oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

So, being my first derby entry, and seeing how I am a photoshop blossom (especially as far a designing a shirt in color layers goes), any advice on future entries?

Re: Coat of Odds

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
lyonscc wrote:So - after some discussion w/ the family, I decided to clean this up a bit, make it smaller on the shirt, and remove the "busy-ness" of the mascots, etc.

I think it would be too small as a Pocket cover, but it's not as overwhelming this time around.

Whoops, sorry, I forgot to come back and look again until now. I agree that it would be too small as a pocket cover, and I'll be voting for both versions, I like them both, but I just don't wear graphics that big so I wouldn't buy it. I *would* buy it as a patch, and I would also buy it if it were on the back of a hoodie... holy jeebler, I would buy it in a second if it were on the back of a hoodie. I just had to get rid of one that I loved dearly that was falling to shreds that had a moose on the back. This would be a nice replacement. Anyway, I love both designs, just not something I personally would wear on the front of a t-shirt.

yellowflower

Re: Derby Doers

Make a roller derby one! That would be a great title for a roller derby crest.

yellowflower

Re: Gear-Y Potter

Just to clarify from that other comment: This is the one I would insta-buy on the back of a hoodie.

kingdomkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingdomkey
writermist wrote:Like I said... No good shirts -_-'

Please don't mistake my remark as disdain for the topic. I would LOVE some Disney themed shirts myself. (mostly because I find most official Disney shirts garish) This shirt is different from other shirts because they only reference pop culture. Your shirt is not a reference, it's a copy. You can't use Luke Skywalker on a shirt, but you can use a kid Luke because Lucas has never used or copyrighted kid Luke. References are protected under parody laws, but copies are not. In other words, you can draw a rabbit that looks like Oswald, but you cannot draw Oswald or his lucky ass will sue you.

Please submit more Disney shirts, but make sure its a parody, not a copy.

maheo13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maheo13
Re: Venkman Family Crest

This shirt rules! Can I buy one???

djpohly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djpohly
chabber44 wrote:I think the latin should be "Ego possum habere." Potest and Habet are third person singular, "he can", "he has". Possum is first person, "I can", and you usually use the infinitive, habere, to complete the sentence - "I am able to have", or "I can has" in lolspeak :p

You don't typically use ego in latin, since the verb already shows that it is first person, but not many people may know that.

As much as I love correctly conjugated Latin (and cringe at many of the other entries)... since when is "I can has" correctly conjugated English? The motto stands in my book.

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles
MadamAtom wrote:For Ramona.

lol thanks... Ramona Flowers all the way!

I didn't use the name. I didn't want to get rejected.

I think the cats name was giddy or Gideon. Can't remember. Love the comic!

mutantninja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mutantninja
Re: Tron's Legacy

End of line.

alexanderjd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexanderjd
Re: In Joss We Trust

Needs more Buffy.

Regardless, GMV and most certainly will buy if it prints. I don't care if I have to learn Tailoring and re-sew the damn anvil shirt myself.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Re: Back to The Family Crest v2

I had someone request that I re-submit with corrections... I can never ignore a positive comment like that!

And before I get told you can't have more than 6 colors that dark blue is half-toned from the royal blue.

wallertribe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wallertribe

This reminds me a bit of 80's surf/skate wear. I love it

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
ringworldwu wrote:I love the concept. Please fix the design and I'll vote for it!

I corrected and posted it here The new and improved

morningsong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morningsong

Perhaps, but the rabbit is a buck we had in our rabbitry, very famous around her, named Stinky Buck.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
mutantninja wrote:End of line.

Resub with the USER instead of FLYNN.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
kingdomkey wrote:Please don't mistake my remark as disdain for the topic. I would LOVE some Disney themed shirts myself. (mostly because I find most official Disney shirts garish) This shirt is different from other shirts because they only reference pop culture. Your shirt is not a reference, it's a copy. You can't use Luke Skywalker on a shirt, but you can use a kid Luke because Lucas has never used or copyrighted kid Luke. References are protected under parody laws, but copies are not. In other words, you can draw a rabbit that looks like Oswald, but you cannot draw Oswald or his lucky ass will sue you.

Please submit more Disney shirts, but make sure its a parody, not a copy.

Yes Sir C:

I'll do better next time.
*note to self... no outlines* -_-'
I was a bit brain dead with the whole crest idea. Hopefully the next topic doesn't leave me stump.

By the way... is there any way we users can make suggestions for Derbies?

pyromike25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pyromike25

Zelda Always Rocks! +1

mutantninja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mutantninja
bounty42 wrote:Resub with the USER instead of FLYNN.

That's what I was thinking of doing if I can get a free minute today. Thanks for the suggestion bounty! "Great minds.." right?

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
Re: Star Crest

I really really hope that both colors get in the top 3. I want to see if woot will print both.

orangemonkey5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orangemonkey5
Re: Long Live the King

I love love love this shirt. Who doesn't love dinosaurs and this is the first crest shirt I have liked. It's beautifully done and Long Live the King!

theotherdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theotherdude
Re: ...et Rollus Outicus

Had to log in just so I could upvote this one.

What is the "MUTO" up top?

turbinator42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages turbinator42
Re: In Joss We Trust

What, no Toy Story reference? :-)

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: Cat Crest

So awesome and cute!

Necrotech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Necrotech
aneira wrote:These are just the higher ranked ones at the moment but:

Long Live the King
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/64424/long-live-the-king

Star Crest
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/64451/star-crest

In Joss We Trust
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/64470/in-joss-we-trust

Royaly Sweet! (has a banner but it meshes better with the overall design)
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/64413/royaly-sweet

I mean maybe the banner can look like honey or something. (These are just opinions so feel free to ignore me :P)

Done, though I'm not sure how well I captured the honey, but thanks for the suggestions. :D

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Because We Can

Love this shirt, but the Latin is wonky. Quia (or Quod) Possumus is what you mean. This says Because We He Is Able. You don't need Nos for We. It's in the verb ending.

sarafleenor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarafleenor
Re: House of Coffee

This is my first submission, I'm really hoping I did this right!

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
morningsong wrote:Perhaps, but the rabbit is a buck we had in our rabbitry, very famous around her, named Stinky Buck.

Love it! The style is awesome.. I had a rabbit that lived for 13 years so I appreciate the personal story here. The only thing that feels a bit off are the words (font/placement). You may consider drawing your own letters in the future since the rest has such a free hand feel. Also the image is a bit large on the shirt. Really cool first entry!

morningsong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morningsong

Thank you for the advice. Appreciate all the help I can get.

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

I'll be honest, I didn't have the time or space(didn't want it to look cluttered), for everything I wanted to do on this shirt.
As for the buffy reference, I realise now it could have been stronger. I wanted to give it a much bigger prominence in the design than things on the shield itself. Shield stuff = little stuff, Giant goggles, Mal's pistol, and the Vamp-Stake, all big things! I should have included something else buffy-esque but I couldnt really think of a small item or something that would really represent the show, other than the wooden stake.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Holy Grill

love your style and colors
on this one!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Create

great design, and I like that its in a somewhat loose, sketchy style. gmv

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi
theotherdude wrote:Had to log in just so I could upvote this one.

What is the "MUTO" up top?

It's Latin for "to transform"

treehug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treehug
Re: Radishes, Carrots, and Friends

I'm not sure I like the banner and the shield being crooked, and I agree that's it's too big. Other than that, I love the style & I'm glad to see a garden related design.

Re: Faith, Hope, Love

bounty42

Toddho wrote:YEAH add In Joss We Trust to the shirt itself.

Good that he didn't, because using the proper name "Joss" would have been a violation of the rules, and got the shirt Rejected.

Rejectionator killed all the shirts with names this morning.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

benjaminleebates wrote:What is the current consensus about splitting votes.
Is it dangerous to have two shirts so similar? I have until 9 or so tonight to decide if I am going to leave them both or delete this one. The other is in the fog after all.

Vote-split, if there is such a thing, would only be from people who limit the number of shirts they vote for. Since you could conceivably vote for every shirt, there's nothing really to 'split'.

orabbit

rasabi wrote:It's Latin for "to transform"

It's actually Latin for "I transform". You want the imperative, which is "Muta!".

orabbit

bounty42 wrote:Vote-split, if there is such a thing, would only be from people who limit the number of shirts they vote for. Since you could conceivably vote for every shirt, there's nothing really to 'split'.

Yes, but if you offer two choices, some people will pick a but not b, and vice versa. If you only had one choice, all those hypothetical votes would go to one entry. I think it's always bad to leave two versions up past the 24 hr delete cut-off.

noog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noog
bounty42 wrote:Resub with the USER instead of FLYNN.

What a bummer. Good idea, though.

bounty42

mutantninja wrote:That's what I was thinking of doing if I can get a free minute today. Thanks for the suggestion bounty! "Great minds.." right?

Pretty much, my first thought was actually Program, as my buddy's default greating for everything is "Greetings Program" but that's not quite right. However, a RED version that says PROGRAM would be cool too.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
orabbit wrote:Or conversely, it's the essence of the idea without unecessary things to clutter it up. Did you get the joke? Would swords and more rupees make the joke funnier? Simple works.

ill agree that most of the time simple works for most things but then you have the side where it just looks unfinished and that's what this looks like