+ Add a Comment

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

It's true what they say, you never forget your first Doctor.

I know we have a lot of Doctor Who fans around here (I mean, that "no Doctor Who" rule must be in the most recent Derby for a reason), so gather as ye may.

So who was your first Doctor? Which is your favorite? Where would you recommend a newbie start if they wanted to (asking for a friend on that one)?

Now, I'm a huge Doctor Who nut, I don't think that's any great secret. I started with Nine back in the day and was hooked instantly with this "new to me" series. I've been a fan ever since, enjoying each of the things a new regeneration has brought to the role.

My cat ("The Intern") came into the fold with Eleven, and as such enjoys the more "character driven" vs "scary monster" style stories. Perhaps I was a bad cat parent for letting her sit fascinated in front of the tv every once in a while, but such it is.

Lately, I've been exploring the older Doctors and have made it a goal to try and get through all the older episodes, too.

How about you?

Quality Posts

I'm just hanging out, really.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Never actually saw it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

inkycatz

dontwantaname wrote:Never actually saw it.

Ah perfect! Help dname find a good episode to start with! It's a fun show with lots of history!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
inkycatz wrote:Ah perfect! Help dname find a good episode to start with! It's a fun show with lots of history!

could she possibly appreciate the early doctors? That pompous guy(#3? or 4?) with Sarah Jane? or Doctor #2 with his recorder (Moe reincarnated as a Brit)?

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

Well, my English half suggests that you 'merkins should start with the American made movie.

If you were insisting I make a suggestion, maybe the 5 doctors would be a good place to start, just to learn a little of 5 of the personalities.

my personal introduction to the series came probably somewhere around pertwee/baker.

All I'd suggest is anyone can start watching anywhere, just enjoy it, and don't expect it to be more than mindless entertainment, it's not supposed to be taken so seriously.

(And you really should watch K9 and company, it's infinitely better)

inkycatz

dougall wrote:(And you really should watch K9 and company, it's infinitely better)

I haven't done that yet, I should!

inkycatz

Josephus wrote:could she possibly appreciate the early doctors? That pompous guy(#3? or 4?) with Sarah Jane? or Doctor #2 with his recorder (Moe reincarnated as a Brit)?

That brings up an interesting thought - are the earlier doctors "as accessible" to new viewers? (I mean on one hand, they must be, as the series has endured so long, but on the other hand, they're not as 'flashy' as the current series...)

J83pc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages J83pc

First Doctor: I started watching the new series, with Chris Eccleston, a couple years ago. Netflix wasn't very helpful with linking the Christmas specials in with the fifth and sixth series, however, and once Matt Smith came on, I was baffled as to where David had gone.

Favorite Doctor: My favorite Doctor is obviously Ten — clever, sweet, and gorgeous. He and Donna were fantastic together.

Favorite Writer: I do believe as far as guest, and future, writers go, Moffatt wrote it best — "Blink" and "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" are two of my all-time favorite stories.

You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
doctor.who

djbowman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djbowman

I also started with the latest reboot and really like it. I have tried to go back and see others but I just dont care for them as much. I like the flashier stuff

lonelypond

quality posts: 405 Private Messages lonelypond

I think I started with the Key To Time Tom Baker (Fourth Doctor)/first Ramona/K9 series. It was both a ranging story arc and six episodes with different moods and styles. My brother started my nieces and nephews with that as well. I think that's a nice mid point to the Dr. Who series, not as flashy as the modern, you don't need as much backstory and not as creaky as some of the earlier ones.

Baker turns out not to be my favorite Dr. but only because I really enjoyed Peter Davison's Fifth Doctor's interaction with Tegan. I think that was the start of where they've taken Doctor and companion relationships.

dougall

inkycatz wrote:That brings up an interesting thought - are the earlier doctors "as accessible" to new viewers? (I mean on one hand, they must be, as the series has endured so long, but on the other hand, they're not as 'flashy' as the current series...)

My 9yo kid started watching when he was maybe 6 or 7, I really can't remember, but 10th Dr anyways, watching shows weekly as they aired on BBC America.

well, he's simply moved on to the other doctors now, reading a few books, and just making season requests here and there (having all the episodes available to watch really helps..)

He didn't like Hartnell at first, (I guess the thought that TV could be black + white didn't appeal) but now seems to have no problem getting into any of the seasons at all.

dougall

As an English kid watching the older doctors, I always found the contrast between their role as the Doctor, and their other TV roles to be interesting.

for example.

inkycatz

WATCH ALONG ALERT

I'm thinking of watching City of Death, this weekend.

I'm copying the Wikipedia description because the article has spoilers.

City of Death is the second serial of the 17th season of the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. It was made by the BBC and first broadcast in four weekly parts between 29 September 1979 and 20 October 1979 on BBC1. It features the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) and Romana (Lalla Ward). Set mainly in Paris in 1979, the plot concerns a scheme by an alien, Scaroth, to steal the Mona Lisa to finance experiments in time travel in the hope of averting the accident that marooned him on Earth four hundred million years previously, which also began the existence of life on the planet as well.

Anyone care to (virtually) join me?

inkycatz

dougall wrote:As an English kid watching the older doctors, I always found the contrast between their role as the Doctor, and their other TV roles to be interesting.

for example.

Cue Matrix style, Neo "woah".

dougall

inkycatz wrote:Cue Matrix style, Neo "woah".

Cue this too..

inkycatz wrote:WATCH ALONG ALERT

I'm thinking of watching City of Death, this weekend.

Anyone care to (virtually) join me?

not this weekend, but another time if you could convince the missue.

inkycatz

dougall wrote:not this weekend, but another time if you could convince the missue.

I bet if I made the 'watch along' more book club style, such as "let's watch these episodes during July and then discuss" might work better for everyone. As long as the episodes are somewhere streamable and free, I imagine a lot of people can join in.

Anyone else have some thoughts? Treading into that trying new things territory.

dougall

I'm not sure of anywhere online to watch them for free to be honest.

maybe the BBC iPlayer has some, netflix, amazon VoD ?

inkycatz

dougall wrote:I'm not sure of anywhere online to watch them for free to be honest.

maybe the BBC iPlayer has some, netflix, amazon VoD ?

Yeah, probably have to aim for "common streaming services" :D

(I admit it's my fault for that flub, I don't have cable so I use all my streaming media as "tv".)

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Amazon has them for prime...not sure which ones, but many of the series, anyway.

And oh, ouch, twist my arm.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Mavyn wrote:Amazon has them for prime...not sure which ones, but many of the series, anyway.

And oh, ouch, twist my arm.

Amazon has most of the older doctors, but we have a subtitle issue, need to find subtitle files for them. Orc uses a couple ipad apps for subtitles, so I'll have to look.

My first doctor that I really followed was Doctor 9. It took me a couple seasons to get into Doctor 10. We did rent some Baker episodes from the library, but the disks were in such sad shape we gave up trying to watch them.

The Versions love Sarah Jane Chronicles.

I'm in for a Whovian Watching Club, as soon as I get back to where I have internet on a regular basis (so give me a week or two).

Beware the V'owls screech!

Ryfiel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ryfiel

You may want to make a new thread for the watch along stuff. I'm in for that though.

What other shirts are people talking about this week?

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I think everyone knows I'm traveling. Well this trip I packed all woot shirts. I've been rotating through my 8 favorite shirts, and for the most part I might get a smile or a smirk, but every single time I wear my Relative Dimensions Tardis Shirt I get comments! Lots of love out there for this shirt, I didn't bring my Outta Time, it's getting a bit worn. Orc got one comment for his Dr. Adorable shirt, but only after I got complimented on my Tardis first! (Oh and I was able to make a minifig at the LEGO store that looks almost exactly like Dr Horrible, that right there makes a pretty good trip!)

Beware the V'owls screech!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Never watched the show, however I was reading a lot of SF Fan magazines in the 70s so the first Doctor I was aware of was Tom Baker. Whenever I hear someone mention Dr. Who, the two images that pop into my head are Tom Baker with his muffler and a blinged up garbage can pointing a sparkler yelling EX-TERM-I-NATE.

inkycatz

RWoodward wrote:Never watched the show, however I was reading a lot of SF Fan magazines in the 70s so the first Doctor I was aware of was Tom Baker. Whenever I hear someone mention Dr. Who, the two images that pop into my head are Tom Baker with his muffler and a blinged up garbage can pointing a sparkler yelling EX-TERM-I-NATE.

After my weekend adventures I failed in my efforts to watch City of Death. You would have failed too, it was 80ish and lovely outside!

I did however, watch Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, which has one of my favorite exchanges between aliens ever.

Cyber Leader: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?
Dalek Sec: Four.
Cyber Leader: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?
Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You superior in only one respect.
Cyber Leader: What is that?
Dalek Sec: You are better at dying.

However, I've set a goal for myself to have it watched by August 1. If everyone else wants to watch by then too, we can discuss it then (spoilers and all).

(KT, Sarah Jane rocks!)

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster

Personally I have no problem with “timey-wimey” references. I’ve dropped it a time or three myself recently.

I met my first Doctor, Tom Baker, back in the early 80's when it was broadcast by the local PBS station around midnight Saturdays. I love the reboot and it provided me the opportunity to introduce the Doctor to my youngest son. He has ingested the series both past and present with religious fervor!

While you never forget your first Doctor I think I’m a 10th convert as Tennant had a touch of Baker’s madman style but with a darker core. And speaking of madmen – Matt Smith embraces the lunacy with glee!

I’m hard pressed to suggest an ideal “Meet the Doctor” episode, though “The Girl in the Fireplace” (Episode 4 of Series 2) might be high on the list.

Now – back to my son. His 20th birthday is coming up and he's (heavily) hinted he would like to receive a Dr. Who DVD. What season would you wooters suggest?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

Tom Baker and John Pertwee were my first doctors, though I don't remember which I saw 1st. (really Woot? I can't use the word f-i-r-s-t?)

When NHPTV used to run Doctor Who, the ending and starting credits were removed so that it ran like a movie rather than a series of episodes. I never allowed myself to have a favorite, since they're all supposed to be the same person, but they all added something new to the character.

Colin Baker turns a lot of people off, especially when he refused to do the transformation episode. But I grew to appreciate him more once I saw a documentary about his tenure as the Doctor. He chose his jacket, because it was the loudest, most obnoxious jacket in the wardrobe, and decided that it was better to be wearing it than chance being upstaged by it, should another character don the garment in one of his episodes. Each doctor could be an arse from time to time, and Colin Baker made the most of that attribute.

I do wish that Paul McMann (#8) was allowed more than just radio plays. Even if you didn't like the Fox movie, he certainly looked the part brilliantly.

My wife loves the new Doctor. My only problem with those episodes it that there's a little too much focus on the companions, Amy Pond in particular.

Signature censored by Woot

ciaralee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ciaralee
dougall wrote:I'm not sure of anywhere online to watch them for free to be honest.

BBC iPlayer doesn't work in the US but I've found the old episodes on DailyMotion.

dougall

ciaralee wrote:BBC iPlayer doesn't work in the US but I've found the old episodes on DailyMotion.

There are ways around that... but are all episodes there?

ciaralee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ciaralee
dougall wrote:There are ways around that... but are all episodes there?

It may well depend on which user you follow. This user has the old series uploaded. As for the new series, I buy those so I can't speak for their availability.

http://www.dailymotion.com/matrixarchive#videoId=xh3x82

inkycatz

This post is mostly a personal reminder of my August 1 deadline to watch City of Death. But everyone's welcome to chime in.

Suggestions for my next Who episode? I own all the current seasons so I'm leaning towards the classics, and can stream whatever's streamable. I'm up for suggestions.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
dougall wrote:There are ways around that... but are all episodes there?

It's my understanding that many of the early episodes were erased so the tape could be reused, and are not available anywhere.

inkycatz

RWoodward wrote:It's my understanding that many of the early episodes were erased so the tape could be reused, and are not available anywhere.

Yeah, that's a bit tragic. Nowdays of course that wouldn't happen (although let's be honest, some shows need to be lost to the ages) but I guess back then they had no idea that people would even be interested - or that the show would endure!

dougall

inkycatz wrote:
Suggestions for my next Who episode? I own all the current seasons so I'm leaning towards the classics, and can stream whatever's streamable. I'm up for suggestions.

Note sure if it's streamable, but I'll suggest the Pirate Planet Serial.

Partly for Douglas Adams writing, Partly in memory of Mary Tamm.

catherbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catherbert
inkycatz wrote:That brings up an interesting thought - are the earlier doctors "as accessible" to new viewers? (I mean on one hand, they must be, as the series has endured so long, but on the other hand, they're not as 'flashy' as the current series...)

Glad I'm not the only one to think he looks like Moe! LOL
But seriously, start with #2 since it's easier to follow than "the old man" back in the day of shaky b&w. Pertwee rocks and as for Tom Baker, well, 'nuff said! I love all of them for their own querks!

midnightuser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midnightuser

I'd have to say that David Tennant is my favorite Doctor. Matt Smith is growing on me. I think seeing all the old ones is a good goal. I would like to see the past years in my future.

midnightuser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midnightuser
J83pc wrote: Netflix wasn't very helpful with linking the Christmas specials in with the fifth and sixth series, however, and once Matt Smith came on, I was baffled as to where David had gone.

Same thing happened to me. I was devastated. Mentioned it to a fellow Whovian and she directed me to the movies. I was so grateful to have a chance to say goodbye to him.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster

There were a couple of Dr Who references during the Olympic opening ceremonies last night. I picked up on two...did anyone else, and if so how many?

One was during Rowan Atkinson's sketch and the other was during Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

In my house we were hoping David TENnant would light the flame, as in the 2006 "Fear Her" episode.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

I am an unashamed reboot fan. Came on board with Christopher Eccleston and even though I've quit watching on a few occasions, I always manage to get caught up with the episodes. The last two seasons I had set for DVR (Matt Smith) and remember rolling back episode after episode to try to clear the whodunit about the astronaut suit.

The reboot wasn't my first experience - my dad tried to expose me to it through general references, Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood) took part in an internet dramatization/radio play of one of the story arcs, and I actually borrowed the Videocassette of "The Caves of Andronzini" from the library - but it all kind of flew over my head at the time. It's not that I didn't want to like it, it just wasn't my generation at the time.

flargus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flargus

Got bored recently, decided to model a little something.

Still need to do bumpmapping and texturing, but I'm rather proud of it ^_^

ratmando

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratmando

[quote postid="5067387" user="inkycatz"]It's true what they say, you never forget your first Doctor.

I know we have a lot of Doctor Who fans around here (I mean, that "no Doctor Who" rule must be in the most recent Derby for a reason), so gather as ye may.

So who was your first Doctor? Tom Baker by a smidgen- his first ep was mine

Which is your favorite?
Love them all for different reasons. The last four, Peter Davison, and Tom Baker for sure.

Where would you recommend a newbie start if they wanted to (asking for a friend on that one)?
BBC.co.uk

Now, I'm a huge Doctor Who nut, I don't think that's any great secret.
WELL in 1981, I graduated high school early, and had in my yearbook that I was going to Marry Dr. Who and have a bunch of Wholettes.
Didn't happen, but happy with mr. right.