psearles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psearles

So I decided to put my two cents in after reading this post and relising that I'm not the only person having these issues.

I used to by Woot shirts all the time, I have a whole closet full. I was always happy with the sizing, the quality and the designs.

Then I ordered my last shirt, I ordered the same size that I always had previously which was a WXL, they had just recently changed to a new sizing chart, but according to the chart this was still the correct size.

When I received it was apparent that it was the wrong size. It was a men's size not a women's size. The thing was huge, I would have fit three of me in it. I contacted Woot, and they claimed it was their new sizing chart that it wasn't wrong. The size on an WXL is a 24" chest, this thing was large enough that I ended up giving to my friend who is 200lbs, and it fit her.

Woot refused to admit that they may have messed up, and wouldn't give me a refund. Now I'm looking at the shirt today, which I would love to order, but how can I when I have no idea what size to order, and if it is wrong they won't do anything about it.

Woot has to relise that they won't have their customer's forever if they keep treating them this way.

BTW my best friend ordered a shirt not long after me and her order of a WXL was right.

norkia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norkia

Did anyone else buy Nocturnowl and have an odd blotch in the moon when looking at it glow in the dark? I can't even take a picture, but it looks so uniform (like an oval with two eyes and a mouth/nose in the middle) that I'm not sure if it's even supposed to be there.

ETA: Finagled my camera to take pictures in the dark, here's what I got:

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

norkia wrote:Did anyone else buy Nocturnowl and have an odd blotch in the moon when looking at it glow in the dark? I can't even take a picture, but it looks so uniform (like an oval with two eyes and a mouth/nose in the middle) that I'm not sure if it's even supposed to be there.

Seems a bit weird but CS can find out for sure. Send an email with the links to the photos or this post to support@woot.com. They'll help you out.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake

Sigh again ... and I really don't understand what's going on there ...

Color comparison against last time ... where's the brightness in the frosting? It's so ... dull.

Registration problems ... again ...

More registration ...

... and to add extra insult ...

The thread isn't loose - it's that it got serged without the sleeve overlapping. Not Woot's fault here, though.

FWIW, a replacement shirt is NOT going to change the colors or registration issues. I'm pretty sure that much like last time, the entire run got affected.

scm_15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scm_15

I also received my Fresh Cake shirt order in the mail with issues. I have emailed support (with pictures) and am hoping for a replacement which will be presentable enough to give as a gift. The registration was also off on mine, as it was on Narfcakes, but also the print size is enormous. The print is twice the size as it is on all of my other Fresh Cake shirts. I would venture to guess that they used the size for the back of the LW Hoodies for the front of my woman’s shirt. I did order 2 of the hoodies as well, they have not arrived yet. Hopefully they don’t have registration issues as well. I have had minor print issues with woot shirts in the past and have not bothered to post or even email support, but I just can’t let something this erroneous slide. It really ruins one of the most beloved designs this site has to offer.

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick

What a coincidence. Mine had registration issues, dark ink, and I'm pretty sure that giant print on the WXL AA shirt will sit in my armpits.

*sigh* I guess I should email support, but I'm just having a hard time making myself care that much.

On a side note, I know that they did change the print size for the WXL shirts to be the same as the print size on the ML shirts, because the Anvil WXL shirts are the same size as a ML. Perhaps they used that rule on this run for the AA WXL's as well.

thumperchick

And now my copy of Winter Has Come has arrived, and the GITD ink is visible from across the room, completely ruining the surprise effect of the shirt.
For some reason, the camera is having a difficult time picking up what the eye easily spots. My husband walked out of his office and immediately said, "Why can I see the walkers?"

So, I finally cracked and ordered some Anvil shirts, in the hopes that the print will be worth the terrible fit. Well, the print ruined it too. I've received 3 shirts in the last week, only one of them was printed properly. There's one more on the way now and it's the last I'll be ordering unless there's a major change.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
thumperchick wrote:And now my copy of Winter Has Come has arrived, and the GITD ink is visible from across the room, completely ruining the surprise effect of the shirt.
For some reason, the camera is having a difficult time picking up was the eye easily spots. My husband walked out of his office and immediately said, "Why can I see the walkers?"

What kind of lights do you have in your house? Fluorescent, incandescent, LED?

move along

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
j5 wrote:What kind of lights do you have in your house? Fluorescent, incandescent, LED?

Black Light.

thumperchick

j5 wrote:What kind of lights do you have in your house? Fluorescent, incandescent, LED?

Everything is CFL. But it was daytime, with the shades open, too. Now I'm going to google the effect of different lighting on GITD.

Update: Woot refunded me for Winter Has Come. They offered either a replacement or refund - the last time I had an ink issue, it affected the entire run, and each shirt they sent to replace was no better than the original. So, I figured I'd save the hassle this time.

kevlar51

I'm not sure if this is really the right thread for this--it might be more of a policy question than quality, but I've been a bit miffed lately as a lot of my shirt orders have come arrived with DTG printing rather than screen printing.

I was under the impression that we'd only get DTG prints if we ordered $18 catalog shirts, not reckoning or plus-sale shirts.

thumperchick

kevlar51 wrote:I'm not sure if this is really the right thread for this--it might be more of a policy question than quality, but I've been a bit miffed lately as a lot of my shirt orders have come arrived with DTG printing rather than screen printing.

I was under the impression that we'd only get DTG prints if we ordered $18 catalog shirts, not reckoning or plus-sale shirts.

I would call that a legitimate quality control concern. The side sale shirts are advertised as screen printed - so they should be screen printed.

Narfcake

kevlar51 wrote:... I was under the impression that we'd only get DTG prints if we ordered $18 catalog shirts, not reckoning or plus-sale shirts.

Given some of their printing issues (hence, this thread!), you might just be better off with the DTG print.

From my outside perspective, it seems that they are having inventory issues - again. I'm sensing that from the color limitations in recent derbies and still having so many random t-shirts to sell despite last week being the third multi-day random event in three months; in the past years, multiple sizes would regularly sell out before the day was even over.

As sales have continued to decline, I'm guessing that they have lowered the estimated shelf stock for reckoning sales too. That could mean that they'll be sold out sooner in some sizes; in such cases, instead of setting up the automatic press just because they're a few shirts shy in one size, they'll DTG those instead until there's more demand in additional sizes to setup/run the press.

Given the pair of recent polls, along with an random invite only poll, I won't be surprised if a change is in store for them and what they're doing now is balancing what they have left, to minimize the transition mishaps of last year.

j5

Narfcake wrote:Given some of their printing issues (hence, this thread!), you might just be better off with the DTG print.

From my outside perspective, it seems that they are having inventory issues - again. I'm sensing that from the color limitations in recent derbies and still having so many random t-shirts to sell despite last week being the third multi-day random event in three months; in the past years, multiple sizes would regularly sell out before the day was even over.

As sales have continued to decline, I'm guessing that they have lowered the estimated shelf stock for reckoning sales too. That could mean that they'll be sold out sooner in some sizes; in such cases, instead of setting up the automatic press just because they're a few shirts shy in one size, they'll DTG those instead until there's more demand in additional sizes to setup/run the press.

Given the pair of recent polls, along with an random invite only poll, I won't be surprised if a change is in store for them and what they're doing now is balancing what they have left, to minimize the transition mishaps of last year.

QFT. Interesting developments are indeed afoot.

move along

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

One can hope they're doing something, and making a positive change for once. I've almost completely stopped buying shirts since November (gave in for That's No Moon).

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

kevlar51 wrote:I'm not sure if this is really the right thread for this--it might be more of a policy question than quality, but I've been a bit miffed lately as a lot of my shirt orders have come arrived with DTG printing rather than screen printing.

I think Joel may have just addressed your concerns in another thread:

joelterrific wrote:To clarify on the Screen vs. Digital question it's useful to understand the economics a bit. Depending on your screenprinter and how they manage their workflow, they might want 72+ units to justify the cost of screens and set up. There are a lot of factors to consider (# of colors, garment, etc), but in our case, we can generally set up a screen print if we have more than 25 orders for a design (generally, NOT always). Digital printing has helped us fill in the gap. In some cases (more than we might have thought) our added selection means we have items in a +Sale that sell 4-12 units. In this case, we can't justify setting up 8+ screens. The economics don't work. But with DTG, we have the ability to print these low numbers and make you happy (mostly anyway). Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the volume to promise a screenprint every time, but having this flexibility is good for our selection and allows us to 'experiment' with a design or product type we might not be able to otherwise.

I hope that helps.

kevlar51

goldenthorn wrote:
I think Joel may have just addressed your concerns in another thread

Indeed! Thanks!

Narfcake

Since it makes more sense to continue on Joel's post here instead of in the side sale thread ...

joelterrific wrote:... Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the volume to promise a screenprint every time, ...

You folks know what needs to be done to bring volume back up. Even so, it's not going to be automatic, as those who have left may never come back, as they've moved onto other sites.

For every complaint in this or other threads, there are plenty more who didn't speak up and simply chalked it up to "I'm not coming back." I'm basing that on thrift store racks - Woot shirts, less than a year old, cast away already, typically in a stretched and shrunken mess. That suggests me there was enough disinterest in the product, so much so that they were "disposable". In some cases, the shirts were recent enough to still be available in the reckoning (excluding the two mainstays).

Anecdotal? Perhaps, but looking at the extreme drop in derby votes, sale figures, and community participation (that doesn't involve complaints), it's truly sad how far it's fallen here. With less traffic, I won't be surprised if ad revenue has dropped too, hurting Woot even more.

thumperchick

And the misprint strikes again.
My copy of State of Denial has arrived... and the smaller font with its "distressing" is unreadable.
When I first looked at it - I cleaned my glasses, but no go. It's not a good look.

ETA - this is what it's supposed to look like:

thumperchick

So, I seem to have inherited J5's luck. I've ordered 6 shirt.woot products so far in 2013. 3 have been misprinted and 1 has been lost in shipping and a month later, I'm still waiting for that to be resolved (though, I've been told a replacement is on the way.) 2 have arrived on time, and in the condition they should be.

HALF of them are misprints. This means either: a) I am overly picky or b) There is a serious Quality Control issue in shirt.woot land. I'm thinking it's more B. Ramped up output requires ramping up staff...

The awesome option of AA for $1 more doesn't do a thing for me if I can't get a shirt printed right.

Super frustrating.

Narfcake

thumperchick wrote:And the misprint strikes again.
My copy of State of Denial has arrived...

For comparison, my size ML copy arrived looking like this ...

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I really think that the problems with State of Denial are the artist's responsibility, not woot's. "Distressed" fonts don't work well, especially when sized-down for the women's shirts. (Thumperchick, does yours have a smaller-sized screen? If not, I'll dig mine up and post a picture, but I feel like I've spent enough time doing that this year and I don't really feel like doing it!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

gertiestn

quality posts: 53 Private Messages gertiestn

Once again: AFAIC, when a shirt arrives that differs remarkably in quality from the picture that Woot! showed of what is purported to be the shirt in question, I think the problem ain't with the artist; it's with Woot! If Woot! has to impose standards on fonts, colors & sizes of words to ensure that shirts are as legible as the pictures we're ordering from, they should do so.

As it is, Woot has my money & I have a shirt that ain't what I ordered because it ain't as pictured.

I think I've now been officially cured of ordering shirts from Woot!

thumperchick

neuropsychosocial wrote:... especially when sized-down for the women's shirts. (Thumperchick, does yours have a smaller-sized screen? If not, I'll dig mine up and post a picture, but I feel like I've spent enough time doing that this year and I don't really feel like doing it!)

I bought a ML on AA. (BTW - the WXL is now the same print size as ML, unless they made an adjustment for AA.)

I really think that at the end of the day, the print quality and printibility (?) of the design comes down to woot. If you have to squint to make out text, adjust something. In this case - the original design may have some flaws, but the printing issues seem to go beyond that - just look at the now darkened background and the sad, dark hill.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
thumperchick wrote:I bought a ML on AA. (BTW - the WXL is now the same print size as ML, unless they made an adjustment for AA.)

I really think that at the end of the day, the print quality and printibility (?) of the design comes down to woot. If you have to squint to make out text, adjust something. In this case - the original design may have some flaws, but the printing issues seem to go beyond that - just look at the now darkened background and the sad, dark hill.

The darkened background is weird. I noticed that on mine. The artist's mock-up actually shows the pantone color that's listed as the one they used for printing, so... weird. It almost looks like there should be a white underbase behind the background that wasn't put in (the rays of the sun are muted, too), but I really don't know enough about screen printing to say, "this is how it should be done!" Someone can come along and tell me I'm just talking out of my ass.

thumperchick

They're sending me a replacement, but I'm concerned that it'll be from the same run... oh well, at least customer service is still cool.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

It sounds like there are definitely some problems with the printing that I hadn't noticed and I appreciate folks pointing them out. However, screen printing, no matter how well-done or how fancy the press, has limitations that aren't always obvious in computer-rendered electronic images. The King and Queen font in size 8 is not going to be legible on a shirt, no matter what poor Flipit does to the screens.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

j5

Wellll my wife pinged me today to complain that two of her shirts are already unraveling and need resewn. Both are specialty ink, so...
yeah.
Just a data point.
Carry on.

move along

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

So I just got my first v-neck from woot in and this thing is huge! I typically order MM in AA and they fit fine, I checked the sizing chart for the v-necks and looked to be that I needed the medium there as well. The chest measures out to 21" though (instead of 20" - shouldn't be a big deal but it looks bad on me) and the shoulder width is 19.25" wide! (My It Came Out of Nowhere shirt measures to be 16 7/8 inches wide for comparison) Is this a normal thing for v-necks? This thing looks like a sleep shirt on me :-(

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
Narfcake wrote:For comparison, my size ML copy arrived looking like this ...

Yup, that's how mine looks, too. Of course, I didn't even notice until you guys pointed it out.

arryielle

Argh! I ordered Con-Solo for my husband on AA and it came in crooked! :-( Sending an email off to support now... here's to hoping they have a couple of extras still available on AA.

Also, if you refer to my post two up from here, is that normal for v-necks? The shoulder width is way bigger than a normal tee...

manhandsha

quality posts: 32 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

arryielle wrote:Argh! I ordered Con-Solo for my husband on AA and it came in crooked! :-( Sending an email off to support now... here's to hoping they have a couple of extras still available on AA.

Also, if you refer to my post two up from here, is that normal for v-necks? The shoulder width is way bigger than a normal tee...

Getting in touch with support is your best bet. Let us know how things turn out!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

arryielle

manhandsha wrote:Getting in touch with support is your best bet. Let us know how things turn out!

Unfortunately they were out of AA, so I was offered an Anvil instead, but was then informed they were out of inventory for men's large, so I was given a refund instead. I suspect the nightmare of trying to refund a single dollar (price difference between AA and Anvil) would have been too much hassle and just saying they didn't have any left was easier :-( It's especially irritating since I'll have to pay more now in hopes that I can get one that prints right. My husband refuses to wear this copy because it looks so wonky!

As for the v-neck, I was given a refund on it as well, but I still don't know if I got a badly made one, or if it's normal. It would really be nice to get someone else's feedback please!

arryielle

Got my random long sleeves in, and two were fine, but the registration (I believe that's the correct term) is off on green for the 2011 Ugly Holiday Sweater. I don't particularly want to write to support about it because I'm afraid they'll just either a.) tell me it's supposed to look like that or b.) give me a refund on all three LS randoms (from my experience, they can't/don't do partial refunds for an order, it's all or nothing). Since the other two are okay, getting a refund on all three isn't right. Does anyone know what they'll do? I also don't want to write again since out of the 6 shirts that I've ordered in the past month (with 3 being random LS), this will be the third to write to them about. Half of my orders? Ugh.

My camera doesn't quite do it justice, but you can definitely tell the white, red and brown "stitches" are sharp, while the green ones are fuzzy.

thumperchick

thumperchick wrote:They're sending me a replacement, but I'm concerned that it'll be from the same run... oh well, at least customer service is still cool.

Just an update - the replacement for State of Denial never showed up. Oh well. They did get me my random hoodie that disappeared, after refunding my money. So, I'm not going to bother chasing down another missing item promised from service. I'm sure they're sick of dealing with me by now.

I did get my copy of Waiting for the Bus and it doesn't have any screamingly obvious flaws, so I'm going to assume it's good.

Again, of the 7 shirt.woot products I purchased this year (mostly AA or gifts for people who don't care what shirt they wear) - 3 of them had print quality/size issues and one took weeks of emails back and forth to even ship.

There is something wrong with this picture - and it has something to do with quality control on the line AND the new lack of follow through with customer service. I'm going to guess that the ramped up numbers on the line are overly straining the QC inspector and that the vortex of evil that runs the support email system is causing a lot of it.

But there is still a problem. I hope it gets fixed.

batiste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages batiste

I'M SO HAPPY I'M NOT ALONE.

So mine isn't necessarily a design error as much as it's... I guess a QC thing? And also a customer service complaint because I emailed them and /never/ got a response. I ordered these July 4, 2012.

So the orders in question:
http://i.imgur.com/cRuWxDx.png

Size tags:
http://i.imgur.com/Tuo2UGm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CSluoLb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IaBK8AT.jpg

Huh, that first one looks a little different! Let's see here...

http://i.imgur.com/zZJ66b1.jpg

That's not... right...

http://i.imgur.com/JBJHbqt.jpg

(I tried to put her on the floor but she jumped right back up. :|)

At any rate, it was pretty interesting to put on that smaller shirt and be unable to take it off. I mean, I don't know if the size tags are different and they're all women's mediums, or maybe they sent me two men's mediums and one women's medium--which would be a good thing! But they never did respond to me when I was like 'halp dis shrit no fit.'

Needless to say, woot shirts are very cute, but I'm reluctant to order again.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Randoms will include misprints. Always have.

Batiste--it looks like you have one AA and 2 Anvil.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

thumperchick

batiste wrote:Size issues

(ETA italicized changes to reflect updated/corrected info from Narfcake)
You have 2 differently sized shirts.

1) American Apparel Women's Medium(s)
2) Anvil Women's Medium

It's comparing the women's cut AA to the Anvil women's cut.

Woot switched to Anvil blanks about 16 months ago. You can spot them by the tags (and feel and fit) - but the tags have a blue circle with a "!" in them. Light blue for women's sizes, dark blue for men's. If you order a shirt now, it will most likely be Anvil. If the specs say manufactured in Honduras/Nicaragua - it's Anvil. If they say Made in the USA, it's AA. Hope that helped. The forums have some threads that break down the new fit. There's also a new sizing chart on every shirt sale page.

thumperchick

Mavyn wrote:Randoms will include misprints. Always have.

Though woot has always been good about replacing misprints. Ordering a random design here has never meant ordering a terribly printed shirt.

Narfcake

thumperchick wrote:... You have 3 differently sized shirts. ....

Actually, just two - Lucky at Last and Makin' Bread are both on Anvil WM, and Super Effective is on an AA WM.

Given the time frame (last year), my gut feeling is that they were the right sizes as ordered, as cranberry was among the last colors to transition. I still could be wrong, though - the discussion threads of that time may shine some light as to what was still printed on AA.

thumperchick wrote:... Ordering a random design here has never meant ordering a terribly printed shirt.

That is correct.