orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
rockonkatie wrote:Is anyone having issues with the printing on re-prints? Maybe it's the DTG but I think my shirts look terrible.

I ordered 3 shirts, The Convenient Tiny Chair (for my husband), The Artist, and Playing Koi.

I guess I should have done my homework on DTG beforehand, but the shirts look awful in my opinion. The images look grainy/dotty/pixelated. Just terrible. Each image looks like it has diagonal lines running across it. The paw prints in "The Artist" are so tiny that the lines make them indiscernible. Many just look like pink blobs. The lovely water drops in Playing Koi are destroyed by the lines. The Tiny Chair doesn't looks too awful, but it doesn't have any large sections of solid colors anyway.

I have to admit that I had never seen the "originals" of any of these shirts, for comparison, but I doubt these images were intended to look like this. I've included images of the shirts (sorry for the poor quality/lighting). Is it just me or is the print quality kind of appalling?

It's just you. Those look pretty good, actually. I have a screen printed version of The Artist, and I was confused by the diagonal halftone lines too. It's just the way the artist chose the render the file to be print ready. I personally think that in most cases, dots are superior to lines, but it seems that most Woot artists use lines for some reason.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
orabbit wrote:... I personally think that in most cases, dots are superior to lines, but it seems that most Woot artists use lines for some reason.

"I find that round halftones are great for flatter shading, while line halftones give a little more of a rounded look to me. So if you are using halftones to try to make something look three-dimensional, think about using a line halftone. For shadows on the ground, backgrounds, etc., a round halftone might serve you better. It really is a matter of personal preference though."

Source: Ramy B's halftone tutorial (... which apparently isn't in the Artists Resources forum, so if a mod is reading this and can move that tutorial over there, it'd be nice.)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Narfcake wrote:Source: Ramy B's halftone tutorial ... which apparently isn't in the Artists Resources forum.

Because the "Artists Resources" has been cast aside in neglect like last year's hot toy.
Occasionally, some kid will come along and kick it across the room by accident, but mostly it stays under the couch collecting dust and dog fur with three cheerios and a lego piece.

move along

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
orabbit wrote:It's just you. Those look pretty good, actually. I have a screen printed version of The Artist, and I was confused by the diagonal halftone lines too. It's just the way the artist chose the render the file to be print ready. I personally think that in most cases, dots are superior to lines, but it seems that most Woot artists use lines for some reason.

I almost always go for lines. They tend to be more forgiving in the printing process than dots as they won't blob up if they overlap, and for similar reasons can get thinner than dots.

I usually go for dots though in my sketchier designs. Lines look odd with them.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

Woot support was nice enough to send me a replacement Cheese is A Liederkranz shirt, and on the positive side, the quality is very consistent! Exactly identical to the first. Unfortunately the colors still look muted, but that just gives me some motivation to go through boxes and find my original!

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123

Received my ugly holiday sweater long-sleeve T (AA yay!) earlier this week and noticed that the print is about an inch closer to the left seem than the right at the bottom. makes everything a little off. I probably wouldn't have noticed if the design wasn't so large and rectangular. Not a deal breaker, but thought I would share. With big patterns like the 'sweater' shirts, it is very important to make sure it is centered and not askew, because it is much easier to notice.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
davemays123 wrote:Received my ugly holiday sweater long-sleeve T (AA yay!) earlier this week and noticed that the print is about an inch closer to the left seem than the right at the bottom. makes everything a little off. I probably wouldn't have noticed if the design wasn't so large and rectangular. Not a deal breaker, but thought I would share. With big patterns like the 'sweater' shirts, it is very important to make sure it is centered and not askew, because it is much easier to notice.

Got pics?

I'm just hanging out, really.

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Not exactly a quality control issue but I don't want to clutter the forum with a new post for a small suggestion:

I got my Seasons Greetings cards and was a little sad that the artist's name wasn't printed on it next to the site url. In the future maybe "designed by:" could be added to the cards?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kinzoku wrote:Not exactly a quality control issue but I don't want to clutter the forum with a new post for a small suggestion:

I got my Seasons Greetings cards and was a little sad that the artist's name wasn't printed on it next to the site url. In the future maybe "designed by:" could be added to the cards?

Great suggestion! I passed it on to the shirt staff.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123
inkycatz wrote:Got pics?

I don't upload pictures to the internet and don't plan on starting an account somewhere, uploading a picture, and figuring out how to format the post so it will show a picture all for a $15 or $20 t-shirt that I don't have a big enough issue with to request a replacement/refund.

Just trying to help out by giving some feedback on your quality control issues.

j5

davemays123 wrote:I don't upload pictures to the internet and don't plan on starting an account somewhere, uploading a picture, and figuring out how to format the post so it will show a picture all for a $15 or $20 t-shirt that I don't have a big enough issue with to request a replacement/refund.

Just trying to help out by giving some feedback on your quality control issues.

imgur.com doesn't require an account and has the bonus feature of providing the bbcode (As well as HTML and whatnot, but you need bbcode here) to properly format your picture for awesome web posting.
Knowledge is power.

move along

cherrybear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cherrybear

I like a bigger print on my shirt. Maybe I'm crazy for not wanting the design in the dead center of my chest. I like the shirts for the designs, not for the sake of high fashion. I know not everyone is my shape and this may matter to some, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose

Well, it's been a few weeks, but I guess I have to buckle down and say something. I bought one of the purple shirts -- the Playful Foxes remix.

It's pretty bad. The ink is really thick and ugly -- you can feel its heavy weight from the inside, so it's not comfortable. Also it's not aligned very well-- there are holes between different colors, and looks cheap -- if I had bought it on ebay I'd be outraged and assume it was a counterfeit Woot Shirt.

None of my other shirts are like that -- even ones with huge prints. They're all very detailed and lightly printed. I'm looking at my Khione long-sleeve right now and the quality is really, really nice.

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/khione-long-sleeve-tee

So what gives? I figured there was no point in asking for a replacement, if this is just the new normal Woot quality. I'm just sad. I LOVE the purple color, but the shirt just looks awful and makes me feel bad when I look at it, so I have to hide it in a bottom drawer...

inkycatz

Invisiblemoose wrote:So what gives? I figured there was no point in asking for a replacement, if this is just the new normal Woot quality. I'm just sad. I LOVE the purple color, but the shirt just looks awful and makes me feel bad when I look at it, so I have to hide it in a bottom drawer...

We don't want you to feel bad. Have you tried seeing what support@woot.com can do for you? They don't like sad people either.

Narfcake

Invisiblemoose wrote:So what gives? I figured there was no point in asking for a replacement, if this is just the new normal Woot quality. I'm just sad. ...

I still wouldn't say it's the new norm, but sometimes it doesn't seem too far off either.

Much of the QC discussion for the purple shirts happened in the thread itself, starting here. There wasn't much discussed about PF; pics of your shirt will be helpful.

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
Narfcake wrote:Much of the QC discussion for the purple shirts happened in the thread itself, starting here. There wasn't much discussed about PF; pics of your shirt will be helpful.

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's the same trouble with registration you had: http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5208341&pageindex=5&replycount=224#post5228885

Mine's a bit worse than yours in that regard, though.

The thick, pasty feeling of the ink is hard to show in a photo -- it's just a striking difference in quality compared to my (many) other Woot shirts. I know I've seen the same complaint mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'll take a photo when I'm back home after Christmas, but there's really nothing new to show.

lichme

quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Here's a pic of the Monkeygeddon shirt I just got. Appears like the top is stretched right, and the bottom is stretched left. Definitely not centered.

ThunderThighs

Staff

lichme wrote:Here's a pic of the Monkeygeddon shirt I just got. Appears like the top is stretched right, and the bottom is stretched left. Definitely not centered.

It does look a bit lopsided. Sorry about that.

Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.

Also, include the link to the shirt that you posted above. They can pass that on to the shirt team. Don't attach the file though, that'll gag the email system.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Ronski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ronski
lichme wrote:Here's a pic of the Monkeygeddon shirt I just got. Appears like the top is stretched right, and the bottom is stretched left. Definitely not centered.

Mine is the same way, kinda like the whole shirt is stretched like that.
This is the first shirt I've purchased since they switched to the outsourced brand. It will also be the last, garbage. Sucks because I've seen some cool stuff too. Maybe you can just print em on some canvas I can hang on the wall (nah, wouldn't do that).
Anyone want to come to my pity party, lots of whining?

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick
Ronski wrote:Mine is the same way, kinda like the whole shirt is stretched like that.
This is the first shirt I've purchased since they switched to the outsourced brand. It will also be the last, garbage. Sucks because I've seen some cool stuff too. Maybe you can just print em on some canvas I can hang on the wall (nah, wouldn't do that).
Anyone want to come to my pity party, lots of whining?

Be sure to email support@woot.com

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

What is the point of reporting a print error if the replacement is JUST AS WRONG?

From the email reply:

Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.

Sorry for the bad print. We’ve got a replacement available, so we’ll ship it out to you as soon as we can. Once it ships, you should receive an email with the tracking information.

Well, yeah. I got the new one, and the colors are identical. It's not ONE bad print, it's the whole batch. The colors are completely off from the mockup. What are the options here?

For reference, this is 2 shirts. The 'wrong color' original and the replacement. Guess which is which...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

norkia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norkia

I received The Discovery of Fire in the mail today and immediately knew something was off as I used to own the shirt from the original run but since lost it. Not only does the yellow seem less warm than it was on my previous shirt as well as the picture on the website (unfortunately my camera doesn't catch the color issue well), but it looks like it was double-printed as noted by the extremely narrow eye opening, two beak points, and double squiggly lines.

I've already e-mailed support, but still bummed that the quality hasn't been consistent so replacing my lost shirts feels like a moot effort.

thumperchick

Mavyn wrote:What is the point of reporting a print error if the replacement is JUST AS WRONG?

From the email reply:

Well, yeah. I got the new one, and the colors are identical. It's not ONE bad print, it's the whole batch. The colors are completely off from the mockup. What are the options here?

For reference, this is 2 shirts. The 'wrong color' original and the replacement. Guess which is which...

The option is to tell them again, if it takes them 5 replacements to get it right, that's what they'll need to do.

arryielle

Well, out of the blue yesterday I got another copy of the Cheese is a Liederkranz which has the slight scent of vinegar (meaning a DTG print), but looks just as amazing as the screen printed copy! The colors are actually vibrant and beautiful! Unfortunately, the back of the shirt didn't print, but I'm thinking of maybe making a pillow or something out of it instead :-)

ThunderThighs

Staff

arryielle wrote:Well, out of the blue yesterday I got another copy of the Cheese is a Liederkranz which has the slight scent of vinegar (meaning a DTG print), but looks just as amazing as the screen printed copy! The colors are actually vibrant and beautiful! Unfortunately, the back of the shirt didn't print, but I'm thinking of maybe making a pillow or something out of it instead :-)

Whoops, sounds like they forgot to turn it over for the 2nd side. Be sure to email support@woot.com for assistance. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.

Mavyn

No response to my second email. I'm disappointed that not only do I have little reason to expect any correction, but I apparently won't even get the courtesy of being told that.

j5

Mavyn wrote:No response to my second email. I'm disappointed that not only do I have little reason to expect any correction, but I apparently won't even get the courtesy of being told that.

Did you reply to the original or generate a new one?
(wondering if the CSM software stops sending emails on closed cases)

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:Did you reply to the original or generate a new one?
(wondering if the CSM software stops sending emails on closed cases)

Generated a new one, assigned case number: CAS-127563-X8L1W2. Original was: CAS-118686-Z3Q3S0.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Generated a new one, assigned case number: CAS-127563-X8L1W2. Original was: CAS-118686-Z3Q3S0.

Sorry about that. Let me email them and see if that helps.

Mavyn

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry about that. Let me email them and see if that helps.

Got a response, thank you.

Narfcake

*sigh* ...

But first, some background ... and note what's said from 0:48 to 0:58.

Anyways ... top is one of my (many) UnNinja shirts, bottom is the side sale hoodie ... click to enlarge:

I really don't understand why registration has become an issue in recent times ...

kyl191

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyl191
Narfcake wrote:I really don't understand why registration has become an issue in recent times ...

I've got less worries about the registration than colour strangeness that's going on:

I'm not sure what's up with the colours, but the DTG seems to have faded the red (and pretty much only the red), and as in the picture above, given some of the colours a strange sheen, so the DTG people might want to look into that again...

Also, anyone else have an issue where their shirts arrived with the print already peeling?

inkycatz

kyl191 wrote:(issue)

Sounds like you may want to contact support@woot.com about that. Sorry about that!

thumperchick

Is woot support having a serious problem with their email system? Or are we just hearing about the .01% of problems all in one spot?

j5

You know what?
I'm done with this.
My daughter wore her "underworld blossom" shirt today and the print is crooked.
blah blah email service@woot
blah blah now it's support@woot
Forget it!
Since it was print to order, the best I can hope for is a refund. I'm not interested in a refund. I want to order a shirt and have it fit and be right the first time. I tired of having to be vigilant and inspect every shirt when it arrives on the off chance I can get a replacement when it's wrong (and judging by Mavyn's experience, the replacement might not be worth my effort to acquire anyway)
It's not worth it.
Let me know when you get your shirt together.

Look over here:http://dayoftheshirt.com/
See how many shirt-a-day sites there are?
bleh.

move along

arryielle

I finally got a chance to get a picture of all my portal mice shirts, and I thought I'd share. I meant to post these over a month ago and never had the time!

The top row is AA, the left one is the long-sleeved version, and the right one is from the original run. The bottom row are all Anvil, the left most being a DTG, middle is a screen-printed side-sale, and the right was the first DTG I got. They're in the same order between each picture (and I didn't buy the bottom left one - it randomly showed up for me in the mail one day smelling slightly of vinegar (DTG) and only one side printed! Since I didn't order it though, I didn't ask for or get a replacement for it). I also didn't fold them well, so placement is not an issue.

Parkertron

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Parkertron

I've gotten quite a few shirts in recent history that have had loose seams and/or badly pressed hems from the bag. I usually just fix it myself, but it's getting too consistent now(as in more often than not) for something that is literally new. If I were at a store I would pilfer through the pile and find a good one, this option is not available here. What is the process for dealing with this.

And now for something completely different. Why is it a medium shirt is 29 (29&3/8" if long sleeve) inches long, but a medium sweatshirt is 27 inches in length? Shouldn't a sweatshirt be the same or longer, looks tacky to me if the shirt is poking out from under. I am also tall, about two meters, which is why I notice this. That two inches puts the sweatshirt above my waistline a lot, especially since it is stretchy on the bottom and rides up as time goes by. Can there be a tall in future if this never changes?

I am pleased with the long sleeves so far.

ps By sweatshirts I mean hoodies.

Mavyn

Parkertron wrote:I've gotten quite a few shirts in recent history that have had loose seams and/or badly pressed hems from the bag. I usually just fix it myself, but it's getting too consistent now(as in more often than not) for something that is literally new. If I were at a store I would pilfer through the pile and find a good one, this option is not available here. What is the process for dealing with this.

And now for something completely different. Why is it a medium shirt is 29 (29&3/8" if long sleeve) inches long, but a medium sweatshirt is 27 inches in length? Shouldn't a sweatshirt be the same or longer, looks tacky to me if the shirt is poking out from under. I am also tall, about two meters, which is why I notice this. That two inches puts the sweatshirt above my waistline a lot, especially since it is stretchy on the bottom and rides up as time goes by. Can there be a tall in future if this never changes?

I am pleased with the long sleeves so far.

ps By sweatshirts I mean hoodies.

If the shirt has issues, contact support@woot.com, and provide links to pictures of the problem (links, since attachments may cause your email to be rejected for size constraints). They can have another sent out, but be warned...the replacement might have the same issue. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Regarding the differences in lengths...frustrating, but since these are different product, with different manufacturers, sizes are not standardized.

And I can completely relate to the height issues. I doubt Woot is going to start offering tall sizes, since neither Anvil nor AA offer them in the color range used.

mxjx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mxjx

Sorry to post a sizing issue in a thread about printing issues but this thread seems more alive than any one that turned up when I search "sizing issues" and I'm desperate to be heard.

I ordered "Saving the World" a year ago and got a shirt that was smaller than it's stated (chest) measurement but didn't realize it until 5 mths later when I finally ordered another tee & used "Saving the World" as a factor in my size choice. Way to late to get a replacement so I was thrilled to see it in the Special Inks side sale. I emailed support to see if I could get a replacement but haven't heard anything. I'd really like to get this in a size I can wear.

Sizing Info for order
Actual shirt

Thanks!

j5

I went to wear mine the other day, same issue. It went on the Goodwill pile.

move along