WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Art. It's given us a lot of great stuff. All kinds of art styles exist today, born of human creativity and expression. Then there's the Internet. It's also given us a lot of stuff, some of it absolutely horrible but we won't get into that. Never before has our species been so interconnected and informed. So this week, show us the best moments in Internet history using a historical art style. Maybe it's an Abstract AOL CD, maybe it's Cubist QWOP, or maybe it's just a Surrealist interpretation of what the hell those modem sounds were.

• Don't use copyrighted images, characters, or ideas. 
  • No text only designs.

​What?! Shirt.Woot is evolving!!! 
Changes are afoot in ye olde Derby. Stay tuned to see what happens next, and feel free to post your best guess!

Quality Posts

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Changes are afoot in ye olde Derby. Stay tuned to see what happens next, and feel free to post your best guess!

Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

Hmm....every shirt is in the fog so nobody can see the votes for any shirt?

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!

$1 million for first place. Everyone else who enters has their bank accounts drained to pay for it.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!

Maybe it'll be a talent-blind competition. I'm tired of my shirts not winning just because I draw like an 8 year old. How is that fair?

Really excited about this week's theme though!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

derby winners will be determined by a foot race between the artists in the fog at the end of the voting period

two derby winners/day (total of six) - regular three, mabe three editor's choice

editor's choice for a fourth derby print, or replacing #3

eight spot colours

locoskier78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages locoskier78

You are only allowed to vote after viewing every entry submitted thus far for a minimum of 5 seconds each.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

More than 24 hours between derby announcement, and submission time?

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

I always thought it would be neat to have 1st place print Friday, 2nd place Saturday, and 3rd + 4th print on Sunday in a head to head battle. The sales winner between 3 and 4 goes to reckoning the other goes to randoms. Open up for one more winner and a little extra competition at the end.

no1

first place aa, second anvil, third hanes

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

Entries will be affixed to horses, and those horses will race in an actual derby, determining the winner!

Or Woot will now print winning designs on derby hats?

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado
Second prize is a set of steak knives
Third prize is you're fired

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Every entry wins!

rmstorey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmstorey

What's with the "Don't use copyrighted images, characters, or ideas." rule? Isn't that a rule in every Derby?

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
rmstorey wrote:What's with the "Don't use copyrighted images, characters, or ideas." rule? Isn't that a rule in every Derby?

I took that as partly being a statement of "stay away from pop culture." Plus there's all of the logos and names that people might be tempted to use but woot can't print.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
rmstorey wrote:What's with the "Don't use copyrighted images, characters, or ideas." rule? Isn't that a rule in every Derby?

Usually a design can use a copyrighted character if there's a parody element involved too. Woot's saying that's against the rules for this derby.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Voting system is replaced by a complicated system of pulleys. Winnings are delivered by trebuchet. Later, everything is delivered by trebuchet.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I was so sure it was going to be Shirt Woot's 5th birthday I've been drawing something for the last two days. :p

Changes ahead... iiinteresting.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

I'm hoping it's some new shirt colors! Particularly eggplant/purple, or maybe a dark forest green. I'd also love the return of heather gray... miss that as a tee blank to design on!

Edit:

cherylfrancis wrote:More than 24 hours between derby announcement, and submission time?

Oooh and this would be great too. Though I feel like it's less likely to happen, unfortunately:/

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
cherylfrancis wrote:More than 24 hours between derby announcement, and submission time?

Seconded!
Or Friday theme announcement and Saturday submission... For people with jobs it's difficult to knock out a decent drawing on Thursday nights...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I think that means no pop culture.

edit: slow azz me.

move along

benjaminleebates

So back to the theme. How is this different from a meme derby, but using art movement styles? It seems like that is how it's going to turn out anyway...

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Spiritgreen wrote:I was so sure it was going to be Shirt Woot's 5th birthday I've been drawing something for the last two days. :p

Changes ahead... iiinteresting.

I have wondered the same thing.. where is the Number 5 derby? Maybe this mysterious derby change is related to shirt's recent birthday.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Changes that will not disappoint me:

-More than 24hrs between announcement and submission
-No thumbnail based voting
-All entries fogged

As for this week's derby...I got nothin' so far.

tjschaeffer

benjaminleebates wrote:So back to the theme. How is this different from a meme derby, but using art movement styles? It seems like that is how it's going to turn out anyway...

Over/under on the number of lolcat entries: 24

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

Yeah i reckon we'll see a lot of cats. I hope we see some more interesting original designs though.

I'm drawing blanks at the moment though

benjaminleebates

tjschaeffer wrote:Over/under on the number of lolcat entries: 24

low side...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

So, getting back to wild speculation;
Tgentry mentioned some time in the past that the derby results are as good as certified by COB Monday. This has helped production in getting ready for the Friday prints. I'm on the fence on whether they would make a change that would upset this condition, but I'm hopeful.

move along

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Don't use copyrighted images, characters, or ideas.

!!!Legal Rant!!!

Ideas can't be copyrighted. Ideas, and only certain types of ideas at that, can be patented.

Also all works of art (including every meme ever spawned on the net) is copyrighted under U.S. law. Copyright begins from date of creation of all works.

More accurately the ban should be on registered copyrighted and trademarked works.

!!!End Legal Rant!!!

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
Lagbert wrote:!!!Legal Rant!!!

Ideas can't be copyrighted. Ideas, and only certain types of ideas at that, can be patented.

Also all works of art (including every meme ever spawned on the net) is copyrighted under U.S. law. Copyright begins from date of creation of all works.

More accurately the ban should be on registered copyrighted and trademarked works.

!!!End Legal Rant!!!

I came here to say something along the same lines. You can't copyright an idea. If you could, I would have copyrighted the idea of copyrighting ideas a long time ago, and I'D BE RICH!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Regarding the copyright thing... pop culture is allowed. It's hard to do a derby about the Internet without it. I think what we're trying to get across there is, if we think it'll get us sued, we're rejecting it. Simple. So using copyrighted images, text, character names, etc... puts our lawyer hackles up and can get you rejected. I'm not sure about the idea bit there, as I agree, you can't copyright an idea. But you get the point.

greystone9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9

This is a difficult one, since even "All your base are belong to us" is copyrighted text from a copyrighted video game.

Interesting...

no1

tgentry wrote:Regarding the copyright thing... pop culture is allowed. It's hard to do a derby about the Internet without it. I think what we're trying to get across there is, if we think it'll get us sued, we're rejecting it. Simple. So using copyrighted images, text, character names, etc... puts our lawyer hackles up and can get you rejected. I'm not sure about the idea bit there, as I agree, you can't copyright an idea. But you get the point.

isn't this a standing rule for every derby? stating this rule specifically for this derby (when it usually goes without saying) sort of implies there's something different about it ... is there?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
rasabi wrote:Voting system is replaced by a complicated system of pulleys. Winnings are delivered by trebuchet. Later, everything is delivered by trebuchet.

Naah... woot wouldn't do that. They'd prolly do SmartTrebuchet- a series of trebuchets that occasionally have to cross state lines via petards.

Regarding the theme- since internet memes are not copyrighted (at least, most of them like monorail cat aren't), I predict a lot of those.

no1

Lagbert wrote:Also all works of art is copyrighted under U.S. law. Copyright begins from date of creation of all works.

this post seems to imply copyright lasts forever. i was under the impression it does not. however, everything created during the internet age is new enough that it should still be under copyright protection.

also, i have read that the u.s. follows the berne convention, which holds that works still enjoy copyright protection even if not registered (although copyright is easier to defend if it is registered), so the ban shouldn't be only on works with registered copyright.

tjschaeffer

no1 wrote:isn't this a standing rule for every derby? stating this rule specifically for this derby (when it usually goes without saying) sort of implies there's something different about it ... is there?

I think it discourages people from using things like logos (AOL, etc) or specific copyrighted names.

I imagine there will be a lot of entries referencing specific companies and websites, so they'd like to minimize the number of rejectionable entries.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
benjaminleebates wrote:Seconded!
Or Friday theme announcement and Saturday submission... For people with jobs it's difficult to knock out a decent drawing on Thursday nights...

Agreed! I like this idea much-ly.

How about blind? No names listed on entries or on comments? That could be interesting......

SkekTek

cfdunbar wrote:Agreed! I like this idea much-ly.

How about blind? No names listed on entries or on comments? That could be interesting......

That would unfortunately lead to much anonymous sniping as well as people who post designs that mimic popular/successful artists. I think, just like campaign finance reform, shining a light onto who's doing what discourages the roaches from running the show.

But I would be all for an Editor's Choice award every week, where they give it to the most meritorious design that didn't get printed (possibly to someone who hasn't gotten printed in a long while too). Dunno, but will be interesting to see what happens.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
locoskier78 wrote:You are only allowed to vote after viewing every entry submitted thus far for a minimum of 5 seconds each.

So people who get their design in first win, because I'll do 30 seconds to vote for 6 designs, but not 13.3 Minutes to vote for the AWESOME one that went up on Tuesday afternoon.

Makes less sense for people, like me, who check every 4-6 hours. I'd have to spend like 5 minutes viewing the first submission by the time voting closes.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

SkekTek