oakenspirit


quality posts: 86 Private Messages oakenspirit

Here's what I got so far...

Gonna keep tweaking... Any advice would be adored...

William Gibson - Conceptual INVENTOR of the intertubes...

Impressionism - Changed world's view on art. Gave impression of reality colored with movement and emotion...

SMOOSHED TOGETHER

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

Here's what I've got. Thoughts?

oakenspirit


quality posts: 86 Private Messages oakenspirit
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I've got. Thoughts?



Very solid...

stigglesputz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stigglesputz
no1 wrote:i think your argument would be much stronger if you did not include your own derby performance as an example. as it is, it makes it sound too much like sour grapes. instead, i suggest citing some other artist with similar lack of derby success.



How about alexmdc. He's gotten dailies and several Double-Take Derbies and never won a single Derby. All of his entries are incredible and more on-topic than most of the winners. I'm sure there are others, but after seeing his lack of success I decided there was no point of even trying to compete.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
lilsquiggle wrote:Was really struggling for ideas that I felt wouldn't get rejected. Sketched this one up, which I love, but I cant find a way to make it clearly Gir without it just being the exact same style which I assume means it would be rejected




So I sat down and had a further think and then doodled this little number



As yet Iv never managed to get further than digitising my linework, so I know I keep posting sketches in these derby threads and then never getting a tshirt up into the derby. Fact is Im too slow. I dont have the skill with the art programs yet and my tablet is old and jitters, making it nigh on impossible to get nice smooth lines XD Eventually Ill manage to get a tshirt into the derby. Never know, this week might be the time...



Haaah I had the same idea! Poot! Very cute ^_^

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
tgentry wrote:Regarding the copyright thing... pop culture is allowed. It's hard to do a derby about the Internet without it. I think what we're trying to get across there is, if we think it'll get us sued, we're rejecting it. Simple. So using copyrighted images, text, character names, etc... puts our lawyer hackles up and can get you rejected. I'm not sure about the idea bit there, as I agree, you can't copyright an idea. But you get the point.



Travis, this is already in the Terms and Conditions when submitting an entry. Is woot just reminding everyone?

lonelypond


quality posts: 435 Private Messages lonelypond
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I've got. Thoughts?



yes, great lines

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I've got. Thoughts?



Kevlar, I just sent you a Private Message.

thevikingartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist



I originally wanted to do something with the buffering symbol or something but couldn't make a good joke without text. so I ended up, as was inevitable, falling to a meme reference. And so: rough sketch of CaveNyan.
As a side note, there is not a single good red in pantone solid coated to match the cavepainting red colour.

Flashkill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flashkill

My guess with the way things have been going lately is that votes won't matter anymore and the staff will just pick their favorites and that is how winners will be selected.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Flashkill wrote:My guess with the way things have been going lately is that votes won't matter anymore and the staff will just pick their favorites and that is how winners will be selected.





(Not that I know. I'm in the dark here too.)



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I got so far...

Gonna keep tweaking... Any advice would be adored...

William Gibson - Conceptual INVENTOR of the intertubes...

Impressionism - Changed world's view on art. Gave impression of reality colored with movement and emotion...

SMOOSHED TOGETHER



celebrity likeness ==> rejectionator risk

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
bassanimation wrote:Haaah I had the same idea! Poot! Very cute ^_^



By all means go ahead and do your own version, chances are I won't get mine finished for the derby, although I am the furthest through any design I've ever been. But I still need to do the shading, and thats where I'll blatantly get stuck and give up ^_^

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I've got. Thoughts?



That is absolutely brilliant. Good luck in the derby, I hope you go far

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

Thanks everyone! I added a bit more background to help complete the composition; I think this is what you'll be seeing in the derby:

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks everyone! I added a bit more background to help complete the composition; I think this is what you'll be seeing in the derby:



Yeah, that new background definitely solidifies the whole image.

loulousq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq

the binary code does have meaning :P

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates
lyonscc wrote:I think mine this week will deal with all of the doomsday cults and predictions that have spread due to the internet, with the current one being 12-21-2012. I also enjoyed the Art Nouveau week, so I've used that particular style.



Note that it is 11:55 on 12/21



Hate to sound like a hater, but...
I am struggling with this derby for the exact reason that this design does not fit the theme. I can think of plenty of ideas that hit one, but not the other. Just because something is ON the internet doesn't mean that it is significant TO the history of the internet.
Great design, BTW, it may stay because woot can be inconsistent sometimes. But I would never take the time to design something like that, full well knowing that it's skirting the rejectionator...

cdrewlow


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks everyone! I added a bit more background to help complete the composition; I think this is what you'll be seeing in the derby:



This is fantastic. You nailed the theme perfectly.

cdrewlow


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
benjaminleebates wrote:Hate to sound like a hater, but...
I am struggling with this derby for the exact reason that this design does not fit the theme. I can think of plenty of ideas that hit one, but not the other. Just because something is ON the internet doesn't mean that it is significant TO the history of the internet.
Great design, BTW, it may stay because woot can be inconsistent sometimes. But I would never take the time to design something like that, full well knowing that it's skirting the rejectionator...



I agree. It's a cool design, but doomsday cults have been around for centuries and don't make me think of the web. They make me think of comets and Nikes.

autsey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

YAY! I read your post idea this morning and wailed "Oh nooooo!" because I was up in the wee hours working on a prehistoric art idea as well, but we have different concepts. I'm SO happy I don't have to redo mine, and I like your idea a lot. This is going to be fun!

thevikingartist wrote:

I originally wanted to do something with the buffering symbol or something but couldn't make a good joke without text. so I ended up, as was inevitable, falling to a meme reference. And so: rough sketch of CaveNyan.
As a side note, there is not a single good red in pantone solid coated to match the cavepainting red colour.



curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

really nice Kevlar

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
benjaminleebates wrote:Hate to sound like a hater, but...
I am struggling with this derby for the exact reason that this design does not fit the theme. I can think of plenty of ideas that hit one, but not the other. Just because something is ON the internet doesn't mean that it is significant TO the history of the internet.
Great design, BTW, it may stay because woot can be inconsistent sometimes. But I would never take the time to design something like that, full well knowing that it's skirting the rejectionator...


I was having trouble, too. The Derby talks about "the best moments in Internet history", and one of my first thoughts (as a fringe IT-ish project manager) was "Y2K" and the proliferation of survivalist nutcases spawned by the internet. It could just be that I've got some batty friends, but most of my "friendly fire" spam is about the end of the world - whether it was the May 21, 2011 guy or the next one in line, 12-21-12 and the whole Mayan Calendar thing (like http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Mayan-Calendar/?upcoming ).

I suppose if it gets rejected, I'll just save it for a later one and/or submit it as a daily, or - maybe it will fit in the *new* paradigm (whatever that is)....

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
kevlar51 wrote:Here's what I've got. Thoughts?



I'm going to stop trying now... This is great!

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks everyone! I added a bit more background to help complete the composition; I think this is what you'll be seeing in the derby:



Really well done. It looks to be Art Deco style, which is funny because my entry is also Art Deco -totally different topics though. I've got the the internet's most wanted criminal worms.

Great job, there will be a +1 from me..... unless we are head to head in the fog ;-)

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
lyonscc wrote:I was having trouble, too. The Derby talks about "the best moments in Internet history", and one of my first thoughts (as a fringe IT-ish project manager) was "Y2K" and the proliferation of survivalist nutcases spawned by the internet. It could just be that I've got some batty friends, but most of my "friendly fire" spam is about the end of the world - whether it was the May 21, 2011 guy or the next one in line, 12-21-12 and the whole Mayan Calendar thing (like http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Mayan-Calendar/?upcoming ).

I suppose if it gets rejected, I'll just save it for a later one and/or submit it as a daily, or - maybe it will fit in the *new* paradigm (whatever that is)....



I really liked your design - and I'm a fan of Art Nouveau. When I first saw it, I thought a take on Salvidor Dali's persistance of memory would play well too.

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

File Sharing - Retro

damzal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages damzal
SkekTek wrote:Derby change:

Tuesday: Theme announced and submissions opened. [Purpose- by this time, the fog is pretty much set and people start tuning out unless they have a dog in the race. This allows artists time to design, perfect, and submit their ideas. It also gives Woot time to look over them, and reject designs that don't meet the theme or are unprintable BEFORE they get votes and/or fan momentum]

Friday: Close acceptance of entries and reveal all approved designs for the derby [Purpose: Every design gets the same amount of time for votes, and removes all instances of "design theft" where someone sees what's in the fog and makes a very similar design to submit].

Every other procedure remains in place (fog, hotness, prints, etc).



I like this idea the best. I am surprised it isn't handled this way already. I also agree that the artist name should be blocked until the end, but user comments should still hold the poster accountable by showing their names.
I want to see voting based on the merit of the design posted all at once, not based on strategies and voting windows and playing favorites. Just my 2 cents.

damzal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages damzal
bounty42 wrote:They actually didn't have *ANY* plans for a change, but they knew they wanted to make one, so they said something here and we're doing the brainstorming for the meeting on Monday.



LOL, that was the FIRST thought I had, HAHA!!

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
thevikingartist wrote:

I originally wanted to do something with the buffering symbol or something but couldn't make a good joke without text. so I ended up, as was inevitable, falling to a meme reference. And so: rough sketch of CaveNyan.
As a side note, there is not a single good red in pantone solid coated to match the cavepainting red colour.



I'm assuming the edge is supposed to look like stalagmites and stalactites - how about making that more natural looking and give it some contrast with the wall with the cave painting?

oakenspirit


quality posts: 86 Private Messages oakenspirit
no1 wrote:celebrity likeness ==> rejectionator risk



Ack...

You are right. I wasn't thinking because I got lost in my idea.

So sad.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
oakenspirit wrote:Ack...

You are right. I wasn't thinking because I got lost in my idea.

So sad.



me too. i just finished re-reading neuromancer a coupla days ago.

oakenspirit


quality posts: 86 Private Messages oakenspirit

Okay...
I cried all night about william gibson...

then went to ZOMBO.COM to purge and reset...

Then built this....



Any suggestions?

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle

Well, for the first time ever Iv finished a design. Turns out I haven't really got the knack of halftones and I need more practice to work it all out. :/

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

SkekTek wrote:It's mostly safe... I will say that I posted that because I also am working on a design of that nature.



Ah, maybe I'll do something else anyway... these last couple derbies haven't hit my inspiration button.

thevikingartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist
lilsquiggle wrote:Well, for the first time ever Iv finished a design. Turns out I haven't really got the knack of halftones and I need more practice to work it all out. :/



Do all of the halftones manually with the basic brush tool ;D

lenjennings


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lenjennings
shikausstan wrote:File Sharing - Retro



And now that I've read this on the internet, I accept it as truth!

lenjennings


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lenjennings
oakenspirit wrote:Here's what I got so far...

Gonna keep tweaking... Any advice would be adored...

William Gibson - Conceptual INVENTOR of the intertubes...

Impressionism - Changed world's view on art. Gave impression of reality colored with movement and emotion...

SMOOSHED TOGETHER



Steal your own design and do another of Al Gore!

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
thevikingartist wrote:Do all of the halftones manually with the basic brush tool ;D



Really? That seems longwinded and awkward? I followed the tutorials in the artists resources. The halftone dots looked awful, partly because they seemed to be reversed to how I wanted them. The dots were see through and the surrounds were coloured >.> And well you can see how the lines came out. Just feels awkward and doesn't look great. Im thinking its possibly my shading style maybe. Im not a very instinctive artist, I've always been a doodler. So taking things from doodle to finished is pretty hard work for me ^_^

lenjennings


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lenjennings
lilsquiggle wrote:Really? That seems longwinded and awkward? I followed the tutorials in the artists resources. The halftone dots looked awful, partly because they seemed to be reversed to how I wanted them. The dots were see through and the surrounds were coloured >.> And well you can see how the lines came out. Just feels awkward and doesn't look great. Im thinking its possibly my shading style maybe. Im not a very instinctive artist, I've always been a doodler. So taking things from doodle to finished is pretty hard work for me ^_^



Yeah, you shouldn't have to do your own halftones anyway. That's the job of a production artist and most designers have no clue on how to do this. It's actually pretty complex to do manually which is why there's software that does it for you now and it isn't Photoshop. But you would have to design the art to go on a white or black background, or both if the design was going on both light and dark shirts. Just my .02 cents.