oubliette


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oubliette
j5 wrote:I qualified my statement above, TYVM.

Also, I don't submit, so yes my entry WILL be future....or maybe even....alternate universe!!
wooOOOOooooOOOO



Awwwwww!
Adorable

nathanwpyle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

"Modern Addiction" - or other thoughts/titles welcome. Thanks, all!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
j5 wrote:I think I proposed something similar to this when I first came on here and was roundly chastised for my naivete.



I've been around since the single-digit derbies, so people can call me naive all they want. I'm an old derby codger, and when it comes to people crabbing to me, i just take out my hearin' aid. You had a good idea- I'm supporting it!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!



nude judging

or mabe just judging.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
citizencoyote wrote:This could work, but as no1 pointed out it eliminates the weekend for designing. So why not keep the standard Thursday noon announcement, open for submissions on Friday noon, but voting does not start until Monday at noon?

This would give all entries submitted up to that point even footing, although anyone who submits after noon on Monday would have a disadvantage. I don't think they could reduce the voting time below three days and still get reliable results, though.



That would work- I'm flexible on the implementation and the start date for votes/unveiling. More than any other tweak, we need to have a submission period that is "in the dark".

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
oubliette wrote:Awwwwww!
Adorable


You confound me.
~Hairy Maguire

move along

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
ochopika wrote:Oh no! That's my idea for this week, don't make everyone else think of it!!



It's mostly safe... I will say that I posted that because I also am working on a design of that nature.

bounty42


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
margiecakes wrote:Change = ramyb gets printed every Friday, no voting needed, and then the top three derby winners get printed, too?



That's a little unfair. As of Derby 251 ramyb was running about 21% in placing, but he'd submitted over 250 entries.

Compare to patrickspens who's running closer to 30% on 60% of that number.

I think the reason ramyb gets so much attention is because he posts 2 or 3 designs every week.



Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

rasabi


quality posts: 22 Private Messages rasabi

Asphalt or navy? I'm thinking navy... because boats.


lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
rasabi wrote:Asphalt or navy? I'm thinking navy... because boats.

THERE WAS A PIC HERE ONCE



Definitely navy in my opinion, although your navy looks kinda dark green on my screen... derp >.>

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

My Guess: Instead of voting, there will be pre-ordering. The shirt with the highest number of pre-orders wins for Friday, and all of the "voters" are already in for 1-3 shirts (1 shirt = 1 vote).

margiecakes


quality posts: 2 Private Messages margiecakes
bounty42 wrote:That's a little unfair. As of Derby 251 ramyb was running about 21% in placing, but he'd submitted over 250 entries.

Compare to patrickspens who's running closer to 30% on 60% of that number.

I think the reason ramyb gets so much attention is because he posts 2 or 3 designs every week.



I just like to give ramyb a hard time. Although, I will say that I own more P-Spens shirts than anyone else, and I think he has a great deal more range and creativity than weekly kwaiiturtbuncatguins.

margiecakes


quality posts: 2 Private Messages margiecakes

With my absolute absence of drawing ability, can I throw out crowning Internet moments I would smile to see immortalized by others?

Hamster dance
"I kiss you!" guy
Chain e-mails
Dial up/painfully slow page loads
Numa Numa boy
Hackers (the ridiculously bad but equally enjoyable movie)

I'm sure I will think of more.

bounty42


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
margiecakes wrote:I just like to give ramyb a hard time. Although, I will say that I own more P-Spens shirts than anyone else, and I think he has a great deal more range and creativity than weekly kwaiiturtbuncatguins.



Ramyb has range too, but it feels like he's going with quick, simple, kawaii designs rather than complex ones because a) That's what sells for him, and b) he can turn them out fast enough to get 2-3 in a single weekend.



Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

greystone9


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9
margiecakes wrote:With my absolute absence of drawing ability, can I throw out crowning Internet moments I would smile to see immortalized by others?

Hamster dance
"I kiss you!" guy
Chain e-mails
Dial up/painfully slow page loads
Numa Numa boy
Hackers (the ridiculously bad but equally enjoyable movie)

I'm sure I will think of more.



Hamsters are being colored as I speak. So, I hope it makes you smile.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!



cake decorating contests. cakes baked by pemberducky.

bounty42


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

They actually didn't have *ANY* plans for a change, but they knew they wanted to make one, so they said something here and we're doing the brainstorming for the meeting on Monday.



Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

trevorstearns


quality posts: 1 Private Messages trevorstearns

Perhaps the derby will be offset by one week, allowing voting to start only after all entries have been submitted, thus alleviating the early in /most votes advantage. It would also allow more time for less rushed entries. For myself, I haven't entered for some time due to my hourly work requirements conflicting with the first couple days of entry/voting. After that time it's a rare design that can actually make the run up the charts to get enough votes to print, so it's hard to garner the enthusiasm to put forth the level of effort necessary to create a design that I consider entering. Wouldn't it be amazing to see the level of quality in the designs if there was a full week available for each derby without a quick upload advantage?

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

I think mine this week will deal with all of the doomsday cults and predictions that have spread due to the internet, with the current one being 12-21-2012. I also enjoyed the Art Nouveau week, so I've used that particular style.



Note that it is 11:55 on 12/21

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bounty42 wrote:Ramyb...


Compose yourself, your fanboi is showing.

move along

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

Ooh...Ooh...How about you get votes for as many shirts as you've purchased. NO NO WAIT...if you click, "I'd Buy It" then, by God, you MUST buy it!

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

At this point, anyone still arguing about "the change" needs to shut up so I can look at entries.

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
wootvan wrote:Ooh...Ooh...How about you get votes for as many shirts as you've purchased. NO NO WAIT...if you click, "I'd Buy It" then, by God, you MUST buy it!



Ah, but it doesn't say "I'd Buy It." It says "I'd Want One."

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle

Was really struggling for ideas that I felt wouldn't get rejected. Sketched this one up, which I love, but I cant find a way to make it clearly Gir without it just being the exact same style which I assume means it would be rejected




So I sat down and had a further think and then doodled this little number



As yet Iv never managed to get further than digitising my linework, so I know I keep posting sketches in these derby threads and then never getting a tshirt up into the derby. Fact is Im too slow. I dont have the skill with the art programs yet and my tablet is old and jitters, making it nigh on impossible to get nice smooth lines XD Eventually Ill manage to get a tshirt into the derby. Never know, this week might be the time...

jfsiv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

I'm sorry if I sound rude or anything, but I think that they should do something about the submission like block of the artist name during the derby. So that other people can vote on the design and the artist.

Like I'm sorry but there have been times that my shirts get vary little vote and it look cool/good. Why others get a lot of vote and they don't really look that good or cool.

That is when I nodes the artist name and yes he has made some very good shirt's. I can admit that but the one he made now is not.

Dose anyone else see what I mean?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jfsiv wrote:I'm sorry if I sound rude or anything, but I think that they should do something about the submission like block of the artist name during the derby. So that other people can vote on the design and the artist.

Like I'm sorry but there have been times that my shirts get vary little vote and it look cool/good. Why others get a lot of vote and they don't really look that good or cool.

That is when I nodes the artist name and yes he has made some very good shirt's. I can admit that but the one he made now is not.

Dose anyone else see what I mean?



i think your argument would be much stronger if you did not include your own derby performance as an example. as it is, it makes it sound too much like sour grapes. instead, i suggest citing some other artist with similar lack of derby success.

regardless, blanking artist names is difficult to implement well. artists are still likely to publicise or tout their own entries, either in the forums or on other social media, and many artists' have recognizable styles, so complete anonymity for the more "famous" artists is highly unlikely.

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
no1 wrote:i think your argument would be much stronger if you did not include your own derby performance as an example. as it is, it makes it sound too much like sour grapes. instead, i suggest citing some other artist with similar lack of derby success.

regardless, blanking artist names is difficult to implement well. artists are still likely to publicise or tout their own entries, either in the forums or on other social media, and many artists' have recognizable styles, so complete anonymity for the more "famous" artists is highly unlikely.



Agreed, also, as has been stated by a couple of others, anonymous submissions makes others feel able to criticize/flame more safely. Not something I want to see happening.

In other news, think I might have completed the line work for my design. Now to get to grips with colouring stuff in on this stupid jittery tablet >.>



Thoughts/feedback?

EDIT: Derp. I've since changed the cheeseburgers mouth to a simple smile. Just forgot thats not on the one I uploaded ^_^

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
lilsquiggle wrote:Agreed, also, as has been stated by a couple of others, anonymous submissions makes others feel able to criticize/flame more safely. Not something I want to see happening.

In other news, think I might have completed the line work for my design. Now to get to grips with colouring stuff in on this stupid jittery tablet >.>



Thoughts/feedback?

EDIT: Derp. I've since changed the cheeseburgers mouth to a simple smile. Just forgot thats not on the one I uploaded ^_^



just out of curiousity, what is the art history style involved?

suggestion about colouring: if you're really having jitter problems with the tablet, and if you intend flat colours, perhaps try using a regular mouse to drive the paths tool (or whatever it's called, the one where you can place points to select an irregular polygon) and bucket fill the selection with your desired colour.

edit: assuming you're using a raster based editor like photoshop or gimp.

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

I have an idea for anyone who can imitate Lichtenstein. PM me if you want to discuss.

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
no1 wrote:just out of curiousity, what is the art history style involved?

suggestion about colouring: if you're really having jitter problems with the tablet, and if you intend flat colours, perhaps try using a regular mouse to drive the paths tool (or whatever it's called, the one where you can place points to select an irregular polygon) and bucket fill the selection with your desired colour.

edit: assuming you're using a raster based editor like photoshop or gimp.



Its a take on Michelangelo's - Creation of Adam

Yeah, I draw the linework in illustrator, but I colour in photoshop because I rarely join up my lines, so the live paint tool doesn't really work in illustrator. Plus I have no clue how to go about doing gradients of black and white to affect shades.

With a bit of patience and a few uses of ctrl+z I can get reasonably smooth lines with the tablet, and I do generally find it easier than the mouse. But thats possibly because Im generally quite a clumsy individual and my mouse control is kinda erratic >.>

jmgenens


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmgenens

I'm seeing The Creation of Adam in there ;) LOL.



no1 wrote:just out of curiousity, what is the art history style involved?

suggestion about colouring: if you're really having jitter problems with the tablet, and if you intend flat colours, perhaps try using a regular mouse to drive the paths tool (or whatever it's called, the one where you can place points to select an irregular polygon) and bucket fill the selection with your desired colour.

edit: assuming you're using a raster based editor like photoshop or gimp.



thesleepymonster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesleepymonster

I think it's about art styles, movements throughout art history(Renaissance, Impressionism, Fauvism, etc). Not actual "copies" of famous artwork. At least... I think that's what this weeks derby is about. Kinda confusing now that I'm looking through the comments.

aerc712


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
no1 wrote:i think your argument would be much stronger if you did not include your own derby performance as an example. as it is, it makes it sound too much like sour grapes. instead, i suggest citing some other artist with similar lack of derby success.

regardless, blanking artist names is difficult to implement well. artists are still likely to publicise or tout their own entries, either in the forums or on other social media, and many artists' have recognizable styles, so complete anonymity for the more "famous" artists is highly unlikely.



To build off of this response...I think it is also important to note that things are very subjective. What one person thinks is the best thing ever, another person might not like. It partly depends on the subject matter (ex. I'm not a Star Wars fan, I pretty much skip anything remotely related to Star Wars) but it is also dependent on style. There are some works that people might consider art, but when there's something abstract, I see little difference from what my niece can draw. It's tough to work hard on something and create something that you're proud of and then not get the recognition that you feel it deserves. With anything artistic there will always be a variety of opinions and reactions, and unfortunately not all will be positive. It all depends on someone's individual taste and interests. But, it's important to keep working. The more someone works on their craft, the better they get.

I do like the idea of blind votes. But the suggestions that I thought could really benefit everyone is if there is a greater amount of time for artists to design their entries OR a gap between when submissions start and when voting can begin (can submit at 12 Friday like usual, but voting can't start until Monday at 12). This would help correct the "weekend advantage."

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
thesleepymonster wrote:I think it's about art styles, movements throughout art history(Renaissance, Impressionism, Fauvism, etc). Not actual "copies" of famous artwork. At least... I think that's what this weeks derby is about. Kinda confusing now that I'm looking through the comments.



Re-reading the derby outline, you are quite possibly right. Ho hum. I probably wont finish my design anyway XD And if I do, and they don't like it because I've misunderstood, I guess it will just get rejectornated. I just sketch stuff up and do some work on it, partly to improve my drawing confidence, and partly to get quicker with the digital art programs. I need both skills for my degree, so its not wasted time.

smatzke


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke

Ummm....I am no artist, but I would love to see something Andy Warhol-ish or pointalism.

k. Thx. computer hugs and chocolate chip cookies for anyone who does my suggestion. ;)

4khaos


quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
lilsquiggle wrote:Its a take on Michelangelo's - Creation of Adam

Yeah, I draw the linework in illustrator, but I colour in photoshop because I rarely join up my lines, so the live paint tool doesn't really work in illustrator. Plus I have no clue how to go about doing gradients of black and white to affect shades.

With a bit of patience and a few uses of ctrl+z I can get reasonably smooth lines with the tablet, and I do generally find it easier than the mouse. But thats possibly because Im generally quite a clumsy individual and my mouse control is kinda erratic >.>


You could use halftones to create gradients, or just do regular shading by using a ligher/darker colour for highlights/shading.

thevikingartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist

I'm thinking cave painting.

loulousq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq
thevikingartist wrote:I'm thinking cave painting.



i thought of that too. talk about ancient history...but topic is all yours, bud

thevikingartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist
loulousq wrote:i thought of that too. talk about ancient history...but topic is all yours, bud



Oh, don't let me stop you, if you had a good idea go for it

loulousq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq
thevikingartist wrote:Oh, don't let me stop you, if you had a good idea go for it



thanks. but i'm working on something else atm ;) best of luck to you