WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We've all got our go-to favorite foods that just make everything better. Mom's Chicken Soup, Grandma's Fried Chicken, or maybe your famous Top Ramen on a Hot Plate. This week, we want to see your ode to Comfort Food, the warm, the delicious, the calorie-laden stuff that just can't be outdone by any top-end chef or expensive cafe. Show us how you enjoy your favorite dishes, or more likely how a bunch of  cartoon rabbits and penguins enjoy carrots and fish.

No Star Wars.
No Mario.
No Doctor Who.
No text only designs.

Quality Posts

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Mmm, mac -n- cheese.

Not the blue box junk.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike
Mavyn wrote:Mmm, mac -n- cheese.

Not the blue box junk.

The Blue box might have been construed as a Doctor Who reference anyways.

They should have just gone with No Pop Culture and saved a few lines. I will say the site has been pretty heavy on it lately.

Yeah, so there's that...

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

You didn't ban cats with cheeseburgers?

May the universe have mercy on us all.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

I would have liked a ban on cats to go with the mario/star wars ban. I'm getting sick of cats

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

So much for my Star Wars/Mario/Dr. Who mashup idea...

orrantia49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orrantia49

No Cats. Cats suck. I will never buy a cat shirt.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

Hows this for a super duper rough draft... I know this is text only and that is why it is a rough draft.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Pretty much need a ban on about 1/2 of everything that has been in the top 9 in the past, uh I don't know, forever. I feel like this is the Dr. Who, Darth Vader, Mario, Link - iverse. Oh, and Cats plus food with faces. I guess what I'm saying is, yikes, we're getting a lot of the same stuff every week.

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb
ambergreen wrote:Pretty much need a ban on about 1/2 of everything that has been in the top 9 in the past, uh I don't know, forever. I feel like this is the Dr. Who, Darth Vader, Mario, Link - iverse. Oh, and Cats plus food with faces. I guess what I'm saying is, yikes, we're getting a lot of the same stuff every week.

I'm pretty sure food with faces is going to be this week's bread and butter.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Would Macro-roni and cheese work for a robot theme? Say, a big robot home from work, sitting on a couch with a pet (maybe a dog since there seems to be a cat backlash going on), and he's enjoying a big bowl of macro-roni and cheese? (We know because the box is visible.)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ladybugb wrote:I'm pretty sure food with faces is going to be this week's bread and butter.

If I see a face in my butter I know I should throw it out.

I'm just hanging out, really.

orrantia49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orrantia49
orrantia49 wrote:No Cats. Cats suck. I will never buy a cat shirt.

Maybe if it was cats wrapped in tortillas like a burrito or taco. That is comfort food. Damn cats!!!

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Well, this certainly could be a fun derby. Time to put on my thinking cap...and see what I can come up with! LOL.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
orrantia49 wrote:Maybe if it was cats wrapped in tortillas like a burrito or taco. That is comfort food. Damn cats!!!

Mmm, taco cat.

I'm just hanging out, really.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

Probably should have added no zombies to the list... have a feeling there will be several entires.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
bradalee wrote:I would have liked a ban on cats to go with the mario/star wars ban. I'm getting sick of cats

heheh yea definitely ... *laughs awkwardly and keeps drawing...*

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike

Staking my claim on this one, as I think Mac & Cheese is going to be fairly popular. Suggestions welcome.

Yeah, so there's that...

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

This is something I put together pretty quickly to look at colors, etc. When I think of comfort food, I think bbq or fried things, so this is a twist on that. It is rough, but I'd love to here any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin

This looks like it'll be right up Wences alley! I forsee a fog in his future.

P.S. Someone someone do ramen. I need a ramen shirt.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
ochopika wrote:heheh yea definitely ... *laughs awkwardly and keeps drawing...*

Don't worry, your adorable cats are in a class of their own. I loathe cats (I go through a box of tissues if I just see a cat) but I can't help but go "awww" when I see another cat design from you.

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin
rockymike wrote:Staking my claim on this one, as I think Mac & Cheese is going to be fairly popular. Suggestions welcome.

Cute idea! How about adding a Polaroid picture of the noodles too? Or would that be too much? Also, I think this would be more vibrant on a blue shirt.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

I love Trail Mix/Party Mix (making some right now, in fact).

I can't decide whether to go with Creme, Navy or Cranberry, tho.

Thoughts?

aerc712

lyonscc wrote:I love Trail Mix/Party Mix (making some right now, in fact).

Thoughts?

First off - hilarious! Love the idea. In regards to the shirt color, I think it looked best on cream.

jaaayzhu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaaayzhu

We would like two chicken pot piiiiiies!

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
ambergreen wrote:Pretty much need a ban on about 1/2 of everything that has been in the top 9 in the past, uh I don't know, forever. I feel like this is the Dr. Who, Darth Vader, Mario, Link - iverse. Oh, and Cats plus food with faces. I guess what I'm saying is, yikes, we're getting a lot of the same stuff every week.

Actually over the last 5 Derbies the top 9 have included:
Art 15
Cat 5
Buterfly 5
Star Wars 4
Kawaii 4
LotR 3
Tree 2
Robot 2
Mice 2
Who 2
Ship 2
Slogan 2
Mario 2
Shot Gun 1
Zombies 1
Penguin 1
Pinup 1
Shark 1
AnthroFood 1
Fairy Tale 1
Python 1
Dino 1
Bird 1
Ironman 1

So what we need to limit is either Artistic Prints, or complaints over the content of Derbies.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

aerc712 wrote:First off - hilarious! Love the idea. In regards to the shirt color, I think it looked best on cream.

Cream pops best, but cranberry has something about it...

Is that going to make it past the Rejectionator though? It's right on the line of what they've been bouncing.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

So other than Cajun's, what eats Turtles?

marchchcic7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marchchcic7

Thoughts?

Love this. Please no Cream. I vote for Cranberry or Navy, with Cranberry 1st. (those pesky word filters)

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
aerc712 wrote:First off - hilarious! Love the idea. In regards to the shirt color, I think it looked best on cream.

Seconded on both counts. Creme looks more parchment/olde timey.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

I like the blue the best, but maybe with a different print color. The blue on blue kinda washed it out. Definitely not a fan of cream since considering how pale I am, it just washes me out

aerc712

orabbit wrote:Seconded on both counts. Creme looks more parchment/olde timey.

Exactly! The color combinations had a great vintage/antique feel to 'em. For me, the graphic didn't seem to "pop" as much when on the other colors.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Here is the newer version of my Smokey's Medieval BBQ design. The colors are more muted, but its not quite there yet. Any suggestions?

lyonscc

KaylaJ wrote:I like the blue the best, but maybe with a different print color. The blue on blue kinda washed it out. Definitely not a fan of cream since considering how pale I am, it just washes me out

How about Brown?

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Thoughts?

While blue is my favorite color, I prefer the Cranberry

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

Old design sittin around which is one of my personal faves because I love cheese. What do you guys think?

marchchcic7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marchchcic7
lyonscc wrote:How about Brown?

Yes please!

lyonscc

Ok - so after reading the comments and getting some input from family & friends, I'm down to three choices.

Brown has the most positive feedback, and creme & cranberry are a tie, though historically creme sells poorly on Woot...

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
lyonscc wrote:How about Brown?

(thumbs up!)