Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Let's say you're at the movies, or maybe in a park. You look over, and there's one of our shirts. And even better, it's a shirt you like. Would you walk up and say hello, or just nod quietly to yourself and ignore it?

And, as a side question, what about you designers? If you see your shirt in public, do you announce yourself or say thank you or something? Or do you just slink past quietly, knowing you'll never be recognized?

Quality Posts

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

lonelypond

quality posts: 434 Private Messages lonelypond
Slydon wrote:Let's say you're at the movies, or maybe in a park. You look over, and there's one of our shirts. And even better, it's a shirt you like. Would you walk up and say hello, or just nod quietly to yourself and ignore it?

And, as a side question, what about you designers? If you see your shirt in public, do you announce yourself or say thank you or something? Or do you just slink past quietly, knowing you'll never be recognized?

I probably would; have done it with (blasphemy to follow so read in a whisper) non woot shirts. I find it's the only antidote to the "why are you glancing at my chest for enough seconds to set off a warning" glare ; )

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

lonelypond wrote:I find it's the only antidote to the "why are you glancing at my chest for enough seconds to set off a warning" glare ; )

That happened to me on a subway train! I noticed the shirt and then noticed the girl half my age inside it, glaring at me. I had to go over and give my @woot email address to sort of redeem myself.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

lonelypond

quality posts: 434 Private Messages lonelypond
Slydon wrote:That happened to me on a subway train! I noticed the shirt and then noticed the girl half my age inside it, glaring at me. I had to go over and give my @woot email address to sort of redeem myself.

ha!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I haven't seen many woot shirts in the wild, but yes, I would talk to someone wearing one. I wouldn't chase them down or be obnoxious about it, but I'd comment.

I've had people ask me to open a hoodie so they could see the entire shirt, and had everyone in an EB outlet store come over to admire a design.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

granilithe

quality posts: 9 Private Messages granilithe
Slydon wrote:Let's say you're at the movies, or maybe in a park. You look over, and there's one of our shirts. And even better, it's a shirt you like. Would you walk up and say hello, or just nod quietly to yourself and ignore it?

I have in fact at the movies. Seen someone in line wearing a shirt that I also owned and made a comment about the awesomeness of woot shirts.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Have seen more than a few in the wild, but rarely comment or approach people unless it's a particularly good design, or a venue where I feel the compliment might be accepted + not awkward (ie, art events.)

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb

It's pretty rare to see other people in woot shirts around here, however, my husband gets stopped ALL.THE.TIME about his shirts. I think his "Spelling Bee Champian" shirt gets the most attention.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Would I talk to a stranger wearing a woot shirt? Well, I do it almost every time I see one! (Look at all my mini-stories in the woot shirt sightings thread.) It's just that they don't ever seem to want to talk to me! I smile and exclaim "hey, shirt.woot shirt, cool!" and pause encouragingly to give them an opportunity to chat/respond if they want. They just usually stare back blankly or mumble thanks or ignore me. I think I may give off weirdo vibes. Goldenthorn is a sad panda.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

I've never seen a wild woot shirt, besides ones I've given to friends of course.

I've thought about what I'd say if I saw one. I'm pretty sure this is what would happen:

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I've done it every time I found a woot shirt.
Made one guy take a picture with me. We were on vacation in the same hotel.

I wish I did it with the second guy. He had the jelly donut shirt with the dead donut being discovered by his donut friend.

We were in front of Dunkin Donuts!

He was arguing with someone, but I did say woot shirt and he said, yeah.

I tried the Boss shirt, boss. with the first guy. He didn't know the response.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
goldenthorn wrote:Would I talk to a stranger wearing a woot shirt? Well, I do it almost every time I see one! (Look at all my mini-stories in the woot shirt sightings thread.) It's just that they don't ever seem to want to talk to me! I smile and exclaim "hey, shirt.woot shirt, cool!" and pause encouragingly to give them an opportunity to chat/respond if they want. They just usually stare back blankly or mumble thanks or ignore me. I think I may give off weirdo vibes. Goldenthorn is a sad panda.

I'd totally stop and talk to you! But I can get really chatty at times! Then I'd all freak out on how much I LOVE shirt.woot! LOL

I saw the "He'll Probably Be OK" on someone at a yard sale (it was a community-wide one at a local flea market grounds). I actually said, "Ocean Mussel Goodness, that's a woot shirt!" He told me his brother bought it for him because he's a pretty fast runner. Pretty funny

bluejester

quality posts: 566 Private Messages bluejester
ochopika wrote:I've never seen a wild woot shirt, besides ones I've given to friends of course.

I've thought about what I'd say if I saw one. I'm pretty sure this is what would happen:

Haahahahha *AHEM* Must contain self. I think this is one of the funniest things I've seen.

As for the question; yeah, I've talked to a stranger about a woot shirt before. I think it was just about the only one that I really mentioned it to as well, and that mainly because it was my first and only time having seen "The Binge" in the wild. ( I keep expecting to see it on every street corner given it's sales.)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
dontwantaname wrote:
I wish I did it with the second guy. He had the jelly donut shirt with the dead donut being discovered by his donut friend.

I was wearing Donut Panic a few days ago and was with a friend who was also wearing a woot shirt. This lady stopped me and started raving about my shirt; totally ignored the other woot shirt. It was pretty funny.

I always say something if I see a woot shirt. Interestingly, many people seem confused when I mention woot, as if they're unaware that their shirt came from woot. FWIW, I get comments fairly often on my shirts, although rarely with a "woot" reference attached; people just like the shirts. Thanks, artists!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi

I did this past weekend when talking to someone about the one I was wearing (she almost bought it as well). I also had a discussion regarding inexpensive online t-shirt sites in general with another person.

Of course, I was at a Sci-fi/fantasy convention this past weekend, so it might not count.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

No.
That would involve leaving my mom's basement for too long.
People are scary.

move along

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake

The other day in Burbank when I could have ... no, but I did contemplate YELLING instead. I was in my car and he was wearing The Epic Begins while crossing the street.

And then sometimes, a one-line comment just leads to a better interaction. Like just saying "great shirt" with a laugh to someone in passing wearing Eat More Meat, while one was wearing ... Eat More Meat ... is much better than any attempt at a conversation, given the odds of two Wooters being in the same store, at the same time, wearing the same shirt design.

neuropsychosocial wrote:I was wearing Donut Panic a few days ago and was with a friend who was also wearing a woot shirt. This lady stopped me and started raving about my shirt; totally ignored the other woot shirt. It was pretty funny.

It's hard to top the food-related Woot shirts. Unless you add cats.

Disclaimer: Wearing a bacon cat today.

zaydabarros

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros

I would probably point at the person's chest and yell "woot shirt!" and run away.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
j5 wrote:No.
That would involve leaving my mom's basement for too long.
People are scary.

Leaves you a trail of well-spaced screaming monkeys and leakfrogs to lure you out....

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
slydon wrote:Let's say you're at the movies, or maybe in a park. You look over, and there's one of our shirts. And even better, it's a shirt you like. Would you walk up and say hello, or just nod quietly to yourself and ignore it?
and
Quality Posts (6:21 PM, 7/9/2012) ochopika makes us want to meet her

Well, of course! Duh. I either point or walk casually by and simply let out a slightly restrained "woot!" with a sly smile. Never fails to get a smile of recognition and a return "woot!" back. Doesn't happen all that often, and it's never gone beyond that, but if we were wearing really compatible (or the same) shirts, and the other person didn't look/act like Charles Manson or anything, I would not be opposed to having a beverage at a nearby gathering spot for such purposes.
Then again, I like to strike up conversations with interesting-looking peoples over the silliest of things anyway. *shrug* Life is more funner like that.

Speaking of which.....HELL YEAH!!!!...ochopika would probably be a hoot and a half to hang out with! :D

May the Crap be with you all!!!

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

The only conversation I've started from one was actually at a (birthday?) party, so it was a friend-of-a-friend. Most of my sightings have been either while I'm in the car and they're a pedestrian, or I'm frantically trying to get somewhere on time and really can't stop to chat. Or something.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
ReginaFilangee wrote:Leaves you a trail of well-spaced screaming monkeys and leakfrogs to lure you out....

The yellow orb!
It burns me so!

move along

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

ReginaFilangee wrote:Speaking of which.....HELL YEAH!!!!...ochopika would probably be a hoot and a half to hang out with! :D

Pffft... geez, guys. Y'all can come over and play Wii bowling with me and have some beers out on the tiny patio, that is if anyone's ever in Maine for some reason. I guess you'd want to try the lobster as well :P .

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

A couple weeks ago I was wearing my Procrastination shirt at the mall in a fit of shameless self-promotion during its final hours. A clerk called me out on wearing a recent woot shirt. I introduced myself as the artist, and as it turns out, he's one of my facebook fans. We both thought that was pretty cool

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
ochopika wrote:Pffft... geez, guys. Y'all can come over and play Wii bowling with me and have some beers out on the tiny patio, that is if anyone's ever in Maine for some reason. I guess you'd want to try the lobster as well :P .

Funny, Maine has been on my radar as a vacation destination for a while now. I must remember to wear an ochopika shirt every day while I'm there in the hopes of running into you, lol!

I would love to run into one of the designers of the crazy woot! shirts I love so much!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird

I was getting ice cream tonight at Broom's Bloom near Bel Air, MD, when I saw a guy wearing "You have to try this, guys". I was trying to catch up to him so I could comment on his shirt when I spotted a woman in line wearing... "You have to try this, guys". He spotted her too, said something, then moved on, then I caught up to her and mentioned that I also have that shirt. Too bad I wasn't wearing it today; that would have been a pretty spectacular happening.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

Our server at a local cafe had on the 3.14 PI.E shirt. I said "woot!" as he came to the table... it got awkward. Turns out, he got it as a gift and didn't know what shirt.woot was...
But yes, I'd say hi and/or shout "woot!" all over again.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
bluejester wrote:it was my first and only time having seen "The Binge" in the wild. ( I keep expecting to see it on every street corner given it's sales.)

I have a friend who has received that shirt from 3 different people, in the same year. That may be part of those sales figures. Also, my friend may or may not have a reputation for eating more than a dozen cookies in a sitting, without realizing it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just did today. My son and I (both wearing woot shirts) stopped and talked to a couple, both wearing Woot shirts.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

I see people wearing woot shirts all the time. I usually don't comment if I don't know the person since it happens so often. Maybe being on a college campus helps that? Other people occasionally comment on my shirts.