... light it's not. Maybe Woot left AA's product sticker inside, which can offer some confirmation ...

Indeed!

Congratulations, shirt.woot! - I knew you guys are an inventive bunch, and in spite of the wide variety of print, blanks, and shipping blunders you've done before, you still found one you haven't done yet - use the WRONG COLOR BLANK!

trekmiss

Narfcake wrote:
...WRONG COLOR BLANK!

I'm wondering if you're going to contact support, and if you do, I'm curious how they will respond.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:I'm wondering if you're going to contact support, and if you do, I'm curious how they will respond.

Support ... respond?!? Well, maybe if they got poked by one of the mods (of which I don't know which one of you did last week, but thank you, as I received my missing order of AA long sleeves yesterday.) ...

Seriously, though, I don't intend to submit a ticket for this, as I didn't feel it detracting enough to matter ... though if offered, I wouldn't turn down a coupon applicable to a future bungl- um, order either.

intensefancypink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages intensefancypink

Yep, my Fresh Cake shirt was also printed on a pink blank, and not on light pink, as it should've been.
I wonder how many other people have had this happen with their shirts?
Come on, woot! You can do better than this....

manhandsha

quality posts: 40 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

intensefancypink wrote:Yep, my Fresh Cake shirt was also printed on a pink blank, and not on light pink, as it should've been.
I wonder how many other people have had this happen with their shirts?
Come on, woot! You can do better than this....

Sorry guys. :|

Please email your order number and user name to support@woot.com. I let them know what's up, but they'll need to hear from you, too.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.