scatterling

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scatterling

This shirt tells the world: I want to fit in with the awesome science crowd but I really don't have a clue.

breadoverbliss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages breadoverbliss
lola4028 wrote:Well... with a B.A. in biology, I couldn't resist this shirt.

Chemistry rocks!!!

Isn't bio a science? Maybe the shirt designer has artistic papers, too! Come on, woot. I knew something didn't look right on this shirt last night.

felipito09

quality posts: 1 Private Messages felipito09
minuteric3 wrote:Plus, Plato thought of aether as the fifth element, and the shirt has 5 elements on it, so it works out for everyone!

Well the aether was also believed to have to have been the medium filling space and permeating bodies as well as the reason for the transmisssion of eletric and magnetic forces.

Additionally it was said to have contradictory properties such as being permeable to material objectcs while at the same time infinitely rigid in order to support light properly.

A.A. Michelson and E.W. Morley tried to detect the motion of the Earth through the aether using an apparatus in 1887. Einstein did experiments trying to detect the aether and nearly injured himself by pushing the apparatus beyond its limits around 1895.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

richieu11 wrote:hey, I want to buy this shirt for my brother who is a molecular biologist plotting to destroy the evils of the world and protect all from peril, but he lives in cali and I live in chicago. Is there anyway to get woot to send this shirt directly to him instead of me?

Yes. When ordering, just change the Ship To address to your brothers. Just remember to change it back before your next order unless you want everything to go to him. (Yep, I did that.)

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

AubriGryphon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AubriGryphon

"I helium science"? O_o

ClaudiaM

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ClaudiaM
richieu11 wrote:hey, I want to buy this shirt for my brother who is a molecular biologist plotting to destroy the evils of the world and protect all from peril, but he lives in cali and I live in chicago. Is there anyway to get woot to send this shirt directly to him instead of me?

Sure. On the order confirmation page before you hit the final button, in the billing and shipping info box, there's a link to change any of that info. Just add the new shipping address there.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

Ether actually does exist, only it does not interact with anything and is completely undetectable.

colegrove713

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colegrove713
cedaroo wrote:E for electron or perhaps entropy (a major element in my life) would also have worked for me.

I think I only make comments when they relate to my degree (Chemistry)...oh well. Entropy is NOT symbolized by an E...it is an S. Therefore subbing an E for Entropy would be WORSE than the disproven Aether.

With the other commenter that said why does it say Science when it is a ref to Chemistry...I agree.

For these two reasons...and the color...I can't buy it. Say what you will about Aether, but the fact that the other elements are legit destroys your argument. Make more of the letters something other than the element. S = Entropy, and then E could be an electron or ambiguous Energy or something else.

awalthall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awalthall

Argh, pseudoscience sneaking in with actual science, which is the most dangerous kind of pseudoscience.

Would have loved to buy the shirt if not for that pesky aether.

richieu11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages richieu11
ThunderThighs wrote:Yes. When ordering, just change the Ship To address to your brothers. Just remember to change it back before your next order unless you want everything to go to him. (Yep, I did that.)

Thanks!

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

Hmph I want one but I may have been spending too much money on shirts lately ... I can't even fit them in my drawer... birthday present to myself?

and the Aether was clever because it's known as the fifth element under the classical elements from Aristotle.

But I would have been a fan of the old "e-"

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

mjseik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjseik
rayray8822 wrote:That heart symbol reminds me of the guys in "Weird Science" wearing bras on their heads.

A normal He illustration just doesn't look this suggestive. I can't see anything but boobies and stuff when I look at it. And now, neither can anyone else. Muahaha!

sanpres09

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sanpres09

I don't understand why it doesn't just say "Chemistry" instead of "Science". You can spell
"chemistry" with elements on the periodic table perfectly. I would buy it in an instant if this was changed.

cedaroo

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cedaroo
walmark wrote:What I don't get is how can you spell "Love" with (He)lium?

In a very high pitched voice? ;)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Lightndattic wrote:According to Dr Jones, names beginning with J in Latin begin with an I. Spell it in Latin.

I think you mean Dr. Iones.

lstaff

quality posts: 205 Private Messages lstaff

Nice design that the kiddies can wear!!!!!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

"Q-tips" aren't science? such an uninformed statement. Q-tips are often used in biological scientific experiments, soaking up, uh, 'fluids', removing wax from outer ear canals, removing fingernail coverings, etc. -oh, wait, that's mostly from cosmetologists. They are scientists, right?

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies

Why must all my favorite shirts be gray?? Especially those that make science-y jokes. I mean, I like gray and all, but really, its kind of boring...

See this Portal one and this Chemist one.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
cedaroo wrote:Howdy,

Is your concern that some Woot, NASA, McDonald Observatory, or Silicon Hills employee (perhaps from IBM, Intel, Dell, AMD, Microsoft, Samsung, Motorola, HP, Sun MicroSystems, 3M, Apple, etc etc etc - FAR too many to name) might shoot you for claiming that aether's an element?

Sheesh. ;)

Adios!

Edit: Whoops! Almost forgot to mention that Woot (an independent subsidiary of Amazon.com) is HQ'd near Dallas. Like I said. Far too many to list.

I see your point, but I think they are referencing all those lovely textbook fights you all have in Texas...

pg318

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pg318
lola4028 wrote:Well... with a B.A. in biology, I couldn't resist this shirt.

Chemistry rocks!!!

Geology rocks! Chemistry stinks!

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet
Lightndattic wrote:According to Dr Jones, names beginning with J in Latin begin with an I. Spell it in Latin.

I've tried that. It just doesn't quite work right. Transliterating or translating my name into Greek or Latin is a different kind of nerdy. I'd rather not mix my nerdy. Besides my second letter is "o" so putting "i" next to "o" looks like you're trying to spell "ion" or something Greek.

first2summit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages first2summit
walmark wrote:What I don't get is how can you spell "Love" with (He)lium?

It's been a while since I had chem but doesn't the helium atom have two electrons in the first ring so a second ring isn't necessary? Hydrogen has only one electron leaving an open spot to hook up with a oxygen (with another H atom) to make water. And that since both spots in the first ring is taken up is why He is inert?

If this is right, the diagram is wrong which kind of makes the t-shirt a little ironic?

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Yay! congrats Wirdou!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

You could always get this one from one of the OtherTee sites:

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

rockytrh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rockytrh
first2summit wrote:It's been a while since I had chem but doesn't the helium atom have two electrons in the first ring so a second ring isn't necessary? Hydrogen has only one electron leaving an open spot to hook up with a oxygen (with another H atom) to make water. And that since both spots in the first ring is taken up is why He is inert?

If this is right, the diagram is wrong which kind of makes the t-shirt a little ironic?

It's been a while since I took Chem, but I believe the 2 electrons are in the first shell, which doesn't mean they have to take the same path.

luthan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luthan

i was watching a bunch of youtube clips of Neil DeGrasse Tyson today. then randomly remembered to check woot for today's shirt. this pops up. how can i not get it.

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus

Well, no. but 'Er' (erbium) could have been used.

Anorion wrote:E couldn't have been "electron"?

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus
j5 wrote:You could always get this one from one of the OtherTee sites:

"Other Tee Sites"? There's no such thing. Grownups just TELL you that to make you behave.

iwantamonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages iwantamonkey

(immediately pulls out his periodic table to write a clever message... but gets distracted by something shiny.)

...5 minutes later...

(spends several minutes giggling trying to come up with a phase using Polonium Radon.)

...5 minutes later...

(finally gives up and clicks "Post")

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Thank you all!:D:D I love Science and I wanted to make something funny, because sometimes Science seems to be too serious! So it was like....how Can I make an "I love Science" t-shirt with some mistakes in it (the aether element described after Aristotle, the "love" that looks like Helium but has two orbits)!

And, by the way, Woot, I often drink baking soda and vinegar in the mornings....so don't say that kind of things of that wonderful blend!

Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8
bluejester wrote:I'm not really a science buff, do you have anything design wise for a person who has a B.A. in English Lit. with a minor in Linguistics?

you mean the "would you care for fries with that?" shirt?

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

gelvenguiltyspark

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gelvenguiltyspark
wishlish wrote:The e-aether bit actually is holding me back from buying the shirt. Why couldn't you just use the mathematical constant e? I mean...math is science, right?

Actually Science is applied math >.>

capslock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capslock
j5 wrote:You could always get this one from one of the OtherTee sites:

If there's an "S" on the end of this and it's a woman's shirt I would Phosphorus myself laughing.

Re other posts... Spelling "love" with Helium I thought was very clever. It's not spelling love; it's spelling Heart!

first2summit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages first2summit
gelvenguiltyspark wrote:Actually Science is applied math >.>

Yes. As explained to me - Science or physics exists on its own. Math is how we understand and represent it.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

Congrats wirdou, nice work!

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
capslock wrote:If there's an "S" on the end of this and it's a woman's shirt I would Phosphorus myself laughing.

Re other posts... Spelling "love" with Helium I thought was very clever. It's not spelling love; it's spelling Heart!

That shirt has nothing to do with boobs....it's a reference to Sheldon's catch-phrase, 'bazinga' from The Big Bang Theory. In case you've never seen it, he and Leonard have a super-awesome shower curtain of the periodic table.

I like the 'equation' one done here much better, however (and own it.)

Totally agree w/ you on the helium/heart thing, though. Don't know if that was the artist's intent, but that's how I read it in my head.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

theholethatiswhole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theholethatiswhole
zvwang wrote:It's a bit off-putting that science is now defined by chemistry. This is definitely more of a "I love Chemistry" than a "I love Science shirt".

Oh yes, because only Chemists encounter the elements. I forgot our planet is composed of anti-matter. Seriously? Nearly everything "Science" can be described in terms of elements. That is, all things tangible (with some exclusions). I think it was a fine way to project a love of the all encompassing field of science. I am a seventeen year old creative writing major, and I still happily bought this t-shirt.

By the way, just because the existence of aether has been disproved, using it to explain the inconsistencies in quantum physics paired with relativity does plug some holes quite nicely.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
pg318 wrote:Geology rocks! Chemistry stinks!

I see what you did there!

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 54.441s
First Sucker: lete
Last Wooter to Woot:anathema2741
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago
Order Pace: 0m 24.009s
Woots Sold: 3968

First day sales - 3968

It's a Woot-Off!!

uberpest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uberpest

I ordered this on its debut day. I ordered a Women's XL as that's what's fit me in the past. Instead I got a shirt that was quite a bit larger. I thought this was just from a change in manufacturers, so Knowing the deal with the shirts here being short-lived and pretty much you can't get a replacement, I tried to shrink it a bit in the hopes that it'd fit better. I managed to get it down to 23" from armpit to armpit when laid flat, but that's still nowhere near the advertised 18.75" measurement for the women's shirt. It is, however, perfectly in line with the Men's XL. So, looks like someone grabbed from the wrong bin. I contacted CS for some assistance, but haven't heard back yet.