benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
bounty42 wrote:I don't know, it's Meta Meta, because it's referencing things Woot References, not Woot itself.

The question is... Is it referencing things that are ONLY referenced by woot (as in woot specific), or ALSO referenced by woot (as it woot generic)? Therein lies the difference, perhaps.

nikoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoby
Re: Pac-Snack

This is awesome! I would buy it

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Re: If Only

You could have at least removed the web address from the picture. Now people know where to find the original.

burnapaperzach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages burnapaperzach
Re: Dream Trip

O bother

kerouacsack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerouacsack

I really like this! Hopefully it wins one of the slots because I would totally buy it.

ninthWHEEL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninthWHEEL
Re: Ninja AtTACO!

Awesome!

kerouacsack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerouacsack

I really like this! Hopefully it wins one of the slots because I would totally buy it.

Oops. I'm referring to the don't go out to the lobby post.

VanWinkle1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VanWinkle1
Re: Delish!

What's a hungry robot to do? It's late. All the normal hangouts are closed. Wait! What's this? Why it's a can of Nuts'N Bolts! All fresh and tasty, packed in a wonderful oil. Mmmmm...just like you had when you were a wee bot. That should satisfy even the most vacant holding tank.

Hope you guys enjoy this silly android/robot. Hey, 'bots have to eat too!

Thanks for your feedback and votes!

pyromike25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pyromike25

Love It!

nikoby

Re: Thank Fast

Nice illustration, haha.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
tjschaeffer wrote:You could have at least removed the web address from the picture. Now people know where to find the original.

wow.
just.
wow.

Man, now I'm gonna have to RE-GRAB this one when it gets Rejectionated.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

benjaminleebates wrote:The question is... Is it referencing things that are ONLY referenced by woot (as in woot specific), or ALSO referenced by woot (as it woot generic)? Therein lies the difference, perhaps.

Typically Woot, the ! symbol, T-shirts, etc. get rejected. I think this is the first Turbunguin Portmanteu shirt I've seen, and as Bad as I've wanted to, I havent' seen an Anvil shirt yet.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Re: Creature Comfort

I hope this prints on a t-shirt... so that woot eventually reprint it on an apron! (Totally love it, Ocho, just awesome. And I'm serious about the apron!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
bounty42 wrote:wow.
just.
wow.

Man, now I'm gonna have to RE-GRAB this one when it gets Rejectionated.

I might have been mistaken. I doesn't look like the design was taken from another site. Customink.com givens the option to create your own design (hence...custom ink?). It has clip art that can be dropped in and colored automatically to create a design. So really this violates the no-clip art rule.

raccoonbacon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raccoonbacon
Re: I Can Haz?

This design is utterly fantastic! I rarely, "LOL" but I just did. Great idea and execution!

ibaitxo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibaitxo
Re: Delicious!

Delicious!

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor
Re: Cthulhu Ph'nomnomnom

Absolutely love this! It's ridiculous that it's not higher up in the ranks.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Grilled Cheese

Doesn't need the text!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Chopsticks!

I love this. Maybe on brown for soy sauce? I'd buy it either way.

neuropsychosocial

Re: Tastes Like Cute

If/when this shirt gets Rejectionator'd, can we run a kickstarter campaign to print this?

bounty42

Re: If Only

Generally, products created using images available on the site should not be resold commercially. In the event that you wish to resell such products, you agree to contact CustomInk.com and verify the legality of reselling such products prior to doing so. Designs created using the text tools and images available through the site are in no way the exclusive property of the customers who assemble such designs. CustomInk.com retains the right to display such designs or offer them (or variations of such designs) to other customers.

bounty42

neuropsychosocial wrote:If/when this shirt gets Rejectionator'd, can we run a kickstarter campaign to print this?

Yes. But they can't ship them for 90 days.

I know a printer.

bounty42

neuropsychosocial wrote:I hope this prints on a t-shirt... so that woot eventually reprint it on an apron! (Totally love it, Ocho, just awesome. And I'm serious about the apron!)

ooooh, apron. I would actually buy this on an apron.

nikoby

artulo wrote:I love this. Maybe on brown for soy sauce? I'd buy it either way.

Thanks Artulo, that is a good idea!

ackehr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ackehr

Looks awesome!

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Street Food

This is awesome.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

Thanks everyone!!

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Doesn't need the text!

I originally designed it without the text, but without it (and without the shirt title), it runs into trouble with the 3-second "get it" rule.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
Re: Smokey's Medieval BBQ

Who's up for sword skewers? Found it!

nikoby

My fiancé would absolutely love this. Cheers!

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301

I disagree. If "grilled cheese" were obvious from either of the two meanings, then maybe. Instead, it's the glue between the two.

Without that text, I'm pretty sure no one is going to get it. No one is going to look at that cheese taking a lie detector test and think "grilled cheese". And there's not a grilled cheese sandwich anywhere to lead you down that path. The cheese is getting "grilled", so the joke absolutely works, but that specific word is not a common enough association with a lie detector test for most people to make the jump.

In short, the text is needed, and the shirt is hilarious because of it.

neuropsychosocial

As a member of the "Prefer people don't need to stare at my chest to deduce the pun" club, I respectfully disagree. Does it need the text? Absolutely not - and I think that's a strength of any design. However, in this case, it makes the pun quite a bit easier to "read" and I appreciate that in this design. Otherwise, I think the average person glancing at my chest wouldn't "get" it that fast, and for a wordplay pun like this, I prefer that other people "get it." Share the joy, you know?

(Side story: I deliberately wore "What's black and white and red all over?" to visit my most punny friend. She didn't realize there would be a pun involved in a shirt that reads as cute if you're not looking for the pun. As soon as I pointed out that it was a pun and I'd wore it because I thought she'd like it, she looked and laughed hard, but in general, that experience reinforced for me that wordplay-pun-shirts can benefit from a visual cue to onlookers to look for the pun.)

Oh, and: Kevin! Very clever pun, well-executed with a great balance between detail that adds to the art and an overall visual that doesn't require an appreciation of the details to "get" the pun/laugh. I think that balance, if my explanation made any sense, helps a shirt appeal both to the wearer (sufficiently complex to keep interest once you know the pun) and to the wearer's audience (really only looking at the broad picture). I think that balance is part of what makes a shirt interesting to the shirt.woot aficionados as well as the causal buyer, so I hope my theory works for Grilled Cheese!

ETA: whoops, started typing before Kevlar's response and other comments, didn't see them before I posted. Sorry to be repetitive, y'all!

w1111ams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w1111ams
Re: Ramen Collective Unite!

JOIN NOW and LIVE!!

bounty42

Re: Ramen Collective Unite!

And we have our 70th Submission to this Derby at 3h10m

meedox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meedox
Re: Mac Loves Cheese

It's comfort food that comforts itself! And soon your stomach shall join their cheesy embrace.

plainyoghurt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plainyoghurt
Re: Chilled Humans

Is it intentional that it looks like Hunter S Thompson? I love it, I'm just curious.

Tolana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tolana
Re: Mac Loves Cheese

I ADORE this illustration!

beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984
Radscoolian wrote:This is awesome.

Genius

orabbit

quality posts: 30 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Chicken Soup

Deleted.

phylumsynthesis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phylumsynthesis

Ha! Yeah, if 20+ people want one, I'd be happy to do a run when it gets booted or inevitably fails to make it past the shirts that are in the fog now.

neuropsychosocial wrote:If/when this shirt gets Rejectionator'd, can we run a kickstarter campaign to print this?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Delicious!

Very cute and fun. Love it GMV