aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
tjschaeffer wrote:I think it discourages people from using things like logos (AOL, etc) or specific copyrighted names.

I imagine there will be a lot of entries referencing specific companies and websites, so they'd like to minimize the number of rejectionable entries.

I agree - it seems like woot is trying to remind people to be careful about what outside elements (characters, companies, slogans etc) are incorporated into their design this week. The past couple of weeks there seemed to be quite a few cases where entries were rejected because of elements that were a little too specific to trademark/copyright protected works.

As for the topic...I can't stop thinking about an Al Gore inventing the internet design, though that would be tough with not having likenesses or names.

Good luck artists!

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike
tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!

My guess is that you're doing away with Daily Entries and doing the top seven derby entries in a week.

I honestly never understood why it was done that way to begin with, as the top seven derby entries are usually better than anything the daily entries can put out 90% of the time.

EDIT: In regards to the theme:

Love the idea! I want badly to get an entry ready, but I'm going to a Dark Knight trilogy marathon tonight and doubt I'll be able to squeeze something together beforehand.

Yeah, so there's that...

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
tgentry wrote:Regarding the copyright thing... pop culture is allowed. It's hard to do a derby about the Internet without it. I think what we're trying to get across there is, if we think it'll get us sued, we're rejecting it. Simple. So using copyrighted images, text, character names, etc... puts our lawyer hackles up and can get you rejected. I'm not sure about the idea bit there, as I agree, you can't copyright an idea. But you get the point.

Thanks for clarification, Travis! I wasnt sure about the idea party either, as you can't lay claim to an idea as far as copyright/trademark goes. It's got to be birthed in some depicted way.

Hehe, birthed. That's kind of a gross word.

Can't wait to see what's next for the derbies ^^.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
rockymike wrote:My guess is that you're doing away with Daily Entries and doing the top seven derby entries in a week.

I seriously doubt that's the case. The dailies offer a much greater variety than derby shirts alone.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
rockymike wrote:My guess is that you're doing away with Daily Entries and doing the top seven derby entries in a week.

I honestly never understood why it was done that way to begin with, as the top seven derby entries are usually better than anything the daily entries can put out 90% of the time.

I think this would be a terrible idea. And the main reason is that

a)We've seen how badly some third place entries do in sales. Imagine how the 6th and 7th place entries will do. By the end of the week, I'm sure the woot audience will be tired of seeing shirts of the same theme.

b)We will, literally, and I mean absolutely no offense by this, be guaranteed to have prints by patrickspens, ramyb and walmazan every single week.

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

idea that popped into my brain:

Prehistoric Thinker

Super rough, but does it work?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Another idea...
Dailies, they should come from the previous week's derby, editors choice.
Perhaps the take could be lowered to $500 with profit sharing immediately.
Many other websites have dailies without any up front payout, just straight profit sharing $2 per shirt.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
cfdunbar wrote:How about blind? No names listed on entries or on comments? That could be interesting...

No names on comments is just asking for "Troll me with no accountability"

As for names on Designs, I think it helps more than it hurts, because no one is clicking on 40-50 designs to look at the tiny little name print to find and vote for 'their artist' they're going to his/her FB page, Twitter feed, Blog, Sigline, etc and following a link back the the vote page. Which they could do without the name on the design.

Full blind might work, but again, with 130 possible designs, being able to see the top 20 designs without having to wade through the 110 that aren't going anywhere is nice.

What I want to see is either:
1) Limited votes. Same issue implementing this as doing the 5 second rule - user tracking.
2) Down voting. This can get nasty, so it would need a limit, but I think a "Would not buy" button next to the "Would buy" button would really change the dynamic. Also, if you hide by default the negative scores there's less chaff to sort through.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

point 2 pointalist communications?

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
SkekTek wrote:That would unfortunately lead to much anonymous sniping as well as people who post designs that mimic popular/successful artists. I think, just like campaign finance reform, shining a light onto who's doing what discourages the roaches from running the show.

Good point. I guess I just tend to think the best of people in general and don't really consider the underhanded stunts and post sniping/flaming that some might pull.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
bounty42 wrote:So people who get their design in first win, because I'll do 30 seconds to vote for 6 designs, but not 13.3 Minutes to vote for the AWESOME one that went up on Tuesday afternoon.

Makes less sense for people, like me, who check every 4-6 hours. I'd have to spend like 5 minutes viewing the first submission by the time voting closes.

even if everyone who visits the derby on Tuesday-Thursday votes for that awesome design subbed on Tuesday, it can't win, because there's so much more viewing/voting traffic on Friday afternoon and night (and Saturday and Sunday, though not so much) that a design from Tuesday virtually cannot get enough votes to win.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjschaeffer wrote:I think this would be a terrible idea. And the main reason is that

a)We've seen how badly some third place entries do in sales. Imagine how the 6th and 7th place entries will do. By the end of the week, I'm sure the woot audience will be tired of seeing shirts of the same theme.

b)We will, literally, and I mean absolutely no offense by this, be guaranteed to have prints by patrickspens, ramyb and walmazan every single week.

I don't agree that this would be bad for business, because by doing nothing, you get the 7 most popular prints as voted by the target audience, anyway.

I absolutely hate the idea from the perspective that I don't trust "the mob" to pick out a design that I would like on any consistent basis.

I prefer at least some level of trusted curation in selecting what prints.

move along

j5

rasabi wrote:idea that popped into my brain:

Prehistoric Thinker

Super rough, but does it work?

Where's the Internet?

move along

bounty42

Josephus wrote:even if everyone who visits the derby on Tuesday-Thursday votes for that awesome design subbed on Tuesday, it can't win, because there's so much more viewing/voting traffic on Friday afternoon and night (and Saturday and Sunday, though not so much) that a design from Tuesday virtually cannot get enough votes to win.

I'm hoping Tjost's As You Wish Proves that it happens when the design is good. We'll see come Monday though eh?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Derby change:

Tuesday: Theme announced and submissions opened. [Purpose- by this time, the fog is pretty much set and people start tuning out unless they have a dog in the race. This allows artists time to design, perfect, and submit their ideas. It also gives Woot time to look over them, and reject designs that don't meet the theme or are unprintable BEFORE they get votes and/or fan momentum]

Friday: Close acceptance of entries and reveal all approved designs for the derby [Purpose: Every design gets the same amount of time for votes, and removes all instances of "design theft" where someone sees what's in the fog and makes a very similar design to submit].

Every other procedure remains in place (fog, hotness, prints, etc).

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
j5 wrote:Where's the Internet?

Have the dino playing some non-copyrighted variant of "asteroids"

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SkekTek wrote:Derby change:

Tuesday: Theme announced and submissions opened. [Purpose- by this time, the fog is pretty much set and people start tuning out unless they have a dog in the race. This allows artists time to design, perfect, and submit their ideas. It also gives Woot time to look over them, and reject designs that don't meet the theme or are unprintable BEFORE they get votes and/or fan momentum]

Friday: Close acceptance of entries and reveal all approved designs for the derby [Purpose: Every design gets the same amount of time for votes, and removes all instances of "design theft" where someone sees what's in the fog and makes a very similar design to submit].

uh, you just eliminated the weekend for designing, which is pretty much the only time i ever have time to drawer (not that i ever enter any moar ... hmm, mabe i should withdrawer my objection ...)

bounty42

SkekTek wrote:Have the dino playing some non-copyrighted variant of "asteroids"

It's a riff on a meme philosoraptor

j5

I think I proposed something similar to this when I first came on here and was roundly chastised for my naivete.

move along

j5

bounty42 wrote:It's a riff on a meme philosoraptor

Yeah, but last month is hardly "Internet history"

move along

dracokitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dracokitty

I think/hope the change would be No voting until Sunday or Monday.

cfdunbar

j5 wrote:Yeah, but last month is hardly "Internet history"

but would ANY meme be considered internet "history"?

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

And what's the historic art style?

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
cherylfrancis wrote:More than 24 hours between derby announcement, and submission time?

+1

jasonhartman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonhartman

Not sure if it still counts as "internet history", but philosoraptor has been around since 2008.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

This could work, but as no1 pointed out it eliminates the weekend for designing. So why not keep the standard Thursday noon announcement, open for submissions on Friday noon, but voting does not start until Monday at noon?

This would give all entries submitted up to that point even footing, although anyone who submits after noon on Monday would have a disadvantage. I don't think they could reduce the voting time below three days and still get reliable results, though.

cfdunbar

citizencoyote wrote:This could work, but as no1 pointed out it eliminates the weekend for designing. So why not keep the standard Thursday noon announcement, open for submissions on Friday noon, but voting does not start until Monday at noon?

This would give all entries submitted up to that point even footing, although anyone who submits after noon on Monday would have a disadvantage. I don't think they could reduce the voting time below three days and still get reliable results, though.

Now, that is a good idea. Work/family often keeps me from either entering or getting the best design I can put in by Friday noon. But a delay of votes would be awesome.

bounty42

Even if we take ARPANET of 4/69 as the birth of the internet, that's only 519 months. So If you take "Art History" to cover 4000 years, last month would be the equivalent of 8 years ago, and 2008 would be the Renissance (1620s).

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos

It would be nice to get more than 24hrs notice for derby topics.

kevlar51 wrote:$1 million for first place. Everyone else who enters has their bank accounts drained to pay for it.

I would enter with my empty bank account just for the tiniest chance that I would somehow win.

margiecakes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margiecakes

Change = ramyb gets printed every Friday, no voting needed, and then the top three derby winners get printed, too?

j5

cfdunbar wrote:but would ANY meme be considered internet "history"?

For this Derby? Every meme will be considered Internet history. I really doubt we will see teletype machines, phone coupled modems, or even B1FF.

move along

j5

bounty42 wrote:Even if we take ARPANET of 4/69 as the birth of the internet, that's only 519 months. So If you take "Art History" to cover 4000 years, last month would be the equivalent of 8 years ago, and 2008 would be the Renissance (1620s).

Then how about redefining it as things about the Internet that are not still enjoying common usage?

Truthfully? It doesn't matter anyway, as you well know. Anything vaguely tied to the theme, however tenuously, will be allowed.

move along

cfdunbar

j5 wrote:For this Derby? Every meme will be considered Internet history. I really doubt we will see teletype machines, phone coupled modems, or even B1FF.

Gah.... I really don't want to see a glut of LOL cats or Nyan Cats.

I don't want to, but I probably will.

yao42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yao42

how the heck do i vote in these things?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
bassanimation wrote:Hehe, birthed. That's kind of a gross word.

lol! That's not even the first time you've used that word on the forums for a similar purpose. I think you said it was gross then, too. :D

oubliette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oubliette
clarinerd wrote:I'm tired of my shirts not winning just because I draw like an 8 year old. How is that fair?

Very fair...

oubliette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oubliette

Uh, every moment that you've experienced becomes history as soon as it passes. Are you sure you know what history means?

I can't wait to see what you submit. Is there a possibility you could flub it so badly that you draw something from internet FUTURE?! And please god, also flub art history and use a FUTURE art style.

I beg you...

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

First, second, and fourth in the reckoning were daily designs. There are eight daily entries total in the top 20 right now...

SkekTek wrote:

Oh no! That's my idea for this week, don't make everyone else think of it!!

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

I'm thinking of developing something with Mondrian, though I'm not quite sure yet if it's possible

j5

oubliette wrote:Uh, every moment that you've experienced becomes history as soon as it passes. Are you sure you know what history means?

I can't wait to see what you submit. Is there a possibility you could flub it so badly that you draw something from internet FUTURE?! And please god, also flub art history and use a FUTURE art style.

I beg you...

I qualified my statement above, TYVM.

Also, I don't submit, so yes my entry WILL be future....or maybe even....alternate universe!!
wooOOOOooooOOOO

move along