thevikingartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist
nicebleed wrote:What u think?

I'd go for "felis domesticus" instead of cattus, apparently that isn't proper anymore but cattus just doesn't have the same ring to it in my opinion.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
noxandpy wrote:Asphalt or Navy?

I like the navy. It seems to pop more.

thevikingartist

Navy makes it pop more my vote is on that.

chaoswerecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaoswerecat
miguelsierra wrote:Quick sketch!! hope you like it!

*meow*

I like it

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

updated version.... an improvement or not?

The latin now reads:
"making potatoes relevant"

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Our second entry, so far, havent drawn in all the components for it yet, but yay Whedon!

andihansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andihansen

would love to see an American crest - a salute to the troops type thing or just something to signify our great country.

sweetaddietude

smatzke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke
andihansen wrote:would love to see an American crest - a salute to the troops type thing or just something to signify our great country.

I was thinking the same thing! It would be nice to see something like that.

nikoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoby

Hi guys, I worked on my crest last night, thoughts?

Any Arrested Development fans out there?

www.nikoby.com

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
nikoby wrote:

Hi guys, I worked on my crest last night, thoughts?

Any Arrested Development fans out there?

www.nikoby.com

Beautiful, but celebrity likenesses are not allowed. It will get rejected. Sorry!

orabbit

thevikingartist wrote:Navy makes it pop more my vote is on that.

This. Looks great!

nikoby

orabbit wrote:Beautiful, but celebrity likenesses are not allowed. It will get rejected. Sorry!

Yeah, I was afraid of that. *sigh*

orabbit

The Latin doesn't say what you think it does. It says "Carrying harmony away from the elements."

Maybe try "Proferens Concordiam Elementorum" which is more like "Brining Forth the Harmnoy of the Elements".

nikoby

orabbit wrote:Beautiful, but celebrity likenesses are not allowed. It will get rejected. Sorry!

How about this?

orabbit

orabbit wrote:The Latin doesn't say what you think it does. It says "Carrying harmony away from the elements."

Maybe try "Proferens Concordiam Elementorum" which is more like "Brining Forth the Harmony of the Elements".

Or closer to your original "Ferens Concordiam Ad Elementis".

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
nikoby wrote:How about this?

I love it, but I fear that you're going to be stealing the thunder away from my Arrested Development design that I hope to maybe finish working on before tonight.

Seriously, though. Really good. And I think it's better without the likeness.

noxandpy

orabbit wrote:Or closer to your original "Ferens Concordiam Ad Elementis".

Py here! Hubby has some rudimentary Latin, so we'd been wrestling with it and thought we ended up in a good place.

I think either form of elements is correct - but I can see the argument of ferens vs. proferens.

Ferens: bring, bear; tell speak of; consider; carry off, win, receive, produce; get;

Proferens: bring forward; advance; defer; discover; mention;

Ferens could be interpreted as bringing/taking away.

orabbit

noxandpy wrote:Py here! Hubby has some rudimentary Latin, so we'd been wrestling with it and thought we ended up in a good place.

I think either form of elements is correct - but I can see the argument of ferens vs. proferens.

Ferens: bring, bear; tell speak of; consider; carry off, win, receive, produce; get;

Proferens: bring forward; advance; defer; discover; mention;

Ferens could be interpreted as bringing/taking away.

The main problem was your endings. Concordia should be accusative singular and Elementum should be dative plural. Good Luck!

nikoby

tjschaeffer wrote:I love it, but I fear that you're going to be stealing the thunder away from my Arrested Development design that I hope to maybe finish working on before tonight.

Seriously, though. Really good. And I think it's better without the likeness.

Thanks! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

noxandpy

orabbit wrote:The main problem was your endings. Concordia should be accusative singular and Elementum should be dative plural. Good Luck!

Thanks! We really appreciate you pointing it out to us. We'll dig in a little deeper and get it worked out.

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
mightyrain wrote:

Maybe I'm alone here but I find the words a bit hard to read. I think it is because of the drastic change from light at the top/dark at the bottom. Other than that and the lightish purple (which you already plan on fixing) I think the design is pretty awesome!

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05

I'm flying my dork flag here: I actually am an amateur herald, so I'm looking forward to this.

Had I any talent for visual art I would make the Arms of the Red Shirt...or maybe something Firefly.

orabbit

noxandpy wrote:Thanks! We really appreciate you pointing it out to us. We'll dig in a little deeper and get it worked out.

No problem, although it's been 17 years since my last Latin class, so take my advice cum grano salis.

Ryokincaid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ryokincaid
dcroe05 wrote:I'm flying my dork flag here: I actually am an amateur herald, so I'm looking forward to this.

Had I any talent for visual art I would make the Arms of the Red Shirt...or maybe something Firefly.

Please...please make a browncoat proud and give me a reason to buy another shirt!

noxandpy

Ryokincaid wrote:Please...please make a browncoat proud and give me a reason to buy another shirt!

Its not firefly specific, but theres definately some browncoaty goodness in here :3

nikoledale91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoledale91

No Dr. Who, Rly? I think that when Woot bans things like that they loose money. The Dr. Who fan base is very loyal and willing to buy anything Dr. Who related..

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
nikoledale91 wrote:No Dr. Who, Rly? I think that when Woot bans things like that they loose money. The Dr. Who fan base is very loyal and willing to buy anything Dr. Who related..

But there are 4 doctor who designs currently for sale, and possibly a doctor who side sale or daily in the works. And Whovians are no more loyal or spendy than any other branch of geeky fandom, though they are occasionally better funded.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

thevikingartist

not sure if cranberry or slate is better.Leaning towards slate.

aneira

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aneira
mightyrain wrote:For some reason it reminds me of the game Candy Land

You took the words right outta me. :P

nightshade70

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nightshade70
nikoledale91 wrote:No Dr. Who, Rly? I think that when Woot bans things like that they loose money. The Dr. Who fan base is very loyal and willing to buy anything Dr. Who related..

Mostly yes. I will buy just about any Doctor Who shirt unless it's otherwise really horrible-a very rare occurrence, or if I'm completely out of money.

Damasta21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Damasta21

someone should make a shirt using a crest from one of the families in game of thrones

mubarama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mubarama

How about an opening Pokeball?

lilsquiggle wrote:

Any chance of some feedback please folks? Im thinking maybe it needs some kind of backgroundy thing. Like sometimes people put crossed swords behind them, or feathers etc. But Im really not sure what would work behind this...

mubarama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mubarama

What about Lord of the Rings. A Gollum crest would be awesome!

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

Why is there no Game of Thrones entry? Wouldn't that just scream for a few entries?

*edit*
Oh, looks like there was one as a mash-up with iron man.... still. Make more GoT! (Please, for I lack the talent.)

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
mubarama wrote:How about an opening Pokeball?

Having chatted with a couple of more experienced folks, kinda established this design is very unlikely to pass the rejection machine due to copyrights etc. Put simply, my drawings are far too close/similar in style to the originals. Too much risk of a law suit/suing/etc. Just not an option. But thanks for the suggestions, its an awesome one that I may bear in mind if I ever work out a better style for drawing pokemon that isnt so copyrightish ^_^

bounty42

thumperchick wrote:Why is there no Game of Thrones entry? Wouldn't that just scream for a few entries?

*edit*
Oh, looks like there was one as a mash-up with iron man.... still. Make more GoT! (Please, for I lack the talent.)

The problem is it's almost impossible to do that without violating the IP of Martin.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

tigerfox77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigerfox77

No Mario.
No Monty Python
No Star Wars.
No Doctor Who.

Keep adding to this list and we will have derbies full of cats.

As much as people complain about it..those shirts are the ones I'm most interested in buying. Along with GOT, Zelda, Serenity, etc.

Keep adding to the list and I'll find less shirts to buy...like the last derby in which none of the top 3 interested me at all.

Kudos to all you artists speaking your mind but this is a site that sells shirts first and foremost.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

HELP! I have two entries and they are literally splitting my votes in half. I need to remove one but FAQs doesn't tell me HOW to remove one.

bounty42

writermist wrote:HELP! I have two entries and they are literally splitting my votes in half. I need to remove one but FAQs doesn't tell me HOW to remove one.

no they aren't.

Votes are unlimited. That means people can vote for both, one, or neither, at their choice.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

Huzzah!

My first ever derby entry!