WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Behold, nobility of Shirt.Woot! The time is at hand! Raise your levies, unfurl your banners, and let us march onward to victory! Give us your proudest, noblest displays of family crests, house banners, and other heraldry you would use to represent yourself or your clan!

• No Mario.
  • No Monty Python
  • No Star Wars.
  • No Doctor Who.

Quality Posts

• (3:07 PM, 7/12/2012) bounty42 has some stats, yo.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

The list should also deny Harry Potter mashups.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
JadenKale wrote:The list should also deny Harry Potter mashups.

LOL my mind went exactly here. I think we will get a lot of Potter stuff. I dont particularly mind, but yeah, it's an easy go-to.

I'd love to participate...let's see if my leg/jobwork will allow me the strength/time. @_@

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt

I came here to say exactly the same thing.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Are we gonna see some crests of the turbunguin?

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

How many Game of Thrones designs are we going to see?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
tjschaeffer wrote:How many Game of Thrones designs are we going to see?

I am so happy it wasn't listed as a no. This could be EPIC.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
ChronoSquall14 wrote:I am so happy it wasn't listed as a no. This could be EPIC.

Gotta agree. Love me some Thrones!!!!

trulyepic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trulyepic
tjschaeffer wrote:How many Game of Thrones designs are we going to see?

Many

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

Thinking of an octopus "coat of arms". haha...8 arms on a coat.

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82

Can someone do a Breaking Bad crest in celebration of the new season starting Sunday night? Thanks

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

My first thought was actually a shield with an anvil and an exclaimation point. But the rule is no woot references.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Maximum Depth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Maximum Depth

"* No Monty Python"

Thank God! I hate Monty Python spam...oh crap I did it again.

Keep Durham Dangerous

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

::WARNING!!!::

Incoming Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and Legend of Zelda designs!

Nice gesture with the mario/who/star wars bans Woot but you really have to deny all pop culture, there are just too many of them.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

First thing I thought was Harry Potter but I instead will make the most epic thing none of you will ever think of. :D

I'm not telling you. ¬¬
It's a surprise.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
cwarfield82 wrote:Can someone do a Breaking Bad crest in celebration of the new season starting Sunday night? Thanks

You won't be disappointed... wink. wink

burnapaperzach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages burnapaperzach

I'll admit, game of thrones was the first thing to pop into my head

AlexIAm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm

Ugh... like everyone already said... please add GoT to that list... I love the show, but not enough to wear it on a tee.

>insert funny quote here<

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
bluetuba wrote:::WARNING!!!::

Incoming Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and Legend of Zelda designs!

Nice gesture with the mario/who/star wars bans Woot but you really have to deny all pop culture, there are just too many of them.

Thinking we'll see a crap ton of Zelda designs since Mario has been banned.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I have zero ideas outside of things anime related...and maybe ninja.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

In high school, for art I had to design a family shield. I wonder where I put that thing....hmmm, I could totally modify that to enter, but that would be boring!

generichuman2794

quality posts: 0 Private Messages generichuman2794

I had so much fun with the last derby. I hope I have time to come up with something worthwhile for this one.

bounty42

People are going to whine a lot about pop culture, but for this one at least I can't imagine a wide appeal on the topic that didn't hit pop culture.

Or we're going to get people going WAY off topic using only a shield or some such as part of a bigger design.

I also think this is going to be the first time in over a year where over 25% of the shirts are pop culture.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
bounty42 wrote:People are going to whine a lot about pop culture, but for this one at least I can't imagine a wide appeal on the topic that didn't hit pop culture.

Or we're going to get people going WAY off topic using only a shield or some such as part of a bigger design.

I also think this is going to be the first time in over a year where over 25% of the shirts are pop culture.

I fear that you could be correct.

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
omarfeliciano wrote:You won't be disappointed... wink. wink

Yesssss. Total bonus if it's your entry! :D

ChronoSquall14

AlexIAm wrote:Ugh... like everyone already said... please add GoT to that list... I love the show, but not enough to wear it on a tee.

I'm just curious, but you "love" the show, but not enough to wear it on a tee? That's just confusing to me.

I haven't seen a GoT shirt I like enough to buy just yet, but this derby may prove the one to get me over. To be honest, I haven't enjoyed many of the shirt designs of late, as the ones I support make the fog but not the sale or just never gain any traction to begin with. This is a derby that excites me, and I hope a Thrones shirt here or there is part of it.

Just not ALL of it. And I'm sure you won't see a stack of nine Thrones shirts in the fog.

bounty42

benjaminleebates wrote:I fear that you could be correct.

You know what I fear? Kawaii Eye!

We've got 4 Pop Cultures in the top 10 this week:
Monty Python Rabbit
PacMan
Legend of Zelda
Mayor Hamburger

We have 5 Kawaii Eyes. And watch, two of the Kawaii Eyes will win, while at best 1 Pop will.

bounty42

ChronoSquall14 wrote:I'm just curious, but you "love" the show, but not enough to wear it on a tee? That's just confusing to me.

I haven't seen a GoT shirt I like enough to buy just yet, but this derby may prove the one to get me over. To be honest, I haven't enjoyed many of the shirt designs of late, as the ones I support make the fog but not the sale or just never gain any traction to begin with. This is a derby that excites me, and I hope a Thrones shirt here or there is part of it.

Just not ALL of it. And I'm sure you won't see a stack of nine Thrones shirts in the fog.

I doubt we see 3 GoT fogged on the close. Because while it's obvious, it's going to be really hard to create a non-copyright interesting design around it.

I'm working very hard on not screaming about the Rejectionator right now, because I know I'm going to have so much to say about him Tomorrow.

My running tally: Least pop culture we've seen in a while last derby

259: Comfort Food
- Top 10 - 4 Pop, 4 Kawaii, 1 Turbunguin, 0 Artistic
- Top 25 - 5 Pop*, 10 Kawaii, 1 Turbunguin, 0 Artistic
* 6 if you count Cthulhu as pop
- Total Pop: 10 in 164

258: Beauty Within
- Top 3 - 2 Artistic, 1 Cat
- Top 10 - 1 Pop, 2 Kawaii, 1 Robot, 1 Zombie, 5 Artistic
- Top 25 - 4 Pop[2 Mario], 3 Kawaii, 1 Bacon, 1 Robot, 1 Zombie, 11 Artistic
- Total Pop: 13 in 118 [2 Mario, 5 Who ]

257: On the Beach
- Top 3 - 2 Pop[SW], 1 Kawaii
- Top 10 - 4 Pop[3 SW], 1 Kawaii, 1 Turbunguin, 3 Artistic
- Top 25 - 11 Pop[6 SW, 2 Mario]*, 1 Kawaii, 2 Turbunguin, 1 Bacon, 1 Robot, 7 Artistic
* 12 if you count Cthulhu as pop
- Total Pop: 29 in 131 [10 SW, 4 Mario, 1 TMNT]

256: Lost in a Good Book
- Top 3 - 1 Artistic, 1 Cat
- Top 10 - 3 Artistic, 2 Cats, 2 Pop[1 Mario]
- Top 25 - 7 Artistic, 2 Cats, 1 Turbunguin, 1 Kawaii, 7 Pop[2 Mario]*
* 8 if you count Cthulhu as pop
Total Pop: 15 in 88 (11 are LITERARY pop culture)

255: Double Take Derby 17
- Top 3 - 1 Pop, 2 Cats
- Top 10 - 3 Pop[1 SW], 2 Artistic, 2 Cats
- Top 25 - 7 Pop[2 Sw], 5 Artistic, 2 Kawaii, 5 Cats, 1 Turbunguin
Total Pop: 8 in 126

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

We aren't huge fans of drawing pop culture related designs, in fact, we like to avoid them.

But this week, Noxy gets to indulge her pony-loving-fandom! poniesponiesponiesponies.

ETA - sketchy sketch is sketchy. We're going for the season 1, elements of harmony things. Colorful, pretty, lala.

Also, for all the non-pony lovers out there, we're working up an idea for something a little more sci-fi/urban fantasy based as well.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
bounty42 wrote:People are going to whine a lot about pop culture, but for this one at least I can't imagine a wide appeal on the topic that didn't hit pop culture.

I can think of all kinds of cool ideas you could work a heraldry into or design a crest to represent. All manners of fantasy, sci fi, historical topics.

I want to see dragons and ancient castles and lions and griffons and vikings and daemon armies and samurai clans and knights and necromancers and alien cultures and transgalactic cyborg empires.

If people would just be creative a little instead of just going with the first pop culture riff that can think of this derby would be alot more intersting and unpredictable.

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb

I think it's a little unfair to make the assumption that use of pop culture automatically makes the entry uninspired/less creative/spawn of the devil. Let's face it - pop culture is pop culture for a REASON - and walking the line of parody around here is not always the easiest thing ever.

ChronoSquall14

bluetuba wrote:I can think of all kinds of cool ideas you could work a heraldry into or design a crest to represent. All manners of fantasy, sci fi, historical topics.

I want to see dragons and ancient castles and lions and griffons and vikings and daemon armies and samurai clans and knights and necromancers and alien cultures and transgalactic cyborg empires.

If people would just be creative a little instead of just going with the first pop culture riff that can think of this derby would be alot more intersting and unpredictable.

I second this. I support Game of Thrones as a fun idea, but you could make some amazing art of your own without it.

I actually have a family crest, but as a guy, I wouldn't be caught dead - it's white, red, and pink, includes flowers, AND A UNICORN.

And it's REAL. It's hard to fathom, really.

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee

Oh I'm begging for somebody to please do Jerod the Goblin King!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Code of Arms did really well, and it's not pop culture. I think you can hit a demographic without automatically going to pop-culture. Granted, that's the easy way, but there are plenty of people that want to announce who they are to the world. This a great derby for doing just that. Find that thing that people relate to and want to share about themselves and I think you'll do well, regardless of pop-culture.

bounty42

First Draft, Anybody suggestions for shirt colors?

Yes I know it needs a lot of work still.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
bluetuba wrote:I can think of all kinds of cool ideas you could work a heraldry into or design a crest to represent. All manners of fantasy, sci fi, historical topics.

I agree. We designers have to design with the voters in mind though. The voters have spoken, if its artistic, it rarely wins. I've submitted alot of pure artistic in the 9 months I've been in the derby and only twice have I fogged and never won/placed. I've thrown out a pop ref or two but have tried to stay true to artistic style. I've printed one daily, and that was pop. Personally I would rather wear something truely unique and creative but it isn't a common site here. Sad, but true.

bounty42

cfdunbar wrote:I agree. We designers have to design with the voters in mind though. The voters have spoken, if its artistic, it rarely wins. I've submitted alot of pure artistic in the 9 months I've been in the derby and only twice have I fogged and never won/placed. I've thrown out a pop ref or two but have tried to stay true to artistic style. I've printed one daily, and that was pop. Personally I would rather wear something truely unique and creative but it isn't a common site here. Sad, but true.

9 months is a long time to go back. But in the last 8 closed derbies we've had 23 winners.
of those 7 were Artistic Designs, 6 were pop culture designs. Only 1 was a no pop derby, so you've really got an equal chance.

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle

Any chance of some feedback please folks? Im thinking maybe it needs some kind of backgroundy thing. Like sometimes people put crossed swords behind them, or feathers etc. But Im really not sure what would work behind this...

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
lilsquiggle wrote:

Any chance of some feedback please folks? Im thinking maybe it needs some kind of backgroundy thing. Like sometimes people put crossed swords behind them, or feathers etc. But Im really not sure what would work behind this...

I think you're probably treading a LOT of copyrighted water there.

VanWinkle1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VanWinkle1

I thought the same thing about the list. Hopefully, my schedule will allow me to participate in this one, sounds really cool.